David Cook / Andy Skib / Neal Tiemann

"Paint another picture black and blue
Take another moment, one or two, just to get over you
When did all the gold around us rust
Turning all the love we had to dust, it took the best of you
It took the best of you

Oh, I've got nowhere to hide
And say my goodbye to the girl.
I'm leaning on the edge, of jumping off the ledge.

Take another picture off the wall
Just another moment watch it fall into the ocean blue
Take a look at where we used to be.
Now I'm just a vessel lost at sea I can't get over you
I don't know what to do.

I'm leaning on the edge, of jumping off the ledge.
And watching the night do what the light never could
So tell me I'm crazy, it's not gonna save me
From holding my breath 'til the lines blur
'Cause I've got nowhere to hide
Oh, goodbye to the girl.

Paint another picture black and blue
Take another moment, one or two

I'm leaning on the edge of jumping off the ledge
And watching the night do what the light never could
So tell me I'm crazy, it's not gonna save me
From holding my breath 'til the lines blur

'Cause I've, I've nowhere to hide
And say my goodbye to the girl
and goodbye to the world
Oh, goodbye to the world"

Guest Guest
ShockedCryingAwww Love

THAT.IS.ALL... for now...

Have another picture black and blue
Just to get over you

woooh! this is very difficult !
I love this song! Very Happy (and all the rest) is beautiful EmbarassedAwww Love

Guest Guest
This is what I make of it.

"Paint another picture black and blue
Just to get over you

Turning all the love we had to dust
It took the best of you
It took the best of you

Say my goodbye to the girl.
Leaning on the edge,
Jumping off the ledge.

Take another picture of the one
Just another moment
Watch it fall into the ocean blue

Take a look at where we used to be.
Now I'm just a vessel lost at sea
I can't get over you
I don't know what to do.

I'm leaning on the edge,
Jumping off the ledge.

Watching a night ... where light never comes (?)
So tell me I'm crazy
It's not gonna save me
From holding my breath
Til the light break us up / Til the lines blur 'cause (?)

I've got nowhere to hide
Oh, goodbye to the girl.

Paint another picture black and blue
I'm leaning on the edge,
Jumping off the ledge.
Watching a night ... where light never comes (?)
So tell me I'm crazy
It's not gonna save me
From holding my breath
Til the light break us up / Til the lines blur 'cause (?)

I've got nowhere to hide
And goodbye to the world
Oh, goodbye to the world"

Guest Guest
Made, I hear...

Till the light break us up (?) as Til the lines blur 'cause

Guest Guest
Could be, Jeannie. I'll add that as an alternative. That's the hardest part to decipher!

Guest Guest
Yeah, that's the hardest to get for sure. It could also be a combination of what we both heard... "Til the light blurs cause".

I do hope Ed was right, and we get a lyrics sheet with the CD this time.

Guest Guest

Hope so too, Jeannie. Though deciphering them is so much fun Wink

Guest Guest
Oh it is... I like deciphering them too. I think it's a bit easier this time around, and I'm going to credit Matt Serletic's production for that. David's voice is so front and center on this album, not buried by that "wall of guitars" that seemed to overwhelm DCTR.

Guest Guest
Agree, Jeannie. In this case, the album doesn't seem "over-produced" by "brilliantly-produced". Once you start really digging deep into each song, listening to every instrument, backing vocals, David's vocal nuances, every single detail has been taken care of. In surely makes up for the year and half they've been working on it!

Guest Guest
WOW just WOW, not much else to say right now.

Think David, Neal or Andy had NO IDEA what they just created. I NEED, MUST to tell them this in person.

I just KNEW I'd love this song. And I do. I just didn't realize I'd love it in a rip-my-heart-out kind of way. Crying non-stop

Guest Guest
I had this feeling in my heart that a DNA collaboration would be incredible. I'm glad my gut feeling was on target.

Guest Guest
Only difference I hear is in this verse:

Take another picture OFF THE WALL
Just another moment

Guest Guest
Yeay, thanks Tricia!

For some reason, the lyric "When did all the gold around us rust" makes me think of Robert Frost and the poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay"...

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

The poem's primary theme is about the temporal nature of life; that nothing stays good for long, whether that be plants, youth...or in this case, relationships. Wink The gold connectivity caught my eye and I've been pondering on that since...it also connects into the overarching theme of the album that there's a "cycle" to relationships in our lives, romantic or otherwise.

(Wow, I'm probably overdoing this. But I wanted to be an English major, so that explains a lot I'm sure. Laughing)

Guest Guest

Loved your interpretation, Cari! You could well be an English major!

I'm absolutely head over heals about this song! I just knew that a DNA collab would be fabulous but I hadn't expected such awesomeness Heart

The poetry of this lyrics interpreted by David's soaring vocals... it almost hurts...

Turning all the love we had to dust
Now I'm just a vessel lost at sea
And goodbye to the world

*drifts away Music Makes me HAPPY *

Guest Guest
I am falling more and more in love with this song each time I hear it!

hm. contender for favorite song! originally, i was like... "eh." but after many a listen, sobs. such mush. Wink

I also thought "meh" at the first listen (oops, sorry DNA), but I can't escape the depth and darkness of the song, the almost suicidal theme (I don't recommend listening to this when you're depressed, lol).

