Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cjester27

"David Cook Is Mentoring The American Idol Top 8 This Week"

Guest Guest

That would be awesome and long overdue! I really, really hope this is true Very Happy

Guest Guest
I'd love to see him mentoring the current Idol contestants!

Guest Guest
He is. There have been pictures of him tweeted showing him with a couple of the contestants, and someone from the show tweeted a picture with him saying he was the "toughest mentor yet."

Just be aware that if the past holds true, we won't see a whole lot of him mentoring - just tiny snippets.

The big question is "Will he perform on the results show Thursday night?" No answer to that yet that I know of.

Guest Guest
That would be great! If he performed on Thursday, what song do you think he would do?

Is it just me or does everything going on with him seem hush hush lately? For example this upcoming appearance on Idol and the concert that is less than 2 hours away from that I JUST found out about last night.

Guest Guest
The concert has been on twitter for a little while. I have just been slammed at work, and haven't had time to update.

There is one coming up in July in Atlantic City as well, and of course the Ottawa, Illinois and Kokomo, Indiana ones in August.

I think this whole Idol thing was decided kind of last minute... not necessarily hush hush, but probably not known about for sure before this past weekend. (It wouldn't surprise me if the producers contacted him after they set the theme "The 80s" for this week. And I think they haven't planned the themes very far in advance. It's a good theme for Dave to be mentoring on.)

And while Dave probably couldn't say anything for sure before the producers announced it, he hinted with his tweet Sunday that he was flying to LA... then kind of let the cat out of the bag with the picture he tweeted of he and Sam at the piano. It has since been confirmed by one of the show's producers.

Guest Guest
OHHH July in AC? I've been so out of touch lately.

Guest Guest
Yeah, seems kind of a last minute thing. But as it's top 8, I think they'll have time to show plenty of footage of David's interaction with the contestants WOOHOO!

Guest Guest
If I head correctly, they said in the commercial that it's 80s week. That is perfect for him. Nobody does an 80s cover like David!

Guest Guest
justforme wrote:
OHHH July in AC? I've been so out of touch lately.

Yes, and on a Saturday night! Eve and I are thinking about going. It's the 17th or 19th... Whatever is a Satuday.

And yep, 80s theme this week. Perfect for him to mentor!

Guest Guest

Here's David intro pack for his Top 8 mentoring.

David Cook Mentors Idols - American Idol 13 por IdolxMuzic

Any of you watching the show, will agree with me that David's advice for each contestant was on point and almost the only redeemable thing in a disastrous show, mainly because some singers didn't follow that advice. Rolling Eyes

Such a breath of fresh air watching him on TV again  Awww Love

BTW, you can watch David mentoring each contestants MJ's Bigblog

Guest Guest
Thanks Made!

Guest Guest
Some great reviews out today...

From Idol Chatter - by Mark Franklin Article Here
Quote :

You know who should go? Randy Jackson.

You know who should stay? David Cook

I only grade performances on American Idol, but if I graded mentors, the Season 7 champ would get an A++.

Let’s just say his advice went a bit deeper than what Randy told one contestant earlier this year. How did that go? “Give it your all and do your best.”

Not that all of the Idols took advantage of his wisdom.

Jess Meuse still didn’t cut loose on stage the way she should, but at least David had her smiling.

And it was still difficult to make out some of what Dexter Roberts was singing, but I’d bet that guitar solo was more animated than it would have been without David’s prodding.

His presence likely also helped when Jena Irene and Alex Preston embarked on bold new arrangements of their songs. They were following a path David Cook blazed back in Season 7.

Bring David back, Idol. As often as possible. Your contestants will likely benefit.

EW by Joel Perlman

Quote :
With the save no longer in play, the top eight had to rock it out to their favorite '80s hits. Here's the thing: None of the finalists were actually alive during the decade, so they brought in a real expert, season 7 champ David Cook, to mentor the young contestants. Did I mention that Cook won the show in season 7, because in case you missed it the million and one times it was mentioned on air, he did win! I have to say, I was really digging David's look with his glasses and hair. Maybe it's because I personally sport a similar coif and spectacles, but I thought he looked good and gave good advice and perspective to the finalists, especially because, you know, he won in season 7, so he knows what it's like.

Idol Worship by Michele Angermiller

Quote :
The American Idol Top 8 got ready to party like it was 1985 and David Cook returned to mentor the fun on Wednesday night’s '80s-themed performance episode.

Cook, known for his own interpretations of Lionel Ritchie and Michael Jackson songs during his victorious turn on Season seven, was up to the task.

"The 80s to me, just represent incredible production, incredible music," the 31-year old Texas native said, as he dove into the job, dispensing excellent advice and generally upstaging in-house mentor Randy Jackson in all of his sessions with a zeal that just makes us want to put this out there to the producers--consider hiring Cook for either a judging or a permanent mentor job for Season 14. To quote perky contestant Malaya Watson, “The dude won,” and his presence was a definite bonus for this year’s bunch.

USA Tpdau by Brian Mansfield

Quote :
Not a one of the season's eight remaining American Idol finalists was born when the songs they sang Wednesday were hits.

But the Top Eight gamely plowed through hits by Journey, Tom Petty, Joan Jett and Chaka Khan on an '80s-themed night

Season 7 winner David Cook, who built his reputation on the show by reshaping '80s hits Hello and Billie Jean, returned to give this year's Idols some pointers.

"The '80s, to me, just represent incredible production, incredible music," Cook said. "That's why the songs stand up 30 years later."

