Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

What are you "COOKing"?

Guest Guest

Yesterday, I saw the movie "Julie & Julia" which I really enoyed and it dawned on me that we didn't have any thread about recipes and COOKing Shocked

Mind you, this isn't fast food cooking at all, LOL. It's about enjoying everything about cooking from choosing the ingredients, to cutting them the right way, to presenting and decorating the final dish! Also, about sharing grandma's recipes and those "family" secrets of how to make the best butter cookies or the yummy-est pumpkin pie...

So to start the ball rolling, what do you think about Julia Child's Boef Bourguignon recipe? Yuummmmmmyyyy Drool

I'm planning to take a shot at it this weekend Very Happy

Great thread Made! I love cooking a lot of healthy 30 minute meals by Rachael Ray such as Crab Corn Chowda Mac & Cheese recipe. Christina

I enjoy cooking and baking, or maybe I should say, I enjoy the 'results' of cooking and baking....meaning the eating part, lol! I checked out Julia Child's Boef Bourguignon recipe....and I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I shouldn't attempt to cook something that I can't pronounce, lol! No seriously, I'm sure it's delicious, but it looks rather complicated, not to mention time-consumming and kind of expensive to make. I guess making such a dish for a special occasion would be fun, but wow, with those ingredience, it's kind of a heart-attack waiting to happen!

For the recent holidays, I cooked and baked a lot of food gifts, that were all very well received by the way. I made 2 cheesecakes, 2 cinnamon coffeecakes, 2 cranberry-nut breads, 2 cherry-nut breads, 2 pans of brownies, 2 pans of lemon squares, 3 doughs of chocolate-chip cookies, 2 doughs of oatmeal-raisin cookies, 2 doughs of sugar cookies and a large pan of fudge. I also made stuffed cabbage, eggplant parmesan, shrimp & crabmeat casserole and sausage & peppers as gifts. I know, not exactly diet foods, lol, but it was the holidays after all! Trying to eat healthier now!

Guest Guest

WOW, those dishes you cooked and baked for the holidays sound delicious! I'm intrigued by the cinnamon coffeecakes. Can you share the recipe with us? Very Happy

Re the boef bourguignon, I forgot that meat is kinda expensive in the States! But as you say, it's a nice dish to make for a special occasion and very appropriate in winter. Very Happy

Cinnamon Coffee Cake

1 yellow cake mix
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding
3/4 C. water
3/4 C. oil
4 eggs

Filling/Topping

2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. chopped nuts (optional)

Beat together cake mix, pudding, water, and oil. Add eggs, 1 at a time. Beat at high speed for 6 to 8 minutes. Pour half of mixture in well greased tube pan. Then add 2/3 of the cinnamon, sugar, and nuts mixture. Add remaining cake mixture and sprinkle remaining filling/topping on top and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before removing from pan.

I have 2.

Chocolate Cobbler

1 stick margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups sugar, divided
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
2 cups water

Melt margarine in a 9"x 13" glass baking dish. Mix 1 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa, flour, vanilla and milk. Pour over margarine. Mix 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa. Sprinkle over top of cobbler. Heat 2 cups water to boiling and pour over the top. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes on 350 degrees.

This is great served warm with ice cream on top of it!

Corn Casserole, this is a Paula Deen one.

1 can corn, 1 can creamed corn, 1 cup sour cream, 1/2 stick of butter, 1 box of jiffy corn muffin mix (makes 6 muffins) Mix it all together bake at 350 for one hour. This is the recipe for an 8X8 casserole dish, if you want to make a large one then double all the ingredients, but still bake for an hour at 350.

Guest Guest
DroolDroolDrool
Yeay! I'll try those Luv and Jamie!

Ok so I have one. Smile I love to bake and cook which is weird because my mom doesn't like too, so I make a lot of the holiday treats around here.lol.

One of my favorites to make esecially around birthdays is Mayonnaise Cake. It make sound gross because of the fact it has mayonnaise in it, but it's the best cake ever!! The mayonnaise just takes the spot for most of the dairy products used in most cakes .

And for the frosting you can use whatever suits you!

Mayonnaise Cake
1 cups of sugar
2 cups of flour

Mix sugar and flour then add the rest

1 cup of real mayonnaise
3tsp of coca
1 cup of warm water
Dash of salt
2tsp of soda

Then bake it at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes

^^^Actually I LOVE mayonnaise, so I'd probably like this cake! What size cake pan do you use....tube pan, 9X13, 2 round cake pans?

Guest Guest

Mayonaise cake? scratch Interesting! I know my daughter wil love it! They are huge mayonaise fans, LOL. I'll give it a try Very Happy

Thanks for sharing!

Haha no problem. You can use whatever size pan you want. I use a 9x13 size pan.
Most people I tell thinks this is gross cause there's mayonnaise in it, but the truth is you don't even taste it I there.

And if you plan on making it use cream cheese frosting, it's really yummy!

Squares of Coconut and Apple

Ingredients

4 cups of apple peeled and diced
1 cup sugar
1 / 2 cup of flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 egg
1 tablespoon of melted butter
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 package of shredded coconut (100 grams / 0.25 pounds).

Preparation:

In a deep bowl mix all ingredients but without beating.
Dump the dough into a greased rectangular shape.
Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until it gets golden.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Cut into squares and remove from the form being careful not to break.

