Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XS1100

Group riding the in's and outs

It's becoming more and more common for us to ride together in groups and each time there are questions about how to do it so I thought I'd post up some advice. hide
These are not intended to be rules but 'good practice'. applause
If we all follow this then group rides my be more fun and safer. affraid
What are you responsible for?
- You are responsible for your own ride, don't do anything that doesn't look safe to you.
- We are riding in a group not racing, so we'll all arrive at the same time.
- Look after each other
- Don't overtake the group Leader
- You will need to concentrate more than when riding on your own
- We work as a team
When riding in a group it's more important that you are prepared.
Things you really should bring with you on a group ride
- Full tank
- Empty Bladder
- A map
- Mobile Phone (and know the Tailender's phone number)
- Cash and cards
Things you should consider bringing with you
- Waterproofs
- Toolkit
- Drinking water
- Puncture repair kit (if you know how to use one)
- Breakdown cover
- First Aid Kit
What do the Leader and Tailender do?
A group will have a designated 'Leader' and a 'Tailender'. The positions of these two riders will not change throughout the run.
They will be introduced to all the riders in that group and usually will wear a day-glow jacket or similar so that you can see them easily.
Group Leader
The Group Leader is in charge of the ride and should brief the group before we start off.
They will
- explain where we are going
- say how we will mark the route (Follow-On or Drop-Off system)
- ask if there's any riders inexperienced at group riding (and if so, put them at the back or front of the group)
- say how many miles it is & check that everyone has enough petrol
- Count up how many are riding and announce it so we all know
- Say whether we are going to be wearing waterproofs or not
- Point out the Tailender
The Tailender will then
- Identify their bike so we can all recognise it
- Make sure everyone has the Tailender's mobile phone number
- Tell people where to form up into a group

How do we tell each other which way to go ?
Under the 'Follow-On' system of route marking the whole group retains contact, although it can be strung out.
So keep the following bike in sight, don't take a turning unless you know the bike behind can see you and they know which way to go.

If you lose contact with the bike behind then slow down and give them a chance to catch up.
If they don't catch up then pull over and stop somewhere safe (they may have stopped because they can't see the rider behind them).
Using this system if one rider has a problem then one by one the whole group comes to a halt.
Once the Leader has to stop (and after a while when it's obvious that someone has a problem) the Leader will turn around and come back down the group,
picking up riders as they go until they reach the rider with a problem.

You are responsible for the rider behind you, if they get lost it's your fault.

Under this system the rider at No 2 sets the pace, that's why you'll often hear a Leader ask the most inexperienced rider to ride right behind them
When the Leader makes a direction change at a junction or roundabout the new direction of travel should be marked by the rider directly behind the ride leader.
To do this, the Marker should pull in at the side of the road, in a safe place where he/she will be visible to the rest of the riders,
and point out the way to go to the following riders.

The Leader will point down to the road with their left hand to indicate to the second rider that they should stop and mark the route for the rest of the group.
The Marker will rejoin the group just ahead of the Tailender.

It is most important that the Marker stops in a position where it is safe to do so and the rest of the riders can see them clearly as they approach the junction.
They should not put themselves at any risk.

The Marker should stay there until the Tailender comes along then rejoin the group in front of the approaching Tailender.
The Tailender will always try to give sufficient space for this to happen but sometimes they will have another
vehicle right behind them so it's safer for the Marker to allow the Tailender to ride past, then catch up and overtake them,
thus re-establishing the correct running order.

The Drop Off System allows for the slower rider to go at his own pace and still remain part of the riding group.
If you are new to this system then start at the rear of the group so you can see what the others do before it is your turn to be a Marker.

We use different signals to communicate throughout the group.

Using Hand Signals

Slow
Right hand out to the side, waist high, flapping up and down
Pass me
Right hand out to the side, low down, palm forward, sweeping forward
Don't Pass me
Right hand out to the side, waist high, palm backward
Drop off
Left hand doing an enormous big pointing down to the ground
Follow me
Left hand taping on top of helmet
Turn around
Left hand in the air like spinning a plate
I need fuel or any other reason to stop
Left hand moving up and down pointing at tank

Using your lights

Indicators
Indicate early, soon as you see the Leader indicating.
This passes the message down the group and it also lets the Leader know that you have seen their signal and know to turn.

