Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sorachan

I'll go to study in UK this July. I need more details to help me decide which university I should go. :)

I think there are a lot of people who live in UK in this forum. I do need suggestion from all of you.

I have applied for a postgraduate program, stem cell technology, in University of Bristol and University of Nottingham. And, I just got an offer from both universities.

Would you please give me more details about Bristol and Nottingham? What do you think about these two universities? Which one is the better?

I had lived in USA for 3 months. But, I've never been to UK before and have no relative there. I'm so curious about everything in UK. Now, I have to decide within this week whether I should go to Bristol or Nottingham.

They are both very different ...Bristol is in the south west of UK and Nottingham in the east midlands. It depends what you are looking for really. I personally think nottingham would be the cheaper option for accomodation etc if you are short of funds ...but that is only my opinion and could be wrong. But Bristol is, I think closer to London and the major airports ...as I said, depends a lot on what your priorities are. I can't comment on the individual universities apart from saying they both have a very good reputation as far as I am aware.

Hi and congratulations.

I used to live near Bristol and my children (25 and almost 22) both went to school on the outskirts of the city - despite now living in London and in the south east, they'd both move back to Bristol in a heartbeat, they loved it.

Bristol University is very difficult to get in to and is extremely highly regarded (in the top 10 of UK universities overall, apparently) I might be out of touch, but think it has a fantastic reputation for medicine, history and law? It's a very cosmpolitan city, a massive student vibe and is also one of the major cities in the UK. It's close to both the coast and to the countryside and for transport has very good major transport links (motorways M5 north/south and M4 east. or train directly to London) The city is not far to the airport either.

You'll also find a lot of history to the city, parts of which have some fabulous architecture. There's a River, which is always fantastic in a city environment, good restaurants for all prices, and it's a good venue for live bands, theatre and comedy.

Looking quickly on the net, it sounds like Nottingham is highly regarded in your field (research/medicine) too, but I'm afraid I don't really know much about that. You'd have to be fairly sure of which University has the better facilities for your studies.

And, I'm not sure if you'd get student halls of residence or not, but if cost of living isn't a major concern, personally, I wouldn't even think about it, I'd go for Bristol.
I absolutely love where we live now (south east of England) but if I had to move back to the Bristol area, I'd be fine with that too. I wouldn't be tempted to move to Nottingham from where we live (sorry if that offends anyone) unless it was for some kind of massive offer that was too good to turn down.

That's purely my own personal feelings though - and an idea from my grown children, who don't really know Nottingham any way.

Wow, congratulations. I can't offer any information, but I think it's fantastic. I love natural sciences though. The best to you in making this difficult decision.

Thanks a lot kasijab, Zoonie, and Tiddly Winks. That's very kind of you.

I've decided to go to university of Bristol. I hope I'd have a great time there.