Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

*PLANNING THREAD* 10/09/11 State College, PA-Penn State Rec Hall

Guest Guest
Welcome to the planning thread for the 10/09/11 State College, PA-Penn State Rec Hall. This is the place to share your excitement, find out who is going, make any plans to meet up with other friends at the show, look for someone to share transportation, hotel rooms, etc.

This show is listed as a co-headlining show, with no opener.

Please be aware that all information in this thread is, to the best of our knowledge, current at this time; but is subject to change at the discretion of the venue or tour management. We recommend that you use the links we will provide below to watch the websites for any changes in ticket sales or other information.

TICKET INFO

Tickets are scheduled to go on sale on October 3rd.

At this time, it appears that tickets will only be available for purchase on campus.

VENUE INFO

Penn State Rec Hall

This is a GA show. Per the information we have seen, floor tickets will be available to students, while bleacher tickets will be available to the general public.

USTREAMING

We are hoping to Ustream as many of the shows as possible, and for this we need your help. If you are going to the show and have an iPhone, Windows phone, or other Android phone, and would be willing to help bring the show to all of us who cannot be there, please send a PM to Stacy (realiTVlover) and she will give you further information. Ideally, we would love to have two streamers per show - one as a primary, and one as a backup if needed. Thank you so much to anyone who is willing to help out this way. We really appreciate it!
Hug

Have fun planning your show, and if you find any further helpful information about the venue or show, please post it here so we can add it to the original post.

This is the closest show for me - it's about 3.5 hours from my house. I don't mind is people want to crash at my house, so if you're thinking about it, let me know!

I am trying to make this one work for me. Its about 2 and half hours for me. I luck out with my kids having no school the next day so I can find a sitter (hopefully). I just need to find some friends locally who will drive, my husband isn't a big fan of me driving too far alone at night.

Im with Peg on this one i will be staying at Pegs house also . Im Very Excited about it this will be my 3rd x seeing David i know only 3 x well thats counting the Idol Tour i only saw him 1 on The Decleration Tour. My Hubby will be joining us this time so im excited for that too this will be his 1st time seeing David in Concert.

My friends and I are trying to go to this one, even though it's a 4 hour drive. We have to drive home after because we have classes/school the next day LOL. Stupid school Razz

http://homecoming.psu.edu/events/events.shtml
This was from the homecoming section of PSU's website
Quote :
October 9th - Homecoming and SPA Concert
Homecoming Kick-Off concert sponsored by SPA. Artist TBA
9 PM at Rec Hall
Spirit Points

This was also on the "Alumni Events" tab only, soo....if this is the concert at Penn State, looks like this may NOT just be student only

Is it just me of does it seem really odd that this show is 22 days away and there is absolutely NO ticket info?? I mean, they have to at least know WHEN the tickets will go on sale. scratch

Guest Guest
It does seem odd, Peggy. But this is a college, not a regular venue. Who knows how their ticket site is run?

Penn State's Bryce Jordan Center is HUGE -- it seats more than 15,000. It will be open to all and not just Penn Staters. It is the largest venue between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. It might, however, be a half or quarter venue arrangement for this concert, unless they are optimistic to receive a full house.

The show is not at the Bryce Jordan Center according to this tweet from yesterday:

psu_spa Penn State's SPA @stateinthereal the info you have about the Gavin DeGraw/David Cook show is incorrect. An official press release will be sent soon.

Hope the press release is ...... imminent.

Guest Guest
Thanks for the information, deecee. I do hope we get some solid details soon, so that those who are going to this show can make their plans.

I work at PSU. The show is not at the Bryce Jordan Center. I'm almost sure it's at Rec Hall. I'm also fairly certain it's open to the public.

Cook Crush - Oh, wow! So, you are our link to info??? Razz

Thanks for the info. Do they usually wait to sell tickets so close to the event? It just seems odd to me. Question - The Rec Hall - do you know the capacity of that venue?

Thanks!! Very Happy

@pn112 wrote:
Cook Crush - Oh, wow! So, you are our link to info??? Razz

Thanks for the info. Do they usually wait to sell tickets so close to the event? It just seems odd to me. Question - The Rec Hall - do you know the capacity of that venue?

Thanks!! Very Happy

Rec Hall capacity is 6800.

I believe dudwalt is correct. The capacity of Rec Hall is listed as 6800 but I think that's for sporting events. The capacity for a concert might differ because people can be on the gym floor, but also because depending on where the stage is set up, it might eliminate some seats along the sides.

