Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

"The Last Goodbye"

Guest Guest

I know we don't have any lyrics to discuss yet. But I thought it would be fun to post our thoughts on what the song might be about, tempo, target market/genre etc.

I'm going with a mid tempo song with pop radio and then HAC(hot adult contemporary) as the target. I'm going to guess that the lyrics(in true Cook fashion) will be open to interpretation. Meaning that the song could be about a girl, growing up, saying goodbye to the life you knew, going off to war, losing a loved one, a marriage falling apart....and on and on and on. I'm thinking he will use words and phrases that could pertain to any of those things.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04/08/11 - Chorus lyrics in David's handwriting Heart

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04/13/11 - Full lyrics and cover art!!!

lg10.jpg

- The Last Goodbye - (updated with original version)
(David Cook / Ryan Tedder)

If you hear this on the radio
Then we've already said our last goodbye
I won't be there when you get home
By now there's someone else that hears you cry
I wonder if he holds you like I did
I hope that he can love you better
Cause we were everything that's right at the wrong time

I didn't want to lose you
Leave you with a broken heart
But wherever we are, we're miles apart
I know that we tried, But this is the last goodbye
Oh, I didn't want to let you go

We were almost beautiful
A broken piece of art put on display
But we were never possible
Another perfect moment thrown away
I know somebody out there will love you
They'll be the forever we never were
Cause we were everything that's right at
The wrong time

Oh, I didn't want to let you go

Our last goodbye
The last goodbye

I hope he gifts us the lyrics before the song comes out - like, oh IDK, tomorrow? (Hey, a girl can dream!) Lyrics make it a lot more fun to speculate what the song will sound like. He did it for LO so it's possible he will with this one, too. Smile

Guest Guest
Quote :
I'm going with a mid tempo song with pop radio and then HAC(hot adult contemporary) as the target. I'm going to guess that the lyrics(in true Cook fashion) will be open to interpretation. Meaning that the song could be about a girl, growing up, saying goodbye to the life you knew, going off to war, losing a loved one, a marriage falling apart....and on and on and on. I'm thinking he will use words and phrases that could pertain to any of those things.

What you said, Barb! That's all I have until we get something.

Stacy, I hope he releases the lyrics early too. I love dissecting lyrics, and we haven't really had a chance since "Paper Heart."

LOL China... we've waited like 2 and a half years... 19 days isn't so bad. Wink

Guest Guest

I also wish we could get the lyrics before the release date... well, I won't say no to a snippet of the whole song LOL flag

I'm also expecting a mid-tempo kinda song, leaning towards a rock-pop vibe. Can't waaaaaaaait!!! Excited

At the moment I'm thinking something in a power ballad. maybe just because the first single off DCTR was one. Or something... anthemic. Smile

Guest Guest
Maybe its one of the songs we heard in the teaser vids....

At the moment I'm thinking something in a power ballad. maybe just because the first single off DCTR was one. Or something... anthemic. Smile

I'm thinking the same thing. Also the song title has a sad feeling to it, something that is more of a ballad appropriate then mid or up tempo.

Guest Guest
My friend saw "One Republic" last week & sent me this afterwards. Ryan was talking about a song there were getting ready to perform but she said this excited her!

Quote :
Ryan T. was just waxing poetic about writing anthems.

Guest Guest

I think this belongs here as well, while we're speculating about the song Smile

Quote :
Source

In addition to working with chart-toppers like Adele, hit songwriter Ryan Tedder is all about American Idol these days. Not only did he write and produce two tracks for Adam Lambert’s
forthcoming second album (the final decision on which songs will make
the record won’t come until closer to release date) and the lead single
for David Cook’s much anticipated second effort

THR: What about David Cook, did he voice any concerns coming into this second record?

Tedder:
I think a concern that anybody might have with
working with me after "Already Gone," "Apologize," and "Halo" is that
I’m going to give them this huge sweeping ballad. Even on Adam's last
album, I gave him "Sleepwalker," but I'm kind of over that. I got sick
of it about a year-and-a-half ago and stopped. David was, like, "I want
to do something uptempo," so his first single, “The Last Goodbye,” you
would never know that I wrote it. It’s really emotional and it hits you
with the chorus about 40 seconds into the song, so it's just immediate.

THR: And how is David as a co-writer?

