Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

Word Nerd Home Question of the Day Part 4

Guest Guest

Time to lock down the third thread and start a new one!

Everyone's been having a good time sharing things about themselves in the Introduce Yourself thread, so we thought we'd start this "Question of the Day" thread. Each Monday through Friday, the mods will be posting a question. So come on in, answer, chat about other people's answers, and have some fun as we get to know each other even better.

Some of the questions will be easy, some will be silly, some will be serious. We'll try to keep questions that require some thought to Fridays, so you'll have the weekend to think about it.

If you miss a day or two, feel free to go back and answer when you get a chance. Just be sure you let us know which question(s) you are answering so we don't get confused.

We hope you have fun with this, and hey... if Jeopardy ever does a "Word Nerd Home Posters" category, you'll be all set. LOL Face

If you have any questions you'd like to see us ask, please PM them to me or any other mod. Thanks!

Want to read back over the former questions and answers? You'll find them here: QOTD part 1 QOTD part 2 QOTD part 3 There is a list of questions answered in the original post of each thread.

Today's QOTD:

questionAre you a "crafty" person? What crafts do you like to do? question

I'm not really a crafty person. I used to do counted cross stitch and was good at it, but I just don't have the time anymore.

Questions in this thread:

9/19 - Are you a "crafty" person? What crafts do you like to do?
9/20 - Do you only eat breakfast foods for breakfast, or do you enjoy having them for dinner as well?
9/21 - The American version of The X Factor starts airing tonight... will you be watching?
9/22 - What would you do if you were stuck in traffic and David Cook (or someone else famous) were in the car next to yours?
9/23 - You are going to be stranded on a deserted island for one year. Along with food, water, shelter, and clothing, you are going to be given an iPod for your entertainment. This iPod comes with a magical battery that will last for one year, so you will be able to listen for the whole time. The catch is that this magical iPod can only have 25 songs on it, and no more than 5 can be performed by the same artist. Name your 25 songs you can't live without for the year. (weekend)
9/26 - If someone offered you a million dollars tax-free to spend a night alone locked in a reportedly very haunted house, would you do it?
9/27 - Following up on yesterday's question, since pretty much everyone said they would at least try the haunted house... excluding anything illegal or seriously immoral, which we'll just assume everyone would not do, is there anything you'd be too afraid to do for a million dollars?
9/28 - Have you ever thrown a birthday party for a pet? Have you ever gone to a birthday party for a pet?
9/29 - If someone came to visit you who had never been to your hometown, what sights would you show them?
9/30 - You are throwing a dinner party at your home. You can invite any five living people in the world. They can be celebs, or just the cute guy you'd love to get to know who you run into buying coffee every morning before work. You must choose people who you have never shared a meal with before. Who would you invite and what would you serve for dinner? Choose drinks, appetizer, main course and dessert. (weekend)
10/3 - What's your favorite flavor of juice?
10/4 - What was your high school and/or college mascot?
10/5 - Do you bite your nails or have any other nervous habits?
10/6 - Do you talk in your sleep? How about sleepwalk?
10/7 - If you had to do 100 hours of volunteer work, what organization or charity would you choose to help and why? You can pick up to four organizations to help.
10/10 - If you were offered $100 to shave your head, would you do it? If your answer is no, what amount of money would you shave your head for?
10/10 - What song is on your ipod that you are embarrassed to admit you own?
10/12 - If you were going to one of Dave's concerts, and he asked you to tell him one song from DCTR, one song from TLM, and one cover (that he's done before - hey this is fantasy, but he would have to know the song, lol) you wanted him to include in the setlist that night, which songs would you choose?
10/13 - Do you golf?
10/14 - What makes you proud to be a David Cook fan? (weekend)
10/17 - Do you decorate your home for Halloween?
10/18 - Do you have a favorite piece of jewelry and why is it your favorite?
10/19 - What is your favorite Disney movie?
10/20 - Are you right or left handed? And do you carry your bag/purse on your right or left shoulder?
10/21 - If you could become someone else for 24 hours, who would you choose and why? What would you do in that 24 hours? (weekend)
10/24 - In light of David actually doing Creep in sound check last night... what one song would you ask for if he was taking requests in a sound check and said he'd do anything?
10/25 - Easy one today... Coke or Pepsi?
10/26 - Have you ever gone on a blind date? How did it work out?
10/27 - Have your parents or any other relatives served in the military?
10/28 - Have you ever thought about writing a book? Would type of book would it be? Crime, mystery, medical thriller, science fiction, romance, historical etc? (weekend)
10/31 - Happy Halloween, everyone! What is the best Halloween costume you've ever worn?
11/01 - Do you prefer a desk top or a laptop computer?
11/02 - What was the color of your childhood room/furniture/bedding/curtains?
11/03 - You have been given the choice of the services of a personal trainer, personal chef or housekeeper for a year. Which service would you choose?
11/04 - If you could design your dream home what would it look like and where would you build it? (weekend)
11/07 - What's a subject you wish you knew more about?
11/08 - Who in your family are you most like?
11/09 - Are you a minimalist, or do you like to collect and own a lot of stuff?
11/10 - Who's your favorite comedian?
11/11 - What style of clothing would you like to see come back into fashion? What style was bad the first time around and should never make a come back? (weekend)
11/14 - What is your favorite comfort food meal from your childhood?
11/15 - When you are going out, are you generally ready early, or running around last minute holding everyone else up?
11/16 - Is there a movie or book that you thought was great but it upset you in some way?
11/17 - What's the best compliment you have ever received?
11/18 - Imagine that you are an event planner. You have just signed a contract to organize a party for 200 people. Describe the theme, venue, decorations, menu and entertainment you would choose. You can choose to throw a wedding reception, sweet sixteen, 50th anniversary party(or whatever kind of party you want). (weekend)
11/21 - Would you want to be famous? If so, for doing what?
11/22 - Will you brave the crowds for the good deals and go shopping on "Black Friday" this week?
11/23 - Besides David, who is your other favorite American Idol contestant?
11/24 - Today is Thanksgiving for all our American members. Whether you are celebrating the holiday today or not, what are you thankful for?
11/25 - You have just met someone who has *gasp* never heard of David Cook. You tell them about him, and they ask you to make up one cd - 20 songs - with samples of his music from Axium, Analog Heart, American Idol, DCTR, his live covers post Idol, and TLM. They want 3 songs from each of those, and you can pick two other songs from any category to fill out the cd. What songs do you choose to "Cookify" this person? (Remember, you just met, so you really don't know their musical tastes.) (weekend)
11/28 - Now that the holiday season has officially started, what holiday movies and specials do you like to watch?
11/29 - If you had to give up one food or beverage(that you actually like, no fair giving up something you hate lol) for the rest of your life, what would it be?
11/30 - What was the last cd or concert ticket you bought that is not David related? Nobody he has toured with, performed with, written with etc.
12/1 - If you had to evacuate your home due to a flood/storm/fire and you could only choose one thing to take with you, what would it be? It's a given that you will take all people and animals in your household.
12/2 - If you got to spend one whole day doing exactly what you want to do, what would you choose to do?

