Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReallyCookin

Recap of GMA and The Record Release... & pics.

This will be long... good luck making it through.

OMG... best experience of my life! I'm not usually for recaps, but my God, this just calls for it.

So, my weekend starts with arriving at Jen's Sunday evening for a nap before heading out to GMA. We had tickets already, so we didn't have to stress too much about geting there too early. Still, we wanted a good spot, so we rolled up at about 4:15 or so. We had some extra tix, so we scouted out some other word nerds to share them with so they wouldn't get stuck in the standby line. When they finally let us in, we walked right up the the side stage and got rope spots. I went towards the back of the stage so I could see David AND Kyle well Smile We were allowed to take pics as long as the tv cameras weren't rolling, so I was able to get some decent shots. He's even making a face in one... what a dork. Dave came out quite a few minutes before he had to sing, and spent some time mingling with fans when he could. After watching the two bumpers be filmed, he was kind of standing facing our direction, so I made it known that I wanted a pic with him by yelling over to him to get his attention. I said that when the show was over, he needed to come get a pic with me, and he said, "if they let me"... oh, no... "Come on Dave, this is my tenth try!!!" He gave me a little smile... Then "Light On." After the show wrapped, David went over to the other side briefly, and I was kinda bummed, thinking maybe he forgot me. I yelled up to Kyle to ask for a drumstick, which he gave me. Then I asked Andy for a pick and got that too...lol. At least if Dave forgets me, I have souveniers. But, he came back. We took two pics together, but only my goofy one turned out. The other one was uber cute and smiley, but it's really blurry Very Sad I love my goofy one though... totally unique! He then made his rounds and talked to most of the people in the room. I also got my pic with Kyle and Neal. Jen had the band boys pose for pics with flat Dave which was hilarious!!! At this point I was Totally stoked that I finally had my pic, and I was like... yeah, best day ever.

So, after that, we had breakfast and eventually, Jen and I took another short nap in her apartment before eventually heading back into the city for the Virgin campout. We were walking from the subway when Jen got a text saying we had just missed the band. We were all... OMG... WTF... they were hanging out??? So as we roll up at 12:45 to buy a cd before the store closed at 1, we saw Neal... and then the rest of the guys. They were still chilling with everyone. Awesome, awesome guys. I said a quick Hello to Kyle, who asked me if I was keeping the drumstick safe...so cute... then we went in and bought cd's. We came back out and got Joey to get his pic with flat Dave, since he was the only band member not to at GMA. I got my pic with him too. He is seriously nice. I also got a pic with Andy... and it's super cute... but Kyle ran up and stuck his head in all crazy behind my shoulder... so funny. Then they walked off... across the street... with their arms around each other. I love them.

Then we froze.

Rickey rolled up at about 5am and was right around the corner of the building, so I went over to say hi, and discovered that it seemed warmer and less windy there, so I hung with him for about 2 hours. He's so fun. I wandered back over to the group and a little while later, Dave donuts show up... dear God, could the man get any more perfect???? I mean, really. One of the people passing them out said, "David wanted to make sure everyone had breakfast." OMG. I love him. I felt a little icky and I was freezing, so I didn't really want a donut... but really, who is going to turn down a Dave donut? So I had a chocolate glazed. It was the freshest donut ever. Thanks Dave. Finally, it was time to go in and get our cd's!!! Ironic moment of the day... the wristband was the same wristband I had in my purse from the gala...LMAO... a little glue, and I wouldn't have had to stand there all night, but I would have missed the boys, so it was worth it.

We headed back to Corine's hotel for a nap and brought the boy we met in line with us, so he didn't have to wander the city alone. We all caught a lame nap. I think I may have slept an hour. Then I showered and we headed out to the Hard Rock to get in line to get in. Everyone in our little group agreed that a few more hours in the cold was worth it to get up front. Security let us into the building a little early to warm up, but we weren't allowed into the venue at that point, so we stood, perched on the steps for a while. When they opened the doors, we booked to the front. I ended up right between David and Neal, right behind a couple little kids who were right against the stage. Score! There was a videographer to my left who's job it was to shoot Neal, so I switched spots with him and got a little closer to David. Score again.

We stood around some more... waiting for the show to start. I swear, all I do is wait around for David Cook. Finally, he took the stage with Heroes... GAH!!! So close. I snapped a bazillion pics. He looked at me quite a few times... love him. And at one point waved at me. Now, I don't have the best eye sight, and I would feel like an idiot for waving to him if he was waving to the person next to me, so I stood there. Well, when I didn't wave back, he waved again...lol. So I gave him a little pinky wave with my camera hand... lol... I'm such a dork. At some point he told us that the album was #2 overall, #1 on rock...and we cheered. Bar-ba-sol almost killed me... you all can understand that. And then during "Little Lies" he like... picked up the micstand and moved it over just enough that he was standing directly in front of me. OMG... so cool. He was like... right there. After the song, Timmy moved it back to center stage...lol. So of course, he closed the show with Light On... and the post show concert high was on... and we still had a signing to look forward to. Since they loaded us up from the back first, and we were up by the stage, we were pretty late in the line.

