Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DCcrazy

REMINISCE THREAD...FOR WORD NERDS OLD AND NEW !! PLEASE COME IN

Guest Guest
I started watching the last week of February. My husband had to go on a business trip and was in LA (somewhere) for a week. He's never had THAT happen before where I couldn't even know where he was or talk to him all week.

I had been having some severe medication issues, infact, that Sunday before he left, I was rushed to the ER for heart crap. It was a new med causing MAJOR problems with my mood/heart/head. He had to leave the next day.

I was terrified. I can't explain it, it was the worst anxiety I have ever experienced in my life. My mother had to come stay with me after work, and I had to go to my In-laws during the day. I was eating Tranks like they were candy and it wasn't helping.

One night, Mom wanted to watch her shows. I figured hell, ANYTHING to get my mind off Hubby being gone. So, we watched and I think it was the top 24. He caught my attention because of the way he handled himself on the stage, better than the others.
I wasn't sure about his voice, but I think I was having issues getting past the hair. I couldn't decide between him or Robbie.

Well, the next week, hubby came back, I had serious pnumonia (Yeah, I always have the fun things happen) and all I could do was watch tv.

Watched it again and I can't remember if it was Alright Now or Happy Together at the moment. But I remember liking him more and then, HELLO!!! Hello happened and I was gone. That little sneer at "or is someone loving you" just grabbed my hair follicles.

I ran to AI and the rest is history!!

kcbban wrote:

Edited to add: wow, yoko, that was kind of serious...LOL...don't see that often from you!! he he
Whaddayamean? I am always very serious about my musical obsession investment. Seriously. Wink

I loved being apart of it! Giving back is what it is all about! He has given so much of himself to us, his fans!
He took a lot of chances and we were there to back him unconditionally. I know we will continue to do so!!
And it has given him faith in us that we will always back him, and he can be himself.

Hunt, I have to comment about you saying you couldn't decide between David or Robbie. Robbie was the reason we started watching this season (he's local), and the reason I did not like David the first time I saw him (ARN). How dare they call my guy a phony and this guy the "real rocker". BWAH!!! Though I was very conflicted because my heart wanted to like David. He was a Word Nerd for crying out loud! Luckily that was Robbie's last week and my problem was solved. So, see, some good did come from Robbie being on the show. LOL

Stacy, the book looks fantastic!! Aren't we so purty?? haha! I can't wait to see more of it and also Dave's reaction to it....Thanks to you and everyone else who has been involved in getting it together....

DCCrazy, I'm so glad you told the whole story about the gift baskets.....I remember him talking about the "girly calendars" on TRL and you guys were over on AI laughing about Michael and I was so out of the loop! So, thanks for the info!! haha I kept hearing about gifts and never was a part of one until Daina posted something about the boots.....I got on PayPal immediately! haha He was getting the boots if I had to pay for them by myself!

It's so cool to feel like a part of something bigger than yourself...And the fact that we support a man who gives us those shout outs (even though he owes us nothing!) and really shows that he appreciates us is even more gratifying....

The book looks great!!

Here's my story......

I liked Mr. DC from the start but I wasn't in full blow ocdcd yet. I knew he was one to watch Smile After Day Tripper, my interests were definatley peaked and I started lerking on the AI board and got AH. I started falling for him as an artist after that, then somewhere I read about his brother....

Not to go into DC's personal life or anything too much but my brother (22yrs old) also has brain cancer. Knowing firsthand how hard it is to watch a sibling fighting this battle while you sit there feeling helpless and guilty gave me a new found appreciation for David on another level. This man has the fortitude to work through these feelings and move forward, putting on an amazing show each week and to follow his dreams!

After I found out about my brother, (it's really complicated and he's in a bad way, he needs 24hr. care) I pretty much quit my life; I dropped outta medical school and isolated myself away to just my family. Well DC has inspiried me to start accepting my brother's disease and all things that come with it. DC and all you word nerds have helped me find some joy and goodtimes! I thank the wonderfully amazing brave David Cook everyday for helping me realize that it's ok to do things for yourself sometimes and it's ok to let go of all the guilt and sadness (a work in progress but at least it's progress :0 ) Well needless to say I am now a full blown WordNerd, I love the man not only for his mind blowing musical talent but for the inspiring, strong, kindhearted man that he is.

