I’m hanging by a thread
With all the words you never said

I’m going under
So tell me what to do
I’ve got nothing to hold onto
Let me fall for you

(Let me fall like a stone on the water)
Let me fall for you
(Let me fall like a plane out of the sky)
Let me fall for you
(Let me crash let me burn my heart out)
Let me fall for you
(Let me learn to fly)

It’s almost over
I’m hanging by a thread
I’m going under
So tell me what to do
I’ve got nothing to hold on to

Let me fall for you
Let me fall for you
Let me fall for you
I’ve got nothing to hold onto
(Let me learn to fly)
Let me fall for you

(Let me learn to fly)

Guest Guest
Umm interesting??

I think I like this song somewhat. How cool is that ending though? The lyrics and the way he's kind of almost speaking as opposed to singing. He's never finished a song like that before, which is kind of cool and refreshing. Smile

Let me fall like a stone on the water
Let me fall like a plane out of the sky
Let me crash, let me burn my heart out
Let me learn to fly

Still not mad over the lyrics of the whole song in general, like I still feel left a bit cold by the new way he writes. For example, "I’m hanging by a thread" is a cliche. I like how he would used to write something like "I'm dangling on a thin tight line, a line of stress across worried skin, a line we've walked but never crossed, a line of regression" .. lol.. I just pulled that out of my ass. But the lyrics used to be much more interesting before. I still see glimpses of it when he writes alone or with his bandies. I don't know. Sigh.

ITA with you Sarah. I wish he would go back to more interesting lyrics. Maybe some day he can ditch those co-writers.

Its funny because he wrote with a lot of great people on this album... but yea, I see what you mean by the lyrics not being as interesting.

I Awww Love these lyrics....

"Let me fall like a stone on the water
Let me learn to fly"....

Guest Guest
Sarah, I understand what you are saying. His lyrics from years ago are more complex and esoteric. Sometimes I wonder if this is just part of his growth/progression. or if it's him along with his label dumbing things down for the general music listening public.

I think I like this song somewhat. How cool is that ending though? The lyrics and the way he's kind of almost speaking as opposed to singing. He's never finished a song like that before, which is kind of cool and refreshing. Smile

Let me learn to fly

Still not mad over the lyrics of the whole song in general, like I still feel left a bit cold by the new way he writes. For example, "I’m hanging by a thread" is a cliche. I like how he would used to write something like "I'm dangling on a thin tight line, a line of stress across worried skin, a line we've walked but never crossed, a line of regression" .. lol.. I just pulled that out of my ass. But the lyrics used to be much more interesting before. I still see glimpses of it when he writes alone or with his bandies. I don't know. Sigh.

Holy shit, Sarah. I thought those lyrics were actually from a song of his. Maybe you could co-write with him on his next CD, LOL.

About song as a whole...I like it and totally agree that the ending is unique and is the best part of the song.

I really like this song and I agree the ending is the best part of the song.

Has anyone else noticed the little arrow in the lyrics booklet under the name of the song that basically point to the person who holds it, which mean us, the fans?

It made me think that maybe in a way this song is for the fans. Especially this part:

"All the time, all the time
You were the one that got me through
Like a sign, like a sign
You were the voice that knew the truth"

Like he's thanking us for all the love and support we gave him all this time. I don't know maybe I'm way off here but that the vide I get from this song.

Guest Guest

The two bonus songs were the only ones I didn't want to listen to until I had the cd in my hands. And I'm "falling" for this one, utterly!

Don't know if that was David's intention, Anat, but anyway it's a beautiful concept Heart

I bet David would say "it's open to any interpretation". Lol.
He said he didn't blatantly write songs about his fans on this album but every experience he has had for the past three years is on the album and it includes Adam, the fans, the tewer stories... Awww Love

Let me learn to fly

I feel like his old style of writing had way more depth and wasn't as...I don't know the proper word to describe it, but cliche? as the new style?

Guest Guest

Although one of the main things that attracts me of David as a singer/songwriter, are his lyrics, most of the time it's his voice, nuances, phrasing that really captures me. I can definitely give him a pass for inserting one or two cliches in his songs, lol.

BTW, Sarah, you could start writing for him as well! Great lyrics there! Great

Well he's used 'line of regression' before, lol, but I was just trying to mimick how he used to write his phrases, talking all metaphorically and avoiding overused cliche phrases. Making you think about typical overused phrases in a different way by the new original way he writes them. I miss that David. Very Sad JMO

i miss him too -- i'm shocked at the difference in lyrics between AH, DCTR and TLM. i read (i think in this thread) that it was likely done to bring in more fans. i love decoding songs and searching for the meaning behind lyrics (i also LOVE doing that with poetry) but most people want their music "up front" and don't want to have to think too hard.

i think it's one of the reasons why so many artists are doing so well these days (selena gomez, beyonce, eminem, etc...): they don't use metaphors, similes, etc... they just say what they want to say.

the way david wrote before is a BIG reason that attracted me to him: it's deep, but not obvious and you have to be willing to listen and listen and really pay attention. most of the music now is so brainless.

and now i'm finished with my ranting. lol

Just something about this song at the end of it those last few lines the way he sings it it almost sounds grungy to me but i just love it for some reason.

Yeah me too Smile I actually really like the rockiness of the chorus as well, music-wise.