Guest Guest
I'm crafty in a very kindergarten and pre-k way lol. I love coming up with projects for my class to do. One of my favorite courses was "treasures from trash" for early childhood educators. They gave us hundreds of ideas for making classroom projects from egg cartons, milk cartons etc. I used to crochet a lot, but I don't really have the time for it now.

Guest Guest

I don't really do anything these days (except for helping my kid with his art/science projects or whatever). Many years ago for a while I made these cute little wreaths that were like X-Mas trees with decorations on them and actually had a table at a craft show a couple of times and sold them. That was fun. Smile I also used to love to do cross stitch just for fun.

Anyone remember doing those rug hook projects many, many years ago? I made sooooo many of those things...... I suppose they are still out there to buy and do. Very Happy

I have basic craft skills in sewing, machine embroidery, crocheting and making hook rugs. I never was any good in art class.

Quote :
Are you a "crafty" person? What crafts do you like to do?

Yea, I am crafty. I have tons of silk flowers that I change out seasonally. I make wreaths and door hangings to give to people. I make jewelry... well... bracelets and ornaments mostly, but I've gotten into beading and discovered there are tons of patterns to make all kinds of stuff. I also like to crochet. I have several afghans I've made. I make crocheted slippers too.

Quote :

Um, yeah. I crochet. A LOT! LOL Face Baby stuff, mainly, because it's quicker. And...I sell it. Smile

Guest Guest
kcbban wrote:
I don't really do anything these days (except for helping my kid with his art/science projects or whatever). Many years ago for a while I made these cute little wreaths that were like X-Mas trees with decorations on them and actually had a table at a craft show a couple of times and sold them. That was fun. Smile I also used to love to do cross stitch just for fun.

Anyone remember doing those rug hook projects many, many years ago? I made sooooo many of those things...... I suppose they are still out there to buy and do. Very Happy

I remember those, Kathy. I made a bunch of them. I still have at least one - a Tigger bouncing rug that I made for my kids' nursery while I was pregnant with my first. (I decorated the nursery in a Winnie the Pooh theme.)