When I read the "when did all the gold around us rust turning all the love we had to dust" lines, I couldn't help but thinking of MWK. It has similar vibe, which I love. It also has layers and subtlety to it, even though it clearly says something about getting over someone.

Guest Guest

Many, many layers as David, Neal and Andy have Awww Love

dinna, great minds think alike! i wouldn't go as far as you, with the suicidal theme, but i love the song.

i'm not sure i'll ever be able to listen to just one song in a jumble of others. i feel like this whole album needs to be listened to in one go.

two days later and i still can't form coherent thoughts. *sigh*

I skipped 4 Letter Word a few times out of more than 10 spins (I can't count anymore), but not anymore. I have to listen to it all as a whole entity.

Oh this song. Awww Love Another one of my favorites. I kind of knew I'd love it before I even heard it. Beautiful emotion and tone in his voice. Love the piano & guitar solo. It just all works perfectly. Need more Dave/Neal/Andy collaborations in the future. Heart

Oh this song. Awww Love Another one of my favorites. I kind of knew I'd love it before I even heard it. Beautiful emotion and tone in his voice. Love the piano & guitar solo. It just all works perfectly. Need more Dave/Neal/Andy collaborations in the future. Heart

Yes, yes, yes; all this. Heart

Guest Guest
I can't stop listening to this song. I swear I find something new to love about it every time I hear it. Have I mentioned yet that I love the production of this album? Amazing instrumentation that still somehow manages to allow the pure tone of his voice to always be the main focus.

yep. i think i've found a favorite(r) song! the acoustic version makes me cry. i wasn't expecting that! i love it. and i agree with those of you who said it makes your heart hurt. mine too.

Was exceptionally lucky to see this live last night at Best Buy. Acoustic. All I have to say is...

Crying non-stop

How does he keep doing this to me. This songs kills me. KILLS me. Last night at Best Buy I couldn't help myself - tears were streaming down my face. These guys are amazing.

Guest dawtreecookie

I'm still in the very beginnings of my album listenings, but I love this song. Heart
I love, love the lyrics. I usually complain about him putting out songs all the time about heartbreak, but this one is so much more true and honest and poignant and poetic to me than the other "heartbreak" ones. I can feel the sharp pain in the song, almost literally. It's like all the intensity and emotions of an MWK song, but stripped down a bit lyrically to a more simplistic, raw, "Dave" form. The brutal honesty of saying that you almost feel suicidal when you're without "the girl" is quite brave I think and it pays off for me in the um, emotional payoff. This concludes my rambly review. Beauty. Please David let's toss aside the other songwriters and just stick with you three. Great

Also, this should be a fucking single. The end.

Haven't heard This Quiet Night yet.... Until I can figure out how to get a physical copy, is there mp3s uploaded anywhere, pretty please?

Guest Guest
Sarah, you can listen to "This Quiet Night" right here on our forum's homepage. Don't know if there are mp3 of it though.

The brutal honesty of saying that you almost feel suicidal when you're without "the girl" is quite brave I think and it pays off for me in the um, emotional payoff.

I totally agree (shocker). Heart Maybe we love the emotional honesty in this one as we do in The Truth. "Now I'm just a vessel lost at sea" is like the "your absence is devastating", in the way that he's admitting how broken/lost he is without her.

I'm going to send you the acoustic version. It's pretty perfect. To me, it sounds like his voice is almost on the verge of breaking down. Beautiful. Now I'm all sappy. Crying

Guest dawtreecookie

Thanks, I just got the mp3s Smile

Acoustic Goodbye.. = Shocked

I think the reason that the "heartbreak" theme doesn't bother me in this one is that at its core, it doesn't seem to really be about a girl. Seems more about facing the absolute end of your rope, that emotional state of mind, for whichever reason that got you there. Someone told me that he said in an interview that the song is about being at rock bottom, and they just personified it as a woman for the purposes of writing the song. I wonder though how the song would have sounded lyrically if they'd just left the "girl" part out and written about being at rock bottom, with all the wonderful metaphors and imagery, that writing style that I'm obsessed with. But then I guess that's more MWK style, and Dave likes to write more concretely. I'm rambling....
This is the brave, ballsy David that I'm missing. There's such a disconnect for me between the quality of this song and some of the other songs that are kind of generic and missing that brutal honesty.
Just my early album thoughts..

Guest Guest
I totally agree, Sarah. It's that rock bottom point that happens in life, and it doesn't have to be about a girl. And yes, David did say they personified it as a woman, but that really wasn't what it was about. But like you, I instinctively got that.

Guest dawtreecookie

I've got nowhere to hide
Say my goodbye to the girl
And goodbye to the world

I mean, holy fuck. That's simple lyrically but something about it packs such a punch. It's just emotionally bare Shocked The lyrics, oh my gooood. And the song, and his voice. Can't stop listening to it at the moment.