Idolator by Lisa Timmons

Quote :
Season seven American Idol winner David Cook has returned to the show to mentor the kids this week. After his win, he’s enjoyed quite the makeover and, I have to say, I’m loving his hair a million times better than when he was rocking that strange elfin ‘do.

TVLine by Michael Slezak

Quote :
I don’t want to sound like a miserable old codger, breath reeking of Werther’s Originals and cantankerousness, shaking a freshly cut lilac branch at the neighbor kids and screaming “Get the heck off of my lawn!” But man oh man, tonight’s installment of American Idol put me in a bad mood. And this despite Season 7 champ David Cook pinch-hitting for “mentor” Randy Hackson — typo, and it stays! — and offering the kind of cogent, specific, pithy (not to be confused with pitchy) advice the Idoloonie Nation has been longing for all season.

And worst of all, we learned that Mr. Cook — insightful and music-loving as ever — didn’t get face time with the Season 13 Top 8 until Monday, long after the song-selection and -arrangement processes had been completed. (Side note: Had I realized how many times we’d see Randy shadowing David, without uttering a single word, I’d have suggested a drinking game. Then again, I got drunk off the sheer enjoyment of seeing The Dawg get back-burnered.)

Yahoo Music by Lyndsay Parker

Wednesday night on "American Idol" had the potential to be totally awesome. It was '80s Night.

Quote :
Not only was it '80s Night, but Season 7 winner David Cook — master of radical (literally radical, as well as in Valley-Girl-speak "radical") '80s remakes, the only contestant to ever cover Duran Duran on the show, and a dead ringer for Social Distortion's Mike Ness nowadays — was the guest mentor. (David was filling in for decidedly less rad regular mentor Randy Jackson. You'd think with all the bragging Randy has done about playing with Journey in the '80s, he would've stepped up to the plate this week.)

Previously TV by Sarah Bunting

Quote :
David Cook The S7 winner is this week's mentor, and he's excellent with the shorthand: he tells Jena not to "go in a circle" with "I Love Rock 'n' Roll"; he's right that Jessica doesn't seem that into or happy about singing Blondie; he advises Sam not to waste his time onstage (Sam's impatient "okay" face in response is so teenager) and wisely yoinks Alex's sheet music in rehearsal so he'll come out of himself a bit more. My favorite Cook moment: his suggesting to his "shirt buddy" Caleb that he needs to come at "Faithfully" with "a little more reverence." The past winners can't usually help the current contestants much -- in the end, it's America who chose them, not the judges and not their musical chops -- but he's an exception.

Broadway World by Matt Tamanini

Quote :
Just as it did last week, tonight's American Idol featured the Top-8 finalists. After an ill-advised use of the sole judge's save, Sam Woolf remained in the competition long enough to be mentored by former IDOL champ David Cook for this week's 80's theme. With the obvious negligence of "full-time" mentor Randy Jackson, it is staggering to see how much progress can be made with a mentor who is actively engaged in helping the finalists become better singers, performers, and artists.

Like with most weeks this season, the performances varied, but whether it was the songs, or David Cook's presence, there was a certain freshness to the show tonight that made me excited to see what the rest of the season brings.

Guest Guest
Wow great press for David!

Guest Guest

Thanks, Jeannie. Wonderful reviews for David  DC Cheerleader 

Thanks Jeannie! So love seeing David get such great reviews!  DC Cheerleader 

DEBRA

Guest Guest
Very nice interview with David from EW HERE

Some screencaps I made from the Video:

Guest Guest
Nice! Thanks, Chris!

Guest Guest
Great interview with Michael Slezak about mentoring (and the new album) HERE.

Guest Guest
I've always liked Slezak's blunt way of critiquing Idol, both the show and the contestants. Of course it doesn't hurt that he's always loved David.

Guest Guest
Such a great idol night for David & the contestants. It was fun to watch & also see the fans & the media reaction.

Thanks Jeannie for all the great write ups & links & Chris for the screencaps. I have to say this was my favorite tweet to David after the show from a fan.

Quote :
Jane Doe @magroupie
@thedavidcook Last week the judges saved Sam. This week you did. #bravo

Guest Guest
Nice tweet, and very true!

Lyndsey Parker had Jim Cantello on her Reality Rocks Yahoo vlog yesterday. Check it out... they discuss David and how great he did at about 14 minutes in...

Watch it here!

Thanks ladies for all the goodies that have been posted about David and mentoring on Idol.  Jump 

DEBRA

Guest Guest
Thank you for all the videos, photos and press!

Guest Guest

Thanks to Cooksongrl for compiling all of David's segments into one video! (12 minutes!)

Thanks everyone for all the links, interviews, video's etc. David rocked as a mentor, as we always knew he would. He was honest, sooooo smart and he seemed to really care about the contestants. I kind of had a hard time catching all the interviews, vids, etc., because of work. So having it all in one place was awesome. So thanks for that.

A couple of comments. I laughed out loud when David commented on Slezak's tweets, the night of the show. I saw them too and he was cranky, and they were funny.

And does anyone else melt every time Keith said "David". lol There's just something about the way he said Dave's name, kind of like when he says the word 'baby' I melt with that as well.

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I sincerely wish Dave would go on Idol and do a REAL rock song, like Kiss and Tell. Yeah, I know. I wanted him to do BBS too on the show, or see him do some Zeppelin. One of my fav performances he did on the show was the Stones. But yeah, I just wish he would just go on the show and do ROCK!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.