Moufisto

Possible solution to map cleaning.

Alright.
Here's an idea i just had.

So i want to propose to people,
that as an alternative to having all the worlds we currently have,
we take the current structures in selected worlds,
with the consent of the makers of course;
to put their work into a world together with many others, and to work on it as a whole and to connect and try and make a theme out of what we have.

It's an odd idea. yeah.
but at least we could put the random structures to some different uses, instead of have them floatin around on different maps, with just a plain structure.

Me and some others could do some land and liquidscaping around it to connect it all up.
I'll be more than happy to do this.
Of course, i'm busy with other things, but i think i'll be fine to do this time wise.

How does that sound to you guys?

Otherwise, another solution may be to just 'Dump Map' cache the maps we currently aren't using and to rehash them if we ever do. So, to not delete them, but to just clean map space on the server.
^not sure if this was an idea previously, so just asking.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Nektulos is looking like a pretty awesome map to do this on.

IMO it's a good idea if it does not go to far. What I tried to do with my world was only build on one half of the map and was going to give my other half to any new experts or other experts that needed building room. Can probally do the same, assign a world to two experts. Assign one half of the map to each expert. It seemed most did this anyways but somehow pretty much most experts had there own worlds. You could reduce that by half this way.

I do like your idea though of having a world where people pitched in on a themed project to build some combined world projects that fit the theme. That is something AITM always seemed to lack. Maybe if you managed to reduce some of the worlds, you can create a new one where you assign a theme that anybody mason+ or pupil+ whichever you can trust to behave and follow the rules to build in. Assign a building theme and everybody can work together to fill the world with that theme. Either not connected or connected like choosing city themed. Once it's full, take some screenshots and post them on the forums so everybody's work doesn't vanish and refresh the world with a new theme.

DemonicD3 wrote:
IMO it's a good idea if it does not go to far. What I tried to do with my world was only build on one half of the map and was going to give my other half to any new experts or other experts that needed building room. Can probally do the same, assign a world to two experts. Assign one half of the map to each expert. It seemed most did this anyways but somehow pretty much most experts had there own worlds. You could reduce that by half this way.

I do like your idea though of having a world where people pitched in on a themed project to build some combined world projects that fit the theme. That is something AITM always seemed to lack. Maybe if you managed to reduce some of the worlds, you can create a new one where you assign a theme that anybody mason+ or pupil+ whichever you can trust to behave and follow the rules to build in. Assign a building theme and everybody can work together to fill the world with that theme. Either not connected or connected like choosing city themed. Once it's full, take some screenshots and post them on the forums so everybody's work doesn't vanish
and refresh the world with a new theme.

Just to clarify, the idea is to put previous works together into a theme and to construct a major work piece out of our work that is just lying around, that's more the point of it :S

Moufisto wrote:

Just to clarify, the idea is to put previous works together into a theme and to construct a major work piece out of our work that is just lying around, that's more the point of it :S

I know what you meant, I was just putting out the idea based on your idea that if you clear enough worlds where you have a free world you can apply the same idea except for the creation of new projects. A world dedicated to teamwork based creating based on a picked theme. As stated in my post, for example. You pick the theme city. Everybody works on buildings, roads, etc and all create this gigantic city across the world in a teamwork based project. All connecting there work together. When that's done, screenshot there work, post it on the forums and refresh the map with a new theme.

In regards to what you said, I said it was a good idea so long as it's not crossing the lines (as in somebody's work gets removed or unauthorized moving of peoples work without there permission).

Ehm space shouldnt matter its on a vpn now. Also 1024x1024x256 maps ?

Guest Snowy
I don't think my theme fits in....

Zhuge wrote:
Helllll no. Nobody wants to download a 5-10MB map every time they join a world. I started generating a flatgrass map at 1024x1024x256 before typing this and it's still not done. Okay, it's done now, but it took 45 seconds to generate. A FLATGRASS MAP. We don't have the fastest VPS and I'm sure some of our players don't have the fastest computers.

Let's keep the max dimensions of a map around 512x512x512.

DemonicD3 wrote:
Moufisto wrote:

I know what you meant, I was just putting out the idea based on your idea that if you clear enough worlds where you have a free world you can apply the same idea except for the creation of new projects. A world dedicated to teamwork based creating based on a picked theme. As stated in my post, for example. You pick the theme city. Everybody works on buildings, roads, etc and all create this gigantic city across the world in a teamwork based project. All connecting there work together. When that's done, screenshot there work, post it on the forums and refresh the map with a new theme.

In regards to what you said, I said it was a good idea so long as it's not crossing the lines (as in somebody's work gets removed or unauthorized moving of peoples work without there permission).

just checking. Cool

masteronion wrote:
Zhuge wrote:
Helllll no. Nobody wants to download a 5-10MB map every time they join a world. I started generating a flatgrass map at 1024x1024x256 before typing this and it's still not done. Okay, it's done now, but it took 45 seconds to generate. A FLATGRASS MAP. We don't have the fastest VPS and I'm sure some of our players don't have the fastest computers.

Let's keep the max dimensions of a map around 512x512x512.

Default world (MainRealm) is 512x512x128 i think btw.