DC and you all mean a great world to me! Sorry for the long post..

Flower Bouquet

Argh! You guys have me crying again.

Can you all do me a favor? We have a thread in the About the Word Nerds that is What It Means To Be A "Word Nerd" And How I Came To Be One that it would be great if everyone told their stories in there too.

Flower BouquetAwww Love

I love you guys!

@Piper wrote:
Tainda, thanks for making me spit Diet Coke all over my screen!

I remember EXACTLY when I became involved here. I wasn't shy about being here, ever, lol. David Cook had me at "Hello." I had never voted that early in the show or committed to a favorite anywhere near that early, or voted the full 2 hours in all the previous 6 seasons. I had made an account the year before but only posted like 20 times 'cause I wasn't that into it. But as soon as my cramping hands put the phone down that night, I came straight over to the AI boards - I just HAD to find people to talk to about how amazing David Cook is. Ten days later, I was running the fanlisting, lol. Yeah, DC inspired me and I don't do anything half-assed.

Here's the cover again:

cheers I've loved to see my picture in the cover !!!
I've almost lost this chance ! Thanks once more my dear !!!
Yahoo!

that is amazing it is so cool David will c me and my lil sis it is perfect

made wrote:
WOW!!!Huge thanks to lovincook, realiTV, jodie and all the people involved in this amazing project which has now become a reality!!! I can see me there Very Happy

The book looks just awesome and will surely be something David will treasure for life!

Blow Kisses

Thank you Made, but I can claim no role in this one...this was all realiTV and lovincook!

Back in a minute after I finish reading and wiping the tears...to tell the rest of the story about the white belt and the whole outfit...

*cries at the amazing beauty of this thread*

For those of us who weren't official word nerds back then, thanks for catching us up on the history of all the gifts and signals. What a great group of people!!

Group Hug2

@ananda wrote:
Quote :
how can it be that a bunch of total strangers 5 months ago decide that they love this guys music and then magically become this amazing community practically overnight? And the answer is simple - it's David Cook.

Yes,Stacy,answer is pretty simple.He really inspires us.I really love you guys,now you are my friends,my family,my support,and my shoulder for crying.Even you are on the other side of the world,you mean really a lot for me.

I couldnt agree more. I feel like even though we are all strangers, we are all connected through David. He pulled us together, and because of him we found great friends, great support, hilarious comments. We found somebody to talk to here. I guess its just a few more things we can thank Mr.Cook for (:

Gah! I'm so speechless. I guess I'm not a very good word nerd, b/c I'm not so good with words... oh well... You took the words right out my mouth, Ananda! Smile

Jen (originalorange) and Mitsy (ruby2466)... I have to bow to you for having said those words so beautifully!

Thank you David, for bringing us together!! I love my fellow word nerds!! Group Hug1

Hi there, here's my story. Smile I saw DC in the Omaha audition and liked him and his voice right away, although his hairstyle, well, not my favorite of his, LOL. Normally I"m not a rocker lady but there was something about DC I liked. Smile He and Michael Johns I liked totally right away and nothing was going to change me on that. I thought the judges were too hard on those guys early on, especially Simon. I actually liked the 4Horsemen(Luke and Jason Y along with David and Michael) before I knew there was such a thing, but Michael and DC were my top 2. I eventually became word nerd number 598 even though I've always liked David Smile That's it in a nutshell. Smile

made wrote:
@redsoxmom wrote:
OK I'm crying now too.

For the longest time, I was a shy lurker on the periphery of David Cook's Word Nerd World. Oh, I rather quickly became enamored with all that is David based on all that David is. The music, the heart, the kindness, the beauty... we all know!

My involvement in this wonderful community has been rather gradual. Oh, I think my family and friends thought I had gone off the deep end, particularly during my Cook campaign over the last month of Idol (baking cookies for colleagues every Tuesday; buying that Go phone; reminding loved ones that they must vote, vote, vote and vote more!, etc.). After all, I had never "made friends" or participated in an on-line forum. Over a reality show contestant nonetheless!

