Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gazman

Brand new project, really old CB250 (cafe racer)

Bike starting to look good! thumbsthumbs Seat unit looks interesting, can't wait to see it on the completed bike. Keep the pics coming. For us "ham-fisted ones" it's interesting to read and watch Very HappyVery Happy

I will keep the posts and pics coming steadily but I must say that this project will not be completed and on the road until next spring time. I am approaching this project a bit different to the bandit project, I will be refurbishing, modifying and fabricating parts and then placing them aside. Once everything is ready I will start to build and so the exciting bit will be a few weeks before completion. Mainly because of space and storage issues now I have 3 bikes. thumbsthumbs

dont worry gaz you cant rush perfection matey,good things come to those who wait.

i cant send my polishing for you to do mate, you barely have enough time to work on your bike let alone mine!
cant make the ride out , im meant to be working but am trying to get out of it.

looking forward to more updates as and when they come dude! party

Very true Mark he cant rush a good and perfect project, take ya time Gaz it makes it more exciting to see what goes on next applauseapplauseapplausethumbs

So it's the weekend again, time for some more polishing, I think. My welder buddy is stacked out with work this week and can't fit in my seat unit and frame mods until the end of next week. Doesn't make any difference to the project but I just hate waiting. I need to tidy the shed first but then it will be polishing time, I will start with the front caliper which I have already stripped and then move on to the alloy handle bar controls, they look like they are annodised but I did a test polish on one side a few weeks ago and it comes off slowly, leaving behind some lovely bling with ingraved lettering. I will probably wait to post progress and pics until tomorrow night, should be something to see by then. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Hi Mark, no sorry mate, had a disastrous weekend, ran out of steam and enthusiasm and really didn't get much done. I am dropping my seat unit, frame and tank to my welder man later this week and hopefully the results will spur me on to get busy again. I should learn to rest when I'm tired because I acheieve nothing. Anyway how's your finger mate. You still working this Sunday ? be good to meet up if you weren't. Gaz thumbsthumbs

yeah it doesnt help to keep on going matey you make mistakes as i have learnt .gotta find time to rest, i find i need thinking time too.
fingers getting better but will take some time. still working this weekend im afraid , tried to get out of it but they are having none of it, look forward to more updates as and when they come. thumbs

Took the frame, seat unit/ templates and a battery to my welder man, last night. When I pick it back up, I should have a lovely custom seat unit and new mounts and relocated battery box. Then all I need to do is cut off the centre stand tabs and the frame will be ready for blasting. I will be working on the cafe racer through the winter and so Monday I am having a big tidy up in my office, the frame will sit at the back where I will be able to get around it in the warm and dry. I Saved a solid desk top from a skip recently so will be using that to make a temporary work bench in the rear corner, with the buffing wheels permanently set up. Can't wait to see the new seat. thumbsthumbs

Well, I got a surprise phone call at lunch time today, seat unit and other bits ready for collection. Well pleased with the results, obviously everything is rusty and it all needs time spending to get a good finish but well pleased with the fabrication side of things. I think the pics speak for themselves but the new battery tray houses the battery and the rear hump of the seat unit has a corresponding hole which allows the seat unit to drop over the battery and then 4x countersunk bolts secure the seat unit to the frame using original mounts and threads. He has tacked a nut to the rear underside of the tank to secure the tank and allow adjustment, using treaded bar, to get seat/ tank allignment when completed. Under the new battery tray he has welded in the original frame rear loop for strength and finally he has filled the hole left after removing all traces of the original steering lock.Thats it really, very excited about getting this little lot into shape now. Next job remove the centre stand and mounts and a couple more tabs that are now not required and off to be blasted.

