{Lyrics courtesy of DCO}

He'll never let the words
Get the best of him
Get the best of him

This city feels low
Against the gleam and the glow
Of his diligence to their elegance
Just with anger filled..

Wow, no one's talking about this song...

I LOVE IT! cheers

Am I crazy that this made me think of Edward Scissorhands?? Maybe because David mentioned Tim Burton when talking about this song...

Guest dawtreecookie

I think this is my favourite song today.

TODAY.

I'm sure it will change many times Razz

You can see Raine all over this one. AH!! I just love it so much.

I keep changing favourites but this one is really special for me because it's the one that struck me most first time I heard the album. The intro is superb, I love the story the song tells, I love how the verses are slower and then how he screams out that he would like to introduce Mr Sensitive.

Splendid. Can't wait to see it live.

i change my favorites everyday lol but this is definately one of them...lol but i really love all of them

Guest dawtreecookie

I think this is still my favourite. But it's like picking a child you love more Razz

*whispers* But I like this one the best. For now.

Quote :
The one who never let the worst get the best of him

I still adore this song and the story it tells. Also makes me want to give David a big hug. Is that weird?

This song seems to be an underdog song on the album. I've noticed that people's reactions to it tend to be extreme; it's either a favorite or a least favorite, but it's rarely in the middle for anyone.

I guess I can understand why not everyone likes it. It's confusing to some people and it has a somewhat "dark" feel to it, but those are the exact reasons why the song appeals to me. It's so interesting. It's about a child who dares to feel in a world that is essentially without feeling. The child is seen as a threat because he is different from everyone else. He's an outsider, and I'm sure everyone can relate to feeling like that at some point in their lives. I know I can relate to it.

I really love this song. Honestly, the more I hear it the more it grows on me. Does anyone else feel this way?

^ Well said! But I've loved it from the first time I heard it. I also noticed it's not mentioned a lot, either. The darkness to it makes it more interesting to me too. Like I said before, makes me think of Edward Scissorhands, lol.

I also think it's partly David speaking of himself. The struggles he's went through in life. The way he bares himself in his music and isn't afraid to be "sensitive". Being called the underdog on AI for a while.

Plus I just think the lyrics kick ass in this song! cheers

Yes! I'm glad you find the darkness of the song appealing too. And the way that David bares his soul through his lyrics and isn't afraid to just be himself is something that I love so much about him. He is a sensitve guy and he's not afraid to show that side of himself.

...the one who never let the worst get the best of him. That's my favorite part of the song. That just sums it all up for me. That maybe David sees himself as that guy who nevers lets the worst get the best of him.

And the lyrics really do kick some serious ass in this song! Very Happy

Guest dawtreecookie
This song seems to be an underdog song on the album. I've noticed that people's reactions to it tend to be extreme; it's either a favorite or a least favorite, but it's rarely in the middle for anyone.

I guess I can understand why not everyone likes it. It's confusing to some people and it has a somewhat "dark" feel to it, but those are the exact reasons why the song appeals to me. It's so interesting. It's about a child who dares to feel in a world that is essentially without feeling. The child is seen as a threat because he is different from everyone else. He's an outsider, and I'm sure everyone can relate to feeling like that at some point in their lives. I know I can relate to it.

I really love this song. Honestly, the more I hear it the more it grows on me. Does anyone else feel this way?

I love this song. It's my favourite. I adore it. It's totally a stand-out track on the whole album for me.

Did I mention that I love it?

And to be honest it makes me a little sad that a lot of people on here either don't like it or don't seem to get it or connect to it as much as I would have expected them to. Every time someone says they don't like it, or it's near the bottom of the list, it's like a little stab to my heart. I don't know, it's just disappointing.

But I guess that's subjective tastes for you..

And to be honest it makes me a little sad that a lot of people on here either don't like it or don't seem to get it or connect to it as much as I would have expected them to. Every time someone says they don't like it, or it's near the bottom of the list, it's like a little stab to my heart. I don't know, it's just disappointing.

But I guess that's subjective tastes for you..

Exactly. Tastes are very subjective. It's always so strange how the same song that someone loves the most can be someone else's least favorite.