Well, I believe that no individual has ever been more deserving of success, support, and love than our King Word Nerd. And no group of people could be more welcoming and special than all of you.

Thank you for having me here
(hugs)
Chrissie

Awww Chrissie Awww Love I know exactly how you feel! I'm so so glad you de-lurked and joined our community! Because being a Word Nerd is much more than being a David Cook fan Very Happy There's a special bond between us that hopefully will continue to grow and develop in years to come Smile

AMEN to this!!! Can I get more amens?? Smile

I´m so sad that I didn´t "discover" Cookie before.Of course I knew story about dog tags,but I didn´t participate.Well I was there when you send flowers and I was so excited Very Happy
and when we discussed about that flower on guitar,it brings memories...
I didn´t know, till now that white belt thing,well I found David when he was singing Little sparrow,and that was late.[u]
Stacy~wow,it looks great!So happy that I´m part of this incredible group of people...
at AI forum,my "1st" WN friends were ruby2466 & Anod...I remember when we were talking about sending magazines to me,I was so excited about e-mails that I got.
I´m proud to be a Word Nerd.

Did anyone ever print out the Memory lane threads from David's performances to give to him??

Aw, I love hearing all the stories! I wish I would have joined the AI forums and this place sooner! I barely remember watching David's audition of Living On A Prayer when it first aired. It's silly but the first thing I remember about David that is different was when AI first introduced the top 24 contestants, and seeing him dancing towards the camera and blowing a kiss! lol. The first performance of his that caught my eye was his rendition of Everything I Do (I Do It For You) during the Hollywood round. I was personally a little defensive when Simon said that he would not be able to be a strong performer without his guitar.

It took me awhile for David to grow on me, though. I remember when he performed Elanor Rigby, which wasn't one of my favorite Beatles songs, and it blew me away. It gave me chills. After that I knew I was for David all the way! There was something special about him that made him unique from the others. Finally maybe right before the AI season was over I joined a couple of Facebook groups and another forum. Then eventually I went to AI forums which was not as fun as over here (when I was FINALLY invited)! There is just something special about the bond we share for DC. He has helped us so much in many ways. We are such creative people just coming up with more ways to help out others in need. I feel proud to be a Word Nerd! Very Happy

Guest Guest
Tweeties suggested in the Over 40 thread that I share my story of David's unsolicited "I LOVE the Word Nerds" over on the AI forum, because she thought the Word Nerds who aren't registered here would like to see it. I'm not registered there so if anyone wants to share my story over there (and you don't think you'll get banned for posting something from another forum) feel free to do that. All Word Nerds should know how he loves us.

@ananda wrote:
I´m so sad that I didn´t "discover" Cookie before.Of course I knew story about dog tags,but I didn´t participate.Well I was there when you send flowers and I was so excited Very Happy
and when we discussed about that flower on guitar,it brings memories...
I didn´t know, till now that white belt thing,well I found David when he was singing Little sparrow,and that was late.[u]
Stacy~wow,it looks great!So happy that I´m part of this incredible group of people...
at AI forum,my "1st" WN friends were ruby2466 & Anod...I remember when we were talking about sending magazines to me,I was so excited about e-mails that I got.
I´m proud to be a Word Nerd.

BIGGGGG HUG for my Ananda!!! Smile And ANOD!!! Smile It's part of what being a Word Nerd is all about. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

LOVE THIS THREAD !!!! Stacy the cover looks AMAZING !!!!!!

Maybe we could make this a sticky or move the group gift stories to the about the word nerd section ????

I have read my way through this thread and ended up crying my eyes out. What a fantabulous bunch of people we have here and I am so very honoured to be allowed to be just a small part of that! Thank you all so very much!!

@DCcrazy wrote:
LOVE THIS THREAD !!!! Stacy the cover looks AMAZING !!!!!!

Maybe we could make this a sticky or move the group gift stories to the about the word nerd section ????