Gaz thumbsthumbs

@Davehutch wrote:
thumbs you can get the picture now though

Yeh and you can also see that you wouldn't want to have to do yesterdays ride out on it. affraidaffraidaffraid

seat unit looks awesome gaz he has done a good job!
you have gotta slow down man your making me look bad! Laughing
been working on that rear brake plate i see, looks shiny!! thumbs
how far do you think you are away from having it blasted and powdered then mate?
ive just got to sort out rear master cylinder mount on mine then it can go for powder (been putting it off) Embarassed
well done as always! applauseapplauseapplauseapplause

@pugeyed wrote:
seat unit looks awesome gaz he has done a good job!
you have gotta slow down man your making me look bad! Laughing
been working on that rear brake plate i see, looks shiny!! thumbs
how far do you think you are away from having it blasted and powdered then mate?
ive just got to sort out rear master cylinder mount on mine then it can go for powder (been putting it off) Embarassed
well done as always! applauseapplauseapplauseapplause

Cheers Mark, thought you'd like it mate, plenty of room in the seat unit hump to house the relay's and fuses as well. If I can wangle a couple of early finishes this week I will get the frame ready for blasting before the weekend. Just need to spend some time working out the rear brake mechanism first, just in case I need anything else welding on the frame or swingarm before blasting/ powder coat. I bought a universal brake cable a few weeks ago and need to convert the rear drum operation to cable rather than the original rigid steel rod, as the rod won't work with the new rear sets. forgot about it to be honest, not a problem though, my welder is 300 metres from the sand blasters workshop. Hopefully, weather permitting, I will crack on with preparing the tank and seat unit this weekend, hopefully get them both stripped, filled and etch primed before next week, getting enthusiastic again mate. I'm avoiding the engine at the moment though, mainly because I will have plenty of time when the winter hits to sort the engine out inside in the warm at my temporary bench. Keep you posted. By the way, the ride out was really good, shame you couldn't make it, maybe next time ? Gaz thumbsthumbs

yeah hopefully make the rideout next time , i work some odd hours.
same plan as me then , tackle the engine over the winter, would really love to get stuck in now, but will have to be patient.
good luck and keep the pics coming , no matter how small the update! thumbs

Good progress Gaz keep the pics coming thumbs i like the look of that seat unit thumbs

Awesome build you've got here!

Cheers mate, glad you like it. Welcome to the project build section. Just had a look at your build, keep it going mate, if you run out of funds or ideas just clean or polish something, keep moving and don't stop. like it. thumbsthumbs

Been busy all weekend, but yet again not a lot to show for it. Started off by cleaning the new seat unit up, removed all the old paint and rust and generally started the prep work but unfortunately spent a few good hours trying my best to remove a seized swing arm spindle. Anyway I had to make a decision and cut it out in the end and have now robbed the swing arm off the other bike. Then I got side tracked by the buffing wheels and spent quite a few hours stripping and buffing the top yoke and then set about removing the hubs from the old wheels and couldn't resist stripping and buffing the back one, just to see what it was like. Very pleased with the top yoke and rear hub. The frame is now completely ready for blasting and I will be dropping it off tomorrow. Here's a few picks of the weekends activities, I'm jumping around from job to job at the moment but I'm not worried about that as it all needs doing and I will not be building the bike until everything is refurbished or replaced.

Rear hub after a few hour polishing. Should look nice with new alloy rims and stainless spokes. Thinking about lacing them myself now. Not so much to save money but more to have a go at it, and any money saved would also be nice.

Top yoke after lots of polishing

Front caliper, started but not complete

Frame and swing arm, ready for blasting

Gaz. thumbsthumbs

looks awesome gaz! your frame will be done before mine me thinks.
did you measure the offset before you chopped them hubs out?
gotta buy new bearings and seals for em?
oh and more questions.... are you going to run the standard speedo drive?
and spill the beans on your new colour choice ! Laughing

@pugeyed wrote:
looks awesome gaz! your frame will be done before mine me thinks.
did you measure the offset before you chopped them hubs out?
gotta buy new bearings and seals for em?
oh and more questions.... are you going to run the standard speedo drive?
and spill the beans on your new colour choice ! Laughing

No I didn't measure the offset before removal but wouldn't have thought that it's not necessary as the offset will be the same when they are rebuilt as it is defined by the hub and spacers? or would you say different? I have a spare set of standard wheels if I do need to measure anything but the rim runs centred to the hub? let me know mate if I'm wrong. I did check with Central wheels before I cut them out and they said chop, but of course I hadn't considered relacing them myself at that time.

yeh new consumables all round, same as the bandit.

Standard speedo drive.

