Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

The Twitter talk thread! - Part 15!

Just very happy to know that he's still care for the fans and listening to our complaint about the web down Smile and it's back on now. Yay David, u rockz!!!

I think Sony probably already officially stopped support of the site, in that it will no longer assume payments on both the domain renewal and hosting of the site on a server. Obviously, it is no longer supporting the site software-wise as well.

I think that effective last Nov. 27, 2012, Sony officially turned over the responsibility of "maintaining" the site in its current state to David.

If so, I think that David has probably already taken over making regular payment(s) for domain renewals from now on, as well as payments for hosting the site in some server, for an indefinite period of time.

Guest Guest
Sony has never turned over a site "as is" to a former artist. They always maintain it for a period of months (I think Lee's lasted about 8 months after he was dropped, if I recall correctly.) Archie's was the same. They allow the artist to buy the name, but the name will eventually have to be associated with a completely different site, that doesn't use any of their stuff. One day that site will "poof" and you will be directed to an entirely different looking one. That will be a site being run by Dave and his management. It certainly won't have the RCA and Sony names anywhere on it, and it won't link to Sony's conditions and terms... which I just clicked the link now and it does.

Who paid for the domain name to be renewed for a year? Maybe Dave, maybe Sony... if Sony he will have to purchase the name from them when the transition is made. That's a written agreement in the contracts they make with artists. But the site as it stands, with it's content and graphics, belongs to Sony*, and I'm sure it will be the same as it was with the other artists they no longer support - and will disappear one day.

What the new site will look like -whether it will have forums, or be simply an informational site - will be up to him.

* They are very clear in the terms and conditions that everything posted on the board belongs to them, and may not be used by anyone else.

Quote :
Ownership: All material on the Site, including, but not limited to, text, data, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio clips, video clips, links, digital downloads, data compilations, and software is owned, controlled by, or licensed to Sony Music and is protected by copyright, trademark, and other intellectual property rights.

@Analytics wrote:
I think Sony probably already officially stopped support of the site, in that it will no longer assume payments on both the domain renewal and hosting of the site on a server. Obviously, it is no longer supporting the site software-wise as well.

I think that effective last Nov. 27, 2012, Sony officially turned over the responsibility of "maintaining" the site in its current state to David.

If so, I think that David has probably already taken over making regular payment(s) for domain renewals from now on, as well as payments for hosting the site in some server, for an indefinite period of time.

If Sony gave the site to David and stopped supporting it, why is their name still on it? Why would they lend their name, which is so big in the music industry, to an artist that they no longer represent? To be nice? Because David is such a swell guy? Yeah....I've heard record companies are generous that way, LOL.

At best then, Sony and David (and his management) are probably in the interim period of transitioning ownership / responsibility / maintenance of the site to David.

Maybe Sony won't be too rigid about the transition timing. After all David did earn them quite of bit dough at one time.

Guest Guest

To the best of my knowledge from other artists who had boards and are no longer with Sony, there is no transitioning. The artist can buy the site name, and using that name, they set up their own site, on their own host server. It has different graphics, a completely different look and feel, and may or may not have a forum for fans to post. (It seems more do not have one than do.)

They do not just transfer the content over - by the terms and conditions of the site, the content belongs to the label, not the artist Which is why Lisa and some others have been archiving the concert threads, and other important information, so all that information doesn't just go "poof" one day.

As I recall, the Idol contract I saw online for one of the minor (as in under 18) idols specifically discussed the official site and what happens to it when an artist leaves, and even sets a time for how long the label has to maintain it. I know it was less than a full year - 8 months sounds about right, but don't quote me on that. Wink

So my guess is that in the next couple/few months, DCO will go down again... and when it comes back up, it will be to a new, completely different looking site. New look, clean slate - same domain name.

RTed by David:
Quote :
@fienen
In a perfect world, @zacmaloy, @thedavidcook, and @andyskib would form a supergroup.

Guest Guest
I wouldn't mind living in that world!

Is it acceptable that I'm completely indifferent of DCO's status? I mean, not to be rude or anything but I very rarely went to that site simply because it's a pain in the ass to load. Beside, I consider THIS site my home for everything David, so... yeah.

So, okay then - with the prospect of having a completely new site to replace the old, David could even start honing his web / graphics design skills with glee to implement a brand spanking new web site. Pretty please!!!