I know several of us have "MOVED" our stories over to the What it Means to Be a Word Nerd and How I Became One thread there as well at Stacy/Megan's request! Smile

It's all so crazy cool!!!

huntwork wrote:
Here is what the collage says to me: A tapestry of humanity linked together by a magic rainbow.

Amen!

Stacy, what an incredible cover you have created!
Thank you for being so wonderful.

I love you all and thank you!

Ananda, on the book cover, I tried to put pictures of daughters or other little relatives below of their mothers. And Becca pointed out that I put your picture below mine, like you're my adopted Word Nerd daughter or something - I like that!

You guys all make me proud to be able to call myself a Word Nerd. Oh, speaking of, I've got some people waiting to become official... I'd better warm up my magic number fairy wand and head over to the fanlisting!

Group Hug1

The back cover is perfect! I know I have said it before, but thanks for putting all this effort into the book Stacy. (:

I'm not even halfway through page 3 of this thread and I'm already looking like a snot-faced kid!! All this love is just too much to take!! But I echo Stacy's sentiment: it's powerfully humbling to see how this one man has brought us all together, inspired us, and created a community of people from different walks of life who respect and encourage each other! Makes me wonder what David will think when he realises what he's unwittingly gone and done.

Group Hug1

^^^ The back cover...^^^ It made me cry a little.

Awww...I'm reading this thread (tearing, laughing, sighing) and remembering all the happy times and fun we had. I miss those days........but we have so many better ones to come!
Thanks DCCrazy for starting this thread. I needed it!

Wow, that book cover is amazing. He is going to love it. Congratulations, Stacy. You girls are really a great bunch.

I only joined and started posting late so I wasn't involved in all the presents but I was lurking for a good while and I clearly remember seeing the photo of all the bunch of flowers from the Top 3 week and thinking that was crazy... in a very good way!

And I also remembered the first time I started reading the AI board how relieved I was to see that I wasn't the only one feeling that way about David. Because I was finding those feelings very disturbing at the beginning, I have to say. Nothing like that had ever happened to me and I kept thinking that it couldn't be right to feel so strongly for someone who was on a TV show!! Something was not right in my head.

But now, I feel much better and I know there is nothing wrong with me (well, almost..but that's another subject, lol). And without even knowing it, you all helped me a lot in feeling the way I do now.

Thank you.

So I'm finally getting around to writing the crazy sexy story about the infamous white belt...

It all started the weekend before ER...It was Sunday afternoon and a few of us were in a thread called "DC, dress for success..." which was created for us to talk about what we would like to see him wear and I was like the 5th or 6th post I think and in the first one I said:

Green hat
Brown Leather Jacket
Dusty Dark Green Shirt
White Belt
Black Jeans

in the second post I changed it to:

Green Hat
Black Leather Jacket
Dusty Dark Green Shirt
White Belt
Black Jeans

And several of the girls started asking why to the white belt...well I tried to explain that it was like the sexiest thing ever...

And then someone posted that "we'll just let Jodie have DC's white belt in her fantasy" and I was like, "Does that mean that I get to be the one to take it off?" and people just kept laughing at how odd it was that I had a thing with white belts on guys....so I started posting about the white belt in every thread...finding a way to throw it into conversation...lol....and I also posted some pictures of Constantine wearing white belts and then people started to get it a little...but then RealiTVLover posted the most hilarious pic of DC with a photoshopped huge 80's white belt on his hip that was hilarious...

And of course we none of us had any idea that he was reading the boards apparently that afternoon...

Well later that week before the show on Tuesday, I had turned off the computer and was kinda just chatting with sis before it comes on and I told her what we Word Nerds had been up to last Sunday and she thought we were nuts, but she was also already aware of my white belt thing, so that was not so shocking to her...but she was laughing at the idea of us all having a conversation about what he should wear and talking about the white belt...lol

Show time...Cookie was up like second that night? Can't remember, but we were tivoing it and it's Cookie's turn...sitting there watching it with sis and out comes Cookie, starts singing...and I instantly paused the TV...my sister kinda pauses in confusion and looks back and me like "what" then looks back at the tv and goes, "OMG...no way"

Yes way! He totally wore the freakin outfit...even the dusty dark green shirt...INSANE! It took me quiet a while to wrap my head around that one...

