Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cjester27

The Twitter talk thread! - Part 14

Quote :
@thedavidcook
Working on a new idea with @andyskib. Very different, but lovin' it.

Tapping toe

Guest Guest
Ugh what a tease!

Guest Guest
Yup I love that he's a master teaser.

Guest Guest

The Master at teasing has returned to Twitter I see.......

*Damn him* cranky

It's crazy how we all love his teasing (yeah, I lied ^ and of course you know Razz), we're all wrapped around his fingers. Damn Very Happy

@cjester27 wrote:
Quote :
@thedavidcook

Tapping toe

If this "new and different idea" has something to do with aesthetically deviating from the style and arrangement employed in DCTR and TLM for a new song, I'm all for it - particularly if it makes the song more appealing to radio program directors and disc jockeys , enticing them to play the song more often.. Laughing

It's crazy how we all love his teasing (yeah, I lied ^ and of course you know Razz), we're all wrapped around his fingers. Damn Very Happy

Yes Dinna !! He kills us... such a torture !! Twisted Evil
bouncebounce

@Analytics wrote:
@cjester27 wrote:
Quote :
@thedavidcook

If this "new and different idea" has something to do with aesthetically deviating from the style and arrangement employed in DCTR and TLM for a new song, I'm all for it - particularly if it makes the song more appealing to radio program directors and disc jockeys , enticing them to play the song more often.. Laughing

That tweet elicited similar thoughts in me - that it might indicate a more "radio-friendly" type of song. I was thinking about it as I was falling asleep last night, actually, lol. If he had said he and some co-writer of RCA's choosing, as opposed to Andy who would be of his choosing, I would probably worry that it might not be very David. But that it's with Andy is very cool and I think Andy has a great pop sensibility. I can see the two of them coming up with something that is more "pop" than TLM but still very much David.

ETA: I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on the new album - do you want it to be more radio-friendly? We are not industry people so we don't know what exactly that is, so what does that mean to you? Do you think he can stay more to the rock end of pop-rock and have a big hit? If not, would you rather he go more pop to get greater success or do you feel that is "selling out"?

I prefer that he stays true to himself and not have a radio hit unless it would mean that he wouldn't give us new music any more.

It isn't that I don't want him to have a big hit. I do. I just want it to be able to recognize it.

ETA: I am curious what everyone's thoughts are on the new album - do you want it to be more radio-friendly? We are not industry people so we don't know what exactly that is, so what does that mean to you? Do you think he can stay more to the rock end of pop-rock and have a big hit? If not, would you rather he go more pop to get greater success or do you feel that is "selling out"?

I want to see him selling a million or so albuns, attracting a huge audience to his show, playing at radios - but to me is more important he could make the new album "HIS ALBUM" (HIS meaning something that comes from his heart, his feelings, the kind of music that pleases him).
Maybe it'll be impossible to match both desires.
I'm quite sure the decision about the new album is not at his hands - of course his oppinion will be considered - cause his label wants to sell, earn money... so maybe the new album could tend to have more radio-friendly songs.
He could make something - a parallel initiative - similar to MWK, THH: Record an EP/another album at an independent label with the kind of music he "really" wants, to the people who love his no matter how many albuns he sells - his faithfull fans !!

IMO he is very frustrated about the way TLM was received by the media, radios, etc...
He spent 2 years working hard on it, caring about each detail, each instrument track of each song...
He put so much of his soul, his life on it...
I think he was expecting TLM could sell more, that his singles could be at the top charts, his tour could last as long as Declaration Tour...
I think he has a broken heart... This was quite evident at the enormous emotional charge that he showed at NY show ... his tears .. his REM performance close to the audience, holding his fans hands ... how he said goodbye .... it's like something was really hurting inside him !

I think David is a true rocker, and I want him to stay true to himself. He is not now, nor has he ever been pop. I hope the label stops forcing him to do what THEY consider pop radio friendly crap. I am a rocker and I listen to rock, hard rock, and alternative rock. To me, "radio friendly" fits into one of those categories and would be played on those types of radio stations. I hope he never has to be on those top 40 pop/hip-hop/teeny bopper stations because he is WAY better than that (imo). His music is way more important that crappy top 40.