While we were waiting, Kyle came out and started signing and taking pics. I went over for a quick hello and a hug, since I am convinced at this point that he's my new BFF. LOL. He acted like he really was, gave me a big hug, asked me about the stick again...so cute. Then I rejoined my party in the cluster-fuck... I mean autograph line.

Eventually, we made it up there... and we kept getting closer and closer to David. Jen got the itunes #1 text while we waited. I went right after "boy". His name was Jim, but I enjoyed calling him "boy" since he was like, the token dude in the group. I wanted him to go before me, because he was super nervous and excited and I had to see it. LOL. I was also a little nervous because I wanted to show David my Optimistic to a Fault tattoo for the first time, plus ask him to write a thank you note to my boss. I felt like I had a lot going on in my head. When it was my turn, I asked the guy handing David the cd covers if I could get two and I started to explain how my boss had given me all this time off and it was a thank you gift...etc.. and the dude was all.. "he can sign more than one" I was surprised because these things are usually very quick.

Now... I am delirious at this point. I'm on about 4 hours of sleep since Saturday night... but... I also send David quite a few myspace messages using my first name... and I swear, what I heard come out of his mouth when I walked up to him was , " Hi, Daina, how are you?" It caught me off guard and I wondered if I just heard it in my head somewhere, but it would have been totally embarassing to make him repeat it, so I played it cool and just said, "I'm good, how are you?" LOL... The next thing I did was show him my tat, which was upside down the way I was trying to show him, so after he tried to turn his head to see it, my dumb ass flipped it for him. And he said, real loud "I love it!!!" and something to the effect of "so many people are getting some cool tattoos!" At that point I launched into the story of how everyday I have had off since July was given to me by my boss in order to go see him. And how everytime I ask for a day off, she just says, "where is he now"... so he wrote on her CD "To Denise, Thanks for giving the break" then signed it. He's so cute. (BTW... she is an impartial listener, thought Archie was going to win and listens to country music and texted me today... "The CD... it's GREAT!!!") Then I got a big hug and moved over to the side to wait for Jen and Corinne. Jen gave the flat Dave book and David thought it was hilarious, and even said he'd hold onto it for blackmail photos of the band...lol. Jen probably has more deets, I kinda missed it because the girls, Chel and them, were trying to tell me to go back and tell Dave about the #1 on itunes thing. So I went over and watched him flip through the book, and when he was done, I got his attention. I said, "David, you're number one on itunes overall" to which he looked at me stunned and said... "what". So I repeated it and added, "we got a text". Jen showed him the text and he lost it. He put both hands over his face and wept. I said, "David, are you crying?" He shook his head no...LIE... and sat there a while, hands over his face. When he pulled them away, his face was soaked with tears, and he said, "one of these days I'm not going to cry." He thanked us for telling him and said to the people around him, "I'm SO sorry to have to do this, but I need five minutes." I think he thanked us one more time, then went over to the side to hug his mom, and tell her. I was already in tears by now. I went out into the lobby area and Chel grabbed me and we cried hardcore. That was by far the coolest thing I can ever say I did. Me and Jen were the ones to tell David Freaking Cook that his album sat at number one. I feel like it was just a special moment to share. It's still surreal to me. To watch him get that emotional just gave me warm fuzzies that may never go away.

After a quick stop to gather stuff from Corinne's room and some subway for a late dinner... we headed back to Jen's and I went home... got 4 hours of sleep and went to work.

It was TMTH for sure.

All my pics are here... flat dave made his way into a few! The few at the end from GMA were taken by Jen.

http://davidcookpictures.snapfish.com/snapfish
code word: wordnerds
I think you have to have a snapfish account. It's free to sign up Smile

OMG! He cried over that?! How awsome is this guy? I just want to give him a huge hug. I'm glad you had a great time!!! And i would have started crying if i saw him doing it!! lol. Awww LoveCrying

Daina, it was so nice to meet you and hang out with you. You are a lot of fun. I especially enjoy your voicemails giving David updates on our conditions. Your pictures are amazing. I had so much fun with everyone. What a night that was. I will never forget it. And seeing him play his own music live, well, I'm not sure I can find the words to express how I feel about that.

You know, its funny I did not cry that night. But when I woke up on Wednesday and thought about the concert and him being #1 and all I wept for him. Obviously tears of joy. But it is weird. Sort of like a delayed reaction.

Guest Guest
Beautiful pics!

Nice pictures one of my favorites is kyle with flat dave. It is so precious that dave was crying and was trying to hide it and went and cried in his mom's arms.I think it's great one of his fans got to tell him the great news about his album. I've mentioned this before on here that i'm not a huge crier but if i'd seen him crying i would of been crying too.

