Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
realiTVlover

Nov. 12 David Cook & Band Concert / Gala at the Hard Rock - Planning!

pixie, good luck to your husband setting you guys up for pics! I don't want to get overly optimistic here, but since they have not sold any VIP tickets (at least not yet), there is a chance the Davids will be hanging out with everyone during the buffet and early silent auction bidding, and maybe even willing to take photos... just a small chance, but a girl can dream, right?

And I don't want to name my other cat Michael because she's a girl, lol! Though I could name her Billie Jean or something.

Thanks to everyone for making me feel like it's okay to wear the shiny dress - I used to be thin then I put on a lot of weight for a couple years and only recently got thin again and I'm not yet re-accustomed to showing my body so much, know what I mean?

I told my hubby about the no VIP tickets and maybe we all get to meet the 2 Davids but he said he would call DW's agent a few days before the event to see what the plans are for photos and meets. He's being a good hubby to try and have me meet DC since I didn't meet him at the AI show. Gotta love him for that! Awww Love

I know how you feel about the shiny dress. I lost 35 lbs. this year and am also getting used to a much slimmer figure that I used to have but had 2 kids!

Okay all....anyone coming from upstate new york area???

Okay, tickets FINALLY went on sale today, and a bunch of us got ours, so let's start planning!
David Wright's Do the Wright Thing Gala

Who is going (alphabetically by screenname), 25 and counting:
brookiecookie and her friends Kelly, Carol, and Reenie
CCforDC
chealion313
*cookified08*
cookrocks54
Donna the Cookaholic + friend
pixie659
Crams83
FoolsApril64
geek4vocab
Jane62 + 3 friends
justforme
Martyk74
originalorange
realiTVlover
ReallyCookin
plethoraofwords
Stacey81

If people decide to get a hotel room or two together, we can keep tabs on that here as well, but I think I'm out of floor space at this point. And us local gals can try to help out with airport/bus/train station pick-ups if we can.

Oh, and BTW, I'M REALLY FREAKING EXCITED FOR THIS! WooHoo!!

@pixie659 wrote:
I told my hubby about the no VIP tickets and maybe we all get to meet the 2 Davids but he said he would call DW's agent a few days before the event to see what the plans are for photos and meets. He's being a good hubby to try and have me meet DC since I didn't meet him at the AI show. Gotta love him for that! Awww Love

I know how you feel about the shiny dress. I lost 35 lbs. this year and am also getting used to a much slimmer figure that I used to have but had 2 kids!

Aww, that's so nice of him!!

We have hammered out some details for the Do the Wright Thing Gala-WN Auction Bid Collection&Prize!

and we need volunteers to be the liaisons to all the other DC fan forums, preferably people who are well-known and trusted at the forum you would like to be the project rep to that forum for. PM me if you are interested please.

Guest Guest

I am not well-known or trusted anywhere. How can I help? Very Happy

Oh and you can add +2 for me, I am bringing REAL LIFE friends, John & Andrea. They have totally been Cookified, even though John swears its "for the children." Sure, sure.

Very Happy just catching up. phew. Im getting too excited over this, shouldnt b here too often. *'ploding* you bet Aussie I'll be battling the dr. w nails and teeth (biting, turtle style, hahahaha) Anyways, wow this is too cool to be true. Im so glad I'll finally meet a lot of you guys, that's really cool. Im pissed at my computer right now cuz I cant see the dresses, dont know what's up w it grrr!! gonna have to wait til tomorrow @ work. Please dont delete the pics!!! I'll post my dress as soon as I buy it, had one but changed my mind........idk what to wear!! will it be cold??? Man I dont think I can flirt w other guys while David is there, he might get jealous bwhahahahahhahahahhaha! I dont want to cheat on him right on his face

originalorange wrote:

Oh and you can add +2 for me, I am bringing REAL LIFE friends, John & Andrea. They have totally been Cookified, even though John swears its "for the children." Sure, sure.

