Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
11014GRF

The End of Year Defy The Odds Competition

This is a competition that i am going to try to enter. Its where people make there own games (mostly if not all FPS) and they are judged. The only catch is that you are constricted to their engine. An out of date... thing, but i think i can make it work.

A contest open to any FPSC developer using FPSC x9/x10/Modded. Developers are welcome to enter a submission they have already been working on since the end of last year (refer to the rules section). We’re looking for the experimental, the commercial, the finished and unfinished, the polished and the unpolished. All we really ask is that it’s playable.

- You may only use FPSC (x9 x10 or modded) to create/submit a game/demo entry. Multi Player games are unable to enter, due to judging requirements.

- Entries must have a WIP/Showcase thread by 5th November 2011.

- Developers can enter a submission they have already been working on, however a project/game that was submitted for a prior contest (winner or not) or awarded a BOTB is not eligible to enter.

- Free/custom media (models, textures, sounds, scripts, mods, etc) be commercial use permitted licenses only. Non-commercial/Private use media can not be used in your entry, unless your the creator.

- You must provide a copy of the commercial use license for any media used that was not created by you or TGC along with your entry.

- All entries must be compiled and playable.

- You may only enter once, however your submission has the chance to win one or more of the sub categories, including the overall grand prize.

- You may enter as a team, but only one prize per team, per category win. (Private email/msn or other contact is suggested for team entries.)

- Your game/demo does not need to be for public access, unless you wish to do so. All entries submitted will be for Judging use only.

So heres my plan. I need to fill a few holes in my work. By then i would have made a good base of entities to piece together nice screens and a trailer, which ill show off there as well as here. i plan to have this done on November 3rd at the latest. Then ill have some time before i have to submit my entry. Ill use it to polish my models, and put together some good situations. I will release my game to the judges and some of you on here, then the public.

EDIT

I forgot to clarify that this is not the game ive been working on. this will use the same media but is more of a mini game experiment.

And lastly, Heres what im shooting for. Very Happy

Grand Prize: 1 TGC voucher to the value of $100.00 USD

Excellence in Design: 1 TGC voucher to the value of $40.00 USD

Visual Excellence: 1 TGC voucher to the value of $40.00 USD

Ill post a few pictures of other people who are sharing screenshots of their game already. and i might break down whats going on in them

Wish me luck!

Ribit.
The ones that I think are good are "When Worlds Collide" and "Touch of Fear". Of course, this is just me basing off of the screenshots. If I were to actually play in the level, maybe it would be a different story. The other ones I didn't like, be it quality, personal preference, or not enough screenshots of the entry. I'll make a list of the names ordered from least liked to most liked.

1. "Life is Hard"
  2. "Digimaan: The Aftermath"
  3. "Blackline"
  4. "Touch of Fear"
  5. "When Worlds Collide"
(P.S. Why is there a fence blocking the staircase in "When Worlds Collide"? xD)
So these are my comments on your competition, and I hope I get to see your entry soon ^^

Sharok wrote:
damn o.o

I wish I could be your bug hunter... Sad

(xD)

*loads rifle*
Lets hunt us some bugs.

*runs off shooting the cat in the backyard i just saw*

Touch of fear's my favorite there, it's neat Surprised

as for the Black'nessness, can't think of any criticism, unless you want to put something within the picture from your game?
Like, a zombie or some shit in the corner facing the viewer like YO Very Happy

My last day to work on my announcement, i need a few nice screen shots. To make those screen shots i need to make a level. Im gonna make an outdoor level because i don't have any doors ready yet lol. Instead of UV mapping the doors and windows ive been on mine craft

FIRST Unofficial screen, the level is obviously not done yet.
Sad

there will be night and day levels. I did this one to match the skybox i have loaded at this time Razz

EDIT

I have almost all of it done! I think im gonna make my announcement on time on the third! about 6 or 7 PM (4 - 5 forum time apperently)

I announced my game and entered the contest. its a little late, but thats okay because i fell asleep. Im tired so instead of making a pretty post here ill share a few screens.

Guest Snowy

They so cool!!

SLOWWW DOWN THERE ZELDA, i literally just posted and didn't even have a chance to fix it O.o

ps. its fixed

Sweet man! Let us know how it turns out Very Happy
best of luck!

Also if you lose you're i'ma kill you. No pressure.

Guest Snowy
Moufisto wrote:

Well that's happyiness!!!! O_O

Snowy wrote:
Moufisto wrote:

Much love for the 110 <3

(Edit: Also if you lose I'ma kill you **

Guest Snowy
Moufisto wrote:
Snowy wrote:
Moufisto wrote:

Much love for the 110 <3

(Edit: Also if you lose I'ma kill you **

Show some support! @_@

Dun worry man, if you lose, which will obviously be because of biased judges, I'll convince Mou to track them down and make them change the vote or die. :] E'RRY 'UN IS 'APPY YEEEYYY

awwe, thanks!

Im getting some good feedback from the community, heres a few quotes. Im trying me best to keep as quiet as possible, so instead of talking there, ill talk to you guys.

I like it a lot! Whether you meant it or not, the lighting makes the area almost look like a prison complex (Bright white lights, fences, grey colour scheme), which really fits your story. It's almost like the characters have been "institutionalised" within the society they live in. Expanding on this idea, perhaps consider adding spotlights onto some of the roofs of the buildings.

the screenies look good man! I like the contrast between the light and dark areas. At least it's not pitch black like some of the games in these forums. You have used the shadows really nicely through that wire fence.

Anybody who wanted to enter the competition has. Today was the last day to enter. Im feeling pretty good about this. The only major thing im having trouble with is the bloom effects. I replaced the engines default regular one with an an adaptive one. (makes it look like your eyes are adjusting to the environment.)

Now, want some brain food? I don't have the original links that i researched for my story right now, (they are on another computer), but these get the points across (i think, i didn't look to close at the pages.)

http://moneymorning.com/2011/08/30/why-gold-will-replace-u-s-treasuries-as-worlds-last-risk-free-investment/

http://www.cracked.com/article_16710_6-non-lethal-weapons-thatll-make-you-wish-you-were-dead.html

EDIT
I also forgot that the weapon i like best is the massive pain ray. (soo much gameplay potential)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations_Security_Council_veto_power

There was also one i wanted to share, it was about things like stainless steel and glass being replaced with Teflon and plastic, and its (possibly) negative health effects.

Anyways, im now onto UV mapping steel beams and spotlights. Or maybe ill begin on the points of interest. (images and articles that further solidify the story.

I'm the designer of When Worlds Collide from TGC. I can provide proof if needed.
I am flattered you've mentioned my game, however I am not entered for the Defy the Odds competition.

I would like to clarify that you can open that fence blocking the stairway in game. the one facing the other stairway is already open.

Just saying.

sorry for the bump.

Hey, nice to meet you. Thanks for the clarification. I think you did a great job on your level, as I said in an earlier post Wink

thanks! as proof of the other open fence, here's a sound-less video of the level's gameplay

(be warned, it's an early level, so it's pretty boring)
youtube(dot)com/watch?v=SOuOE1fu3A4

there is not sound, so that will add to the boredom. feel free to keep playing your music.