Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

11/05/11 - York, PA - Pullo Center Concert

David Cook rocks a full house in York

Quote :
David Cook’s latest album isn’t a smash hit with critics.

And it’s hardly bruised the Billboard charts so far.

The capacity crowd that turned out to watch David play the Pullo Center at Penn State York Saturday night could care less.

The fans who turned out for the Canaan Smith / Gavin DeGraw / David Cook show — and it was very much a David Cook crowd judging from pre-show interviews — love all things David.

And talk about dedicated fans.

Two years ago, Donna Chrzanowski of Elizabethtown, was first in line when tickets for a David Cook show at the Pullo Center went on sale. She was rewarded for her hour-wait with front-row tickets

This time when she heard about David’s show, she joined the Pullo Center just so she’d have a chance to buy tickets before they went on sale to the general public.

The result: Front-row tickets again, including a pair for best friends Madison Sharp, 12, and Julia Taylor, 13, of Dallastown, who said attending David Cook concert together has become a tradition for them.

Saturday’s was their fourth, and they were thrilled to have the same seats as they did at the last Pullo Center show.

After all, that night David asked their names from the stage during the middle of his show.

“We were very excited,” said Madison, in what you imagine is a bit of an understatement.

Both became David Cook fans when he was a contestant on American Idol. Madison said her favorite Idol performance was “Little Sparrow.”

Julia said she likes David’s music because she feels like it relates to her life. She said her favorites include “Declaration” and “The Last Goodbye.”

As for Donna, she says she didn’t watch Idol, at least not much pre-David. Once she saw David perform, she started watching “religiously.”

“He had me at ‘Hello,’” she joked, referring to one of his performances in the Idol semifinals back in Season seven.

By the end of Saturday’s show, he had nearly everyone at the Pullo Center swaying to his music and mouthing along with the lyrics. By that time, they’d been on their feet for more than an hour, since the moment David and his band took the stage.

And anyone who wants to complain that the ”This Loud Morning” album isn’t loud enough should have been on hand.

The rock started when David opened set with “Circadian” and didn’t miss a beat until he slowed things down — somewhat — with his seventh song of the evening, “Come Back to Me.”

The spot-on vocals that won his legions of fans on Idol were on display throughout, but never more so than when he stepped away from the mike and sang a couple lines of “Lie” a cappella, or when he took the stage alone during an encore to perform his latest sing, “Fade Into Me.”

He even threw in Whitesnake’s “Here I Go Again,” a special treat for the York audience for ‘filling the room tonight.” He said the band had played the song during soundchecks before, but never live.

Among the other best received songs of the night — “Light On” off his first post-Idol album, “The Last Goodbye,” and the rocker “Kiss on the Neck,” with a touch of “Hotel California” thrown in for good measure.

Now, back to the fans …

As for the lack of sales success of “This Loud Morning,” some fans think David might be paying the price for being a former Idol contestant. That he might not get the respect he deserves as a result.

“I definitely thinks that’s what it is,” said Belle Conners, 43, of Philadelphia, who traveled to York to watch her 12th David Cook show Saturday night.

“Anyone who has seen him live knows he puts on a hell of a show,” she added. “Radio just doesn’t seem to want to give him a chance.”

Melissa Burian, 41, of Washington, D.C., was attending her fifth David Cook show Saturday. She says David’s latest album is her favorite, though she also liked his pre-Idol CD, “Analogue Heart,” partly because it sounded “less produced.”

“When he won, I had mixed emotions,” she said of David’s season seven triumph. “I didn’t know what the stigma would be. He always seemed cooler than Idol.”

When it comes to dedicated fans, it’s doubtful anyone at Saturday’s show could top Sanna Kihlman, 22.

She’s from … get this … Finland, and had traveled to the U.S. to watch David’s shows in York, Cleveland and Cincinnati.

Oh, and that’s not all. She’s been to 29 David Cook shows, all in the U.S.

In her mind, “This Loud Morning” is an awesome album. Her favorite songs include “Goodbye to the Girl” and “Let Me Fall for You.”

But why travel all the way to the U.S.?

“Because he’s not coming to Finland,” Sanna said.

“I love his music. And I love watching him live.”

Set List
1. Circadian
2. Heroes
3. Mr. Sensitive
4. The Last Goodbye
5. Let Me Fall for You
6. Paper Heart
7. Come Back to Me
8. Kiss on the Neck / Hotel California
9. Hand That Feeds
10. Time Marches On
11. Lie
12. Here I Go Again (Whitesnake cover)
13. Barbasol
14. Light On
15. Fade Into Me
16. Rapid Eye Movement

Made wrote:
Lord save me!!! Thud

Via TisOlivia

MAYDAY.... SOMEBODY SAVE ...NOW

Thud!Thud!Thud!Thud!Thud!Thud!