Yay for you converting real life friends! As if I could ever do that.. Rolling Eyes

Guest Guest
You never know. I cookified my co-worker with one listen to the studio version of "Billie Jean" on my ipod. We ended up buying tickets to the Cleveland show and going there together that same day, and we're planning on going to as many solo tour stops as we can. So it is possible to convert RL friends... you just have to find the right ones.

finally I got to see dresses!
Daina u look so pretty idk what ur talking about! option A definitively
Stacy you look amazing as well! love the dress!! and ur right, u got killer legs Very Happy

originalorange wrote:

Wanna design a banner for the website? Flower Bouquet

And you're well-known and trusted HERE!

Guest Guest
Well, I haven't checked here in a couple of pages....I didn't know you posted the dress again, Stacy....it looks good....Yeah, I think you'll turn a few heads!!! LOL You guys are all gonna look great! **so envious**

By the way, would you all please stop saying "the Davids"???? Every time I read it, I think "Archie?"....every time....LOL

Stacy, you look great in the dress. But it makes my feet hurt just looking at the heels.

I understand there are no tables. So, I plan to wear pants and comfortable shoes. We will no doubt be standing for HOURS!

"standing for hours" omg......oh well, quoting DAvid when he came to DC "beauty hurrts" LOL!
hey guys are we 100% sure he's bringing the band? I keep reading David Cook at the webpage but no band....any references??? Very Sad

I'm hoping to find sexy but comfy shoes for this thing, which means no heels for me.

Plus, it's an open bar and for me heels and booze don't go togther. Laughing

I'm on the "beauty hurts" train. And those shoes WILL hurt. I will not be surprised if there is blood before the evening is over... but they're hot!

My favorite shoes are what my friends have nicknamed the "hooker shoes." They are sexy hot but hurt like hell. I can't wear them for more than 15 minutes a shot but I'd love to be able wear them to the Gala, they are HOT, but I know I'd be miserable and I want to enjoy this performance.

I'm going shopping today so hopefully I will succeed in my shoe quest.

Good luck!

I actually might get some different shoes for that dress - something silver. Or stiletto boots or something. I'm not sure. I really need to find some kick-ass earrings for it because I think I'm going to wear my hair up - I like to wear my hair up when I bare my shoulders.

My biggest issue is finding clothes more than shoes. I have a general idea in my head but finding what I want to go with that idea is going to be difficult I think. Laughing

I'm hearin' you on the heels and booze issue, CCforDC. And the other thing is...I don't want to act like a jerk around Cook, which I will invariably do if I drink. (Good thing I never knew him as a bartender!)
So now the major question is: heels and a dress - or - comforatable shoes and pants. My heart says heels and dress, my dogs say, comforatable shoes.
Crams, you're a stitch, btw.

Well, I won't be drinking so anyone who is afraid of how they act around DC tipsy, you'll have non-drinking company. Smile

Good, Stacy. I can just see myself saying exactly what I think, otherwise. I totally spill the beans and tell the truth when I've had too much to drink. And then I start DANCING. Oh, Gawd!

Guest Guest
Wanna design a banner for the website? Flower Bouquet

And you're well-known and trusted HERE!

Ooohh I'd love to!

Good, Stacy. I can just see myself saying exactly what I think, otherwise. I totally spill the beans and tell the truth when I've had too much to drink. And then I start DANCING. Oh, Gawd!

Okay, but NOW you make me want to see you drunk! I love watching drunk people make fools of themselves! I've certainly done it myself enough times Laughing.

And Jen, yay! cheers I'll chat with you tonight or tomorrow morning about it if that's cool with you.

I don't plan on getting wasted but hey open bar man! Laughing

Plus we need to do a shot toast to the new CD right??? Wink

lol! i dont drink but i'll have at least one to celebrate. I'm afraid of what i'd do drunk, since sober im quite scary on occation.

Guest Guest
I'm so excited for all of you! (And more than a little jealous.) I went and looked at all of those pictures of the previous years' galas, and it looks like you could get away with wearing almost anything. The first year it seemed like people were really dressed up, but in subsequent years people were wearing anything from nice jeans with cute tops to awesome dresses. Won't it be fun to see David and each other when you're not all hot and sweaty in your David Cook T-shirts? I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't at least have chairs for all of you to sit in while you listen to David's set. Then maybe you can have a break from the high heels.