But what was great was that he kept wearing it for almost every performance and results shows after that...CRAZY...

He had worn that white belt once before that...so at first I couldn't be sure that the whole thing wasn't just a coincidence, but then he just kept on wearing it over and over again and then I knew...I'd like to think I know anyway...but I wouldn't dare ever ask, cuz what if he was like, "huh?" lol

If DC did read that thread and saw that pic posted of him...right after the sexy ones of Constantine, he may just have thought, "I have got to prove that I look better in a white belt than that!!!" hahahaha

After this whole ER week thing happened, I got dubbed Fashion Word Nerd and *light bulb* the Word Nerd Title Thread was born...

Guest Guest
Wow!!! Coincidence???? Nah! He was totally reading the boards!!! That's what I choose to believe....... amazing.....

And Jody (or is it Jodie?), I think you SHOULD ask him someday!!! But he'd probably say "Huh?" whether it is true or not just to mess with you/us....LOL

Ah, Jody, I'm SO glad you posted your white belt story for everyone! That day with the white belt, the Word Nerds were all on FIRE with hilarity and creativity, and so thinking of David reading all our silliness that day - I love it! (Except that that was the Coach Frank day too, which I'm terribly embarrassed if he saw that... kinda - that was really hilarious as well!)

I love the idea of him wearing it to prove he's hotter in a white belt than Constantine is - that's friggin hilarious! But he wore it for Jody.

That week, we were like, that can't just be coincidence. And the next week was the first of The Signal, so even though we knew in our hearts that the white belt was not coincidence, The Signal proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was checking in on us a little.... which I try not to think about, lol, cause it kinda freaks me out. Jody, when you meet him, if you tell him you're Jody of the white belt, I bet he'll recognize you! Omg, I just thought of something - you should totally give him a new white belt as a gift at your tour stop! (Preferably not the one in my photoshop picture.)

Jody and everybody tells their stories so well, I hope all of you who were not there at the time feel like you were there now. Cause it doesn't matter when you became an official Word Nerd, if you love David Cook, then all the signals he has given all along were for you too. And as he spontaneously said to Jeannie in the autograph line before the Utah show, with big, warm smile erupting from that face we know and love so well, "I LOVE the Word Nerds."

I love the Word Nerds too! Group Hug2

I'm so glad you all are posting all of this. I was late to join so I wasn't there for all of it. I remember lurking on the AI boards and reading about the signal. But the rest of this I had no idea about. I wish I would have joined sooner. You all are a great bunch of people. I know that it's helped me realize that I'm not crazy (ok, maybe a little Very Happy ) but that there are a lot of other people out there that feel the same way about David that I do. I seriously thought there was something wrong with me. I didn't think it was right that I was totally falling for someone that I'd never met. But now I know that I'm pretty normal and it's nice to know that I have a place to go where everyone feels the way I do. Love you guys!

Blow Kisses

OMG, that photoshopped white belt is hilarious! It looks like one my college room mate wore back in the day with her "big Benetton tops"!

My goodness Jodie, you are one influential woman!

OMG! You guys are amazing! Can't help it but I have tears now. Stacy, thanks for doing this. This is the best gift we'll ever send him. The back cover was simply heart-warming: flower and signal. it crushed my heart-in a god way.

Oh God, that white belt story is fantastic. Damn, I should have joined earlier.

Thanks a lot for tellling all these (his)stories. Keep 'em coming, I love it!

Here is a post I wrote on AI Board in the morning of May 21, 2008. It feels like such a long time ago.

David “Sings outside the Box (American Idol Box, that is)” and comes out as a winner

Last night, David chose songs that were atrociously unfit for AI finales (*1) in order to stay true to himself (*2) and show the fans and record company executives what types of albums he will be making (*3).