Brake Light
If you come up to a sharp bend you may want to just flash your brakelight a few times before you reach the bend to let the bikes behind know they should slow down.

Group Riding - Riding in Traffic
Riding in busy towns is where a group is most likely to get split up.

So, on the approach to a town, let the group come closer together. Start using the Follow-On system to look after each other,
even if you've been doing Drop-Off until now.

In traffic jams let other bikes (non-group bikes) pass through the group. Wave them through, it saves us getting confused.

When filtering make safety gaps for the bike(s) behind (filter then merge into the lane,
pull to the left tyre track to leave the right one available for the bike behind, once they have filtered in you can move out and carry on filtering)

Also, when filtering down a line of traffic don't get suckered into an overtake,
just because the bike in front got through doesn't mean there's a gap for you to filter in to. Don't move forward until you can see your gap.

Traffic lights can and will break the group up, don't worry about this, you won't get left behind so don't race through on red.
The bikes ahead will slow down or stop and we'll use lay-bys occasionally to gather the group back together.
Group Riding - At Junctions
When approaching a 'Stop' junction or a set of traffic lights on red we will aim to form up in two lines so that when the junction is clear we can move off in pairs,
this gets us through the junction quicker than than individual bikes one at a time.
- Allow the lead bike space to select their position, left-hand or right-hand tyre track.
- Draw alongside but ‘staggered’, not level with them, in the other tyre track.
Your front wheel level with the middle of their bike. This allows the lead bike to see left and right.
- Move off in sequence and in pairs when safe to do so.
Group Riding - On motorways
The idea is to keep the group within one lane, we want other drivers to be treat us as one vehicle.
The normal formation for riding on a motorway is in a stagger pattern, using both tyre tracks in a lane.
The Leader will ride in the right-hand tyre track and the second bike will ride in the left-hand tyre track, diagonally.
The aim is to ride in a tight bunch - this deters drivers from moving into the group - but the '2 second' rule still applies
(time the gap with 'Only a fool breaks the two second rule’ or ‘One thousand and one, one thousand and two’) So,
keep a 2 second gap from the bike directly in front of you.
Ride in your lane so that you are in each others mirrors. Look into the wing mirror of the bike in front, you should be able to see the riders face, if not,
they probably can't see where you are.
When traffic gets into the group you should try to reform the group, usually by overtaking as long as there is enough room ahead of the vehicle.
In busy traffic keep an eye on the Tailender, they may initiate an overtake by pulling out into traffic and letting a gap grow ahead of them.
Remember, on motorways we can't mark junctions so we must stick together, follow each other closely and stay as one group.
If you do go blatting off on a high speed test run then it's your own fault if the group turns off without you.
What about overtaking ?
When riding in a group overtaking is usually not necessary, we are all going to get to the same place at the same time.
But you can do it provided it's safe to do so and providing you stay in-between the "Leader" and the "Tailender".

If there is a rider close behind you and they are moving faster than you then let them through.
Make it obvious you want them to come past, move to left-hand side and wave them through or indicate left.
Note that when we are using the Drop-Off system anyone overtaking is helping the group out 'cos they will now be a marker sooner.

What if I breakdown ?
If you have a breakdown / need petrol / need the loo or any other problem then find somewhere safe to pull over and wait for the Tailender to come along.
Don't get stressed, you won't get left behind.
What if I want to leave the group ?
If you want to leave the group then drop back through the group waving 'goodbye' to everyone.

What if I see a junction that should be marked ?
If the number two rider doesn't mark a junction - the next rider should take it upon themselves to drop off and mark the junction.
It's better to mark a junction than assume it's obvious.

What if I get lost ?
If you don't know where you are then wait until you do, get to a road sign, a junction or a village then pull over somewhere safe.
Under both the Follow-On and Drop-Off systems someone will come along and find you.
If after a while you haven't been found then text the Tailender and let them know where you are.

you can post comments & suggestions.if you wish,
this is what you do when you quit drinking Smile and I am only on me 2nd day!!!! May be I should start again lol saddo sorry I will go get my coat!

Some very good points in there Gaz, thanks for posting it thumbs

Only took a minute, as one who has never driven in a large group, Thanks mate, very useful