Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

Restoration project

Guest Guest
I'm going to be doing a bike maintenence evening class in Septmeber and I'm looking for a project bike for me to practice on.

I'm thinking of going down the Royal Enfield route. I'm looking for a classic, can be a non runner as well but obvioulsy not with anything really expensive wrong with it.

So if you were going to do a restoration project, what bike would you choose and why?

If you know of any bike that would suit, please post and let me know. I'd like to eventually show the bike.

Many thanks in advanced for any advice.

Rose ,
You need a bike they made plenty of , sold well and sold well in the UK if poss.
IE if they didn't make many and it didn't sell well parts will be non existent.

Have a look on evil bay and see what catches your eye.
age wise (depending on model) bsa's are cheap(bantams especially) and parts aplenty but dont go back further than 1955 or you will struggle.
im on my third restoration so far, and my 2 rules are:

dont put a budget on it (you will blow it anyway, just aim to spend as little as possible)

dont put a time limit on it (you will go over that time lol)

all the best hope you find what you are looking for thumbs

Good luck in your new venture Rose and sound advice Mark thumbs ps Rose dont forget to update us on here pics are regular updates thumbsthumbs

Guest Guest
@lee wrote:
sound advice there mark thumbsthumbs

rose maybe something like this in the link below would be a good starting point

ok its nothing special,but fits what mark has pointed out,good luck with it all thumbsthumbs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-GSX-750-Project-/110691190133?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19c5b58575

Lee absoloutley spot on, thats the sort of thing I mean. I should have a few pennies by the end of next month so something like that would be perfect.

bsa is a good choice as mentioned,good luck and happy hunting on whatever you decide and remember pics thumbs

Hey Rose if you are going to use a Royal Enfield make sure u employ an Indian they know everything about those machines. thumbs