Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
realiTVlover

Song Snippets and new song This Year discussion thread

Until David or TPTB says something about the song snippets, we have chosen to err on the side of caution since David's interview that they were not purposely "released." However, neither David nor TPTB have asked people to not talk about them so if you downloaded the songs when they were up, we're going to go ahead and open up discussion of them. Also, the songs are out there. There's no putting them back in the box. What's done is done, whether he wanted it or not, and so here is a place to talk about the songs if you want, especially since all talk of them is forbidden at DCO and people seem to really want to talk about them and we are not bound by TPTB here. If you want to talk about whether or not we should share or talk about the songs, this is the thread for that.

*** Please do not post any links to the songs online or for download, or more than a few lines of the lyrics to the songs unless and until further notice. What you do by PMs however is none of my bee's wax.***

The songs are:
Remind Me [Jason Wade, Jude Cole, David Cook]
Maybe Tonight [Jason Wade, Jude Cole, David Cook]
One Second To Change Your Life [Zac Maloy, David Cook]
This Year [David Hodges, Jess Cates, David Cook]
That's What I Get [Amund Bjorklund, Espen Lind, Zac Maloy, David Cook]
That's All [Ed Roland, David Cook]
Thanks For Everything (It's So Sad) [John Randall Fields, Kara Dioguardi, David Cook]
Strange and Beautiful [Raine Maida, David Cook]
Quietly [Daniel Dodd Wilson, David Cook]
Remembering The Days [Zac Maloy, David Cook]
Souvenir [Zac Maloy, David Cook]
We're Only Honest When We're Sleeping [David Cook]

So, what are your thoughts on any or all of the "new" old songs?

The 2 songs by him and Jason Wade were awesome too Kristen Smile Lifehouse has been apart of my life for years and I love that Jason/Dave writing team just made my year Smile

The 2 songs by him and Jason Wade were awesome too Kristen Smile Lifehouse has been apart of my life for years and I love that Jason/Dave writing team just made my year Smile

Yeah, those were also really good. And I do have to say that One Second to Change Your Life is kind of cheesy, and that was a Dave/Zac song, so I guess it's hit or miss. But I do think that song would be a much better Idol coronation song than the crap that they've come up with throughout the last few years.

Yeah, those were also really good. And I do have to say that One Second to Change Your Life is kind of cheesy, and that was a Dave/Zac song, so I guess it's hit or miss. But I do think that song would be a much better Idol coronation song than the crap that they've come up with throughout the last few years.

True, I just wish all the songs would be able to be out there so people can hear them, enjoy them and appreciate the fact that Dave had an input in all of them. They all have their good points.

In the original song snippit thread from yesterday, I wondered whether these songs are possibly "for sale" by Cherry Lane to other artists? Is that how the song writing thing works? I have no idea about that aspect of the music business. Could other artists "buy" these songs to record? I don't know how I would feel about that. On one hand, I would want David to have success in the song writing arena as well as recording/performing, but these are HIS songs, so I don't really want to hear anyone else sing them.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Well, all threads relating to this with links in them on DCO have gone poof including the 2.0 DWoP thread. And I read that Lisa made the announcement that RCA told her to take down the links. I guess these weren't meant to get out to the public.

Well, then, I'll reiterate - NO LINKS!

I've still only listened to them a couple handfuls of times each, and they're so short, that I haven't formed a solid opinion yet on which ones I like best and why. So I'll be back when I do!

So, we don't post the links. But we can still enjoy them and talk about them. I want to listen again before discussing the songs. But I do know this: I did NOT want the songs to end. They are wonderful. I like the more raw sound of his music vs the polished RCA stuff. These songs were amazing.

Hmm, this thread was to be just about discussing the snippets musically & lyrically, and the thread about the interview to be about trying to decipher David's wishes based on that interview. Now this thread is a mish-mash of both. I'm going to see if I can split out the stuff that really belongs in the other thread or if it's too confused. Then we can continue discussion about whether or not we should discuss it there, and leave this thread purely about the songs. Because I think some would be interested in one topic without sifting through the other, either topic.