Colour, well the frame will be gloss black, I think and the rest, not sure, got loads of ideas but can't settle on anything.
thumbsthumbs

9 times out of 10 central wheel have the offset measurements anyway but at least you have a spare set of wheels if needed Wink
will look awesome with alloy (i take it polished?) rims and stainless spokes.
frame will look great in gloss black, same colour as im doing mine. banana

@pugeyed wrote:
9 times out of 10 central wheel have the offset measurements anyway but at least you have a spare set of wheels if needed Wink
will look awesome with alloy (i take it polished?) rims and stainless spokes.
frame will look great in gloss black, same colour as im doing mine. banana

Yeh alloy rims/ polished, to be honest thats why I considered lacing the wheels myself, so that I could polish the rims and each spoke before lacing. Think I'll have to keep this one in my office at all times to keep the alloy good. Were looking for new premises at the moment, hopefully with some storage/ workshop space. My business partner has a 59 Bug and wants some space as well so we are trying to get somewhwere to work from and play in at weekends and evenings. I'll never go home if we can pull it off. thumbsthumbs

Just collected my frame. Still not committed to a colour scheme yet, so I will be etch priming it this weekend along with the tank and seat unit, then spraying it myself once I can decide on the colours. I had intended getting it powder coated but I have all the spray equipment here and some paint products left over from the bandit project so I may as well use what I can. That doesn't mean its graphite and black Mark (Pugeyed)but you will be the first to know the colour scheme mate.

Gaz thumbsthumbs

wow progress ! looking nice gaz, get some paint on her quick!
dont blame ya for painting it.
powder is nice but just gets expensive when your doing the whole frame. thumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
wow progress ! looking nice gaz, get some paint on her quick!
dont blame ya for painting it.
powder is nice but just gets expensive when your doing the whole frame. thumbs

Your right mate, need every penny for the wheels and suspension, no cheap way of doing it nice. When you planning on doing your frame?, you got it all modified now or is there more to do? thumbsthumbs

still putting off ahem i mean Embarassed "thinking about" the rear master cylinder/rear brake.
would like to get it done in the next month or so.

@pugeyed wrote:
still putting off ahem i mean Embarassed "thinking about" the rear master cylinder/rear brake.
would like to get it done in the next month or so.

You having those Yam race colours on that mug or you thinking of something else now?

no have decided on those colours but frame will be gloss black, polished forks, black yokes, only thing that will be white is seat hump , tank and front mudguard.
you gotta give us more info on your colours, dont leave us hangin! thumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
no have decided on those colours but frame will be gloss black, polished forks, black yokes, only thing that will be white is seat hump , tank and front mudguard.
you gotta give us more info on your colours, dont leave us hangin! thumbs

To be honest I have been thinking all silver frame, swingarm, tank, seat and loads of polished alloy and stainless nuts/ bolts and as little chrome as I have to have with just a simple old school double pin strip decal on the tank and seat unit in maybe black and red, original tank badges refurbished and back on with the addition of some honda wings above each tank badge, really simple and clean. I'll have a different colour scheme tomorrow though. Gaz thumbsthumbs

Here's my original idea but with so many choices it was inevitable I would change my mind.

@fr499y wrote:
there was another one with a featherbed frame, 4 - 1 undertail exhaust in bare metal finish.. cant remember if it was on CF or OSS though.

*Edit*

Found it.. GS550 though, looks nice, might be able to steal some idea's from this aswell Wink

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=25628.0

Yeh that's sweet as well, although I have a preference for that CB 750, love the old spoked wheels with modern tyres, looks cool. It's difficult on a budget though, sacrifices will need to be made. thumbsthumbs

OK, the weather is supposed to be good this weekend, the frame is blasted and I now have paint for both the frame (gloss black/ base coat and lacquer)and today I bought a bright metalic silver for the tank, seat unit and mudguard, if I use one. There's no stopping me now, apart from I just need to find a grand for the wheels and suspension. scratchscratchscratch

jaysus thats some money matey!
well if it makes you feel any better i was stitched up with my exhaust, rotten as a pear.
Sad

@pugeyed wrote:
jaysus thats some money matey!
well if it makes you feel any better i was stitched up with my exhaust, rotten as a pear.
Sad

Not good Mark, can you do anything about it mate? Regarding my bike, to be honest, It's cheaper than playing golf and I could get my money back if I sold it, which I might add, I won't be doing. thumbsthumbs

yeah dont worry ill get me money back, just a pain you dont need the hassle.
big update on mine coming soon.