I haven't done anything terribly crafty in a while, but I can do and have done a lot of all the yarn/thread stuff: knit, crochet, needlepoint, crosstitch, sewing clothes and yes I made a gazillion hook rugs, too, lol. As a kid I also love make-n-bakes and that sort of thing. Macrame I did for a bit, too.

Due to my design education, undergrad and grad, I am also great at making models - I can take foamcore and make it look like a real object in no time - no foam showing or anything. Also chipboard, wood, acrylic, etc. I also know how to make stuff in a wood shop / machine shop - furniture-sized things, metal things, anything. I can work a table saw, chop saw, scroll saw, drill press, lathe (wood and metal), mill and shop spray paint for example, not to mention the mobile tools like a router, drill, rotary saw, etc. I can polish cut aluminum or even stainless steel to a mirror finish, acrylic to perfectly clear and I'm great at sand-blasting. It's been years but I've also welded, soldered, and cast metal.

So, um, yeah, I guess I'm crafty. LOL flag

If I ever own a home, the garage is going to become a wood shop. But it will be MINE, not the man of the house should I ever get one of those, too, lol.

I used to be crafty when I was younger - painting, crochet, tapestry, embroidery, sewing some clothes for myself.

It's been a log time since I last made some craftwork ... need to restart...I love it... calms me down ! Very Happy

Due to my design education, undergrad and grad, I am also great at making models - I can take foamcore and make it look like a real object in no time - no foam showing or anything. Also chipboard, wood, acrylic, etc. I also know how to make stuff in a wood shop / machine shop - furniture-sized things, metal things, anything. I can work a table saw, chop saw, scroll saw, drill press, lathe (wood and metal), mill and shop spray paint for example, not to mention the mobile tools like a router, drill, rotary saw, etc. I can polish cut aluminum or even stainless steel to a mirror finish, acrylic to perfectly clear and I'm great at sand-blasting. It's been years but I've also welded, soldered, and cast metal.

^Impressive, to say the least! I'm nowhere near as accomplished as you in this area, but for years, I have assisted my father in many different home projects, and I'm pretty good at assembling things, such as furniture, repairing stuff, and I've painted pretty much every room in the house, including the outside of the house.

When I was in my teens, I got into sewing, and made quite a few outfits for myself, haven't done that in a long time though. I've taken cake decorating courses, and have made special cakes for literally everyone in my family, and all of my friends over the years. For a while, I was taking orders, and was supplimenting my income, making cakes for special occasions, mostly for my hair clients. It is so time consuming though, now I mostly just make them for family/friends. I also love making dried and silk floral arrangements, wreaths and wall hangings, and have also supplimented my income making those. I think everyone in my family, and all of my friends have received at least one of my floral creations as a gift, and most, probably one for every season. I just love to decorate for every season/holiday. Right now my house is decorated with autumn floral arrangements and wreaths, pumpkins, little scarecrows...and in October, I will add Halloween decorations to the autumn ones. I tried knitting a few times, and just couldn't get the hang of it. And crosstitch...well, I did complete a Christmas ornament, but found cross-stitching was very hard on my eyes. Most of my friends are crafty, and my house is filled with crocheted, knitted, quilted, cross-stitched gifts from them, and paintings that they have done....they mean the world to me, and I have always appreciated a gift that was hand-made.~Wendy

@Gwen4791 wrote:
Quote :
I love it... calms me down ! Very Happy

Main reason I love it! Very Happy

Gwen I saw some of your crochet work photos at facebook - they look great !! ClappingClapping
I learned crochet with my grandma - she did wonderful works in crochet: quilts, shawls, jackets, caps, skirts, baby blankets...
I was not as good as her but I did some interesting things ! Very Happy

Quote :

I think i'm a crafty person but i haven't done anything like that in a very long time.

If you mean “crafty” as in hot-gluing seashells to a styrofoam wreath, not so much. But if you mean “crafty” as in “sneaky”….then yes, LOL.

Guest Guest
LOL Face That's why I put in the second part of the question, dorothy.

Crafty in a Queen of Cardboard and Hot Glue gun, type crafty, yes! lol

I also used to Oil paint (landscapes) and Pencil sketch, but I haven't had the time or the energy for a while! lol

Lisa, for a while, during undergrad, I feared I'd have permanent calluses on my fingers from glue gun burns, lol.

Lisa, for a while, during undergrad, I feared I'd have permanent calluses on my fingers from glue gun burns, lol.

Omg, I know what you mean and those damned things HURT!! lol

I invariably would burn my fingernails! Ow!

