Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pugeyed

Yamaha XS900 Triple Cafe Racer Build......."SHAFTY"

I would be reluctant to scrape the carbon from the piston crowns.but would may fit new rings and glaze bust the bores.

too late for the pistons, stuck them in the ultrasonic tank, came up brand new, wouldn't go at them with a scraper as would mark the crowns.
thats the plan for the rest though. thumbs

well after a lot of homework and phone calls looks like its has the henry abe big bore kit fitted in the past, doesnt look like it was done that long ago either.
judging by the state of the bore etc.

had to change the name to xs900 now lol thumbs

did you get in touch with the previous owner mark? good news though partythumbs

yeah sorry speller been working stoopid hours, more to come soon i promise.

yeah i did dick, the last two actually and it was the chap who sold it to the bloke i bought it from that did the engine ,if that makes any sense, he is really interested to see the finished bike. thumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
yeah sorry speller been working stoopid hours, more to come soon i promise.

yeah i did dick, the last two actually and it was the chap who sold it to the bloke i bought it from that did the engine ,if that makes any sense, he is really interested to see the finished bike. thumbs

makes sense mark lol and i think he'll be well impressed when he sees it thumbs ,the guy who bought my old bandit got in touch with me and i sold him all the spare parts i had for it,saved putting them on ebay thumbs

hope so there is a chap in the states that still makes them so am going to contact him.

thumbs

Cool that makes it interesting I wonder if the carbs needed jetting?and why go to the trouble of upping it to 900cc.alot of expence time and trouble.are the valve the standerd size?

@pugeyed wrote:
well after a lot of homework and phone calls looks like its has the henry abe big bore kit fitted in the past, doesnt look like it was done that long ago either.
judging by the state of the bore etc.

had to change the name to xs900 now lol thumbs

Told ya it looked like the abe kit Wink

no idea if the carbs needed jetting ive only cleaned them, and as for the valves again yet to take the head apart so no news so far
cheers matt! thumbs

well not much of an update but an update it is!

took the wheels and swingarm and sidestand to the powdercoaters yesterday said he will have them done by friday so will pick them up then!

took the bottom end to work the other day and took the rotor off with a bloody big bolt!

now i can finally start to strip the bottom end . have next week off work so hopefully i can crack on and get it stripped.

new outer valve springs turned up today from the states took 3 and a half weeks !

ordered some new seals for the crankcase and a new clutch basket bearing, should be here this week.

oh and a new inner tube (again Sad ) for the front wheel.

just ordered a rear master cylinder so i can finally sort out the mount for it, then the frame can go for blasting and powder.

thats all for now folks........

coming together nicely mark,like the priority mail on the parcel!!! Smilethumbs

came by boat and road no wonder it took nearly a month, dont have a lot of patience Embarassed

@pugeyed wrote:
came by boat and road no wonder it took nearly a month, dont have a lot of patience Embarassed

Shocked lol least you can crack on now thumbs

well as promised update time,

got the wheels back from powder today, have done an excellent job on them glad i got them done.
they are in black satin

also swingarm and side stand
in gloss black.

can now put front wheel bearings in (again) and mount the tyre and brake disks then can put it in the forks.

still need to buy a new rear tyre but its getting there....

plan on getting some straight wheel stripe tape to put down the spoke fins make them stand out a bit more.

am off work this week so will be stripping the bottom end and taking engine to blasters so it can be well blasted thumbs

That grit will get in the poors of the alloy if your not careful turning the oil in to valve grinding paste.

dont worry engine will be completly assembled, (all be it nothing inside it) then blocked off all the bits i dont want blasting, then i can completly strip it all down and wash all the cases out etc, then i can send the head away for a quick skim and pressure test etc. thumbs

@pugeyed wrote:
dont worry engine will be completly assembled, (all be in nothing inside it) then blocked off all the bits i dont want blasting, then i can completly strip it all down and wash all the cases out etc, then i can send the head away for a quick skim and pressure test etc. thumbs

All about the planning!

so been busy with work lately havent had much time to work on the bike.

nearly got the bottom end stripped down ready for blasting, cant seem to seperate the cases for some reason,

new starter clutch rebuild kit turned up today .

new cam chain tensioner turned up from usa

finally got air in my front tyre. was being a right pain, just need to balance it then i can slot it in the front end and work out mudguard clearance.

thats all for now folks, trying to keep up the momentum. Wink

@pugeyed wrote:
so been busy with work lately havent had much time to work on the bike.

nearly got the bottom end stripped down ready for blasting, cant seem to seperate the cases for some reason,

new starter clutch rebuild kit turned up today .

new cam chain tensioner turned up from usa

finally got air in my front tyre. was being a right pain, just need to balance it then i can slot it in the front end and work out mudguard clearance.

thats all for now folks, trying to keep up the momentum. Wink

have you took the 2 bolts out in side the oil filter . and one bolts is also in side the case on the under side / from what i can recall . i will try to find pictures if i can

got the one inside the cases but no dont know anything bout the other 2 Sad

@pugeyed wrote:
got the one inside the cases but no dont know anything bout the other 2 Sad
its a long time ago but take the oil fiter out and on the 850 might need to take the cooler plate of and im sure you will find 2 bolts to take out . best of luck can find any pic but its 23 bolts to get the case apart . from what i have just read

nice one mark,reference blasting the engine have you seen what vapour blasting does looks well nice and its clean thumbsthumbs

yeah ive had some stuff vapour blasted and the finish is great but its quite expensive and i havent found anywhere local or cheap enough to get it done.

well madsod you were right, x2 bolts underneth the oil filter/cooler take off.
came apart well easy then, took the crank out and gearbox for inspection.
put the engine back together with nothing in it for blasting.

Glad to help my old brain is not to bad , that was 1985 i done my engine , thumbs

its got 3 oil rings on it so should hope it doesnt leak.
old one was past its best being 30 + years old.

nice one mark,should get that engine looking like new after a good blasting thumbsthumbs

cheers matey!

so i dropped the engine off the be blasted today, should be ready on friday.

anyone got any good recommendations for the paint i should use on it??

ideally i would like it a satin or satin wrinkle finish but am open to suggestions, either way its gotta be black and not gloss lol.

thumbs

cheers folks ill have a look at the links....

only thing i did today was rebuild my starter clutch. drilled out the back of the bolts that had been centre punched to stop them coming out and replaced all internal rollers springs and pushrods with my new kit, then put it all back together with 12.9 bolts loctite and centre punched the back again.

satisfying when it all goes well.

well figured i would take a look at the main and conrod bearings while the crank is out, not good news.....

main bearings are not too bad some scratches and light pit marks but conrod bearings are knackered.

so once i get the engine back from the blasters 2morrow i can get the engine numbers and work out what size i need.

What the crank look like will it need grinding?
I have a XS750 crank with rods and bearings some where and top end.
Dunno if the stroke was the same as the 750?

havn't measured it yet gaz but looks pretty good from what i can tell.

old shells are meant to have a colour on the sides of them to determine how thick they are but cant find any on these.

good to know you still have some spares! thumbs

i think the stroke is the same as i took my 750 out to 850 with stock yam . pistons thumbs