If last year's Rec Hall concert is any indication, tickets didn't go on sale until the Monday before the concert. Maybe things will change this time. I believe that the student organization that is sponsoring this concert is trying to work out the details and hopes to announce something soon.

Well, it's official. The tickets go on sale Oct. 3 - per Lisa's tweet.

@roxybella wrote:
I think the homecoming thing is last year. Because homecoming is in september.

I believe this is the concert to kick off Homecoming week. Homecoming is October 14-15.

So weird that tickets go on sale so shortly before the show!

Guest Guest
Not that weird-for the Declaration tour it happened for the first show in Tallahassee. They went on sale the Monday before that Friday and could only be bought in person-at least I guess these are being sold online etc.

I was going to go to this show - but changed my mind. I guess I'll just have to wait until the next leg of the tour!

This thread has the wrong venue listed in the title. It's not at the Bryce Jordan Center. It's at Rec Hall.

Guest Guest

Thanks... I've fixed that now. Smile

Well, guess I'm waiting for more tour dates. I don't see any sense in driving 3.5 hours to the venue to buy tickets, then 3.5 hours home, then another 3.5 hours to the venue for the show, to stand in line all day for friggin bleacher seats!!!!!!!!!!! What kind of an opening tour show is this???? I'm just thinking that for all the promises that this tour would not be an exclusive college tour, this is starting out exactly like the Declaration tour. So, I'll wait for more dates. I'm just a bit disgusted - don't mind my rant.

Guest Guest
Peggy, I understand your frustration. I'm still hoping for more NE dates later in the year.

This show is about 4 1/2 hours from me.. I am trying to get to this show..
Fingers Crossed!!!

@Rabrina wrote:
Fingers Crossed!!!

Rachael - you and Becky and who ever else can stay at my house - it's about 3 - 3.5 hours from my house. I have a guest room, and a bath and a half. It ain't the ritz, but you are more than welcome.

@pn112 wrote:
@Rabrina wrote:
Fingers Crossed!!!

Rachael - you and Becky and who ever else can stay at my house - it's about 3 - 3.5 hours from my house. I have a guest room, and a bath and a half. It ain't the ritz, but you are more than welcome.

Thanks for the invited, However I reserved a hotel all ready..

Im with Peg on this we were going to go to this but i totally Agree with what she said^^^ So im waiting too Grrrrrrr...... Very SadVery Sad.... No matter when i get to see him again it will be Special and Memorable as always. I CAN"T FREAKING WAIT.

6 days and counting... for this show and the beginning of #ThisLoudTour DC Cheerleader

High Five!Joy danceThe Wave

Hope you all Have a Great Time Rachel I know you'll get pics and vids just don't forget to share LOL SmileSmile JK i know you won't forget.
xoxooxox HAVE FUN. ExcitedExcited2 For all who is going to this one.

6 more days and the new Tour starts. I'm so excited for all who are going. We get to see new video's of songs we've never seen him perform before too! Is anyone going to ustream this one?

Guest Guest
If we can find someone willing to do it.

Would anyone who is going be able to buy a ticket for me? I have a paypal account and can paypal you the money, then meet you at the show to get the ticket. Fingers Crossed!!!

Guest Guest
Peggy, I hope you can find someone who is going to buy tix for this show.

@pn112 wrote:
Would anyone who is going be able to buy a ticket for me? I have a paypal account and can paypal you the money, then meet you at the show to get the ticket. Fingers Crossed!!!

Ooh Peg. Hope you get to go!

@pn112 wrote:

I don't know if you saw it, but they are selling tickets for State College over at davidcooktix.com.

Thanks Rachael! I'm all set - I'll see you and Becky there! Excited2

This was posted on twitter:

Source: http://t.co/uPIsOmCy

Gavin DeGraw and David Cook kick off Homecoming Week

By Marcus Correll

Collegian Staff Writer

This Sunday isn't just the kickoff for Penn State's Homecoming Week, it's also the first stop for Gavin DeGraw and David Cook's national tour.

"The Sunday concert is the first official day of Homecoming Week and is a big kick-off to get everyone excited for the week, meet the student court and give them a really good, cheap concert," said Homecoming University Relations Director Bridgette Carrier.

Beginning at 7 p.m. in Rec Hall, the concert will be preceded by a dance competition -- described by Carrier (senior-kinesiology) as a Penn State version of "America's Best Dance Crew" -- with six competing dance groups followed by a panel of Penn State celebrity judges.

Current Penn State Football player Shane McGregor is just one of the campus superstars who will critique the dance groups. McGregor and the other familiar faces will then decide and award the winner that night.

