Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

11/07/11 - Cincinnati, OH - The Taft Theatre Concert

OK, I just watched the FIM performance. Bear in mind that I'm speaking as an "armchair quarterback" here, having been at neither show.

My vote goes to the York performance, just for the sheer intimacy of it. Sitting in my kitchen, watching it on my little netbook, I felt like he was singing just to me. I have never felt that close (physically and emotionally) to a performer, even when I was right there, watching a performance live.

However....the Cincinnati performance of FIM gets the award for sheer ballsiness. Who the hell else would even attempt that, let alone succeed so beautifully? Nobody. "Indulgent as hell?" *shrugs* Maybe. But when you can back it up like David Cook can, a little self-indulgence is easily forgiven.

My viewpoint is clearly biased, since I was at the York show and not at the Cincy one, but the York one is also my favorite. Because as you say, it was about the intimacy, whereas Cincy was about how freaking COOL it was. I felt like he was singing to me at York, whereas the Cincy one was, well, self-indulgent as even he said; he was singing for himself. I say I felt like he was singing to me at York, but really, it felt like he was doing a helluva lot more than singing.

His voice is spectacular in both. And I'm exceptionally grateful to him for giving us both those performances. But I'll take the York intimacy over the Cincy coolness factor every time.

ETA: i hopre I don't sound like i thought he was disconnected from the audience in the Cincy FIM. It's just that, for me, it wasn't to the level he... Faded into us in York.

I'm a little selfish but I am GLAD that the world hasn't noticed. My friend who went with me to the Cleveland show went to see U2. Nosebleed seats were $100. It is okay with me if David never gets there. I can't afford it and it would break my heart not to be able to go see him.

I get what you're saying, but don’t you think he deserves to be recognized for the remarkable talent (and remarkable person) that he is?

Having said that, I think he'd also be OK with it if he never got there. I think he just wants to be able to make a living doing what he loves.

I love that he did the two different FIM's. The one from York and Cinci. They are two completely different experiences and I love the he did both of them. I also appreciate that he felt comfortable doing both of those versions in front of us. Think about it. Especially the Cinci one. That was a huge risk, to step away from the mic and sing totally alone, and to not know if it was going to succeed or fail, in front of not only us but also Gavin's fans, etc. That really did take balls and I love that he did that.

The York performance was just a completely different experience. It just seemed like... I don't know.... a type of connection between his fan-base and him. kwim?

Just two completely different experiences. Both have their merit. Also like someone said above, self indulgent? Maybe. But if you can back it up with David Cooks skills, why the hell not?

As far as David getting as big as, say, U2. I can see both sides of that conversation. You are right. if it cost $100 + to get nose bleed tickets, that would actually physically hurt to not be able to afford to see him. On the other hand, I want the world to see him and give him the recognition that he SOOOOOO deserves. I'm still bewildered that this hasn't happened yet. To me he is the best thing out there since the Beatles, or U2. jmo of course.

If/when he does get that big, how cool is it that we can say we saw him in the smaller clubs, and met him and had this type of connection with him for a while. How freakin cool is that?

I definitely agree that he is the best in a long time and find it odd that he hasn't caught on like wildfire. It isn't that I don't want him to get the recognition. It just doesn't hurt my feelings if it is seriously delayed. Give me 10 good years of being able to afford decent seats and then have it happen.

I wonder if we will still be addicted to his music, his voice, him, in 10 years. This was supposed to let up after Idol. 3 years later it's stronger. lol

Guest Guest

I'm with Viv on this one, in that I don't think the two can really be compared. They are totally different. But I will say that having been in Cincy, and being in the 3rd row directly in front of him... it felt very intimate to me at the time. Sure I knew all those people were there - but to me, it felt like he was singing just for me. And that may well be because he was right in front of me, mic-less and unplugged. So as much as I love the York FIM, personally I have to give the "my favorite" to Cincy... because I was right freaking there, and like I said, to me it was exactly like he was singing to me. Maybe from the back of the room it wouldn't be the same.

Regardless though, I love both performances. Funny because that song was NOT one of my favorites when the album came out, but since he has started doing it acoustic it has shot waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up the list. LOL Face He always does that to me... I didn't really like IDIFY until after they kicked it up with their live performance, and now I love it.

There's a selfish part of me that says "Don't be THAT successful" too... but I do want him to have all the accolades he so deserves, even if it means high ticket prices and such. I'm afraid it's not the music climate for that right now though, so we're probably safe in our selfishness until the tide turns at least.

@vsteph1 wrote:
I wonder if we will still be addicted to his music, his voice, him, in 10 years.