Tedder: Great, more than any singer I've worked with,
he contributed enormously lyrically and musically – he can play, he
knows voicing, chords and arrangements as well as lyrics. He's a full-on
writer. I love David, he’s a great guy.

Guest Guest
"I'll have a little sugar for you guys tomorrow, though, ok?" That is a quote from RCA Ed. I am really hoping that the "sugar" is lyrics or maybe a sneak peek of the song.

I hope so, too, Barb. Seems like everyone on twitter is hoping for photos. I'm really hoping for something to do with the MUSIC. Am I weird?

Okay, that is kinda a rhetorical question, isn't it? LOL flag

Guest Guest

I'm hoping for something to do with the music too. Which means we'll probably get photos LOL flag

Guest Guest
LOL flag

Photos, lyrics, sneak peek... whatever will be heaven!!! But everything is about the music... Run

Guest Guest

Thank you RCA Ed - we have the chorus... in David's own handwriting, no less:

Guest Guest

Beautiful!!!! Getting more excited now! Excited2

Somehow I envision this song sounding like a mashup of "This Year" and LOAP (the original Bon Jovi version). Also, it brings to mind another uptempo but sad/goodbye song: "This Is Goodbye" by 16 Frames (if you haven't heard it, then go listen to it - excellent song).

The lyrics (in the snippet we got today, anyway) really speak to a certain situation I've been in for quite some time now - neither my boyfriend nor I want to let each other go but we know it's inevitable when I move away this fall for my four-year school, so there has to be that acceptance and "it is what it is" attitude at some point. That's what this song seems to be saying a little bit...to me, anyway Smile Can't wait to hear it!

Guest Guest
Full Lyrics:

I won't be there when you get home
By now there's someone else that hears you cry
I wonder if he holds you like I did
I hope that he can love you better
Cause we were everything that's right at the wrong time.

But wherever we are, we're miles apart.
I know that we tried, but this is the last goodbye.
Oh I didn't want to let you go
I know that we tried, but this is the last goodbye.

We were almost beautiful
A broken piece of art put on display
But we were never possible
Another perfect moment thrown away
I know somebody out there will love you
They'll be the forever we never were
Cause we were everything that's right at the wrong time.

Guest Guest
Love it! Anger, sadness, hope... it's all there.

Guest Guest
^^ what she said! Absolutly LOVE these lyrics!!! Now to just put music to them and we are all set!

Guest Guest
You can definitely tell that David was a writer on this one. Those lyrics are his.

Hmm, this is very good. I love the way there is anger and sadness and you can see it, the hurt he felt or is still feeling. Now we just need to hear what it sounds like!!! lol

Guest Guest
I was a little disappointed by the first lyrics we got 'cause they seemed to be too literal. But I'm totally touched with the song as a whole.
Totally in love with:
"We were almost beautiful
A broken piece of art put on display"

Guest Guest

Copying this here from the "Cover art and lyrics thread", so we can continue discussing the lyrics. Excited

What I love about these lyrics, besides everything, is he's obviously expressing heartbreak about a break-up, but he's not lashing out at or blaming anyone. It's a very mature approach, even wishing her well.

I totally agree with this interpretation of the lyrics. As I see it, they refer to someone finally accepting that a relationship has ended and although it could have been perfect, something wasn't just right (timing, personalities and whatnot). It's also about wishing it would have worked but acknowledging it's best to move on. Again, my favourite part is "We were almost beautiful/A broken piece of art put on display"

Having said this, I think that writers (music, poetry, books, movies) don't usually write "literally" from self experience (they do sometimes). They are observers, they are sensitive people who absorb the world around them and pour it back into words. Inspiration can come to the artist from a whole array of sources. As Stacy pointed out, David said including something read in a newspaper. And I might add so many more examples!

IMO, although this song isn't directly related to Adam, I have no doubt in my mind that what happened did "influence" David in many ways, such as a new found maturity, depth, resignation and strength at the same time (remember the "fresh wound moments" David mentioned in Shirley's interview). Those do translate to these lyrics unequivocally.

the "ohhh ohhh ohh" on 2:00 remind me a little bit the "ohhh"s on Use Somebody.

I think it's a good song for promoting the album - It's a good catchy pop song. I'm not sure it's really David but I believe it will do a good job promoting his music.
I hope that the rest of the songs on the album will be more "David".

