Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Prissy

Rescheduled 9/13 4 pm US Open men's finals David to sing ATB!!

Guest Guest
I'm really looking forward to hearing him sing this song. It's one of my favorite patriotic songs!

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I have tickets to one night of the Open this year (FINALLY!) and now I'm so wishing it was for the men's finals. Not that I could afford tickets to it. They are hundreds, some thousands of dollars. But I LOVE tennis and I'd be watching it on TV anyway, so I'm looking forward to seeing David as well as Rafa & Roger, or whoever makes the finals.

Gah! It's, like, really close to where I live too!

This is very exciting. This is the biggest tennis tournament in the US. It's one of the 4 Grand Slam tennis tournaments (others are Wimbledon, French Open, Australian Open.) I used to be a big tennis fan (had a crush on Boris Becker.) This could be a big audience for him. And the Stand Up to Cancer event is 2 days before so maybe this means he will be shown live at that event.

Also excited because this is the first time we'll hear him sing America the Beautiful.

Cook Crush, my first crush was a Boris Becker rival, Andre Agassi. Had a poster of him, even. You should not read Andre's autobiography - he really couldn't stand Becker, lol. But it's a really good read - he can actually write and has such a great story.

Anyway, yeah, for those who are not into tennis, the US Open final is HUGE! HUGE! This is great exposure for David. Yahoo!

Stacy, I'm over Boris so I could probably handle it. I liked Agassi too.

I love when he gets to do these sports things because he's such a sports fan. It's probably another "pinch me" moment for him.

Guest Guest
It seems like they are planning quite a few things for David in the Fall. SU2C, the US Open, the FFA concert. I wonder if these appearances will coincide with the release of a new single.

Guest Guest
I'm going to live in my happy little world where that is exactly what it means... at least until I hear something official otherwise. A mid to late September single release would work well with a November album release. I'm alright with that.

I'm going to join you in that world. Except in my corner of that world, the new single is out a couple weeks BEFORE those appearances, lol.

Guest Guest
I'll move over to your corner of the world. (But realistically, we're only a month away from mid September. I think that's about the earliest we can expect a new single. Though I'll be happy to be wrong about that!)

Well remember, Dave announced LO as a single for it to be released like a few days to a week later. If I'm not mistaken, he announced it on like a Friday and it came out the next Tuesday or the one after that. I guess its not abnormal for it to be short notice. At least I hope that's how it goes.

Guest Guest

That would be fine with me. I did some checking, and you're right... David announced Light On at Ford Day - which I believe was September 19th. The lyrics went up on DCO on the 22nd, the single streamed on the 23rd, and it was released to itunes and available for download on the 30th. So about a week and a half from announcement to available for purchase.

If they know what the new single will be, and it's already recorded, it's conceivable we could get it a little earlier than mid September. So I'll move over into Stacy's corner of the happy little world.

Actually, I'll just be happy to get word that they are back in the studio, since we know from what David said at BG that they are not done with the album yet... shaved beards notwithstanding.

And to bring this back on topic, I agree that this is huge for David! The Men's Finals of the US Open will get a lot of viewers. Great

I am a huge fan of tennis. I love it. I wish I could find a way to get tickets. They are ridiculous to come by.

Guest Guest
This is great exposure for him! I'm excited to hear him sing this song. IMO it's much prettier than the anthem.

Guest Guest

*runs around room* Excited2

This is amazing!! Totally awesome exposure for him!!

Yeah Archie did it last year. He did it during the Women's Final because the rain pushed everything back. He did great too. He's opening the ceremonies at Kids Day with Jo Bros and Demi Lovato. lol

Awesome exposure to people who probably wouldn't hear him otherwise! Don't like sports but will watch to hear/see him!

Guest Guest

Oh, this is cool. Great

Don't smack me people, but I don't know anything about Tennis--where is the U.S. Open held?

kcbban wrote:
Don't smack me people, but I don't know anything about Tennis--where is the U.S. Open held?

Queens, NY

Guest Guest

Thanks, Cook Crush. Smile

I love this! Tennis and DC, two of my favorite things.

I had a crush on both Boris and Andre but Andre was always #1. I need to read Andre's book. I still love him.

Awesome! David on TV once again. Excited2

Hmmm...Michael Johns is a huge tennis fan. I wonder if he will be there? Mavid reunion?!....Very Happy

DC CheerleaderThe WaveDC Cheerleader
This is amazing for him !! Great exposure !! cheers

Guest Guest

Will they show him singing on TV? I would be crushed if they don't televise that part. Saddest It would be great to see him again on TV. This is a great gig for him! It's really big.

Guest Guest
I hope it is televised so he gets the exposure. But I'm sure it will end up on youtube if they don't show it on tv.

Amanda said Archie sang it last year before the women's finals - did they televise that?

I do think I recall hearing it sung before men's finals games in the past, but I'm not positive.

Amanda said Archie sang it last year before the women's finals - did they televise that?

I do think I recall hearing it sung before men's finals games in the past, but I'm not positive.

ANSWER = I think I remember that they DID show Archie's performance last year's womens' finals. :-)

Excited

This is very exciting! I think he'll do a stellar job with that song. (And Barb, I too prefer it to the National Anthem).

ETA: I couldn't resist changing my avi to one of the beautiful BG pictures that were posted here.

To all of our wonderful photographers: I'm afraid I don't remember whose picture this is, but if it's yours and you don't want me to use it, just let me know.