Who knows, he may find himself to be truly artistically superb at it ... Great

If so, we'd certainly hope any possible personal involvement in the creation of a new site does not significantly distract David from production and release of that new cd. Music Makes me HAPPY

Dinna, I hardly ever go to DCO. I went on the other day to discover that I had a pm waiting for me since February, LOL.

I'm not so concerned about DCO as we know it being gone. But I am very curious to see what will replace it. I think that he will have more of a hand in it, and that makes it interesting to me.

Guest Guest

I'm not a DCOer either. Never have been, obviously as this is my home too Very Happy

But in spite of the contract, David might have been able to negotiate with the label to keep the site's contents as well as the domain as it is now. Who knows! What I wonder is that if David has to develop a brand new site, will he have a forum in it or just an informational website? Anyway, we'll learn soon enough.

As to a Cook/Skib/Maloy group, I wouldn't mind living in that world either Great

Quote :
@JoshHoge
pretty confident that @coreycrowder & myself got @thedavidcook in touch with his "southern side" 2day! #goodtimes #"alittlegoesalongway"

Quote :
@JoshHoge
@MendingBabylon yes I do but he never wrote a country song til today!

...and, for those that MIGHT be worried...
Quote :
@JoshHoge
@Sassycatz yeah this song has nothing to do with him or his own music.

Guest Guest
Interesting. Not a country music fan myself, but I would be curious to hear what the song sounds like. Wonder who it was for?

Guest Guest
I'm sure David could write a really good country rock-ish song. I too wonder for who it was!

I understand that people on twitter were getting all up in arms about David writing a country song. Rolling EyesRolling EyesRolling EyesRolling Eyes

They guy does not have a record deal and has to make a living somehow!!!!

Guest Guest
Agreed, dorothy. I have no clue why people were upset by this. I hope some country singer picks it up and it becomes a hit!

Guest Guest
I've always thought that Lie would make a great country cross-over song. Country music sells. He could make a good living writing in that genre.

Personally I think he should write whatever the hell he wants. No matter the genre. As long as he is happy and making a living doing what he loves. And as long as he himself makes a rock record for me once in a while. Very Happy

Dinna, I hardly ever go to DCO. I went on the other day to discover that I had a pm waiting for me since February, LOL.

I'm not so concerned about DCO as we know it being gone. But I am very curious to see what will replace it. I think that he will have more of a hand in it, and that makes it interesting to me.

Yes, I'm curious too, DP. Maybe he'll put his graphic design degree to use... it's a stretch to expect him do something like Matthew Gray Gubler with his site http://matthewgraygubler.com/, but yeah... bring it, Dave Wink

As for "going country", even if it's only in terms of writing, I always thought that the instrumental bridge on Makeover sounds a bit country-ish, so I really don't mind him going that way.

Guest Guest

I'm gonna say it and you can all throw tomatoes at me if you wish:

I'd like to hear David sing a country song (maybe that he even wrote himself).

There. Done. Very HappyRun

Guest Guest
kcbban wrote:

Me too, Kathy! Joins you in Run ing

kcbban wrote:

Just not about trucks OR cattle OR trucks and cattle in it, please Razz

kcbban wrote:

Just not about trucks OR cattle OR trucks and cattle in it, please Razz

Impossible. There are no country songs without trucks and cattle in them.

My husband and I were laughing at Carrie Underwood taking on the role of Maria Von Trapp in the Sound of Music. (I assume you've all heard about that).

"Billy Bob! Them thar hills is alive with the sound of banjos!" LOL flag

Guest Guest
Me too. Viv. I still don't know when I've ever laughed as hard as I did that night. That has to have been one of my favorite concerts to have been at! And then to top it off, Rachel and I got separated from the rest of our group as we were leaving the fairgrounds, and we were lost in the mountains of WV for an hour or so. Watching the GPS made it look like we were playing Mario Kart, and we kept laughing at that as well (when we weren't swearing at the WV patrolman who told us that was the way to go. LOL, good times!

Jeannie wrote:
Me too. Viv. I still don't know when I've ever laughed as hard as I did that night. That has to have been one of my favorite concerts to have been at! And then to top it off, Rachel and I got separated from the rest of our group as we were leaving the fairgrounds, and we were lost in the mountains of WV for an hour or so. Watching the GPS made it look like we were playing Mario Kart, and we kept laughing at that as well (when we weren't swearing at the WV patrolman who told us that was the way to go. LOL, good times!