SPECIAL BROWNIE

Ingredients for an amount corresponding to a small tray:

- 100 g butter (1 / 2 package);
- 8 tablespoons (packed) full of chocolate powder;
- 2 eggs;
- 1 cup (tea) sugar;
- 2 teaspoons orange juice;
- 1 tablespoon (tea) finely grated orange peel;
- 1 pinch of salt;
- 1 / 2 cup (tea) of wheat flour;
- 3 / 4 cup (tea) chopped walnuts;
- 3 / 4 cup (tea) of dried white s / stones passed in flour.
Note: no yeast or baking soda in the recipe.

Preparation:
- Melt the butter and chocolate in the fire and set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until creamy white.
- Add the butter and chocolate and mix well.
- Add the juice and zest.
- Mix the flour and salt.
- Add the beaten egg whites.
- Add the walnuts and raisins to the batter.
- Place in greased pan of butter and floured.
- Bake in oven on medium temperature.
- Stick in the center of the dough with a toothpick to check doneness.
- Cut into squares.

The real "brownie" should be with a flaky crust and a little damp inside.
I suggest doubling the recipe.
If left over, store in a container with a lid and sealed by 2 or 3 weeks.

Guest Guest

Sounds yummy, Chris!!! I'll try it out Very Happy

BTW, last weekend I made Julia Child's "Boeuf Bourguignon" and let me tell you, WOW!!! It tasted as delicious as I had anticipated! I cheated a little bit, though, LOL. I skipped all the bacon simmering thing, drying the meet and instead of Chianti, I used a Cabernet Sauvignon but anyway it came out very nicely.

Guest Guest
High Altitude Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies

"This recipe is for high altitude and produces a soft, delicious cookie. To adapt for regular altitude, increase baking powder to two teaspoons, and reduce flour to three and one quarter cups."

Prep Time: 15 Min
Cook Time: 45 Min
Ready In: 1 Hr

Ingredients

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup mashed banana
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1.Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
2.In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla and mashed banana. Mix in the dry ingredients until just blended, then fold in chocolate chips. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.
3.Bake for 11 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Anyone else making any special goodies for Valentine's Day? I always find that baking special treats for family and friends are the best Valentine presents ever!

So far I made a 2 layer yellow cake (Betty Crocker mix) in my heart-shaped cake pans. I frosted them with buttercream frosting tinted pink. Then I made a 2 layer chocolate cake (Betty Crocker again) in my heart-shaped pans and frosted it with chocolate buttercream frosting. Two very dear friends are each getting a cake, I think they will be pleasantly surprised! I am also making chocolate chip cookies, brownies and lemon squares for various family members because those are all their favorites! Angel Love

I like to make Crab Corn Chowda Mac & Cheese by Rachael Ray. This recipe is so much fun to make and it only takes 30 minutes total. Christina

Guest Guest

OK. Here's a basic pie/tart base you can use with different sweet or savoury fillings.

Flaky Butter Crust:

* 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
* 1 to 2 tablespoons ice water, or more as needed

To make the dough in a food processor, combine the flour, salt, and butter in the processor and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, add the ice water through the feed tube and pulse quickly 5 or 6 times, or until the dough comes together and starts to pull away from the sides of the container. Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

To make the dough by hand, combine the flour, salt, and butter in a medium bowl, and mix with a pastry blender or your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time and mix until the dough comes together and is no longer dry, being careful not to overmix. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

To prepare the crust:
Roll out shortcrust pastry to fit 8-inch pie plate. Prick base with a fork. Place a piece of greaseproof paper over pastry - fill with dried peas and bake in a preheated 400º F / 200º C. oven for 20 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove paper and dried peas and allow to cool. (the dried peas are used to put weight on the crust so it doesn't grow.

Yield: one 9-inch tart or pie crust

QUICHE LORRAINE

* Flaky butter crust (as per above recipe)
* 6 ounces bacon rashers, rinds removed and cut into strips to fit pastry base
* 3 ounces gruyere cheese, cut into thin slices
* 3 eggs
* 1 1/2 cups milk cream*
* Salt, pepper and nutmeg to season

Lightly saute bacon in a fry pan. Place bacon strips on base of pastry case. Strew with thin slices of gruyere cheese. Mix eggs with milk cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour half the milk and egg mixture over the cheese and bacon. Leave for 2 minutes to set, then add the remainder. Place into the oven and allow to bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven, place on serving dish and serve hot or cold, cut into small slices.

Note: If you don't eat bacon, you can use champignon or other mushrooms and/or onions.

Guest Guest

I've found a wonderful site with amazing recipes all explained in videos. You also have the transcript of the ingredients and cooking instructions! Wonderful!

www.videojug.com

Pls try the chocolate/orange cake HERE. The cake is wonderful and most moist but I found the chocolate glaze too sweet and heavy. But I think if you just sieve some cocoa or glazing sugar on it, it would be perfect Smile

Hope y'all find it useful Smile

Guest Guest
One of my favorite Dip's....

Easy Crab Dip

1 package crab meat
2 tablespoons of Mayo
1 package Philly Cream Cheese
1/4 onion (diced)
1/2 stalk celery (diced) *optional
dash salt & pepper

Blend and Enjoy - serve with Baguette, crackers, nacho chips...

Guest Guest

That sounds delicious, Tricia! it's a pity that crab is so hard to find here No-no!
Maybe I'll try it with prawns Smile

Guest Guest

Shrimp, Lobster, Crab....probably make it with just about any of them Smile