And Yael, sorry if it sounded like I was suggesting you thought it could be considered stealing. I was just going stream-of-consciousness style as usual and that's why I didn't quote anyone in my post - I'm so sorry if I made you feel bad!

Thanks Stacy. No offense taken, really. I think my mood has been a bit bipolar today. Actually, it probably would have stayed pretty crappy except for the Twitter party... but this topic just gets me particularly irritated, if only because I've been so conflicted about it. Nothing to do with you. I should probably stay away from this thread for a few days, maybe? Or eat some chocolate -- I hear that helps. Wink

lol, chocolate helps because it activates the same "pleasure centers" of the brain that sex does. And please do feel free to talk it out in the thread about it. I'll probably spend some good time there myself, as, obviously if you read my posts there, I am really conflicted too. I wish David would say something. IMO he didn't say anything close to "yes" or "no" he minds fans hearing them.

(((Yael)))

Anyway, by way of getting back on topic, the song that jumps out at me most at first is "Maybe Tonight." I'll have to listen to it and all of them a bunch more to have any clue why, lol.

Guest Guest
Quietly is the one that got to me the most. Overall they had a very raw, not overly produced sound that brought to mind Analog Heart for me. IMO that's a very good thing!!

I just wrote out a long post with my opinions on these snippets and then lost it. Dammit! So let me paraphrase: wasn't that impressed with all of these. Sorry, just being honest. The one that did stand out for me, that I found beautiful (lyrically & musically) was That's All. But some of the others just seemed like generic radio stuff. One Second To Change Your Life is cheesy, and reminds me of a Nickelback song (gag). And please no more songs with Kara Dioguardi. I did love that he wrote another with Raine, though. Lyrics are awesome, but the song itself was just okay. I don't know. Guess I'm emo or something tonight. I just know what Dave is capable of and some of these just didn't sound like him. I guess I have high hopes.

On a more positive note, I do love the raw quality. Too much music today is way overproduced. I like it when it's a little rough around the edges. Also, it's great hearing a recorded version of Honest. Love that song! Heart

Jen, a couple of what I find mitigating factors about the snippets:

1) They're only 30 seconds. You really can't get a feel at all for the verses, and sometimes it's only half a chorus, and no bridge at all. So anything unique about the song related to its structure (which for example for me is part of what is SO amazing about Anodyne) you can't tell in a snippet.

2) When I listen to the Souvenir snippet, I really get a sense for how much that song has developed and therefore how the others could potentially do so as well. They're very "rough" as David called them, and were put aside before they even got to the stage of a true studio recording of them. If he picked another one of them to play on tour, might it have grown as much as Souvenir and earned our love?

That said, I'm totally not trying to invalidate your feelings! It's obviously okay to not love them. Some of them don't do anything for me either, especially not the Kara one. And like you and Barb and I think a few others have said, I enjoy just listening to him raw, NOT touched up and, to use a model-making analogy, not sanded so much that you lose all the edges and corners.

Guest dawtreecookie
I just wrote out a long post with my opinions on these snippets and then lost it. Dammit! So let me paraphrase: wasn't that impressed with all of these. Sorry, just being honest. The one that did stand out for me, that I found beautiful (lyrically & musically) was That's All. But some of the others just seemed like generic radio stuff. One Second To Change Your Life is cheesy, and reminds me of a Nickelback song (gag). And please no more songs with Kara Dioguardi. I did love that he wrote another with Raine, though. Lyrics are awesome, but the song itself was just okay. I don't know. Guess I'm emo or something tonight. I just know what Dave is capable of and some of these just didn't sound like him. I guess I have high hopes.

On a more positive note, I do love the raw quality. Too much music today is way overproduced. I like it when it's a little rough around the edges. Also, it's great hearing a recorded version of Honest. Love that song! Heart

Yep, agreed. Thank you for typing out all your/my thoughts. Saves me from having to do it. LOL Face

I'm off to give them a second listen/read though.

No words to say*.
We need an extended version of all of the songs!
Even Kara DioGuardi one I liked it!!
OMG...Souvenir .