In regards to this song I think that some people are actually afraid of it. As I said before it's dark and it's not exactly a happy song and some people don't like that. And others don't understand the meaning of it. But for me I feel a sort of kinship to the boy in the song. He's an outsider who is being shunned by his community and eventually they actually kill him because they're so afraid of him. It's such an interesting premise for a song. And while I've never been publicly ostracized like the boy in the song, I've certainly felt like an outsider before.

Guest dawtreecookie
Wow I just listened to this song again after today, and it just really got to me. Especially the "They throw their stones at bricks and bones, He didn't stand a chance they said, etc." part. I had chills. David sounds so angry singing it, that it really lends to the story. He's a very good story-teller. I never really thought about it as them physically attacking him in that verse.
Freaky.... *chills*
But I love it even more... I'm like friggin obsessed with this song. It's amazing.

This is what David said about the song in an interview that he did with EW a few weeks ago:

Was the title of ''Mr. Sensitive'' meant to be ironic in any way?

The song was unintentionally ironic. I had the harmonic riff in my head for five months. In my lyric journal, I had ''Mr. Sincere'' written down, and sincere turned into sensitive. I wanted to write about something outside myself and get a little metaphorical. He lives in a village devoid of feeling. They get so afraid of this child who has feelings that they kill him. It kind of took on this Tim Burton-like, twisted vision of James and the Giant Peach for me. But I know people look at me as that sensitive guy.

I read this interview before I'd ever even heard the song so I had some idea of what the song was about before I'd ever listened to it. David explicitly says that they do actually kill the boy, which is sad, but it also makes a strong statement. This song is really incredible.

And I have to mention how much I LOVE the fact that David keeps a lyric journal! Awww Love

Dawtree - I'm so with you on this song! It stood out to me as well, and I'm crazy about it. Like you, I really don't understand people not liking it. To me, this song is heartbreaking. Does that sound crazy? Even if David isn't speaking of himself in a sense, the way he sings it is so passionate.

This song actually does make me think of David. A lot of people today can seem shallow or void of feeling. They are afrad to get too real or too deep. But in his music, and even in his own life, David is able to share himself and bare his soul. It bothers me when people think guys have to be tough all the time. So it's refreshing that David is "sensitive". I love that quality about him.

OMG, Jen and Dawtree, you expressed exactly what I think.

First time I listened to the album, Mr Sensitive is the one that struck me most and I was really surprised to see that not everyone was going crazy for that song. It is incredible musically and lyrically. The story it tells is heartbreaking yes and it's so beautifully told. Superb song.

Ok, I just realised I had already posted on this thread and I pretty much repeated what I said before LOL . But ah well, this song is worth the double post!

I really can't wait to hear him sing this live!!! Especially the line Dawtree mentioned:
"They throw their stones at bricks and bones, He didn't stand a chance they said"

God yes, that line is amazing! And the famous "This city feels low against the gleam and the glow of his diligence to their elegance". I can't get enough of that sentence, I want to see him sing it in front of me.

Guest dawtreecookie

And well when I saw him do this song, I had never heard the songs before that moment, so I had no clue what he was singing, just that it sounded brilliant. So I really really can't wait to see him again when I actually KNOW the songs and am not having a freak-out starstruck moment. Smile And I'll be able to actually know the words he's singing.

Ok, I have chills. I did read that EW article, but I totally forgot when David said that they actually killed him. Wow. That makes it so much more powerful. It sounds morbid, but it makes such a strong statement, I agree.

"He didn't stand a chance they said."
Fuck, that's scary. It's so heart-breaking and sad. And horrible. It's so provocative and deep and twisted and wonderful and crazy though. Any more words?

Well, why wait to hear the song to cry? *cue tears*

Ok, this will now be my *chills* song. It's completely brilliant.

We were talking about the whole "metaphorical" thing in another thread. How this album isn't as metaphorical as his old stuff. And David also said recently (I forget where?) that the problem with metaphors and symbols in songs is that sometimes the message gets lost on people. But this song came through with metaphors/symbols and the message is clear:

Don't kill people.

LMAO, I'm kidding. But seriously. Message received.