Guest Guest
OMG, Daina, what a great story. Thank you for sharing that with us. You must be so overwhelmed with emotion -- I am, and I wasn't even there!

Daina, that is so amazing you got to be the one to tell him! I wish I'd stayed now to see and share his reaction with you. My feet were just killing me too much. Very Sad

I. am. SUPER JEALOUS. But still incredibly thrilled for you. Great recap, Daina!
(One of these days I'm going to make it up to NYC so I can meet all you crazy New York people Wink )

Guest Guest
Daina, that's awesome! I'm so glad that the news about his being number 1 overall on itunes was delivered by Word Nerds! That's just too perfect!

Beautiful pictures, and you are so lucky! I'm jealous... but it's happy for you jealous.

Guest Guest
That was a great recap Daina!! I love your pictures! I am so glad you finally got your Dave picture too!!

Daina,beautiful recap...My eyes are teary now...after reading how he cried... Awww Love It's really a big thing for him.I'm so proud & happy.

Daina, thank you for sharing your photos, amazing as always Heart and thank you for sharing your great story aswell!! Awww Love

Ya know... I had to find some internet cafe b/c my PC kinda sucks, and now here I am, in public, though separated by cubicles, crying hardcore too!! I'm such a mess Very Happy

Great recap, Daina! Y'all New Yorker Word Nerds are awesome!! Cpngrats for the best day ever! love plode

Thanks for posting.... love plode

You made me cry too !
The moment you lived telling him about the #1 at Itunes.... sharing his emotion...his tears... is something to never forget !!!
Lucky Girl Daina !!!!

Daina, even though I knew most of the details..I still loved reading your story! I'm so glad you guys had such a wonderful time, and I'm SO glad you finally got your pic with Dave!! Very Happy

Daina!!!

I was hoping you would do a recap!! How. Freaking. Amazing. I think the best part was you telling him about being #1. Reading his reaction just made me cry. again. Thanks LOL. Congrats on being so awesome and representing us!!

O M G Daina, that was an awesome recap...and the pictures... Thud_old

You all always have the best stories to share!! And I love reading them!!

So glad that you all had a wonderful experience!!!!

Daina! What a great story! See, there was a reason that it took you so many tries to have face time with him!

Congratulations on such a great day! What a great boss you have!

That's waaay cool!! He really interacts and give personalized autographs!
It's so sweet of him to give out donuts!! Awww Love

The way he reacted on that breaking news tells us that he's still humble.. Smile
I'm glad!!!! SmileSmile

Thanks for sharing this with us, Daina! Smile

Daina, you made me cry at work, bitch! j/k. Reading your story may have set it off but really Dave made me cry remembering everything awesome about Monday morning through Tuesday night. I think I'm going to cry until December. JBD.

That's so awesome that he totally knows who you are now! I can't pretend I'm not jealous, though - I've met the man 6 times now and he still has no idea I even exist. One of those times I gave him the über-famous Signal & Sentiments book and another I had a 4-ft magic rainbow unicorn, but apparently I'm just not memorable to him, lol. Maybe if I meet him another 6 times... Actually, him recognizing so many people he's met only once, and not some of us he's met a number of times is pretty amusing. Even funnier is that every Dave event I go to, one of the coolest things to me is that Word Nerds I've never met before totally recognize me and come up to say "hi" - I love meeting cool WNs in RL! But being one of the most recognizable (because the damn TV cameras keep catching me) Word Nerd, and never being recognized by the Original Word Nerd who recognizes almost everyone else he's met - you don't get much more perfect irony than that! It's damn-near poetic! I've decided: I'm going to try to set a world record for number of times meeting someone and never being recognized. Laughing 6 and counting...

But anyway, back on-topic - that is proof he must love all your messages you send and record for him, which is beyond awesome. You know - maybe he would have sent us those cupcakes you asked him for Tuesday morning but he couldn't find any at that hour is why he sent donuts!

And thanks for the great pictures, as always! Blow Kisses

So is everyone else having delayed tears, or is it just me? I'm serious. this is the first chance to go online and actually try to catch up since I got back, and I can't stop crying.

May I also say that sharing this week with so many of my Word Nerd sisters meant the world to me. I loved meeting each and everyone of you.

Good lord RC, there's some writing inspiration for you in all those fantastic pics, and GREAT pants he's wearing, very 'inspiring' WooHoo!!

weLL worth signing in to see them all - all 100,000 of em, (seems like that many, DC smorgasbord).

What I wish I could have seen a pic of is his expression when he was told at the signing that his album was No. 1 on iTunes - I wish there was a pic of him with tears of elation. Or is there? hmm

scratch

Guest Guest

Here is a picture I found on livejournal-you can see Daina all the way to the left!