Wonder no more!

Yes.

NO DOUBT HERE !!!
Of course Yesss !!!!
In 10... 20 years !!!!
Till I'm dead !!!
DC CheerleaderAwww LoveMega Rock

EveAngelical wrote:
@Piper wrote:
Made wrote:
Eve... thank you, thank you and thank you for the ustream, the vids and the pics which are gorgeous! I actually missed a heartbeat when I saw this one...

Me too Made !! Melt

Awww Love EVE this photo is AWESOME !! Has something "heavenly" on it... I'm Not Worthy!Awww Love

Do you give me permission to use it at an artwork - giving you credits (of course) ???

I would be honored.

Thanks Eve !!! Hug

Guest Guest
However....the Cincinnati performance of FIM gets the award for sheer ballsiness. Who the hell else would even attempt that, let alone succeed so beautifully? Nobody. "Indulgent as hell?" *shrugs* Maybe. But when you can back it up like David Cook can, a little self-indulgence is easily forgiven.

One question before I go, and it's one I've asked many times: When is the world going to sit up and take notice of this guy? What the hell else does he have to do???

ITA, dp. Very few singers nowadays would even attempt to do what David did so successfully in Cinci!

And about your question, that's something all of us have been wondering since we met David, IMO. Is the world so fucked up they can't SEE what this guy is, as a musician as well as a person???

Guest Guest

Penjen, that's so much for posting your gorgeous pics and videos! GTTG... Awww Love

Guest Guest
Re the huge fame vs. the moderate fame, I would like David to be recognized for being such a wonderful singer/songwriter and person. I want him to win Grammies and Oscars and every award on Earth. But I'm not sure huge fame will sit well with him. You know, even leading a moderately famous public life is not an easy task by any measure! He's said he enjoys smaller venues more than large arenas 'cause he can connect more directly with the audience. He thrives on that, he fades into the audience and feed on its energy!

In sum, what I want is that he's happy about where he's at in life and that all his dreams come true.

Guest Guest
Amen, Made... Amen.

Made wrote:
Re the huge fame vs. the moderate fame, I would like David to be recognized for being such a wonderful singer/songwriter and person. I want him to win Grammies and Oscars and every award on Earth. But I'm not sure huge fame will sit well with him. You know, even leading a moderately famous public life is not an easy task by any measure! He's said he enjoys smaller venues more than large arenas 'cause he can connect more directly with the audience. He thrives on that, he fades into the audience and feed on its energy!

In sum, what I want is that he's happy about where he's at in life and that all his dreams come true.

Here, here Made, Cheers!!

I definitely agree that he is the best in a long time and find it odd that he hasn't caught on like wildfire. It isn't that I don't want him to get the recognition. It just doesn't hurt my feelings if it is seriously delayed. Give me 10 good years of being able to afford decent seats and then have it happen.

If I have to wait 10 years, it would physically hurt me, Annette! Lol. But I totally get what you're saying.

I'm so grateful to have David come into my life. If it wasn't for his remarkable qualities, I wouldn't be here at this thread or even be where I am right now in life.

David has been doing this since he's, what? 15? And he'll be 29 soon. That's 14 years that he's been at it so far and you want to tack on another ten? You would have him wait 24 years to achieve the success he desrves?

Wow....you are a harsh mistess! LOL flagBlow Kisses

LOL flag I didn't think about it that way DP. Then again, I think Made has a great point. Moderate success is making him happy, not so sure massive success would. Either way, we have no control over it.

I think that David would love massive commercial success and respect from the industry, without the trappings of fame that go along with it. But is that even possible?

@Serenity wrote:
Made wrote:

Here, here Made, Cheers!!

High Five!Cheers!!Hug Here too girls !!

Guest Guest
DP, I think he would love massive success. The energy of huge stadium crowds all screaming for him would be kind of hard to resist. However I think he would hate the lack of private life that goes along with that kind of success.

^^Yes, that's what I meant by the trappings of fame. Can anyone think of any hugely successful star who has managed to have any sort of private life?

It would be great if that were possible but I don't think it is, especially this day and age with the internet. It would have been a lot easier in the past.

From what I've picked up on from interviews and concert banter, is that David is happy and humbled by the level of success he's achieved thus far. I don't know that fame and awards are all that important to David. He just loves having the opportunity to make money doing what he loves (which is something a lot of people don't get to do). He pours his heart and soul into the music he produces because he believes in quality and substance. Too many musicians today are terrible, but they produce catchy singles. Those catchy singles sell, but the overall albums lack value. Now, I would LOVE for Dave to win a Grammy someday (lord knows he deserves a nomination at the very least), but if he doesn't, does that make him any less of an artist? Like Made said, he enjoys playing smaller venues because he loves the intimacy and feeding off the audience. So, I guess I don't wish David was massively successful, but I don't wish for him to stay at the level he's at. I just wish for his happiness, come what may.