Guest Guest

Very nice article. Thanks for posting, Chris. Seems you traveled 2,000 more miles than Sanna to go to your concert Great

Made wrote:
Very nice article. Thanks for posting, Chris. Seems you traveled 2,000 more miles than Sanna to go to your concert Great

But nobody interviewed me !! LOL flag
But the only one who really matters knows about my trip and really seemed to be moved with this (Dave - if it's possible - is even more awesome than I thought Awww Love - I will never forget his beautiful moved sparkling eyes when I told him about this).

Awww!! Sanna was there - I met her in line at Nokia. She's such a sweetie. She was at the Best Buy release, last time I saw her.

Thank you Barb, for the amazing ustream and detailed recap! And thanks to all you industrious WN's who ferreted out the beautiful pics and vids for us!!

Oh, and after watching/listening to the ustream - I know my ears are still ringing from Stacy's cream over the WS cover!! LOL Poor Barb must be hearing impaired now... LOL flag

That was a really nice article. Thank you Barb for the ustream. It was wonderful. Thank you everyone for your pics and vids too. I pretty much freaked out when he started playing WS. I wish I could have been there - especially for FITM.

OMG OMG OMG - I gave him the blue/pink bracelet for Men Against Breast Cancer (I'm a 5 yr survivor) and he said he'd wear it, but I couldn't spot it in any of the pics. I see it now!!! WOOOHOOOO!! What a fabulous show - even tho my seats were way back. VIP totally worth it.

Excited2

Jeannie wrote:
From livehead16:

Fuck me... what a gorgeous smile!

Still in post-show glow this morning despite a terrible headache. He was sooooooo fabulous last night. Trying to think if there is anything that hasn't been said yet.

Oh, one thing: I'm not particularly a fan of the denim shirt, but he had it unbuttoned pretty low and I lost count of how many times I saw his chests tats last night. It had my heart going pitter-patter! Also, while on his appearance, I just have to say how much I freaking LOVE his hair right now! He looks ah-mazing with those bangs the start out so nicely combed and then start flying as he starts rocking and sweating. Whoo-wee! And that leather jacket he was wearing for the M&G's is way hot on him. I was Drool more than usual last night for sure!

And he sounded great. Lie, I've heard that version live before but last nights gave me some SERIOUS goose-bumps, and not only the a-capella part - the whole thing! Though the a-capella part was perfect. And the crowd perfectly silent - I could've heard a pin drop. Just his perfect, perfect voice ringing through the theater.

Here I Go Again I already went on about lol. Sorry you all could hear my scream!!!!! I aimed right at the stage, 90 degrees from the camera-phone so I had no idea it would be picked up by it! EmbarassedEmbarassedEmbarassed When I finished mine (it was long as well as loud, lol. You can tell I used to be a brass player in a loud rock n roll band heh), the woman in front of me turned around and I thought she was going to yell at me for accidentally deafening her, but she gave me a High Five! ! It reminded me of the show at the Nokia on the Declaration Tewer when FoolsApril Lisa and I were seeing who screamed the loudest for his encore and she gave me the win on that lol. She was into the song as much as I was too.

FIM... oh. my. god. Hearing that live, the all-acoustic, all-Dave version... I melted. Absolutely melted (faded!) into the ground. Just the one guitar and his superlatively amazing voice, and those lyrics... Melt No words. Just melting.

It was nearly a perfect show. The only thing it was lacking was just one God-damned song without a guitar! When Jamie got TWO songs without one at one of her shows, I actually got my hopes up that I might get even one. Or even just the first half of Bar-ba-sol without one. Alas, he covered himself up with it the entire show. If only I knew some way to entice him to go sans guitar at the Irving Plaza show, I would.

Hmmmm, no idea if David still reads the forums or just twitter, or if he'd read this thread of the zillion threads we have on here, but if he does, David, if you play one song without the guitar at Irving Plaza, I promise I'll flash my boobs at you. How about that for a deal? Oh that reminds me, I think someone boob-flashed Gavin during his set. I swear one of his banters was, "thank you to the girl over there who opened her shirt for me. They were gorgeous" or something like that. It was said kinda dead-panned so I'm not sure I heard him right but that's what it sounded like lol. Anyway, that's what gave me the idea. So Dave, if you read this, I DARE you to sing a song sans guitar at Irving Plaza. I'll be on the balcony. And I will do it! They ain't big but they're cute and gravity-defying and they're sure as hell white enough to be seen. So there. Do it, Dave. Do it and I will. I'm not modest about partial nudity as Jeannie, Barb and Peggy can attest to, lol! Irving Plaza, Dave. Irving Plaza.