Maybe we love the emotional honesty in this one as we do in The Truth. "Now I'm just a vessel lost at sea" is like the "your absence is devastating", in the way that he's admitting how broken/lost he is without her.

Yeah I can see the connection there. *melts*

I think the reason that the "heartbreak" theme doesn't bother me in this one is that at its core, it doesn't seem to really be about a girl. Seems more about facing the absolute end of your rope, that emotional state of mind, for whichever reason that got you there. .

I hadn't really thought about it in those terms (without the girl aspect). Now it's like a whole new song. Heart Must hear it live! And cry and be ridiculous.

dorothyparker asked me in another thread if GTTG is my new Anodyne. And I think she's right. And then I realized they are both Dave/Neal/Andy songs! So, boys, PLEASE write more together! Everything you write together is perfectly sublime! Please!

I, too, felt from the start that "the girl" wasn't really a girl. Does anyone have a link to or quote of the interview where he talked about it? I'd love to see/hear it. Did he use any words for what "the girl" symbolizes?

One pair of lines that intrigues me (well, they all do, but this is on my mind at the moment) is "When did all the gold around us rust / Turning all the love we had to dust, it took the best of you"
Because everyone knows gold doesn't rust - iron does. So to me it's kinda like reverse alchemy which is a weird thought. Or did it only look like gold but wasn't really? And the visual imagery of gold flaking off as rust and blowing away as dust, leaving "her" with no glow...

IDK, still trying to wrap my brain around so much, still so many unformed thoughts...

ETA: Jenny, at least you can hide to cry - I was crying in the middle of a couple hundred people at Best Buy Tuesday! I had "nowhere to hide." Crying

Guest Guest
Stacy, the interview Larry Flick did with David (IMO, the best one I've ever seen), has many clarifying bits and pieces. You can read and listen to it HERE. There another interview where he specifically talks about the writing of GTTG. I'll try to find it.

For me, acoustic GTTG = haunting, beautiful, heart wrenching. I have to dose myself as to when and how often I listen to this, 'cause it kind of tears my heart apart. In some sense, I can relate this feeling to what I feel when I listen to Permanent. It's like peeking into somebody else's soul. KWIM?

I did feel that disconnection between the girl theme and what the song really meant and reading what David said, just confirms that feeling. I think that they didn't use "goodbye to the world" throughout the song 'cause David didn't want to make a "downer" album.

Guest Guest
Stacy, it's in this interview at around the 9 minute mark. I know you can't listen at work, so I transcribed what he said:

Quote :
Goodbye to the Girl is a song I wrote with my guitar players, Neal and Andy. I think it segues nicely into the last track, Rapid Eye Movement, and I think on surface value when I was writing it I wanted to write about that moment where you’ve… like mentally you’ve hit bottom. But of course you know I don’t necessarily want to write like, you know about suicide, and so I just wrote those down moments in life where you feel like you’ve hit bottom , but then there’s still that glimmer of hope. And I tried to personify it , I guess as a woman. And that’s kind of where Goodbye to the Girl came from.

I also loved his description of the song in the written portion of that interview, because I know exactly what he's talking about, and feel the same way:

Quote :
11. "Goodbye to The Girl"

"I love the haunting aspect of the song. When we got done tracking that song, it stayed with me. It's like when you go to a smoky bar and you leave and your shirt smells like cigarette smoke, I felt like that song was the cigarette smoke on my shirt."

Here's the whole written interview, if anyone is interested:

David talks track by track

Guest Guest
LOL flag Jeannie! You beat me 'cause I was coming back to post that video! Great minds... High Five!

Maybe you can find another one, where he says something like that at the last moment he added the "goodbye to the world" line. Can't figure out where it is scratch

Guest Guest
High Five! Made! I'll look, but I don't remember that one specifically. I know that Andy told someone at the THH show that either David or Neal changed that line at the end to world, and he thought it was perfect. He couldn't remember which one changed it.

Looking at his description "so I just wrote those down moments in life where you feel like you’ve hit bottom , but then there’s still that glimmer of hope." I'm not sure I see the hope here. Unless it's that he's still leaning on the edge of jumping off the ledge, but hasn't jumped yet, so he's still holding on to that hope.

Or maybe, thinking about it more, the "goodbye to the world" is the hope. The point where you've decided that you need to let go of what has been holding you back and move forward. Maybe that's when you jump off the ledge, not to end your life, but to end that part of your life so you can move on to the next.

Guest dawtreecookie
Made wrote:
I did feel that disconnection between the girl theme and what the song really meant and reading what David said, just confirms that feeling. I think that they didn't use "goodbye to the world" throughout the song 'cause David didn't want to make a "downer" album.

Yeah it wouldn't really fit on his album otherwise. It's also more commercial I guess to make it about a girl. We'll leave the other side of that song for Neal to tackle, ha.
But it works, regardless, as a song about a girl, and I love it that way. You can understand the idea behind the song, and it captures perfectly that down emotion that everyone feels at some point.
Anyway, I heart it. Smile But I need to stop listening/talking about it so I don't wear it out. Razz