As for the Cincinnati VS. York FIM debate, as someone who hasn't been to any of the live shows (so I can't be biased Very Happy ), I have to vote for the York performance. It's my favorite FIM performance to date, and I just uploaded it onto my iPod. It's so beautiful, intimate (I actually feel like I WAS there), and I cry watching it every time. Awww Love

So i guess i'm kind of along the selfish lines too . I kind of like David right where he is i mean i would love for him to get more recogonized and play arena's and mabe win a grammy or at least a nomination but i really think David is happy where he is . I actually kinda worry if/when someday he does start playing arena's he's going to get very unaccessiable sp? ,harder to meet him , that he'll loose his connection and relationship with us and his other fans that he has now and i really love the relationship we have with him right now with playing in the smaller venues and If or when someday it'll come where he cant meet his fans anymore i sort of think that would break his heart because he seems to really enjoy meeting us and everything.

I was at the Cincy concert as well and I want to weigh in on the FIM discussion. Granted I wasn't at York or have even watch the FIM York video so I can't compare the two. I was 12th row in Cincy and I can tell you it felt very intimate. Not one on one intimate but more of a small group of close friends, say 5 or 6 gathered in David living room getting to hear a new unrealsed song. Like David says "Hey guys I am working on a new song let me play it for you and you tell me what you think". If felt like we were seeing and hearing the real and raw David Cook. Just David and his guitar, nothing else needed. David Cook has some balls and we all saw them that night. That sentence taken the wrong way could be very intimate Booo!!!

Also my hubby went to this concert with me. This was his first experience of David Cook. He never watched him on AI has never heard his music, except for when his song comes on the radio and I turn it up really loud Laughing He wasn't expecting much and after Cincy he now understands the musical appeal of David. He is still talking about how cool it was that he did FIM unplugged and that he has never seen anyone do anything like that before. He said this guy is the real deal. He can just sing in a world today of singers who usually have to have something electronic done to their voice to make it sound good. This guy can just stand there and sing and sound great. He also was impressed with how easily he can sing a love song then go completely into rocker mode and do both flawlessly. He wants to go see Dave in concert again soon and really had a fantastic time at the show. Pretty good I would say for someone that just went to indulge his wife

That is the appeal of David Cook. He is the real deal, cool enough for the guys and sexy and dreamy enough for the ladies. Just like the rest of you I wonder why the world hasn't taken notice of him. But for selfish reasons I am glad they haven't. Again it feels like a small intimate group of friends that have a wonderful well kept secret from the world. That's just fine by me

rockermama Thanks for your post. I loved the part about your husband. This is something we get to hear a lot. We kid about dragging our SO to shows, but usually that is all it takes, and once they are there, they get it. kwim? How many times have we seen tweets from guys dragged to a DC show, and then later say I was wrong, or David Cook Rocks, etc. The world NEEDS to see/hear him. That is all it takes. Not everyone watches Idol.

This is why I believe he needs to be performing on shows like AMA, or Grammies, etc. However, I would rather see him ROCK on one of those shows, rather than sing a ballad. I love FIM. LOVE IT!!!! But, I sure would rather see him do a rock song, with its energy and attitude. Then again, everyone loves a ballad. right?

Guest Guest

Thanks for your recap, Connie! So happy you and your hubby had a great time and that he was cookified too Great

Speaking of cookified, I saw on twitter that someone who met David said that He did not even know that cookified was an actual term used and in the urban dictionary. lol Thought that was cute.

@vsteph1 wrote:
rockermama Thanks for your post. I loved the part about your husband. This is something we get to hear a lot. We kid about dragging our SO to shows, but usually that is all it takes, and once they are there, they get it. kwim? How many times have we seen tweets from guys dragged to a DC show, and then later say I was wrong, or David Cook Rocks, etc. The world NEEDS to see/hear him. That is all it takes. Not everyone watches Idol.

This is why I believe he needs to be performing on shows like AMA, or Grammies, etc. However, I would rather see him ROCK on one of those shows, rather than sing a ballad. I love FIM. LOVE IT!!!! But, I sure would rather see him do a rock song, with its energy and attitude. Then again, everyone loves a ballad. right?

