Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eris Constance

Please Close, Thank You! :)

Hi... I have a problem with my current job. My superior wants me to work on a project for practically free, and I simply don't know what to do. See, I'm a researcher and we get paid per page on projects. The project being forced on me has only a few paid pages, but I know that given all of the instructions and requirements for the project, it would amount to more pages. If I do this project, I will be doing work practically for free, since the technicalities of the project would result in more than a few pages. More like triple the paid number of pages. It is not possible to do a coherent research with just a few pages. Sad

I feel so helpless, because despite the fact that I know I am being treated unfairly (not to mention forcing the project on me--when in fact, we are given the right in the company to turn down a project), I feel helpless because my superior can get very unreasonable. My superior has always been unhelpful and I find it hard to believe that my superior will be understanding now.

Sad I'm sorry you have such an unreasonable superior, but I can't offer any advice. If I was in your situation, I would just do what my superior told me. Is there anyone in the upper ranks you can complain to? Do you think your superior is singling you out for some reason to bully you? If that's the case then you should complain. But if he's treating you the same as everyone else, then you probably can't do anything. Hopefully things will get better for you. Hang in there. Smile

That's a rough place to be.

All I can suggest is to talk to the superior, carefully explaining that to accept this project means that you will be putting in time that won't be compensated for. And to accept projects like these, devalues you.

You might say that you will accept this project as is, and maybe give your superior a reason like 'because you're in a bind' or 'because I know it's important to you that this gets done' but then also put some boundaries on it so that you have some protection from being put in this spot again. Like 'I will do this project, because I know you're in a bind and it needs to get done, but in the future, I'd prefer not to do this type of project, because the compensation for it is not fair.'

It may be hard to approach your supervisor this way, and it may not get the results you want, and you might also have to consider the risks involved... can you afford to take on less work if he stops offering you projects?

From what you say it doesn't seem like you have any choice really, but your Supervisor refusing to be reasonable doesn't mean you shouldn't make your case out to them (it will need to be tactful so that they don't note you as being awkward on your employee record)

Can we look at this a slightly different way and figure how much time it will take for the extra work required? and - how much you'd have earned on some other project during that time?
Perhaps you could agree to do it and at the same time ask for some other work which will compensate you quickly, so that it balances out in the long run?
Ask for this, and stress that it would be a fair way to share the workload, you can add that you have certain financial committments that you have to be able to meet and see if that makes your Supervisor feel a bit guilty.

Good Luck!

Guest Guest
MaMaShiShi wrote:
...'I will do this project, because I know you're in a bind and it needs to get done, but in the future, I'd prefer not to do this type of project, because the compensation for it is not fair.'

I'm really sorry that you are in this situation at work. It's always A fine line between keeping our boss happy and making sure we are respected as employees. If I was in a situation like that I would use approach above. Do the project, make yourself look like a great employee and set expectations for the future.

Guys, thank you so much for your advice! I'm working on being respected as an employee. So far, so good: let's hope it works.