My opinion, as usual. LOL flag

@pn112 wrote:
I hope he never has to be on those top 40 pop/hip-hop/teeny bopper stations because he is WAY better than that (imo). His music is way more important that crappy top 40.

My opinion, as usual. LOL flag

High Five!Clapping DITTO Peggy !!!

Rock radio will not play him. Ever. Period. So if we ever want to hear him on the radio, we're going to have to get used to hearing him on HAC or something.

Guest Guest
@Piper wrote:

I want to see him selling a million or so albuns, attracting a huge audience to his show, playing at radios - but to me is more important he could make the new album "HIS ALBUM" (HIS meaning something that comes from his heart, his feelings, the kind of music that pleases him).
Maybe it'll be impossible to match both desires.
I'm quite sure the decision about the new album is not at his hands - of course his oppinion will be considered - cause his label wants to sell, earn money... so maybe the new album could tend to have more radio-friendly songs.
He could make something - a parallel initiative - similar to MWK, THH: Record an EP/another album at an independent label with the kind of music he "really" wants, to the people who love his no matter how many albuns he sells - his faithfull fans !!

IMO he is very frustrated about the way TLM was received by the media, radios, etc...
He spent 2 years working hard on it, caring about each detail, each instrument track of each song...
He put so much of his soul, his life on it...
I think he was expecting TLM could sell more, that his singles could be at the top charts, his tour could last as long as Declaration Tour...
I think he has a broken heart... This was quite evident at the enormous emotional charge that he showed at NY show ... his tears .. his REM performance close to the audience, holding his fans hands ... how he said goodbye .... it's like something was really hurting inside him !

Not while he's under contract to RCA he can't. He can't release any music except on their label. Now maybe he'll do an EP under their name, with the kind of music he really wants... which IMO, could be what he's writing now.

I have to disagree with this whole part Chris...

I think he went into this album's release with a very realistic point of view about how the album would sell. He was very open about how he made the record he wanted to make and felt he had to make. He was (and is, I'm sure) very proud of it. But he also is a smart man, and I think he knew pretty much how it was going to go both sales and singles wise. He kept saying that he didn't want to make a record with a few singles and other songs just stuck in there. He knows what is selling now, and he didn't worry about that. I think he knew what it was likely to sell... and I think what it has sold has pretty much been what both he and the label expected from this album. Maybe even more. Dave and RCA know the music industry, what's selling right now, what's playing on the radio. I'm sure he would have liked stronger sales and singles, but I don't think the results he's gotten have frustrated him or broken his heart. (And if his heart gets broken that easily over a record... he may be in the wrong business. The truth is that in relation to other similar artists, he's done quite respectably.)

And I interpreted his tears and emotions at the show as a reaction from a guy who isn't afraid to show his emotions. He was overwhelmed with the love he was feeling. It sure didn't seem like a goodbye to me... more like a "Thank you" to all the fans who are standing by him. All just my opinion, of course.

Peggy... Amen to your post! But Dorothy's right... Rock radio's not going to play him. My biggest hope is that popular music makes a turn to something a little more Dave's style.

I was thinking about this lately, especially since Jason Mraz's new single came out. Because it occurred to me that what really sets apart JM, and Adele, for instance, from most of the other pop crap on the radio is one thing -- and that's simple, spare production work that doesn't go overboard on the instrumentation, and puts the singer's voice front and center, so that the focus is on that and on the song's melody. There's no horrible dance beat, no autotune -- and both of these singers are currently radio darlings. Certainly, JM's single already got upwards of 2 million hits on YT before it was even released to radio -- and granted, much of that is riding on the success of "I'm Yours," I'm sure, but I think it also says a lot about the song itself.