Cant decide which one is my fav. I BECAME ADDICTED ALREADY! And this is only a snippet...Im afraid of my sanity with the whole thing

Stacy, I understand what you're saying. I'm strictly basing my opinions on the snippets. True, I can't say that the complete songs wouldn't be good. But we also have the lyrics, and being the lyrics freak that I am, that's important to me. There were some lines that stood out and I thought "wow that really sounds like him". But overall, my first reaction did not blow me away. I guess it goes back to which of his writing styles I prefer. Still love you David. Wink

Like Sarah said, I need to give them more of a listen/read. Sometimes I catch things I didn't before, or maybe they need to grow on me. Although these may never be released so it may not matter if I love them or not. LOL.

Oh, I keep listening to the snippets and forgetting that I have the complete lyrics too! *smacks head* I need to spend some time with the lyrics. Maybe I'll print them and read them in bed tonight, snuggle up to the new old songs, lol.

Guest Guest
@redsoxmom wrote:
I missed the snippets! cranky

Are you asking for a PM Chrissie?? Wink

By far, That's All is my favorite. It's just David and his guitar. I really wish producers would get it through their heads that not every single song needs the overproduction to be successful. David is so brilliant with songs like this. I point to the beloved acoustic The Truth, Axium's Still, and the live version of Lie as examples to prove this point. I really would like to hear full versions of these "snippits," but I think that That's All has the most promise and is the most "David" of the bunch.

And I really wish I could quote some of the lyrics from this song because they are just so historically ordinary, you know? '8)

LOL, I think it's okay to quote like 3-4 lines or something, just not the whole things.

Though I have to say that line actually bugs me! How can you be historically ordinary today? Either you are ordinary historically, or you are ordinary today. Or you are ordinary both historically and today. Unless you mean the history of the whole day, which isn't a very long time for history, especially since that line is 2 after the first line which starts with "I wake up"! Laughing

Guest dawtreecookie
By far, That's All is my favorite. It's just David and his guitar. I really wish producers would get it through their heads that not every single song needs the overproduction to be successful. David is so brilliant with songs like this. I point to the beloved acoustic The Truth, Axium's Still, and the live version of Lie as examples to prove this point. I really would like to hear full versions of these "snippits," but I think that That's All has the most promise and is the most "David" of the bunch.

And I really wish I could quote some of the lyrics from this song because they are just so historically ordinary, you know? '8)

Yes, and also slightly euphoric. '8)

But I 100% agree with you about this song and everything you said. Completely agree. Heart

On another topic.. I'm going through my second listen... and I realized with horror that "Remind Me" sounds like something Archuleta would sing, especially the chorus. I can actually see it on his album. *recoils in terror*

LOL, I think it's okay to quote like 3-4 lines or something, just not the whole things.

Though I have to say that line actually bugs me! How can you be historically ordinary today? Either you are ordinary historically, or you are ordinary today. Or you are ordinary both historically and today. Unless you mean the history of the whole day, which isn't a very long time for history, especially since that line is 2 after the first line which starts with "I wake up"! Laughing

No, in that context "historically ordinary today" really doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless he is talking about an everyday occurrence -- "today" is representative of every day. And every new day is "today" ??? I don't know what I'm talking about. Not going to fall into a trap of analyzing a song that we will NEVER HEAR. Crying non-stop

(Going off to watch my DVR-ed SYTYCD and then Glee. )

ShookByCook wrote:
@redsoxmom wrote:
I missed the snippets! cranky

Are you asking for a PM Chrissie?? Wink

She got one about a minute after she posted. WinkLaughing

Thanks so much, guys! Hug

I just listened. Closed my eyes, didn't look at the songwriters. I know that these are only snippets, but they initially leave me with the same overall impression I had with DCTR. I love rock, but I don't love David's post-Idol studio rock (disclaiming Souvenir and We're Only Honest When We're Sleeping from the snippets; and BarB Sol and KOTN from DCTR). It reminds me of the Nickelback and Three Doors Down stuff I immediately turn the dial from on the radio. To me, his mellow and melodic work is more appealing and viable. Like, "That's All". Maybe even "Strange and Beautiful". I hear potential in "Quietly", but the lyrics are a bit cliche in the verse featured.