@Serenity wrote:

It scorches! And then if you're like me, it's on your hand or finger/fingernail but you don't want to ruin what you're working on, so you don't touch it 'til it's dried. Otherwise you get a huge mess of stringy glue everywhere like a spiderweb. So it's just sitting there burning, ever so slowly cooling down. Owwwwie!

@Serenity wrote:

It scorches! And then if you're like me, it's on your hand or finger/fingernail but you don't want to ruin what you're working on, so you don't touch it 'til it's dried. Otherwise you get a huge mess of stringy glue everywhere like a spiderweb. So it's just sitting there burning, ever so slowly cooling down. Owwwwie!

LMAO That's exactly what I'd do! All for the sake of a cardboard character! (or whatever)

I like to think of them as battle scars. Wink

Me? Crafty?! ROFLOL

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, nor can I draw the simplest stick figure. I might have an idea to create something cute or functional, but I can't quite execute the idea into an acceptable item. Ugh. My sister is the crafty one in this family- it's a running joke for me to attempt anything creative. Razz

Okay, I promised to answer the weekend QOTD but haven't done it.

My favorite holiday would be New Year. I used to love Eid so much, but somehow even if it's supposed to celebrate our winning for finishing a whole month of fasting and to celebrate a rebirth (we're supposed to start over as tabula rasa), I always feel lonely ever since my grandma passed away, so it's not my favorite holiday anymore. That said, my fave holiday memory was every memory with my grandma. She was such a joy to have around Smile

And... am I crafty? Not at all, I guess. I'm probably the worst crafter you'll ever see. Ironically, I did knit, crochet, cross stitch, sew, and all that in junior high. It was in our curriculum. Well, actually my grandma did most of my homework... I know, shame on me! But I'm really bad at it. It's unfortunate cause my dad is very artistic and creative, guess I don't inherit it at all.

This will probably come as a surprise to no one but no, I am not a crafty person. I really don't have the time and I have no special skills - that I have discovered anyway.

I'm not really a crafty person. I paint crafts sometimes but not very often. I tried to learn to crochet when i was a teen and my mom wouldn't even try to teach me because she is right handed and i'm left she said i'd be to hard to teach me. My aunt tried to teach me but was unsuccessfull Smile .

Hm. I never did post my Top 5 Breakup songs, did I?

Here they are, in no particular order:

The Truth - David Cook ~ David has several excellent breakup songs but I will choose this one if pressed to pick just ONE. It's one of the first of David's pre-Idol songs I heard and it made quite an impression on me.

Where I Stood - Missy Higgins ~ I have David to thank for introducing this song/video to me when he did that guest VJ gig on VH1 back in the fall of '08. It's a very well-written song and she sings it with pitch-perfect emotion.

Rise Above This - Seether ~ I am not sure if this song was inspired by a breakup but it can be interpreted that way. For me, it brings to mind that old saying "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger," because lyrics like "I'll mend myself before it gets me" refer to any valley in the journey of life, and overcoming hardships.

Love Stinks - J. Geils Band ~ Behind the tongue-in-cheek lyrics and catchy melody I suspect this song was inspired by real heartbreak...and that is what makes it such a classic! It has also become an anthem of sorts to the Single and Unattached on Valentine's Day. LOL Face

Keep Away - Godsmack ~ With lyrics like "Sickness spilling through your eyes" and "Do like I told you. Keep away from me" this ones fits squarely in the F.U. category. Twisted Evil Throw in some grungy guitar riffs and that seals the deal for me! Very Happy

I absolutely LOVE Where I Stood too, Karen! I should have put it on my break-up songs list. Or have I?

ETA: Okay, I was curious so I'll quote myself here:

Quote :
My Top 5 Break-Up Songs:
1. No Doubt - Don't Speak (yes, I totally copied Dave, whatever, lol)
2. Patti Smyth & Don Henley - Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough
3. Maroon 5 - Harder to Breathe
4. Missy Higgins - Where I Stood
5. Daughtry - What I Meant To Say

High Five! Karen! Very Happy

Guest Guest

Today's QOTD:

questionDo you only eat breakfast foods for breakfast, or do you enjoy having them for dinner as well? question

I love breakfast foods any time of the day. Actually, I usually am not hungry for quite awhile after I get up, so I generally don't eat breakfast at all... so for me, breakfast foods are rarely eaten at breakfast time. About the only time I eat breakfast is when I'm on vacation and traveling. But once a week or so, I'll have breakfast for dinner.

Guest Guest
I have never been able to eat when I first get up. I force myself to eat a small breakfast now to help prevent the morning snacking. I typically have a piece of fruit and either a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter or greek yogurt. I love eating breakfast on the weekends about 2 to 3 hours or so after I wake up. I love most breakfast foods eggs, bacon, hash-browns, oatmeal, cereal, french toast, waffles...You name it and I'll eat it for dinner, just not when I first wake up.

