Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tiddly Winks

To chat or not to chat...that is the question

Here's the deal. I am not big into live chats unless I know someone. I can chat with folks here on the facebook chat (when the thing actually works halfway decently). I hate chatting with people I don't know, and specifically, I hate chatting in groups of people I don't know. I just feel violated and uncomfortable when I get into groups on Facebook where I am constantly bugged by the live chat window.

I like chatting with people I'm close friends with. For example, I keep the chat window open specifically for people like Kokonee, who I know in real life. Otherwise, I am not really into it. Call me abnormal, but that's the way I am. I hate, no I loathe groups that will not let people change the settings to block the chat. I am tired of having to close the chat window, because it's not my thing...and then when I do close it, then the bloody thing should stay closed. Right?

Wrong. Every time I go into Facebook, then a group that I really like being a part of automatically opens the chat window. I have tried blocking the chat window on their page, but it will not stay blocked, in fact, five seconds later, I go back to check to make sure it's still blocked and it's not. I finally went to my page, and could only find the chat window for individual friends, but not for groups. So, I wrote the moderator of the group, and am waiting for an answer.

I guess I will ultimately have to delete the group if she doesn't respond. My reason, I'm not really into chatting. Why can't people understand that? Does it make me a sociological hermit? I don't know, but it's really annoying.

I agree with you. I am in introvert in real life, and have found that I am the same on chat and on the forum.

I don't belong to any groups, so don't know how that works. But what I've done is made up different lists for chat. Then I can close the ones I don't want to interact with at the time. There are a couple of real life acquaintances who will talk my leg off if I let them. So being able to close those lists helps a lot. I have one list with only my daughter on it - of course she's also on my "family" list, but sometimes I just don't want to talk to anyone but her if she's available. Would this work for you, Yvette? Again, I don't know how the groups work so maybe this isn't a possibility.

I have most people on a games list, that is the people I play PS or Petville or Happy Pets with. I have had way too many people using the chat function to beg for stuff, which I won't do. I figured that if someone really wanted to talk to me, then they could PM and I could decide when or if I am available to chat. I have actaully made chat appointments with people.

With the facebook group thing (which is really what bugs me) there are 1. a group of about 70 or so members on it, most of which are complete strangers to me, and 2. about seven or eight that are active chatters. I contacted the moderator of this group about it and she told me that she is looking into it. I hope that she will find an answer to it. She doesn't want to lose me as a member because of a facebook issue, but I think it's the settings of that group, which need fixing. It's a rather nice group, so I hope that she will be able to resolve this.

I had one person who would do that (message me to chat and talk me to death) and for my sanity, I finally blocked her from chatting with me. I decided this around the time my husband lost his job, and I simply have other worries. It's sad to be 'friends' with someone who only spoke of their problems and never bothered to ask a simple 'how are you?'. But, that's all resolved now...at least I think so.

I hope the moderator of that group can resolve your problem. Sounds like you are dealing with a large group of people, and so probably more chatters. Yes, it's hard to deal with someone who is mainly focused on her/himself. I know there are many people who love chatting, but it does get wearing sometimes.

I dont like chatting at all, I only logs in when needed, it makes very slow my pc, so its always turned off
I have these settings for groups and chat window never opens
 chat10.jpg

I did that, but the group automatically rechecked the box. That's why I told the moderator that I wasn't happy with it and considered quitting.

Sad Hmm then probably the mod will not be able to change it, you can try to see if its possible to change that creating a group .. just to try settings as admon, I guess it can be deleted later when you have tried all possible changes

Tiddly Winks wrote:
Here's the deal. I am not big into live chats unless I know someone. I can chat with folks here on the facebook chat (when the thing actually works halfway decently). I hate chatting with people I don't know, and specifically, I hate chatting in groups of people I don't know. I just feel violated and uncomfortable when I get into groups on Facebook where I am constantly bugged by the live chat window.

I like chatting with people I'm close friends with. For example, I keep the chat window open specifically for people like Kokonee, who I know in real life. Otherwise, I am not really into it. Call me abnormal, but that's the way I am. I hate, no I loathe groups that will not let people change the settings to block the chat. I am tired of having to close the chat window, because it's not my thing...and then when I do close it, then the bloody thing should stay closed. Right?

Wrong. Every time I go into Facebook, then a group that I really like being a part of automatically opens the chat window. I have tried blocking the chat window on their page, but it will not stay blocked, in fact, five seconds later, I go back to check to make sure it's still blocked and it's not. I finally went to my page, and could only find the chat window for individual friends, but not for groups. So, I wrote the moderator of the group, and am waiting for an answer.

I guess I will ultimately have to delete the group if she doesn't respond. My reason, I'm not really into chatting. Why can't people understand that? Does it make me a sociological hermit? I don't know, but it's really annoying.

Wow, no it doesn't make you a sociological hermit You're just sensible XD

(I don't have anything useful to say, but I really liked reading all the posts in this thread!)