I completely agree with you, Naama. It's a catchy pop song that can be and probably will be a big hit. It's sadden me to say it but this is what sell on the radio today, but it's not really the David I know and love.

I really hope the rest of the album is more toward the rock side.

Lyrically I love it, it's great, it's 100% David but musically this is everything I was afraid of when I heard he was woriking with Ryan Tedder wayyy too poppy for me. Right now I'm haveing a mix feeling about it because the lyrics are beautiful, and sensitive and sad but with this music it sounds like he's singing about the happiest thing that ever happen to him, it takes off the edge, sadness, feeling of acceptance the end of a relationship from the lyric. Lyrics and music don't mix well here for me and this is something I'm not use of from David. Just my opinion.

Guest Guest
It's poppy, but definitely has rock overtones in it. And there is no way a full on rock song would play on mainstream radio in this day. I think he did a good job of getting a pop/rock sound that is likely to get a lot of radio play. And one with some meaningful lyrics, which is almost unheard of in this day and age. I'd expect that there will be another couple of more "pop-leaning" tunes on the album for future singles as well, but that there will be other straighter rock songs as well. He wants to do well, he wants to gain fans, he wants to be able to continue to make music... and this is the way to do it.

I think that a break up doesn't always have to be a sad or regretful thing. Sometimes things just don't work out, and you realize it and have to move on. You can appreciate what you had for the time you were together, you can appreciate that maybe in another time things would have worked out differently, but you know the right thing to do is move on. He said much of this album was about the "hopeful side of loss," and acceptance and moving on is part of that. So I think the upbeat, rather than sad, take works for the song.

I love that his voice is so prominant. He has a gorgeous voice, and I think on DCTR it got overshadowed by that wall of guitars at times. While I'm sure this won't be my favorite song on the album, I think it's catchy and will work for radio, and although I'm not a huge pop fan myself, I like it a lot. I think it has the potential to be a big hit... which is what I'm sure he wants, and what I want for him.

I'm just very, very anxious to see what all is on the whole album! Is it June 28th yet???

well, It's a Ryan Tedder song. It could get much worse, lol. I also hope for more rock on the album itself..

@Naama123 wrote:
the "ohhh ohhh ohh" on 2:00 remind me a little bit the "ohhh"s on Use Somebody.

I think it's a good song for promoting the album - It's a good catchy pop song. I'm not sure it's really David but I believe it will do a good job promoting his music.
I hope that the rest of the songs on the album will be more "David".

yes i hope so too.. honestly,this song is just ok for me. lyricaly, i don't see anything unique -(although some lyrics are beautifully written,a "break up" story is "old" & the song doesn't carry much substance ).but i understand,that he needs to put out a song that is radio friendly,meaning-more poppy & catchy Rolling Eyes i hope the rest of the album will be more "David" . Great

i'm sure this song will grow on me eventually Heart

Guest Guest

I have to agree with most of what you're saying. Don't get me wrong, I like the song but I'm not jumping up and down about it (as Randy would say, lol) and it is growing on me. But I do understand the need for a radio friendly, uptempo song as a "hook" for the album and for grabbing people's interest in the rest of David's music. I'm sure the rest of it will be more rock than pop with some ballads thrown into it. I'm particularly excited about the song/s David wrote with Andy and Neal and also about the possibility of "Paper Heart" being there.

The press release said the album tracks were written and/or co-written by David, so there's also a chance to get one or more songs written by David alone! Among those registered in ASCAP, we have "We're Only Honest When We're Sleeping", for example. Would love to see that in the album! Excited

Jeannie wrote:
I think that a break up doesn't always have to be a sad or regretful thing. Sometimes things just don't work out, and you realize it and have to move on. You can appreciate what you had for the time you were together, you can appreciate that maybe in another time things would have worked out differently, but you know the right thing to do is move on. He said much of this album was about the "hopeful side of loss," and acceptance and moving on is part of that. So I think the upbeat, rather than sad, take works for the song.

Unless you absolutely hated the person you broke up with or never felt a thing for them, a break up is always a sad thing no matter what the reasons for that break up are. It's the end of a relationship with someone you cared about, that you hoped would work out differently and it didn't. You can definitely get to a point where you are accepting that things didn't work out like you wanted them to, still there's a sadness in that acceptance. But all of this doesn't matter because the lyrics in THIS song do talk about a sad break up and regrate that things didn't work out differently and the music makes it sound like it's a good happy thing while the lyrics tells a diffrent story that does not include a hopeful side in it.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's going to do great and going to gain him a lot of new fans and this is what this single is all about. I want it for him more then anything and I do agree with you that this is the way to do it. As I said this is exactly what I expected from Ryan Tedder song, his usuall poppy fest, thank god that lyrically it has David's name written all over it.