@gen_m wrote:
i miss him too -- i'm shocked at the difference in lyrics between AH, DCTR and TLM. i read (i think in this thread) that it was likely done to bring in more fans. i love decoding songs and searching for the meaning behind lyrics (i also LOVE doing that with poetry) but most people want their music "up front" and don't want to have to think too hard.

i think it's one of the reasons why so many artists are doing so well these days (selena gomez, beyonce, eminem, etc...): they don't use metaphors, similes, etc... they just say what they want to say.

the way david wrote before is a BIG reason that attracted me to him: it's deep, but not obvious and you have to be willing to listen and listen and really pay attention. most of the music now is so brainless.

and now i'm finished with my ranting. lol

Yep I agree with all that ^. I think music audiences now have such short attention spans, and such busy hectic lives that the majority of them don't have TIME to bother with really indepth songs with complicated meanings, you know? It makes me sad that it's become that way. They just have their 10 minute drive to work or whatever where they can listen to a couple songs and the news, and that's it. Life is just in such a hurry these days and people are working so much that there's no time anymore to really slow down and enjoy something special. It's just like fast food - and now there's fast music.

And that's my overanalyzing thoughts for the day. Great

Guest Guest
Lol, Sarah! What you say is absolutely true, unfortunately.

Yeah, I agree this thought too. We're always chasing something abstract and we don't know that this really is. And the time for us and our passions is always forgotten and that's totally wrong...
Fortunately music is my biggest passion and I always try to take a space for it in my day! Smile

and just like the fast food, the fast music isn't very good for you. it lacks nutritional value and usually makes people fat.

LOL, Bieber will make you obese. Don't listen! (I'm not sure how Bieber became the scapegoat for all crappy fast music in the world, but there ya go. He's like McDonalds. Poor kid.)

I'm on the Analog Heart diet. Razz Which involves a balanced intake from all major music groups.

I've just fallen in love by this song....

These lines.... Awww Love

"It’s almost over
I’m hanging by a thread
I’m going under
So tell me what to do
I’ve got nothing to hold on to..."

and the way they recorded the Chorus with the background lyrics... love plode

But the lyrics used to be much more interesting before. I still see glimpses of it when he writes alone or with his bandies. I don't know. Sigh.

Agreed. There's a lot I would like to say on that topic, but I don't think this is the right thread. Plus I'm very tired, haha.

I love this song Heart ! I listen to this alot. The song and the lyrics are just beautiful.

Guest Guest
Jen, I'll say it... I'm not sure if it was in this thread or another lyrics thread, but I mentioned that possibly the label, David or a combo of the two felt his usual esoteric/complex lyrics should be dumbed down for the general listening audience. I often wonder about that while listening to his post Idol music. His pre idol writing was very angst filled, gut wrenching and deep. Going by what is popular these days(shake your booty on the floor in da club) I'm guessing that David or his management believe songs with deeper meaning won't sell or get radio play.

I've come to the conclusion that David is a niche artist. There is a relatively small but very loyal group of people who crave and love music with meaning. Songs sung by a guy with a voice that can actually make you feel. Part of the problem might be that not all of those feelings are happy or good. His music at least for me, drags some very angry and sad feelings out of the depths of my heart. In my mind that's cathartic and healthy. But I wonder if the majority of music buying/listening people just want songs that make them feel good or want to get up and dance.

Guest Guest
I wanted to add that I'm not trying to insult David's post Idol music. There are songs I love on both albums. His voice never fails to make me feel. I'm just trying to say how I perceive the differences in pre and post Idol music.

^ I think though that he can still write uplifting, positive music but do so in a lyrically interesting, unique way (example: A Daily Anthem), rather than filling songs with cliches that to me, don't seem like they would require much thought to compose, and don't pull out as much of an emotional response. I love a good voice and a good message behind a song, but to me, the lyrical content is equally important. And that's what made me so feel intrigued by David in the first place. Whether it's record companies or radio or David who's responsible for that change, I guess I'll just have to find it elsewhere these days Very Sad

PS. Is it one of these bonus songs that he wrote with Raine Maida? Is it this one?

No, none of the songs on this album were written with Raine.

Oh ok I thought I read that in some review somewhere. A mistake in a review, what a surprise! Razz

Sorry for being a downer in this thread, I'll just slink away now and let you guys enjoy the song. Wink

Aww, Sarah!! Hug Your opinion is very much appreciated!! And you have a very valid opinion. I have to agree that a lot of the lyrics on this album have a lot of cliché lines in them. I attribute it to co-writers and, as always, the label trying to make David more commercial. There are glimpses of the fantastic lyricist that is David Cook, but as Barb said, not everyone is into meaningful, relevant lyrics. A lot of my friends say they don't care about the lyrics, just the music. I love the deeper part of music, the emotional, passionate part, whether it be uplifting or sad. I have dismissed an awful lot of music throughout my life because the lyrics were so hokey it was more like an assault on my brain than a pleasurable experience.

Back to the song - I first heard this being played overhead in Best Buy on release day. I loved it from first listen. On the subway back to Stacy's, we read the lyrics, and I was like "Wow! What does this mean?" I can totally see how they could very well be about our relationship with David. It could also be about dealing with the aftermath of a failed relationship. David has a way of writing that is open to many interpretations.

Guest Guest

I'm falling in love (more) with this song hearing it done live. And LOVING Andy doing the little part at the end. Awww Love

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.