Hmmmm, no idea if David still reads the forums or just twitter, or if he'd read this thread of the zillion threads we have on here, but if he does, David, if you play one song without the guitar at Irving Plaza, I promise I'll flash my boobs at you. How about that for a deal? Oh that reminds me, I think someone boob-flashed Gavin during his set. I swear one of his banters was, "thank you to the girl over there who opened her shirt for me. They were gorgeous" or something like that. It was said kinda dead-panned so I'm not sure I heard him right but that's what it sounded like lol. Anyway, that's what gave me the idea. So Dave, if you read this, I DARE you to sing a song sans guitar at Irving Plaza. I'll be on the balcony. And I will do it! They ain't big but they're cute and gravity-defying and they're sure as hell white enough to be seen. So there. Do it, Dave. Do it and I will. I'm not modest about partial nudity as Jeannie, Barb and Peggy can attest to, lol! Irving Plaza, Dave. Irving Plaza.

OMG Stacy !!! Holy Sheep!LOL flagI'm Not Worthy!Twisted Evil
This Irving Plaza show will be epic - I'm sure... if he accepts your "challenge".... LOL flag

Guest Guest
I know I already wrote a recap, but I had to come back and add...

The feeling of the show last night was incredible. The audience was loving him so much and he was loving us right back. When he asked to have the house lights turned up in the middle of FIM, I felt like he was telling us that YES I need you all and you need me. We are fading into each other. I admit it brought a tear to my eye. I have to say that all the fans were great last night. The Gavin fans were showing Dave love and the Dave fans were showing Gavin love. It made for a wonderful concert. Both guys were really on last night. They were charming, chatty and completely captivated the audience.

Oh and while in the line for the post show M&G Gavin was looking over at the people waiting. He sort of did a little double take and gave a smile to Stacy in her little red dress. It was so cute!

Barb, thanks so much for the Ustream. The audio was incredible. When he sang Lie and FIM I got teary. Your recap made me feel like I was there. So glad you had a good show. (Is there such a thing as a bad David Cook show?) He really seemed happy last night. The East Coast sure loves David Cook!

The pics coming from this show just seem extra beautiful for some reason.

OK, now gotta go back up the page to read everyone elses recaps. Smile

Sanna was a part of my group when I went to NYC for all the album release events in June. She's awesome. Smile

I believe Peg and i met her at the Nokia show in NYC too. She was in line with us. I remember being blown a way by the idea that she had traveled all the way from Finland just to see David. And now, how exciting that he will be touring Europe early next year? That is f'ng awesome. I think a International tour is going to be great for David. Mostly because the Idol stigma is not so prominent in other countries. They will be totally judging him on his own merit. Not on a fucking TV show.

OK, Peg. I just read your post about meeting her at Nokia, right after I posted about this. LOL

OK, so if Dave does a guitarless song (or partial one?) at the Irving Plaza show, we have to notice if he is checking out the balcony during it. lol

Stacy, you crack me up. Smile

Loved your recap.

Barb, you could feel the love going on between the audience and David, the give and take, through the ustream. You really could. I love this man so much. Not in a man/woman way. But in a fan/artist and human being to human being kind of way. kwim? His music just pierces my soul or something. There really was something special about this show.

lol, Viv. He always seems to check out the balconies anyway, so I wouldn't take it as meaning anything if he does. But it was all I could think of to try to entice him to drop the guitar for a song, lol. I really don't expect to have to hold up my end of the bargain. Other than the exception for Jamie, he seems determined to hide behind the guitar forever now. Rolling Eyes

The show was still one of the best I've been too even staying hidden behind the guitar. Even for the beginning of Bar-ba-sol when he usually at least flips it onto his back! Mad No, really, it was a fantastic, amazing show, every song.

Stacy, I still can't believe he did two (well, one and a half) guitarless songs at GP. But I had bugged the shit out of him at Houston & Austin about it- I pestered him enough that at the GP post-show, he knew who I was when I ran up to him screaming, "YOU DID A SONG WITHOUT THE GUITAR!!" LOL flag And if you want a huge laugh, go watch the Grand Prairie BBS video by vmrocks- you can hear me freaking out.

Last night's show sounds like it was fantastic though, despite the ever-present guitar. I love it when the whole room is that INTO him and he can feel it.