It is very cool to me that both guys and gals love Dave. He appeals to such a large audience and that really is a remarkable thing in this day and age. Not many artists can do that nowadays. I agree I would rather see him perform at one of those shows doing a rock song. Ballads are great but rock songs are what drew me to him in the first place. It really does amaze me how he can do both so effortlessly. Not everyone has the kind of talent that Dave does.

Made wrote:
Thanks for your recap, Connie! So happy you and your hubby had a great time and that he was cookified too Great

Thanks and yes my hubby was. When we first got there we were looking for the bathroom and went down a hallway only to run smack dab into the VIP pictures being taken. We stood there watching. Ok me watching and hubby taking pictures LOL flag Anyway we stood there for awhile and then Dave looks over, sees my hubby, points to him, say hey and gives him a little clap and thumbs up. Hubby was wearing his Cincinnati Bengals jersey and Dave gave approved. Perhaps another reason Dave is OK now in hubbys book

Guest Guest
Made wrote:

List of photobucket/flickr/twitpic/etc. collections of photos.

Eve, is it ok if I use this photo as my new avi? Heart

Of course! Enjoy!

Guest Guest
Made wrote:

Thanks and yes my hubby was. When we first got there we were looking for the bathroom and went down a hallway only to run smack dab into the VIP pictures being taken. We stood there watching. Ok me watching and hubby taking pictures LOL flag Anyway we stood there for awhile and then Dave looks over, sees my hubby, points to him, say hey and gives him a little clap and thumbs up. Hubby was wearing his Cincinnati Bengals jersey and Dave gave approved. Perhaps another reason Dave is OK now in hubbys book

That's so cool! And David is really a man's man, KWIM? IMO, any man that meets him will feel the connection and any man that loves rock will recognize his talent... if they are given the chance *cough*newmanagement-shout-out*cough* LOL

Where do I begin for the Cincinnati show....

we get into the theathre and head immediately to the merch booth to get our M&G passes only to find out that there wouldn't be one that night.... but we were ok with that, I still got the 4-Letter Word tee that i had been eyeing from the night before and the poster. we look over find the bar and the boys finishing up the VIP M&G so that was fun to watch. we head to our seats we ended up 7th row which still wasn't bad at all.

We had NO idea what was in store for us that night tho. I was happy that Carolina liar was with them again Rickard is gorgeous to watch. They announced they would be out to meet and greet people so we jumped out of our seats and headed to get in line. they were very cool to meet I mentioned to Chad i had seen them in columbus a month ago and was happy they were there tonight. we took a photo... then ran back to our seats just as the "I said Lights off!" went off.

The show was beyond amazing and when he played Life on the moon again i couldn't of been happier!! the led zepplin cover is just insanely hot. when he played goodbye to the girl... I freaking lost it. I was damn near balling by the time he finished. it was just like hearing it for the first time all over again, that song just hits me right to the core. It was one of the songs i was really wanting to hear live. So, so glad i got that opportunity.

Now Fade into me..... I just stood there looking like this --> Holy Sheep!
there are no words to describe that performance, his voice is just stunning. I had tears streaming down my face... my best friend is crying so hard she's shaking. the song ends and she's looks at me and says "I have to see him" so during rapid eye moment we gathered our stuff and walked out to the bus.

about 10 mins later david in his skeleton hoodie zipped all the way up over his face comes running out around the bus. he unzipped it said hi and said that he had to get his stuff together first. we said ok and stayed put. Monty came out and hopped on the bus then a few mins later Kyle came out and we talked with him for a few while he loaded his stuff on the bus and told us that Andy and david were flying to NYC that night for a gig. We took photos with Kyle then he hopped on the bus. about 10 mins later the door opens and David in a crazy looking hat hops off the bus and offers to do pictures and such. i let my best friend go first she took her photo and talked to him briefly she mention she had met him in columbus after the and he said yeah I'm pretty good with faces. I then go over to him and tell him thank you for playing life on the moon tonight, he looked at me and then says, I said I'd make it happen didn't i? I about died right there I just went "yep" he took a photo with me then took off back across the street.

we then head back inside the theatre to see Gavin thinking the show had already started cause we saw gavin run in a little bit ago.. nope the show hadn't started. we got back to our seats happy as can be and I had a blast watching Gavin again... the lady next to me after the show asked if I had gone to Gavin's M&G I said no she hands me an autographed poster and says, I'm more of a david fan and you look like your a fan of Gavin. I was dumbfounded I thanked her and we hit the road back to columbus.

http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc430/ImAFashionNerd/

Guest Guest
Holly, Thanks for the recap! I'm glad you had such an amazing concert experience.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.