After the competition, the concert will begin with indie-rock and iTunes pop from the appropriately named South Carolina band, Carolina Liar. Known for its 2009 breakout hit "Show Me What I'm Looking For," Liar is the opening act for the whole tour and will play some old favorites as well as tracks from its new album "Wild Blessed Freedom."

American Idol's seventh-season winner Cook will continue the energy with his alternative-rock style and full backing band.

"Working with David Cook meant we had to work through American Idol a lot and keep in constant email contact to stay on track," said Chris Hershey, Student Programming Association marketing chair.

DeGraw is the last performer of the Homecoming concert and the audience can expect him to play songs from his platinum debut album "Chariot," as well as hits from his other previous albums. Fans can also look forward to hearing the "One Tree Hill" theme song "I Don't Want to Be" and some material from recently released "Sweeter."

Collaboration on-stage and behind the scenes

The Homecoming Week concert has been a collaborative effort for the last three years between SPA and the Homecoming Committee.

"Both organizations worked together to contribute to the artist selection process," said Lindsay Scher, SPA entertainment chair. "Then, my committee was responsible for the actual contact and booking of the artists."

While SPA deals with logistics, Carrier explains her "role is to then act as liaison between Homecoming and the university," as well as the organization and sponsoring of the dance competition.

The Homecoming Committee and SPA collaboration has brought in popular acts for prior Homecoming Week concerts, such as Jack's Mannequin in 2009 and Boys Like Girls in 2010.

Even though this is a co-headlining tour with Cook, DeGraw assures fans that it doesn't change the mood of the concert and it only means they will alternate who closes the show. But he said he is excited and thinks "it sounds fantastic to kick-off Homecoming, and it is definitely bigger for students than a national tour."

Bringing a 'sexier' style

DeGraw said some fans may notice changes in his musical style on his recent release, "Sweeter," which he describes as "a little sexier than the past records, but not sexy in a weak way, more in a raw, masculine way."

DeGraw doesn't like to think much about the demographic he plays for but is more interested in connecting with whomever may be in attendance, he said.

"I don't want to sound like a jukebox. I like to be able to talk with the audience and give them some background about a song," DeGraw said.

Fans of all three artists may be in attendance, but there will be some diehards like Grimaldi who said she "can't wait to see David Cook perform live after following him avidly when he was a contestant on American Idol."

Some may come just for a cheap concert or a dance competition, but this concert is sure to attract music fans of all types. No matter if listeners are into indie-rock or "One Tree Hill" pop, concert-goers can help celebrate the beginning of DeGraw and Cook's national tour as well as Homecoming Week.

"It will pull in people our age, but we've also received calls from moms to find out ticket information for their daughters," said Scher (senior-recreational tourism, parks management). "It's going to be an interesting draw."

Drawing crowds from across state lines

The 2009 Jack's Mannequin concert was the first Homecoming concert co-sponsored by SPA and the Homecoming Committee. The event sold-out of the allotted 2,500 tickets the first day and SPA has since increased the capacity of Rec Hall to sell over 5,000 tickets that now includes bleacher seating for non-students.

"People thought [this year's concert] was at the Bryce Jordan Center," Scher said. "They were getting calls and they had to tell them it wasn't held there and was actually sponsored by SPA and Homecoming."

The event has gained not only the attention of fans at Penn State but those from across the nation. SPA has already allotted 400 tickets to the Cook fan club and sold over 600 tickets on Monday's first ticket sale.

"Calls have flooded in from everywhere," Scher said.

Scher and Hershey (junior-public relations) have talked to people coming as far as Wisconsin, Michigan and Rhode Island.

The line may not have stretched down the HUB stairs but excited student and Cook fanatic Caitlyn Grimaldi (sophomore-secondary education) was thrilled that she didn't have to wait long in Alumni Hall for tickets and bought floor seats.

Tickets for both students and non-students are still being sold at a table in the HUB-Robeson Center during the week as well as at the door on Sunday if any are still available.

"It's a big deal because it's the opening concert of their national tour and there's lots of hype around that," Carrier said. "People like smaller venues like this because it's more intimate and enjoyable."

@pn112 wrote:
Thanks Rachael! I'm all set - I'll see you and Becky there! Excited2

I sent you a PM regarding Sunday.. Very Happy Glad you were able to get a ticket-- see you in 3 days...

Guest Guest
Peggy, so glad you are getting to go!

Guest Guest
Yahoo! Peggy, I'm glad you are going to the show!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.