And honestly in spite of everything I said I still prefer this song over "Paper Heart", I can see TLG growing on me and it's something I don't see happening with PH. So, from a hard core fan point of view, no I don't hate it but it's not the David I fell in love with either.

Made wrote:
The press release said the album tracks were written and/or co-written by David, so there's also a chance to get one or more songs written by David alone! Among those registered in ASCAP, we have "We're Only Honest When We're Sleeping", for example. Would love to see that in the album! Excited

WooHoo!! I would love to see on the album songs that were written by David alone or with the band, like "We're Only Honest When We're Sleeping" and I'm really hoping for "Souvenir". I wish we'll get the song list soon I'm dying to know which songs made it into the album.

I was actually surprised (pleasantly) the song has as much rock in it as it does. The guitars, the drums... and you can't hear it in the leaked version but the final version really show a lot of nuances in his voice, and even some angst IMO.

It's a delicate balancing act to straddle the line between pop and rock. If it's full-on rock, I think the general radio-listening masses will not get it - it will not fit. Not on the radio between the other songs they play. If it's all pop and no rock, I agree that would not be very "David."

So IMO single from him should have pop elements, for example a great hook (check) and not too heavy overall (check)... but also have some rock elements like some heavier guitar parts (check) and some angsty belting on David's part (check). This song does all that for me, with the added bonus of it being uptempo, so that David is not pigeon-holed as a power ballad singer.

It's all I would ever ask of a single from this album, and more. Because I actually really enjoy listening to it, even though it's not for me. The singles are for the casual fan / radio listener. The rest of the album is for us, and for them once they are Cookified, heh. I expect most of the rest of the songs to be too intense or too rockin' to be radio-friendly, but that new fans will get because they'll be in the context of the album, not on the radio between GaGa and The Black Eyed Peas.

I was totally spoiler free, had not even read the lyrics now-I was able to download the song and listen to it on my ipod while I walked this AM. I did not try to listen to it before that because I knew I would not be able to properly do so with the ever present kid racket. I was able to listen twice before my &%$@! ipod died.

Soooooo. Wow. I feel confused, more that anything else.

First: What I love-the ending, that moment of just David's voice, and also that there WAS an ending, sharp and clear. I prey that ending is in the radio version. If the song had ended with that fadey fadey ooo ooo type ending I may have died. Not in a good way.

What I like: the first line: It jumps out and grabs you, perfect to be noticed by someone hearing the song for the first time ON the radio. Smart. Maybe even calculated?
Why I can't really hate it: It's too damn cute and catchy. I would even call it dancy. The arrangement reminds me of 80's dance pop. The kind of stuff little girls jump around too. Yeah, early Madonna. I said it.

What is confusing: I kept thinking-this is a song David could reinvent and do something fun & interesting with. The basic elements-good lyrics, a good basic melody-are there.

I don't mind the juxtaposition of the break up lyrics with the up-tempo. To me, that is not the problem.

I hope it sells a ton, because otherwise I cannot really see any reason for it. It's not that I don't enjoy pure pop, I do-but I don't buy it. KWIM? I am much more of a rock/alt type. (I am not hearing rock in this at all, aside from David's voice.) And it is for that type of music I became a David fan. Sigh. Overall, I am disappointed.

@hnrysmm wrote:
What is confusing: I kept thinking-this is a song David could reinvent and do something fun & interesting with. The basic elements-good lyrics, a good basic melody-are there.

That is why I can't wait to hear it live! David always has a different take on songs live vs. studio. He's more free to do as he pleases with it live. I always like his songs more live. I hope you do too, Meg. And Anat and TheworldIknow26 and Naama123 and Made and everyone else who isn't in love with it. If not, well, there's always the rest of the album. Smile

And live is only 2 days away!

I definitely love the live version more, Stacy.

