Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hnrysmm

[Acoustic] Dave & Neal - Now 100.5 Sacramento - 5/18/11

Hi I just got home from seeing David and Neal at the 100.5 acoustic show! My pictures likely are awful but I will post some later if any are OK. But here is a recap:

First off-this show was SMALL. Someone said there were 37 people in the audience-not 37 winners but 37 people! I did not count but that sounds about right. It was at the radio station, in a small event/conference room with horrid florescent lighting. Dave still looked awesome of course!

There were a couple other fans there in the radio station lobby that Jane or I knew when we got there about half an hour before the check in time of 5:30. The stations DJ's came out and were chatting with us, I asked one of them when they would start playing the new single. She basically said that they usually added songs quite a while after they dropped, as she put they (the station) were not "cutting edge" but she assured me they loved David’s other singles (which they do play occasionally)I asked her if requesting made any difference and she said yes, they do "look at that." So, we shall see.

So finally we checked in, I got some swag for being one of the winners (A station T-shirt and a chapstick) and we went into this kind of conference room with the horrid lighting and four rows of plastic folding chairs set up. Jane and I choose the "David Side" and we were in the third row. One of the DJ's started having us chant DAVID! COOK! And everyone was looking at the door we had just come in when David and Neal came in from the other door! It was funny.

They did Heroes, Come Back To me, Light On and TLG, with a question or two between each song. Oh, they had had us write down our questions on cards before hand and the DJ asked them. David sounded great but just a bit hoarse, or like his throat was tight. My whole family was miserable with allergies today and I suspect that David may have been affected-Sacramento is the allergy capital of the country or something.

It was so surreal seeing David singing four feet in front of me in a conference room I went into a major Dave trance for the first song!

The questions-OK, someone asked him if the gum he chews onstage ever falls out of his mouth, and it does! He says if it falls behind him he picks it up so he does not step in it but if its front of him he leaves it. Another question was about the differences between recording AH and recording TLM. David gave a nice long thoughtful answer that I truly cannot remember all of, I am sure it will pop up on video as people were taking video. But he talked about recording AH over spring break at Neal and Andy's house. He also said the differences are that with TLM he is older and more experienced. (Actually I think Neal mumbled "experience" and David said "Thanks Buddy" and then put it into his answer. Cute! ) It was not a trite answer, it was really thoughtful. Sorry, I can't put it together yet in my head.

Uh, what else? Oh, Jane asked about if there is symbolism in the cover for TLM and David said we give him lots of credit and he appreciates it but it really was about loud (the speakers) and Morning. Interesting-originally he wanted speakers in the water but phote shoots at a beach were to problematic do they moved it to the field, and actually shot the photo at sunset rather than sunrise "so I could sleep in."

OK that is all I can do now got to put kids to bed. -later

Guest Guest
Meg, Thanks for the recap! I honestly think if he were singing right in front of me at an intimate acoustic show I wouldn't be able to recall a single thing.

Ok also the DJ's asked questions of their own, one asked something about AI-oh yeah, it was if he liked being able to sing without being judged right after and David said "oh, these people are judging me right now" or something like that-it got a big laugh. Then at the very end the DJ I had talked to earlier said "no one asked this but I know they are all thinking it-Are you single (or maybe it was 'are you seeing someone'? Groan. David said "I am a very private person." And "it's difficult" and along those lines. A guy in the front row said something like "that means yes"-and David said "thank you sir!" it that was funny, but I still felt generally David was uncomfortable with the question. I was proud that none of the fans HAD asked that and wished the DJ had not either. Ok, that's about it I am sorry I do not have video to share with you guys!

Guest Guest
Thanks Meg for a great recap! All these shows have given us little bits of fun info along with amazing songs!

Guest Guest

Here are some videos from MadeMan1980-thanks!

CBTM

Great realistic recap, Meg, mentioning the good along with the bad. Glad you had the not-so-usual chance of listening to him sing that close. Cheers!!

I loved your recaps. One of the things I especially appreciate is when people talk about going into Dave trance. This is such a common thing among us and you saying you experienced it through the first song, well, I can relate. I have never experienced that with any other musician before. I wonder why it happens to us? I mean, what is it about this guy, when he is standing before us, that causes that. Sometimes, as the show goes on it isn't too bad, but at first. ummm....yeah...

Here is some Q&A video Jane took. David makes some priceless faces. Her memory card ran out before David was quite done answering her question.

@vsteph1 wrote:
I loved your recaps. One of the things I especially appreciate is when people talk about going into Dave trance. This is such a common thing among us and you saying you experienced it through the first song, well, I can relate. I have never experienced that with any other musician before. I wonder why it happens to us? I mean, what is it about this guy, when he is standing before us, that causes that. Sometimes, as the show goes on it isn't too bad, but at first. ummm....yeah...

Glad you liked the recaps! I love to read recaps so I try to write them. Of course I LOVE LOVE LOVE the videos and pictures those more technologically inclined (and steady handed) can do, but I think the written word can provide context and emotional connection to an experience.

Davetrance first happened to me at the first show on the Idol tour. Back then I called it "my David Cook black out" because I felt like I could not remember much about the performance afterwards-I remembered scattered images, but that is it. I remember talking to some other fans about this back then and discovering they had had similar experiences, and then later I saw something simliar referred to as davetrance (usually in the context of actually meeting David) and I like that term too. For me I think it's a combination of the adrenalin rush and nervous energy leading up to seeing David, then the excitement of actually being there at the concert or whatever (and it always goes so fast.) I always feel a bit subdued after a concert as well, kind of emotionally spent and thoughtful.

I had a funny davetrance moment tonight when it was our turn to have our picture taken with David. I have had something I have wanted to tell him about a song from DCTR for ages, it could have been quick, so even though they were moving the picture line along fairly quickly I would have had time, but instead for some reason all that came out was “thank you” I think I said “thank you” or “thank you David” like 5 times. I hope he wasn’t like “why does this crazy woman keep thanking me?” Rolling Eyes I did manage to calmly introduce myself and that felt like a minor victory over the Davetrance for me!

Guest Guest
Thanks for sharing your recap, Meg! That sounds like an amazing time... so glad you got to go!

Guest Guest

zAnodyne's video Q&A part one *includes CBTM performance*:

Guest Guest

Also her TLG:

Thanks for the recap Meg! Your memory works pretty well in a Davetrance! LOL Did you get to meet David and Neal?

Neal ducked out for a smoke or to catch up on some important reading or something! In any case, after the set he was gone, leaving me with a purse full of unsigned MWK cds oh well! David hung out to take pictures w/ fans (regimented and taken by the station photographer.) I talked about it at the end of my last post. So yes, I did neet David!

Guest Guest
Those were great videos! I love how he changed up the guitar part at the end of CBTM right before the final CBTM line.

Great Q&A's too-love to hear him talk & have a great time laughing & smiling!

Thanks for sharing Meg !!
I'm glad you're able to meet him !!!
Go WordNerds!

Just watched the videos. Could he be any more adorable? It'd be impossible, wouldn't it?

Absolutely impossible! He is the ultimate treat. Awww Love

Thanks for the recap. I applaud you for even remembering something definite. When I saw them for the first time upclose, every memory was vague and I can't write a recap until the following month when I finally collected my thoughts.LMAO

Guest Guest

Thanks for the recap Meg.... and thanks for posting all these great vids Great

Thanks so much, Meg! I always love the Q & As! Thank You!

DEBRA

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.