That's hilarious. Reminds me of the time my sister and I were driving through Ohio and we got lost trying to find Cleveland. We stopped at Denny's to ask for directions and the guy said: Ummm, you're in Cleveland. lol We laughed so hard we were crying.

My favorite time on this board though was the time Stacy dissed David and posted the story. I will never forget that. I laughed so hard I couldn't read the entire post due to blurry tear eyes. Smile

Guest Guest
ROFLOL That was soooo funny! A few of us were on the road to a concert the night Stacy posted that. I read it out loud to everyone, and we were all laughing so hard we were crying.

And LOL Face at your Cleveland story... Kind of a big city to miss. Though I've been lost in Cleveland before, so I understand.

Well we went thru Cleveland and were looking for some other town but we couldn't find it so we turned around and decided to go back. But we just kept driving and driving and it just seemed like we should have seen it by then. so we pulled off and apparently we were already in Cleveland. Obviously not in the city part. lol.

As far as Stacy's story, it was her delivery. It was the way she told the story that was so funny. I can just see you guys in the car reading that and laughing. Classic.

EmbarassedLaughing I'm glad everyone here enjoyed that story. I don't think David did very much, lol. STILL can't believe I acted so weird - no idea what came over me.

I'm surprised with the talk of my funny faux-pas and funny travel stories that noone brought up the one about my accidental striptease show in the car that one roadtrip. LOL flag

Guest Guest
ROFLOL That was a priceless moment.

Stacy - "No one can see in."

Car coming the opposite direction slows to a crawl and passes by while male driver gawks out the window.

Barb, Peggy, and Jeannie (in the midst of hysterical laughing - "Umm, Stacy? He seems to be enjoying the show!"

ROFLOL

I kid about the country songs. He can write anything and I'll still be all over it, pretty sure of it Very Happy

And speaking of laughs, there were so many laughable moments in Singapore where I would have laughed my ass off if I weren't on the VIP area most of the time, trying to act professional and all.

One thing was when he asked the audience how we were doing "Alright, you guys having a good time, everybody good, everybody happy?" and everyone cheered. And then he added "you got to see some fashion..." and silence. LOL flag It was hilarious. He seemed amused the whole time Very Happy

Guest Guest
Jeannie wrote:
ROFLOL That was a priceless moment.

Stacy - "No one can see in."

Car coming the opposite direction slows to a crawl and passes by while male driver gawks out the window.

Barb, Peggy, and Jeannie (in the midst of hysterical laughing - "Umm, Stacy? He seems to be enjoying the show!"

ROFLOL

The moral of that story is to bring a travel coffee mug with a secure lid everywhere you go!! No spilled coffee equals no strip tease in the car LOL flag

@cjester27 wrote:
Quote :
@thedavidcook
Song of the day: "Goodbye LA" by those @GRO boys.

scratch

People on twitter are speculating that he sold (as in, finally closed on) his house in LA yesterday. That would make sense out of an otherwise random tweet.

Did he sell his house? That would be awesome! But that's a big leap just from that one tweet about the gro song. Were there any other clues? Or was it just speculation? Just curious.

Wow! Thanks DP. I have wondered for a while now if it sold. Thanks for the article. That has to be a huge burden of his mind, I would think.

I don't go on twitter much anymore. So I guess I miss a lot.

Guest Guest

I know it was listed as pending in November, so that would make sense. I hope it has sold.

I didn't even think about that yesterday... my first thought was he was thinking about Andy, since Andy and Jenny are leaving LA to move to Nashville this Saturday. But Dave's house selling makes more sense.

For clarity, in case anyone missed it and since I haven't seen it discussed here: Andy played a show this past week in LA, and confirmed to people present that he and Jenny are moving to Nashville, and that they were leaving LA this Saturday. While he hasn't specifically said it on twitter that I know of, he did tell people there, and Kira and Neal have tweeted about how they will miss him and wish he wasn't moving. So yes, Andy is heading to Nashville. And I think that's a great move for him for his personal career, as well as for he and David to be in the same place. Great

Oooohhh, I love that Andy will be where Dave is. More co-writes? Plus Nashville does seem to see an awful lot of action as far as musicians are concerned.

Quote :
@thedavidcook
So, I just texted the word "brangelina" to @hodgesmusic, as part of a joke, and my phone did not autocorrect it, and now I'm sad for myself.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.