I was reading a thread on DCO earlier where people were naming their faves on the album. And almost no one listed this one. So I left a post and asked "Why no love for Mr. Sensitive?" LOL. Seriously! It's a-fuckin-mazing.

^And you're right, it's definitely heartbreaking and brilliant and dark and a bunch of other things. I wonder if it just takes time to grow on some people?

For the love, people, open your ears! Tantrum

LOL. I'm j/k. Kind of. Okay, I know to each their own. I don't really feel it on I Did It For You, so I know we all have our own tastes. But not liking this song baffles me.

Guest dawtreecookie

Yeah it's strange that (generally) people seem to like some of the more pop-y songs, but not many like this one, which to me is a lot closer to what he would have come up with on his own, pre-Idol, pre-record company, in the Axium/Analog days.

Baffling... scratch

And Rebel I did love the lyric journal thing Awww Love

Hm, Mr. Sincere. Interesting that he seems to have so many thoughts and songs about truth/honesty/sincerity vs. lying/not being true.
Maybe he has a chapter in his lyric journal for it. Razz I wanna pinch his cheeks!

And I am curious as to what is in that journal that we have no clue about. I'm sure it's brilliant. I know it is.

Gahhh. I love him. Awww Love

I am also completely baffled that so many people don't love this song. I thought that it would be the kind of song everyone would be unanimous about, a bit like Lie or Bar-ba-sol. I am curious to know why they don't like it so much.

And God, how I would love to see what's in his lyrics journal!

Guest dawtreecookie

Well this song is about to get killed off in the "Idol" game. I officially don't understand about 90% of the Word Nerds Very Sad

But hey, didn't Andrew say it was his fave song on the album? Hug

Guest dawtreecookie
Also, the line "Hear him scream your name" gives me chills. I sort of think of it now as him screaming for help, or screaming just to be heard, or get any kind of real response from anyone. And the way David yells it out, so desperate.

*chilllllllllls*

Also, the line "Hear him scream your name" gives me chills. I sort of think of it now as him screaming for help, or screaming just to be heard, or get any kind of real response from anyone. And the way David yells it out, so desperate.

*chilllllllllls*

I get that when I listen to it too. It really is such a deep song. It's morbid, but I think that there's a sense of hope to it. He dies, but I see it as sort of a martyrs death. He dies for believing in something or daring to do something that no one else would do, and that's beautiful in a way. The lines in the second verse "Just feel anger, feel pain. Feel the sun and the rain. Just feel something, Oh feel something." It's like he's begging them to feel something, to feel anything the way that he does. It's heartbreaking, yet very intriguing as well.

And I'm already in mourning for Mr. Sensitive over in the Idol game because any minute now it's going to be voted off. Crying non-stop

*a moment of silence for Mr. Sensitive*

Yes, Andrew did name Mr. S as a favorite!! cheers I knew I loved him for a reason.

Rebel I think you're right about the part where he's begging them to feel something. This song is so haunting. If I meet David again I want to tell him how amazing it is. I added it to my myspace player the other day and played it over and over and over. Why is it getting voted off the Idol game?? Crying

Guest dawtreecookie
The lines in the second verse "Just feel anger, feel pain. Feel the sun and the rain. Just feel something, Oh feel something." It's like he's begging them to feel something, to feel anything the way that he does. It's heartbreaking, yet very intriguing as well.

It is heart-breaking. But yeah it's hopeful too. Like there are still those individuals who can stand apart from the crowd and appreciate things and not just go through the motions of life unfeeling. And not give in to societal pressure, "never let the worst get the best of them", and all those other corny but true cliches.

*moment of silence for Mr. S.* I guess I better start preparing the vigil. Very Sad Wow, how ironic, he actually died, and now he's dieing in the game. Hmmm... maybe that idea would get him some sympathy votes LOL Face

I'm baffled as to why so many people don't like this song. I really don't understand it. And now one of my other favorites, A Daily AntheM, is taking some hits.

I honestly don't understand how a song like Heroes (which I really do love!) is higher than songs like Mr. Sensitive and A Daily AntheM. I mean, as much as I love Heroes and I never skip over it, it's nowhere near as complex lyrically as Mr. Sensitive or ADAM. Heroes is one of the most "pop" sounding songs on the album and it's up towards the top. But songs that are more gritty or compelling like these two are at risk of getting voted off.