So here's my thought -- and I'm not suggesting that DC either create a whole album in this manner, either -- but a song or two, produced like that? THAT might actually work on the radio. And the reason I think it's actually feasible is that it's something he's done before. Permanent was performed and produced that way. And FIM was regularly performed that way, once he realized how well the acoustic version worked. It's not something that's foreign to him, or that would feel fake -- because, again, he's done it already. Granted, I don't really know if it would have been possible to do that with a song on TLM within the context of the entire album -- the production work on it was done with the entire album in mind -- but with a new album, everything is wide open. And maybe this would only work with a ballad, but honestly, he really, really needs a radio hit right now, and I'll be happy with whatever gets him on people's radars again. Once people know he's back then an uptempo song can knock their socks off.

(And yeah, maybe I'm delusional, but I really think it might work.)

ETA: I agree with Jeannie. His tears in NYC were an emotional outlet, because he was touched by the response from the crowd -- and the things he said afterwards back that up, IMO. I can't possibly believe he'd cry on stage because he was disappointed by the album and tour reception -- and certainly not at the "show of the night/tour" Laughing.

Guest Guest
That might be an interesting thing to try, Cim. It might be worth it.

Jeannie and Cimorene - I agree that
" his tears and emotions at the show as a reaction from a guy who isn't afraid to show his emotions. He was overwhelmed with the love he was feeling, and a way to say "Thank you" to all the fans who are standing by him".
But something - not "concrete" - tells me he got somehow heartbroken (even knowing it could happen) and seized the moment and let all his emotions to flow together - both the happy and sad ones ... (he isn't afraid to show his emotions).
But it's just a "unexplained feeling "...
Maybe because he has some aspects of his personality that rememeber me so much, my own way to think/feel ....
Maybe I'm wrong... anyway only him knows ...

Guest Guest
Of course you are entitled to your opinion Chris. And everyone's opinions are just that - no one knows for sure but Dave. But heartbreak is a pretty heavy thing to put on anyone without knowing... especially someone joking a minute later about the "tequila talking" and the "Show of the night."

I still don't see it at all. He was clearly having a blast on stage the whole time he was up there - hanging with good friends, playing to a full crowd that was showing him the love a million times over, singing along with his songs - songs he is very proud to have written - while his "bosses" were in the audience to see the reaction he was getting. Watching the videos, I can't see any heartbreak there. Just overwhelming joy. Maybe that's just me. *shrugs*

Jeannie wrote:
Of course you are entitled to your opinion Chris. And everyone's opinions are just that - no one knows for sure but Dave. But heartbreak is a pretty heavy thing to put on anyone without knowing... especially someone joking a minute later about the "tequila talking" and the "Show of the night."

I still don't see it at all. He was clearly having a blast on stage the whole time he was up there - hanging with good friends, playing to a full crowd that was showing him the love a million times over, singing along with his songs - songs he is very proud to have written - while his "bosses" were in the audience to see the reaction he was getting. Watching the videos, I can't see any heartbreak there. Just overwhelming joy. Maybe that's just me. *shrugs*

Jeannie, I think you are right.... Hug
I saw all the videos - tons of times - and he was really having a blast:
- the show was awesome (the best of the night..the tour Very Happy )
- the audience couldn't be more amazing and showed him so much love (on behalf of all the ones that couldn't be there)
- he was surrounded by his band buds and other friends on the stage....

Maybe my "drama-queen" side took the control...sometimes it happens LOL flag - and made me misinterpretate the whole thing.
Or better: made me interpreted as "his" feelings, something that would be "my own" feelings if I was in the same situation of him.

Guest Guest
Hug Chris. That's easy to do. I think we're all (fans) guilty at times of thinking we know what he wants or feels... because it's what we want or feel. Wink

@Piper wrote:
" his tears and emotions at the show as a reaction from a guy who isn't afraid to show his emotions. He was overwhelmed with the love he was feeling, and a way to say "Thank you" to all the fans who are standing by him".
But something - not "concrete" - tells me he got somehow heartbroken (even knowing it could happen) and seized the moment and let all his emotions to flow together - both the happy and sad ones ... (he isn't afraid to show his emotions).
Maybe because he has some aspects of his personality that rememeber me so much, my own way to think/feel ....