What do I want to hear? Cook and Tiemann rock songs.

Yes, ITA! Remind Me and Maybe Tonight are my favorites.
I wish to hear the whole version of the song just like everybody else.

thanks to the amazing Piper I was able to listen the songs
They were great... but I love Quietly and Remind Me

My pleasure, dear !!
I'm happy you're safe and sound !
I was afraid you could probably Thud! with them.... LOL flag

I hope David could use some of these songs at the new CD.
Specially "Maybe Tonight" (which IMO could be the new CD - "Lie").
I can feel, by the snippets, almost all of them have a great potential...

For me there's a AH vibe at almost all the songs.... Awww Love

I thought about if I should write my feelings on the songs, saw Jen's post and decided, well ok, she did it, so can I.

Really, the snippits did nothing for me. Now, of course they are just 30 second, rough demos, so I am not expecting to be wowed or anything. But even the lyrics really didn't make me want to hear the whole song. I don't know, I just didn't hear anything extraordinary or stand out. Most just seemed kind of cheesy and very post-Idol mellow pop rock.

Gah where is rocker Dave? I know he is still in there somewhere.

Does anyone have the song snippets you could pm me? My sister's going crazy because I'd been raving to her about how incredible they were and then they got pulled before she had a chance to hear them. I wouldn't mind listening to them again either. Even if they are the biggest tease on earth! LOL Face

Does anyone have the song snippets you could pm me? My sister's going crazy because I'd been raving to her about how incredible they were and then they got pulled before she had a chance to hear them. I wouldn't mind listening to them again either. Even if they are the biggest tease on earth! LOL Face

Edit.

Thanks so much blakerox33 for the links! Very Happy You might want to take them down now though. I didn't think we were supposed to be posting them, just pm-ing. Thanks a bunch, but I don't wanna get you in trouble!

Would it be true that some of these songs are old, even before idol...

We know for sure that Souvenir and Honest are, but the other ten?

I know that David said that, but I doubt that he'd admit that all those songs are part of the new CD, in case they are.

They are great anyways, beautiful songs. But I am still waiting for more like KOTN and BBS

Guest dawtreecookie
@redsoxmom wrote:
What do I want to hear? Cook and Tiemann rock songs.

Hear hear! Music Makes me HAPPY

Hear hear hear hear! And I agree with Chel too. I had another listen/read last night, and uh, they didn't fair much better the second time around. I don't want to "learn to like" something if my inital instincts are telling me NO. Some of it sounded to me like B sides from David Archuleta's album. And bad radio pop shit. *runs away*
I agree with the "Where the hell is David Cook???" thoughts. There were some things I liked though. Maybe I'll post more thoughts later if I get the nerve...

I'm hoping that by the very fact that they didn't end up on the album, David realizes that they're uh, not up to his potential, to put it lightly.

Just like I said

It is good to know that I am not the only one waiting for ROCK songs, it must be something to do with the 'idol' world and 19 records. Maybe after all they are doing whatever they want with Dave and the music and the songs he 'choose'

Anyways I did like a lot the snippets

Thanks so much blakerox33 for the links! Very Happy You might want to take them down now though. I didn't think we were supposed to be posting them, just pm-ing. Thanks a bunch, but I don't wanna get you in trouble!

My bad lol...I took them down, you're welcome. (:

My bad lol...I took them down, you're welcome. (:

Thanks for taking them down. And sorry we're being a pain about them. Anyone who has been chatting about them obviously has them and anyone who wants them might try PMing whoever in the discussion is online at the time. Smile

I pray and hope THATS ALL is released at some point. I love the acoustic aspect of this song, and the lyrics are just.. Awww Love

Guest dawtreecookie
I pray and hope THATS ALL is released at some point. I love the acoustic aspect of this song, and the lyrics are just.. Awww Love

Yes. Must see live in full. Please!

Please! I'm wondering if anyone has a PM that they would just love to send me since I missed the snippet fun and feel all left out now ...

Fingers Crossed!!!