I realize that different people have different tastes, but it still shocks me at times to see which songs people prefer. I guess I've just got more eclectic tastes than a lot of other people.

I would do anything to win over sympathy votes for Mr. S if I thought that it would work. I guess someone should start planning the ceremony though, cause at this point it looks like there's no chance of saving him. Crying

Guest dawtreecookie

But songs that are more gritty or compelling like these two are at risk of getting voted off.
I realize that different people have different tastes, but it still shocks me at times to see which songs people prefer. I guess I've just got more eclectic tastes than a lot of other people.

Yep. It shocks me too to see some of the more complex ones at the bottom, and the fun/nice but much more straight-forward pop songs at the top, like Lie.

I just remembered watching an interview with David, the one where he was making the Light On video, and he said that Mr. Sensitive was one of his favorite songs on the album. He said it was the first song that he wrote after winning Idol. And Andrew said that it's his favorite too, so at least those of us who love it are in good company. Very Happy

Guest dawtreecookie
cheerscheerscheers

See, David? We just get you, man. You too Andrew. Now let's all sit down and have an in-depth conversation about why this song is so full of win. Shall we? Wink

See, David? We just get you, man. You too Andrew. Now let's all sit down and have an in-depth conversation about why this song is so full of win. Shall we? Wink

Yes, yes, yes! I'd love nothing more than to sit down and discuss music and lyrics with David and Andrew. It would be a dream come true. Awww Love

<-------Look at my rank! I'm at Mr. Sensitive! Yahoo!

YAY Rebel!!! Cheers!!

OMG. Can you imagine a music video for Mr. S? In my mind, it's very Tim Burton (like David mentioned). Dark and imaginative, artistic and beautiful.
Thud_old

Do you think this would ever be released as a single?

Guest dawtreecookie

If it was released, the radios all around the world would love plode

I have no idea what the other singles will be, probably Declaration or LOTM. But little Mr. S would be a nice surprise. Someone needs to toss the poor boy a bone!

I seriously think Tim Burton would be salivating if he ever heard this song.

I wouldn't doubt if it was Declaration next, just because of the SNL thing.

And while we're on the subject, let me be honest. I like the live version of Declaration a lot better. Fell in love with it on SNL. Then on the album it just seemed...different. Not that I don't like that version too. But I don't know, it's missing a little of the edginess or something.

Guest dawtreecookie
I wouldn't doubt if it was Declaration next, just because of the SNL thing.

And while we're on the subject, let me be honest. I like the live version of Declaration a lot better. Fell in love with it on SNL. Then on the album it just seemed...different. Not that I don't like that version too. But I don't know, it's missing a little of the edginess or something.

Apparently we should just call these threads "The Official Mind-reading Threads"

Official Mind-reading Threads FTW! Haha.

I actually really like Declaration and I imagine that it'll be the next single, but I agree that it's a much more powerful song when it's performed live. The grandness of the song and the message of it isn't conveyed as strongly on the CD as it is live.

Declaration definitely has more energy live, that's for sure.

And our beloved Mr S. seems to be coming back up a little bit in the Idol game. cheers

I have always loved songs that talk about outkasts, people who are different and who are marginalized by society for that reason and this is what Mr Sensitive is about. This alone is a good reason to make me love the song. But on top of that, the melody is amazing. So really again, why the hell don't people like it???

I was driving around and playing Mr. S, and part of me wanted to start a thread that says "Why the hell isn't Mr. S getting more love??" Not to be mean. I just want to seriously know why this song isn't clicking with some people. Granted, some of the songs don't click with me either. But I just think this song really stands out.

Same here, Jen. I am the first one to recognize that we have different taste and that we don't all like the same thing and I completely respect that but I honestly don't get what David's fans don't like in Mr S.

There are other songs that I absolutely LOVE on this album and that I understand that other fans don't like i.e. Come Back To Me. I can see why some fans don't like it as much but, for Mr Sensitive, sorry, I just don't see it. And I would honestly love to read explanations.