I might have to be standing in that balcony with you at Irving. Wink

Barb Thank you so much for the Beautiful USTREAM you did a Fantastic job. Loved the videos and Those pictures GreatGreat Im so happy that you all had a Blast Stacy i could hear you screaming it was good to hear you haveing such a great time.

Jan and everyone I'm glad my screams were taken that way and not just annoying. I had SUCH a great time I can't even say.

And Jamie, it really was one of those shows where the reciprocal love between the crowd and David was palpable. It was magical. When he asked for the house lights in the middle of FIM, it was like he was asking for a camera flash to burn the image of us all, of that moment, into his memory. It worked just like that in the other direction for me, too. That was always just a romantic love song to me until then. But it really does work to describe those magical moments in his shows sometimes when the connection between him and us transcends.

I think he realized it was one of those shows early in Heroes, that song being second only to ADAM in my mind in terms of audience participation being paramount. You could feel him feeling it from us and back again. And I love how shows where the audience really gives back to him inspires him to give us the ultimate reward: an extra song. And that the extra was the one we had been making such a buzz about was even more special. <3

Forgot to mention - Barb did indeed convince me to stay for the post-show m&g (I just didn't want the day to end!!!) and Gavin did seem to like my dress, lol. He signed my Sweeter Cd and I got to tell him that I really like Sweeter the title track on the CD. And David piped up that that was his favorite track on Gavin's CD too. Then I said to David, "oh, I've already met you" sorta meant to be apologetically for taking up his time again but he said "that's alright" (or something like that-I'm sure I never remember anything he says just right), and pulled me in for a tight hug. That was so sweet of him. Heart

So glad I was a part of this special night. Special for WN's who made the place full of flove. I know he knew it during Heroes when everyone sang back to him 'you're still standing.'

Epic night - Moving Out, Foghat and GTTG during soundcheck. Pic and video of the band saying hi to my kids, extra unplanned song in the set - fabulous night! Group Hug1

Guest Guest

Great recap, Stacy!

And Cathy, it was wonderful to see that David was using your Men Against Breast Cancer bracelet. He's a sweetie Heart

lol, Viv. He always seems to check out the balconies anyway, so I wouldn't take it as meaning anything if he does. But it was all I could think of to try to entice him to drop the guitar for a song, lol. I really don't expect to have to hold up my end of the bargain. Other than the exception for Jamie, he seems determined to hide behind the guitar forever now. Rolling Eyes

The show was still one of the best I've been too even staying hidden behind the guitar. Even for the beginning of Bar-ba-sol when he usually at least flips it onto his back! Mad No, really, it was a fantastic, amazing show, every song.

I don't know why, but I find the guitar hanging on his back while singing the beginning of BBS guitarless incredibly sexy. Very Happy

Guest Guest
I think what happened last night during FIM was exactly what he was trying to portray in the music video. This show may just be my new favorite. Before last night I would have answered "The Rowan show" without hesitation. Now York and Rowan are shows 1a and 1b lol.

justforme wrote:
I think what happened last night during FIM was exactly what he was trying to portray in the music video. This show may just be my new favorite. Before last night I would have answered "The Rowan show" without hesitation. Now York and Rowan are shows 1a and 1b lol.

I have a hard time saying any show was a favorite because so many were special for one reason or another. Newburgh was both my first Declaration Tour show and the show he gave us my one and only Anodyne performance. Northampton is on there for the Silver snippet and TWO bonus songs (ABMB & MITB); Pemberton for the best KOTN moan/microphone make-out ever; Best Buy was my only acoustic show ever and GTTG bringing me to tears, LOTS of them, not to mention the sweet smile and wave for me; the AC shows for the heart tattoo flash during Souvenir; Busch Gardens for the first new song (Paper Heart) in what felt like FOREVER and a great new song at that; Providence for the leather jacket/no guitar Mr. Sensitive & him being a good sport when I was so inexplicably weird after the show; Great Adventure for the first live Circadian; ... I could go on.

But I really do think this will always be one of my top favorites. He was really soaking up the love and giving it ALL back to us. I think he'll remember this one, too.

And the crowd, while it became clear it was a David crowd as soon as he hit the stage, the crowd was good to the opener, Caanan Smith, and to Gavin. If the show had just been them, I'd have said it was a pretty good crowd for them. But then there was David and we all just... faded into him.