ITA with this perception. David is an extremely sensitive and caring person - that's why we love him so much.

That said, it would not be far-fetched to deduce that a less-than-enthusiastic reception of TLM among the public (other than us, die-hard fans who consider TLM a "masterpiece") would wound David deeply.

He would have to be "untrue" to himself (being very sensitive) not to feel significant disappointment over the less than stellar performance of TLM on which he had poured his whole being for two years.

So, yes, I believe David feels wounded, but I also believe he has superior inner strength. He may be wounded but he will not let this disappointment defeat him - JMO. Most of all, he has intense love and appreciation of his faithful fans and passionately feeds off of their undying support of him, as strongly demonstrated in that memorable NY concert.

I am hoping that David will take stock of his current situation, examine what worked and didn't worked, and produce new music that is consistent with the values he holds dearly in life but is also "in touch" with what the public finds appealing - especially radio PDs and DJs who appear to have the power to convey music to millions of ears.

I still believe in David - I believe he can do this - that is, worm his way into millions of fans again.. DC Cheerleader

@Analytics wrote:
@Piper wrote:

ITA with this perception. David is an extremely sensitive and caring person - that's why we love him so much.

That said, it would not be far-fetched to deduce that a less-than-enthusiastic reception of TLM among the public (other than us, die-hard fans who consider TLM a "masterpiece") would wound David deeply.

He would have to be "untrue" to himself (being very sensitive) not to feel significant disappointment over the less than stellar performance of TLM on which he had poured his whole being for two years.

So, yes, I believe David feels wounded, but I also believe he has superior inner strength. He may be wounded but he will not let this disappointment defeat him - JMO. Most of all, he has intense love and appreciation of his faithful fans and passionately feeds off of their undying support of him, as strongly demonstrated in that memorable NY concert.

I am hoping that David will take stock of his current situation, examine what worked and didn't worked, and produce new music that is consistent with the values he holds dearly in life but is also "in touch" with what the public finds appealing - especially radio PDs and DJs who appear to have the power to convey music to millions of ears.

I still believe in David - I believe he can do this - that is, worm his way into millions of fans again.. DC Cheerleader

ClappingClapping Ana, I think you'd probably made the most realistic picture of the whole situation: High Five!

Having been at the NY show, his emotions were completely definitely those of gratitude. He pointed out that he had label executives at the show and how grateful he was that we were so responsive. He was totally overwhelmed by how epic the crowd was.
If there was any sadness at all, it was that this leg of the tour was over and he had to go a little bit without touring until either a new leg was scheduled or he released new music.
Honestly, Dave and RCA know music better than we ever will, so I'm not going to really judge and stress about it. Hell, we know we're getting another album, right? That's all I care about. It's hard for musicians to stay afloat, but obviously RCA believes in Dave enough to let him make another record and promote him for another release. That's all that matters to me.

Guest Guest
Mal, are you sure you're only 16? Because you have wisdom far beyond your years.

Like you, I'm happy to know he's writing new music and working towards the future. I'm so happy that last show of the tour (or that leg of it) was such an awesome one... and that the record execs were there to be a part of it. What a perfect ending to the tour that was!

I'm sure he has some disappointment - he's human - but I expect he was also very realistic, because that seems to be part of his nature as well. He listens to the radio - or one can assume he does - and he knows what music is playing their now. While I'm sure he hoped one of the TLM songs would strike it big, I'm sure he also knew that they didn't have the same sound as what is currently playing... and was prepared for what happened.

And honestly - while TLM may not have been a HUGE success, it certainly sold as well as (or better than) similar artist's current albums. It has been successful in its own way. And if the label execs had honestly expected something much different than what it was, I don't think he would have been talking about his third album yet.

Guest Guest
I've been waiting not so patiently to get home from work so I could respond to Stacy's question. I read it earlier today on my iphone, but there was no way I was typing up a long answer on that thing lol.