Quote :
Do you only eat breakfast foods for breakfast, or do you enjoy having them for dinner as well?

Breakfast is great for dinner!! Or for lunch! Or for breakfast! LOL It's anytime food!

My family LOVES breakfast foods at other times. I prefer eggs, pancakes, etc to be only at breakfast time.. Now cereal? Well cereal can be anytime of day. Somedays when I am lazy I eat a bowl of cereal for dinner.

Me a crafty person i wish i was talented in that area but im not i cant even draw a perfect heart or flower.

As for breakfast food im the same way i dont eat right when i get up i wait a while plus im still grumpy too soi need to wake up but i think its the best meal for dinner i love french toast, pancakes,fruit mmm i just love breakfast food except for eggs . lol

I rarely eat breakfast, except when on vacation or traveling, like Jeannie. Then I love going to restaurants like The Pancake Man (when vacationing in Cape Cod), or IHOP, which is a favorite place to treat family or friends for their birthday, or as a special "thank you" brunch for a particular kindness or favor. In those cases, I love ordering a HUGE breakfast/brunch...bacon & eggs with hash-browns, toast and fresh squeezed orange juice, and/or a stack of pancakes, French toast or Belgien waffles. Yum! Getting hungry here! I also love any of these things anytime of the day or night. Add poached eggs on toast to that list; as far as cereal is concerned, I like several kinds, both hot and cold ones, but usually eat those when in a hurry, and once in a blue moon, for lunch or dinner. Hum, now that I'm feeling hungry, I think I'll have some of those banana-nut muffins that I made yesterday. See ya later!~Wendy

If the mood strikes yes I can be a pretty crafty person as long as it dosen't involve too much detailed drawing LOL Face

Breakfast foods I enjoy them anytime of Day my husband and I frequently eat a Denny's and when we do we just about always order from the breakfast menu eventhough the Bacon there is in eatable

Jeannie wrote:
Today's QOTD:

Do you only eat breakfast foods for breakfast, or do you enjoy having them for dinner as well?

Breakfast is good for any meal. I love eating waffles for dinner/supper. Smile I actually ate Froot Loops last night.

I love breakfast foods and will eat them any time of day. Sometimes I eat a bowl of cereal as a snack. Smile

@vsteph1 wrote:
I love breakfast foods and will eat them any time of day. Sometimes I eat a bowl of cereal as a snack. Smile

me too heck often times I'll even eat it dry right out of the box

questionDo you only eat breakfast foods for breakfast, or do you enjoy having them for dinner as well? question

Having pancakes for dinner is the best, and cereal makes a great snack any time of the day. Sometimes I'll eat a bagel with cream cheese for lunch. Who says breakfast foods should only be eaten in the morning? Smile

Guest Guest
I'm not even a big fan of breakfast food for breakfast. I force myself to eat it because I know I need something before I walk out the door, but if we have leftover pizza, cheeseburgers, or Szechuan noodles, I'll gladly eat one of those for breakfast.

That being said, there is NEVER a bad time for bacon.

Our meals are a little (a lot?) different than yours. We normally eat rice any time of the day, so basically we eat the same thing for every meal time.

We do, occasionally, eat bread & butter (or jam) but it's usually for breakfast only. So if I were to answer the question with your typical breakfast food in mind, I would answer: yes, I only eat breakfast food for breakfast Wink

Guest Guest

I love breakfast food all day long but the problem is that I don't like to cook breakfast foods (eggs, hashbrowns, bacon, etc). Smile Hard to find a restaurant that serves breakfast all day long over here..... I will make pancakes for dinner sometimes and I agree with what some of you have said--cereal is great all day long. Very Happy

Guest Guest

Today's QOTD:

questionThe American version of The X Factor starts airing tonight... will you be watching? question

I will be. I've missed Simon and Paula, and am anxious to see them back together again. I haven't seen the British version of this show, but I've heard about it and it sounds like an interesting one. I'm looking forward to checking it out!

Jeannie wrote:
Today's QOTD:

questionThe American version of The X Factor starts airing tonight... will you be watching? question

I might I'm not sure yet

Guest Guest
Absolutely! I can't wait to see how it translates to the States. I've been watching the UK version online for a few years.

Jeannie wrote:
Today's QOTD:

No I won't be. I have no idea what it even is.

Yep! definitely! Tomorrow I'll watch it. Smile Sounds interesting!! Watched some UK episodes but not the whole show.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.