... it really was one of those shows where the reciprocal love between the crowd and David was palpable. It was magical. When he asked for the house lights in the middle of FIM, it was like he was asking for a camera flash to burn the image of us all, of that moment, into his memory. It worked just like that in the other direction for me, too. That was always just a romantic love song to me until then. But it really does work to describe those magical moments in his shows sometimes when the connection between him and us transcends.

I could not have said this any better. This statement perfectly describes the feeling in that theatre last night. I'll post a few pics later, but for now, here's my Fade Into Me video. I don't usually take videos but I wanted to give my new iPhone 4s a try.

ShookByCook wrote:
Fade Into Me-posted by Drusilla89-thanks!

Ah! That totally made me cry watching it again!

Guest Guest
I'm a mess. I keep watching the FIM and Lie videos from last night, and the tears are falling.

justforme wrote:
I'm a mess. I keep watching the FIM and Lie videos from last night, and the tears are falling.

I"M glad I'm not the only one! I had to take the train home from my parents' house today and I freaking cried the whole ride. What is it about these shows that does that to me? Part of it I think is that I just get so emotional, and it just has to come out somehow and for me, tears are the way it does. Part of it is already missing you, Barb, and everyone I met up with there and even missing my friends from here I haven't seen for months or years and wishing you guys had been there but glad you at least sorta were there through the u-stream. Part of it so happy reminiscing over how much fun I had, part how sad I am it's over. Part of it probably still wishing I had said anything at ALL interesting to him, part glad I didn't put my foot in my mouth lol.

ETA: I really feel like I should write him a Sentiment while I'm still all emotional, but I'm too verklempt to make any sense I think!

Guest Guest

From bobsessive, partial KOTN. I love how he asks us if we are alive after the moan lol.

I'm pretty sure I was thinking HELL NO you killed me.

Stacy - your recap is amazing! And just to clarify - you have now moved from stripping for David to flashing him??? Shocked

I'm so glad that you all had such an epic show. I love audiences like that!!! I felt Foxwood was like that. It makes David give more, and the audience gives more, and David gives more, and the audience gives more... It's so special to be part of that!! So happy everyone who went got to experience that.

Thank you for the amazing recaps (and recap addendums - lol), pics and videos. And thanks again Barb for ustreaming this show for us!

Guest Guest
You're all very welcome for the stream. I plan on streaming the Keswick show in a month. OMG that seems so far away right now. Hopefully the service will be better in that venue so I can connect right away and not miss any songs.

lol, Peggy, I'm pretty sure I never gave David a strip-tease. Not saying I wouldn't, only that I haven't. Wink

Angie's photos are incredible. I can't even.....just wow.

Glad you guys had such an awesome time!

OMG OMG OMG - I gave him the blue/pink bracelet for Men Against Breast Cancer (I'm a 5 yr survivor) and he said he'd wear it, but I couldn't spot it in any of the pics. I see it now!!! WOOOHOOOO!! What a fabulous show - even tho my seats were way back. VIP totally worth it.

Excited2

I'm SO happy for you! It's an amazing feeling when he wears something you give him that has special meaning to you, or to the person you gave it to him from. And it's also amazing to have a great photo of it. You should print it 8x10 and try to get him to autograph it and hang it on your wall Smile

... it really was one of those shows where the reciprocal love between the crowd and David was palpable. It was magical. When he asked for the house lights in the middle of FIM, it was like he was asking for a camera flash to burn the image of us all, of that moment, into his memory. It worked just like that in the other direction for me, too. That was always just a romantic love song to me until then. But it really does work to describe those magical moments in his shows sometimes when the connection between him and us transcends.

I could not have said this any better. This statement perfectly describes the feeling in that theatre last night. I'll post a few pics later, but for now, here's my Fade Into Me video. I don't usually take videos but I wanted to give my new iPhone 4s a try.

Thanks, Lainey, and I look forward to your photos, too!

I don't think a full "Lie" video has been posted yet. Found this one by CookieNookie with a beautiful angle on him:

LOL Does anyone know if they ever figured out the puzzle?? You know that had to have drove him happy mad! LOL flag

Looks like I see the crazy legs chicken in that pic too! lmao

ETA: LOL Looks like Dave and the guys cheated!

@skihlman Sanna Kihlman
The boys looked up the solution to the puzzle online.Cheaters!

Wow.

Barb, Stacey, Lainey, everyone... you saw a breathtaking show! Thanks for sharing it all with the rest of us.

@Serenity wrote:
ETA: LOL Looks like Dave and the guys cheated!

@skihlman Sanna Kihlman
The boys looked up the solution to the puzzle online.Cheaters! [/color]

LOL! That's hilarious! Cheaters, indeed. No-no!LOL flag

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.