Guest Guest
It's so much better of a song than the National Anthem. I'm excited to hear him sing it!

Awesome exposure to people who probably wouldn't hear him otherwise! Don't like sports but will watch to hear/see him!

EXACTLY. We have friends who go to the U.S. Open every year, and they are the types who abhor all things Idol. Rolling Eyes Great! David will be singing right at 'em! And then they (or at least our friend Jen Cool) will understand.

Guest Guest
Looks like they did show Archie singing it last year. Here's the video...

Thanks, Jeannie! Archie's grin is so cute, and his performance was lovely. He always does well in this sort of gig.
This year more than ever, I hope that the men's final features a compelling match. Not the same-old Nadal-Federer rivalry. We need an "unknown" charismatic American to come out of nowhere and drive up interest and viewership! Where have the Connors and McEnroes and Agassis gone?
I want personalities not robots lol.

Guest Guest
I am really excited to hear David sing this! Archie did a great job -thanks for the video Jeannie!

I love how the public appearances are starting to line up for him! Hopefully we will have an album release date soon so he can promote it while getting all this great publicity!

@redsoxmom wrote:
Thanks, Jeannie! Archie's grin is so cute, and his performance was lovely. He always does well in this sort of gig.
This year more than ever, I hope that the men's final features a compelling match. Not the same-old Nadal-Federer rivalry. We need an "unknown" charismatic American to come out of nowhere and drive up interest and viewership! Where have the Connors and McEnroes and Agassis gone?

omg - you think Rafa has a robotic personality? Roger, maybe, but not fiery Rafa! I think it's a pretty good rivalry myself. Sorta like Pete and Andre, with Roger obviously being the stoic Pete in the comparison.

Though I agree it would be great to have an American with game and personality to emerge. I keep hoping James Blake will start living up to his potential. He's certainly had some great moments here at the Open, especially his marathon match with Agassi. And the dude is intelligent AND extremely hot to boot. But... *shrugs.*

I saw a tennis tournament final in San Jose, CA once. An indoor hardcourt. It was 2 Americans - Roddick and Fish. (Fish is the dude who won the silver at the Olympics in '04.) They were old friends and kept bantering across the net with each other. That was really, really fun. But no one is that loose at the US Open. It's too big.

Oh sorry I just saw. I did do my research on why Archie sang at the Women's Final. It was because the Men's final was delayed til Monday. The rain delayed the schedule by a day. They showed it on ESPN2 because it wasn't the regularly scheduled programming. But normally it is the Men's Final on Sunday afternoon on CBS.

@redsoxmom wrote:

omg - you think Rafa has a robotic personality? Roger, maybe, but not fiery Rafa! I think it's a pretty good rivalry myself. Sorta like Pete and Andre, with Roger obviously being the stoic Pete in the comparison.

Though I agree it would be great to have an American with game and personality to emerge. I keep hoping James Blake will start living up to his potential. He's certainly had some great moments here at the Open, especially his marathon match with Agassi. And the dude is intelligent AND extremely hot to boot. But... *shrugs.*

I saw a tennis tournament final in San Jose, CA once. An indoor hardcourt. It was 2 Americans - Roddick and Fish. (Fish is the dude who won the silver at the Olympics in '04.) They were old friends and kept bantering across the net with each other. That was really, really fun. But no one is that loose at the US Open. It's too big.

Maybe I need to pay closer attention to Rafa lol. Honestly, my tennis viewing has gone down dramatically in recent years. And I'm someone who used to love it! I guess I'm just waiting for someone to hit me over the head and make me start watching again. Clapping
I guess this tournament that would be David Cook!

*Hits Chrissie over the head with a tennis racket. An old-school wooden racket.* LOL flag

Sweet Rafa:

Angry Rafa:

Victorious Rafa:

Scary Rafa:

I think there are some Rafa fans here. Razz In the first photo, he reminds me of Apollo Anton Ohno. One of my daughter's older friends calls him "Apollo Anton Ohyes". LOL flag

*Hits Chrissie over the head with a tennis racket. An old-school wooden racket.* LOL flag

I'm also Rafa's fan ! He is a Cutie Pie ! Hi!GreatPopcorn

Actually, I do follow women's tennis a little bit. Carolina Wozniacki is adorable. Her concession speech at the Open finals last year was so humble and sweet. She's currently ranked second in the world.

tennis10.jpg

@Piper wrote:

I'm also Rafa's fan ! He is a Cutie Pie ! Hi!GreatPopcorn

He does look a bit like Apolo! Drool AAO ranks right up there on my celeb hottie list!! I believe he and David are the same age.

I can't wait to hear David sing "America The Beautiful" He will do an awesome job. I think & hope they will release a single soon but I am hoping he waits to release his album until after Lee DeWyze (nov-16) because TPTB will promote LD's album more because he is the current Idol winner. I know David's album will be able to make a place on the charts very quickly. David's album will show that he is a artist and composer with talent. I can't wait to vote, buy and attend many concerts for David.

I also love AAO and I never thought of him when I look at Rafa. I guess there is a slight resemblance (mainly the coloring).

Caroline Wozniacki is adorable.

Jeannie wrote:
Looks like they did show Archie singing it last year. Here's the video...

Cool - two verses to look forward to! Yahoo!

Guest Guest

Vangie! Glad to see you made it back here Very Happy