I can't help but imagine what a killer it could be as an acoustic a bit slower version. Smile

Did he change the lyric : the word "perfect" with "appropriate" ? scratch
"Another perfect moment thrown away"

I don't analyse the whole song

Did he change the lyric : the word "perfect" with "appropriate" ? scratch
"Another perfect moment thrown away"

@hnrysmm wrote:

That is why I can't wait to hear it live! David always has a different take on songs live vs. studio. He's more free to do as he pleases with it live. I always like his songs more live. I hope you do too, Meg. And Anat and TheworldIknow26 and Naama123 and Made and everyone else who isn't in love with it. If not, well, there's always the rest of the album. Smile

And live is only 2 days away!

Oh yes, I am excited to hear it live. I agree, David always improves on the songs live-and keeps improving on them, so later tour versions may be better still. It sometimes bums me out though, because I think David has earned the right to have his songs sound like he wants right from the get go. And maybe this is what he wants, it's just not what I want.

BUT, I actually came back in here to say-in the shower I realized the tune is totally stuck in my head-after only hearing it twice-I never even listened to the snippet before. So it's very earwormy. I just listened to it again, this time on my computer-and I like it much better. I do hear a bit more of a rock sound. Still far to poppy, imo, I could seriously do without the backing vocals and the dingly dingly sound, (sorry, can't explain it any bettter, it's something in the instrumentation that screams POP to me) but this third listen revealed things I like that I think I was in to much shock to notice before.

Guest Guest

^^^ IMO, Meg. And that's the thing with catchy, radio-friendly songs. They just get stuck in your head, lol. In TLG case, in a good way! 'cause there are other songs you would rather bleach your brain to erase them Laughing

I heard rock in the song from the get go, though there's no doubt it leans on pop more than rock. Anywho, sales are doing great so far and they increase after AI and all the interviews! So in that sense, I'm a really, really happy camper right now!
Excited2

Guest Guest

Yep... it sticks in your head, and that's perfect for a radio hit.

Anat, sure there is always sadness, but it doesn't have to be "sad" sad. If that makes any sense. I've been through break-ups where the thing I felt the most was relief that it was over. Sometimes things don't work, and you gain that acceptance and realize that the best thing for both of you is moving on. And so I'm okay with the uptempo music and don't find it too jarring with the words. Could it be sung slow and sad? Of course, and I'm sure it would be gorgeous. I'm extremely excited to hear this live, and to hear how it evolves over the course of the new tour. Hearing it acoustic would be really interesting to me.

I love the end of the song too... ending on just his voice singing "good-bye." It works perfectly, and I'm sure it will play that way on the radio, since it's only a 3 minute song. I have a feeling they did that on purpose so it wouldn't get butchered to fit radio play.

It's pop but as Stacy mentioned, it's got lots of rock elements too. I think it was written to be a single - or at least recorded to be a single, and I'm guessing they'll be another one or two that was written with the same "pop/rock" combination in mind, because this won't be the only single off the album. But I'm equally sure there will be some more rock songs and ballads on the album as well. David's a pretty eclectic guy and he has a wide range of fans, so I expect the album will have something for everyone. Smile

I said this in a diff post haha but I'm glad he talked about the meaning of this song cuz I was tired of speculating! hahaha

Guest dawtreecookie

Hi guys! Hi! Looking forward to hearing this new (hopefully rock) album.
I'm in the camp of not being too in love with this new song. The lyrics and music aren't really for me, so I'm not jumping up and down about it. Looking forward to seeing it on Idol though. A bit of sweatiness and grungy singing and guitar jerking always makes a song better Wink
And I LOVE the new album title, so hopefully that's a good sign that the album is good, if that makes any sense Razz

Guest Guest

Sarah!!! Sooo nice to "see" ya! Yep, I'm in your camp too though I must confess the song is growing on me, lol. I'm sure the Idol performance will be memorable anyway!

I do expect and I'm positive we'll get greater things in the album!

BTW, I'm totally in love with the title and cover!

Good to see you here again Sarah Hi!

One thing is for sure this song is like gum its stuck in my head all the time lol At least it's not meaningless like all these other sticky songs.

I love, love, love the title and cover of the album.

Do we know what the meaning is behind the song?

And the lyric that is hitting me hard is "Does he hold you like I did" for some reason it's such a downer for me.

Guest Guest
China, He said in one of the radio interviews this week...The song is about letting go of a relationship that you've held onto for too long. That's not an exact quote, but it's close to what he said.