David did not choose sappy ballads or cheesy uplifters that conform nicely inside the box called “American Idol Finale.” Instead, he used the AI Finale to explain that he will be making music that spans from gritty rock music to tender yet emotional ballads. He used the AI Finale to eloquently show the world what kind of a career he is going to have as a musician.

His career is going to be so much bigger than the box called American Idol.

That is why David was the winner last night in spite of Simon’s comments. I was deeply moved by his song choices and delivery.

(*1) Simon Cowell
(*2) Paula Abdul
(*3) Randy Jackson

omg that sentiment totally caught me eye as I was formatting them for the book! I loved the way you put that coherent thought together from pieces of the judges comments. On review, a lot of what they actually said was not as negative as I perceived it to be as it was unfolding that night.

Off-topic, but it seemed to me over the course of the season that if you listened to the words they were saying and not their mood, you could see the game they were playing with America: They alternated their David praise, one week loving only our David, the next loving only Archie. But if you look at their comments like in a transcript, you can see the difference in the actual words used, and that they really saw in our David what we all do but wanted to keep the "contest" tight. Hmm, if I had time, I would actually transcribe them all to show what I'm talking about, but... I'm at work, lol!

Someone on dc.org actually did transcribe all of Paula's and Simon's comments over the season; those were very interesting threads. I see if I can find them and post the links.

Off-topic, but it seemed to me over the course of the season that if you listened to the words they were saying and not their mood, you could see the game they were playing with America: They alternated their David praise, one week loving only our David, the next loving only Archie. But if you look at their comments like in a transcript, you can see the difference in the actual words used, and that they really saw in our David what we all do but wanted to keep the "contest" tight. Hmm, if I had time, I would actually transcribe them all to show what I'm talking about, but... I'm at work, lol!
It is not OT at all, Stacy! We lived and died for each word they threw at David! It seems almost absurd in the hindsight. Those are the good old days we can now reminisce and laugh about.

Guest Guest
Thank you for finding those. It's really interesting to look back at the judge's comments.

ok...THIS is hilarious!! And I need that belt...I have an 80's party when I go to Vegas and that would work perfectly with some leggings and an oversized top! LOL

lol, Mary - you probably actually could find something like it these days, well, maybe not with quite that much bling.

I wish I had photoshopped the "Physical" outfit we had him in one night with a turquoise unitard and everything, lol. But then, now that we've actually seen him in green spandex, yeah that wasn't good, lol.

Thanks, everyone for all the compliments on the book covers! I'm getting lots of warm fuzzies, but I always do hanging out with my fellow Word Nerds!

i have just read this whole thread and am so touched by all the stories knowing that wow i believe i maybe an original wordnerd because i was apart of all the gifts. i remember getting ready to watch american idol with my aunt because we watch it every year together and then watching david sing living on a prayer and my aunt and i saying hes awesome. i even thought to myself i hope he wins. i dont remember when i actually first started posting on the ai boards because i remember registering a while before the season started and not posting but something came over me and i went on to read everyones thoughts and just had to start posting because these people are people that have the same opinions as i do about DC and know what i am feeling. it was a great feeling. i remember the little contest we had between the different contestant forums trying to get the most post and topics and i started me first thread about coming in to rest from posting and it really took off. i might some really great wordnerds that keep that thread alive with me. i remember the first time a helpful wordnerd taught me how to post a pic and we all know what happened after that. i remember picking my phone up to donate money for idol gives back just because this guy inspired me to, i remember sending money to help get adam to the finale, i remember ordering flowers for a guy i didnt really know, i remember sending money for the other group gifts, i remember sending money to help another wordnerd go to a concert and sending magazines with DC in them to a fellow wordnerd in malaysia and i remember thinking if i never watched DC i never would have tapped into my giving part of my personality as much as i have done lately. I believe i am better person because of how much DC has inspired me and so many other wordnerds. i have never donated anything before this season of idol. participating in all the gifts and other projects will be something i will always remember. i have become friends will a fanbase that has been so amazing, caring, loving, helpful, and so many other things to me that i am so greatful to be associated with the wordnerds. so thank you to all wordnerds and sorry this is so long. i just wanted to share this with everyone!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.