I'm with Cim on this one. I would love to see him do a stripped down single or two. I don't mean just Dave and an acoustic guitar, but definitely something where his voice is front and center. Something with a catchy hook. Something radio friendly. I don't think he has to be untrue to his roots or himself. He has had a few album songs and many live performances where he has done this. So it's not something that I would say is outside of his comfort zone. Fall Back Into Me is the first one that comes to mind.

I know the example is overused but I'm thinking of something along the lines of Adele's last couple of singles. A song that rises above pop crap on the radio, but is still catchy enough to hook the listening audience.

I agree that rock radio for whatever reasons will probably never accept David's music. Really what is "rock" music today? My answer would be very different from my kids' answers. When I think "rock" my mind wanders to classic rock bands, arena rock of the 70s and 80s and the beginning of the grunge movement. My kids' rock music is very new, very alternative and imo harsh.

So back to Stacy's question. Yes, I want him to do a radio friendly single or two. I truly believe he can accomplish that without compromising his musical principles. I want him to do it for purely selfish reasons. I want him to continue to earn big label backing. That way he can continue to make music for me to enjoy. He can continue to tour nationally so I can see him live.

I like Cim's idea of a more stripped down single. It probably wouldn't happen, but on radio stations like XM The Pulse, they play cover songs that artists have done in studio and stuff. I think he would get a lot of attention if they played a cover of RITD or something. They'll play Drive occasionally.
I do think that the more stripped songs would be a big hit on the radio. I think that a big misconception in radio now is that everything has to be super upbeat and fun to be a hit on the radio. I mean, look at Christina Perri. She got super famous for Jar of Hearts, which is 100% ballad. And even songs like Coldplay's Fix You are so popular but really, there is nothing to it. Not only would David sound gorgeous singing a song like Fix You or something similar, but I think people would really take to that.

@Analytics wrote:
@Piper wrote:
Maybe because he has some aspects of his personality that remember me so much, my own way to think/feel ....

ALL of what Ana said.

I totally believe in him, too. As much as ever. Maybe even more than ever. IDK, I've said before, ever since TLM came out, it's been like falling in love all over again, even though it's not like I had ever stopped. Like... being married and renewing our vows, lol. The album IS a masterpiece, and I believe it is absolutely the album he needed to make, the album to take the tornado of emotions he was swept up in when the Dec Tour ended and make magic out of it. I also agree that sales were disappointing. Whether it was the time he took that he needed to make it, or that none of the songs skyrocketed on the radio, or that that kind of sound is not "hip" today... who knows? It doesn't matter. It is what it is. It is wonderful. It is what he needed to make. And it is therefore what I needed.

But now he's going through different things. And so I would expect a different sound no matter what. And maybe now that he worked all that stuff out, he may feel free to experiment more (like the tweet that started this conversation) with sounds that are part of him, but also radio-friendly. Maybe it's just that 3 is my lucky number, but I have a really good feeling about this album and its singles. We don't know a thing about it other than two co-writers, lol, but IDK, call it intuition. Something about all that has happened in the last four years, and how he's processed it so beautifully, it just "feels" like this next one is going to be big. I love the stripped-down song thoughts a few have been expressing.

And to address the talk of his reactions at the Irving Plaza show. Ah, fuck me, I'm in tears just starting to think about it. It was truly magical. Transcendent. IDK, it felt to me like whatever hurt he may have had, from whatever causes, some of which I think was the feeling/fear he may have lost some of us, because fewer of us bought his album, and some shows even didn't sell out, whatever uncertainties plagued him, that show was his anodyne, a panacea. He let himself go, to fully connect with us, to let us love him, to soak it up and give it all back, to fade into us. To me, his tears felt like joyful letting go tears.

I just hope he carries all that NY energy around with him for a long, long time. And if he should ever doubt himself, or our loyalty to him, that he just remember that night. And this time, if he needs another infusion of our energy, goddammit David just schedule a concert! You don't HAVE to be on concert hiatus while writing! And run a few new songs by us! But until he emerges from whatever hibernation he needs, I hope he pops in here occasionally as well to see we are all still here for him.
Aww. donuts!

