Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pugeyed

Yamaha XS900 Triple Cafe Racer Build......."SHAFTY"

cheers folks, dont know if im keeping the clocks yet but cant find anything else i like.

finally parts from the US turned up so put the middle drive back together today, new seals all round and 1 new bearing. thumbs

nice work how long before it gets on the road then Very Happy

cant wait to see this one done,reckon it will look as good as the last one thumbsthumbs

its getting there slowly, i honestly dont think it will be done this year, i could if i cut corners but thats not me lol.

looking great m8,i agree no shortcuts it's done when it's done.

dont cut corners mark you'll only regret it,it'll be worth it in the long run thumbs

got the head back today from the machine shop.
quick skim and a wash, just got to grind the valves in
and reasemble with new valve springs and seals etc

gotta buy some paint too at some point.

what colour you going for,i just got some granville satin black for my xj900 thumbs

takes me right back to when i done mine , right back in 1986 , .

so finished grinding the valves in , polished the faces of the exhaust valves and the lips of the inlet ones.

Some good progress. Looks like it's coming along well thumbsthumbs

As has already been said, no corner cutting. When it's done it's done. thumbsthumbs Looing forward to the finished article LaughingLaughing

@pugeyed wrote:
so finished grinding the valves in , polished the faces of the exhaust valves and the lips of the inlet ones.

is that the yamaha logo on the valves Shocked

yeah it is matt, thought they would have had different valves being as it had the different pistons fitted but hey ho as long as it runs well im not too bothered. thumbs

ok so anyone know which bikes have radial master cylinders as standard?
thumbs

so the bore of the original master clinder is 11/16th
and it just so happens that a cbr1000rr radial master cylinder is the same bore. thumbs

crappy phone pic below, just need a clutch perch and lever, annoying thing is the same year bike used a hydraulic clutch rather than a cable operated.

got it at a bargain price of £50! partyparty

getting there mark Very Happy could you do a clutch conversion? thumbs

could do dick, i know a few people who have done one but im a bit old school and like big cables that go "clunk" rather than witch craft lol! Laughing

so this week i rebuilt the starter motor with new brushes and end bearing (no pics sorry)

ordered some gasket cement to put the crankcase halves together and started painting engine cases and rocker covers, really happy with the way the paint turned out,
trick is to paint it then get the heat gun on it straight away then it goes all crinkley. Laughing

well been busy painting the engine, and it looks great, pics to follow, can nearly put it together soon just waiting for some more bits and bobs

checked and cleaned the coils,replaced the leads and ht caps and covered the wiring connectors in liquid electrical tape.

Not long now and we will hear the great sound only a triple can make , thumbsthumbs

so bottom end is together, new conrod bearings , new main bearings, new gearbox bearings where i can, have ordered new steel clutch plates and ebc springs, already have new friction plates.

still loads of stuff left to buy, (have made a list , which is depressing in itself)

new rear wheel cover came today from germany after i melted the last one (ooops).

more soon ( i hope)
thumbs