Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iano

Retirement

Where I work we have to use our annual leave by the end of March, system starts again in Arpil

A friend had two weeks off, using accumulated leave otherwise he would have lost it

Asked him how he got, he said he was bored and if that was what retirement is like he didn't care for it

made me think about people I know who are now retired,

the ones who were always into things still are and the ones who weren't do very little

My best fiend, 'motorbike' Andy, got a retirement offer and he does virtually nothing - he isn't married.

Another fiend liked a drink and now retired he's 'topped up' all day but nice with it - he is married

Any thoughts please?

retirement like everything else is what you make of it, if you are a lazy type, not doing anything on your own inititive then when you leave work and the regime of work is gone and you are then left to steer the ship so to speak you kinda ... well sink.
me, i cant wait to retire, as long as you are fit and active the world is still your oyster.

you hit the nail on the head..

that's my fear, i will end up spying on neighbours and being a general nuisance in the locality without that work discipline, hate to admit it.. digging

My Grampy always said to me...you make life as you want it to be...he never gave up anything...he retired from the RAF when he was 50 played Rugby league into his early 50's and weight trained into his 70's he was 6ft 8 and bulit like a censored house he loved life and never gave up anything he enjoyed as for work he always kept himself busy, i miss him dearly and ive taken his advise in life...be happy..dont give up hobbies you enjoy and thank the lord every day for your health Very HappyVery Happythumbs

@Stue11 wrote:
My Grampy always said to me...you make life as you want it to be...he never gave up anything...he retired from the RAF when he was 50 played Rugby league into his early 50's and weight trained into his 70's he was 6ft 8 and bulit like a house he loved life and never gave up anything he enjoyed as for work he always kept himself busy, i miss him dearly and ive taken his advise in life...be happy..dont give up hobbies you enjoy and thank the lord every day for your health Very HappyVery Happy

man after my own heart, spot on Stue.

Its good to retire and if you are bored get a PT few hours a week job. Enjoy life.

long as you got hobbies etc i cant see a problem thing is some folk are so obsessed with the work culture and all that goes with it they got nothing else in life to aim for and when they retire they aint got a clue what to do.
me i cant wait to retire as ive got loads to do and things id like to do thumbsthumbs

good to see positive views on retirement

however just thought of something else,

last year on a bike trip to the coast pulled in at these run down services..

couple of coaches there, parked right outside,

this chap sauntered across and started making conversation is a haphazard/disjointed way

turned out he had retired recently and his mrs had organised the coach outing, he seemed a bit at sea

she came over and took him away after a while, not a good omen.

I would love to retire now i could find all sorts to do with my time. mbike

well im semi retired and i love it only work 4 days a week so im off friday saturday and sunday thumbs

My drinkin bud is same age as me and only does 4 days, has fri sat and sun off and he says he could never go back now.. The jammy censoredVery Happy

@dick65 wrote:
long as you got hobbies etc i cant see a problem thing is some folk are so obsessed with the work culture and all that goes with it they got nothing else in life to aim for and when they retire they aint got a clue what to do.
me i cant wait to retire as ive got loads to do and things id like to do thumbsthumbs

YOU GOT IT RIGHT DICK'... IT'S ALL ABOUT ATTITUDE, I RETIRED (SEMI)A YEAR AGO, AND THIS YEAR PACKED IT UP COMPLETELY..

I DON'T KNOW HOW I FITTED IN GOING TO WORK?? I AM ALWAYS BUSY,AND AM ABLE TO HELP THE FAMILY WITH THEIR JOBS THAT NEED DOING..... PLUS DOING MY HOBBY'S

AND-----------------------------

I CAN GO ON THE BIKE WHENEVER I CHOOSE--WHOOPY - DOO!!!

im afraid to say by the time i get there i wont be able to retire!

@pugeyed wrote:

IT MIGHT SOUND DAFT----- BUT I'M GLAD I'M THE AGE I'M AT..
YOU YOUNGER FOLK HAVE IT ALL TO DO, AND IT WAS HARD WHEN I WAS YOUNG.. BUT THINGS ARE SO MUCH TOUGHER FOR YOU GUYS IN THESE TIMES.
IT WOULDN'T SURPRISE ME IF RETIREMENT AGE WAS PUT UP TO THE MID, TO LATE SEVENTIES..BUT DON'T DESPARE...ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF BEING YOUNG, AND IF YOU HAVE A YOUNG FAMILY, SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS YOU CAN WITH THEM....IT SOON PASSES----SADLY.

@goferit wrote:
@pugeyed wrote:

YOU YOUNGER FOLK HAVE IT ALL TO DO, AND IT WAS HARD WHEN I WAS YOUNG.. BUT THINGS ARE SO MUCH TOUGHER FOR YOU GUYS IN THESE TIMES.
IT WOULDN'T SURPRISE ME IF RETIREMENT AGE WAS PUT UP TO THE MID, TO LATE SEVENTIES..BUT DON'T DESPARE...ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF BEING YOUNG, AND IF YOU HAVE A YOUNG FAMILY, SPEND AS MUCH TIME AS YOU CAN WITH THEM....IT SOON PASSES----SADLY.
thumbsthumbs

hey I'm beginning to feel bad starting this now Sad -

just something that fascinates as people I know retire

@Iano wrote:
hey I'm beginning to feel bad starting this now Sad -

just something that fascinates as people I know retire

LaughingLaughingLaughing

think i'll be working till i drop, wish i could relax more but i can't sit still for very long i have to be doing something all the time, plus i have a family and house to provide for mind i did not expect to be starting another another business at 50.

@goferit wrote:
@pugeyed wrote:

I agree. I retired TWICE! Once at 60 ahd went to live in Tenerife. Loved it and would still be there if missus hadnt stole/plundered pension fund. Came back to UK after losing house, got divorced and worked in London for my old firm for a short contract. Retired fully about 18 months ago. Its a bit of a shock initially both financial and emotional but you learn to adjust. I live alone but am nearly always active. Still got my bike and on clear days i am never in. Put a camping stove in the Givi pack some sarnies and camera and just take off. No time restraints. Stop and brew up in a layby and enjoy the views you were too busy to notice when you worked. Go to the TT every year as well as some BSB rounds. Walk in the winter to keep fit when I cant get out on bike. If youve always been busy and kept your mind active you will find things to keep you going. And yes enjoy your kids while youve got them. Mine have flown the nest. If all else fails read the jokes and comments on this forum!!!!

you're quite a guy, your post reminds me ogri's maxim:-

' STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE ...' Very Happy

@Iano wrote:
you're quite a guy, your post reminds me ogri's maxim:-

' STUFF EVERYTHING - I'VE ALWAYS GOT MY BIKE ...' Very Happy

My bike was a lifesaver as well. At the age of 48 my first wife passed away to cancer. It was bikes and biking that kept me from losing it. Will always be grateful I got into bikes.

sorry to hear that last bit - condolences

I have just retired, two weeks ago. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. On the one hand I'm excited that I will have more time to do the things I enjoy. I have quite a few hobbies, biking, golf, I have an allotment etc, but on the other hand I'm concerned about how my finances will pan out. I think a local part time job might be the answer. Watch this space

yep - trying to master image hosting myself