Wow, Stacy started an amazing conversation. Everyone's comments are terrific.

When I was young (1000 years ago) all we had if we were not near our record player's at home, was the radio. In the car, transistor radios, etc. Now people take their music with them. So here is my question. Today, is radio THAT important? I don't listen to it at all. Well unless Dave is doing a interview. I try to listen to it once in a blue moon and I can't even take it for 5 minutes.

I know that at one time radio, and what was played drove sales and charts. But with Itunes, internet, tv, etc., is radio THAT important. I'm not saying it isn't important, but is it THAT important?

Oh and as far as what I think. I want David to be true to himself, whatever that means to him. If he wants to rock (he does it so well) then that is great. If he wants to do a radio friendly tne, great! As long as the song is him and not someone else? kwim? I think he can have a radio friendly hit, but it just has to be the right song.

I like the comment above about the single not focusing so much on all the instrumentation, and putting the voice front and center. Obviously you have to have instruments, lol, but his voice (like other artists, with unique voices) should be front and center. omo of course.

Just FYI, I realized this thread was about to split at whatever # post, so I split it where I thought was a natural spot - with the tweet about writing with Andy that sparked this incredible conversation still going on. In fact, maybe it will become a topic of it's own separate from the twitter threads? But the twitter threads have kinda morphed into our version of an anything-goes about David thread. So IDK. Never mind my rambling. Carry on. Smile

@cimorene wrote:
I was thinking about this lately, especially since Jason Mraz's new single came out. Because it occurred to me that what really sets apart JM, and Adele, for instance, from most of the other pop crap on the radio is one thing -- and that's simple, spare production work that doesn't go overboard on the instrumentation, and puts the singer's voice front and center, so that the focus is on that and on the song's melody. There's no horrible dance beat, no autotune -- and both of these singers are currently radio darlings. Certainly, JM's single already got upwards of 2 million hits on YT before it was even released to radio -- and granted, much of that is riding on the success of "I'm Yours," I'm sure, but I think it also says a lot about the song itself.

So here's my thought -- and I'm not suggesting that DC either create a whole album in this manner, either -- but a song or two, produced like that? THAT might actually work on the radio. And the reason I think it's actually feasible is that it's something he's done before. Permanent was performed and produced that way. And FIM was regularly performed that way, once he realized how well the acoustic version worked. It's not something that's foreign to him, or that would feel fake -- because, again, he's done it already. Granted, I don't really know if it would have been possible to do that with a song on TLM within the context of the entire album -- the production work on it was done with the entire album in mind -- but with a new album, everything is wide open. And maybe this would only work with a ballad, but honestly, he really, really needs a radio hit right now, and I'll be happy with whatever gets him on people's radars again. Once people know he's back then an uptempo song can knock their socks off.

(And yeah, maybe I'm delusional, but I really think it might work.)

^ You read my mind, Cim. I'll join you in your delusional corner, then Very Happy

Everybody has such wonderful thoughts and opinions on this, I feel I don't really have anything to add! lol

But I will.... Razz

I just want to say this. I love David and his 'style' of music because he has always been able to draw me in with whatever he's singing. I love the rocker David the most because I FEEL that is where his heart is the most and that is my preference of music. I do love pop music, I just don't like (as he puts it) the 'Club scene' type of music that is so repetitively played on the radio today.

With that being said, however. I still love David's voice. It's the chocolate syrup to my vanilla ice cream!

David has been in doing this for a long time and knows what doesn't work one way, may work another. Change it up! It's what he does. If he chooses to deviate from his traditional rock sound in favor of more radio friendly music, I can't help but believe it's his choice to do so, and I'll support it. Yes, I know the label will have a strong hand in his decisions, but at the end of the day...David will have a say in it.

All that to say.....if David chooses to make a more pop friendly records, then so be it. I'd rather suffer a sweet tooth from Rock Candy but if I have to, I'll pick up the bubble gum and start chewing. Cool

*Geez.....for someone with nothing to say, I sure said a mouth full! lol

Guest Guest
LOL Lisa! I also prefer David's music/voice with a more rock edge. But I'm all for him putting out a radio friendly single or two if it allows him to make more albums.

@Serenity wrote:
Everybody has such wonderful thoughts and opinions on this, I feel I don't really have anything to add! lol

But I will....

I just want to say this. I love David and his 'style' of music because he has always been able to draw me in with whatever he's singing. I love the rocker David the most because I FEEL that is where his heart is the most and that is my preference of music. I do love pop music, I just don't like (as he puts it) the 'Club scene' type of music that is so repetitively played on the radio today.

With that being said, however. I still love David's voice. It's the chocolate syrup to my vanilla ice cream!

David has been in doing this for a long time and knows what doesn't work one way, may work another. Change it up! It's what he does. If he chooses to deviate from his traditional rock sound in favor of more radio friendly music, I can't help but believe it's his choice to do so, and I'll support it. Yes, I know the label will have a strong hand in his decisions, but at the end of the day...David will have a say in it.

All that to say.....if David chooses to make a more pop friendly records, then so be it. I'd rather suffer a sweet tooth from Rock Candy but if I have to, I'll pick up the bubble gum and start chewing.

*Geez.....for someone with nothing to say, I sure said a mouth full! lol

Oooo that is the perfect analogy!

Wow, I just want to say I am LOVING all the things everyone is bringing up in this discussion! And also loving that so far, everyone agrees David 1) has it in him to write and sing another radio hit, and 2) that while said hit would probably not be the same style as the TLM songs, that it would still be very much him, without compromising who he is as an artist.

I want to bring up also that I think the next album can have 2-4 songs on it that are clearly intended to be radio-friendly, and the others more... more rock, or more alternative or whatever, and that does NOT mean the album is a few singles and "filler." I think it could be done as a cohesive album, and one that those who like the radio songs and buy it will find they like the edgier stuff as well once the singles draw them in. I don't think it could have worked with his vision for TLM, but I do think it could for the next one.

Hm...me being one who likes the contrast between rocker Dave and sensitive, acoustic Dave here's a thought: an album that is half and half. It's been done before, folks. Even as a double album!! We all know he's got a huge cache of songs written... Wink

Of course we did get This Quiet Night, but as a 5-song EP it was really just a teaser.

Quote :
@dinnac4t
Permanent is #427 on iTunes Pop now.

For those that don't know, Colton Dixon was pressured by the Idol judges to audition again [his sister Skuyler auditioned tonight, and did Breakeven by The Script]...and did a decent job on Permanent. Both made it to Hollywood.

Hee hee, thanks for quoting me, unfortunately I didn't get a screencap cause iTunes crashed my PC. It's still good that it's charting, however trivial it seems. Thanks, Colton!

Quote :
@thedavidcook
Awesome seeing Colton singing "Permanent" tonight on @AmericanIdol. Humbled and flattered that he chose that song.

Altogether = AWWW!!!! Awww Love

EDIT: And Colton's response?
Quote :
@MColtonDixon
@thedavidcook dude, one of my favorites. Thanks for the shout out!

Guest Guest

Awwww.... Awww Love

@cjester27 wrote:
Quote :
@thedavidcook
Awesome seeing Colton singing "Permanent" tonight on @AmericanIdol. Humbled and flattered that he chose that song.

Quote :
@MColtonDixon

Awww LoveAwww Love

@cjester27 wrote:
Quote :
@thedavidcook

Altogether = AWWW!!!! Awww Love

EDIT: And Colton's response?
Quote :
@MColtonDixon

Adding my Awwwwwwwww

Colton MAY just have to be one of my picks this year, just because he has fantastic musical taste and instincts! No, I'm not prejudiced! Not at all.... Not me..... Rolling Eyes

I actually like Colton's sister's singing more than his. And I think it was a little jerky of him to say he was just there to support his sister and give her the spotlight then proceed to steal that spotlight. *Ducks tomatoes.*