Great idea about chipping in for an auction item! I'll have to go check out that thread.

By the way, I love your dress Stacy, and Daina, I liked both dresses A and B. I think either one of them would be a good option.

Did I mention how happy I am for all of you? That is going to be such an awesome time!

Yeah, Cramsie, ONE shot of Patron to celebrate. That ought to do it.

Twisted Evil let's be merry. Either Patron or Jack Daniels.....to get in the mood.....

Yeah...be a devil! But I'll tell ya...I was just watching the financial news. What a buzz kill. I'm so glad we all have our tickets. Couple more days of this stock market crap and I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to spend the money on those tickets. But oh well, we've got them. LET'S HAVE FUN.
And I'm putting aside a little extra for the auction. Those of us who will actually be there...can we just hand it to you Stacy?

yeah Im just assuming i'll empty my bank account w this trip. I dont care. And Im not watching the news for the next month, don't wanna hold back w the $$$. I'll make plans to contribute in the auction too. I just havent read anything bc my mind is on trying to get a cellcaster for Bryan Jewett right now, but once I solve that I'll get more into the auction Very Happy it's for the kids

For the auction, they are taking credit cards not checks, so I will be collecting donations by check and paypal on a website set up for it, and will put it all in my checking account, then use my debit card for the auction. So we can't bid over what is actually in my checking account.

O.K. Paypal's good Stacy. Do you actually mean a seperate website? I guess if I went to check the charity thread I'd find out. Doh.
Good luck w/ Bryan Jewett Crams.

Okay all-
I was over at dc.org and wanted to share some snippets of info they have....

sorry guys, i don't have time for a long post (the mkts have been KILLING ME WORK_WISE!) but Tee, Jerseygirl2 & I checked out the HRC last night! The stage is pretty small! We chatted with our waiter and he said that for concerts they clear out all the tables in what they call "the pit" and he says it makes the room look alot bigger, but it was deceving with the tables in there. Also there are 2 different private rooms that they might possibly use for VIP, not visible from the stage area - so it would be separate........i'm sure Tee and Rache can add more to this.....

As Lisa said, our waiter proved to be very helpful (and when Rachel pimped David to him, I noticed he didn't say "who?"), he said the pit looks deceiving with all the tables - it looked really really intimate - read: small - but that for concerts they remove them and its much larger than it appears. He said it all depends on how the client wants the event set up, sometimes they'll have bars set to the side as well (which I would think would take some room away from the crowd). We did notice that no matter where you will stand, the area is small and intimate enough that everyone will have a good view of him on stage. He did say that most likely the VIP section would be either one of two rooms they have for this - they're not near the stage and would probably be for the dining portion of the night. Everyone will watch the show in the same section regardless of whether you got GA or VIP tickets.

I'm not sure if I added anything new, probably not, but it was definitely nice to get an idea of the setup beforehand. We did speculate on where the red carpet would be, lol. And I noticed there were plenty of guitars around if David got any crazy urge to smash som
e

Hi all, pretty much what Tee and DCJerseyGirl said, pit area and stage are small so no matter where you'll be you will be CLOSE! There are two balcony levels (about 2 small tables wide) around the whole thing. Great views even from balcony.

The waiter did say that generally they take all the tables away in the pit when they do concerts, and usally set up the buffet tables for food/drink on one of the two balcony levels, but sometimes they set them up on the pit level, it depends on the event. Frankly, if the 450 GAs is the right number of tickets they're selling, there is no way there will be any room for tables. We'll be eating and drinking standing up! Think cocktail hour at a wedding!!! And yes, VIP people will be mingling with GAs for the show itself, there is no view of the stage from the VIP room. (so maybe you'll end up standing next to David Wright during the show )

PS Good thing this is OPEN BAR, drinks are pricey there (but the cosmos sure went down easy!)

As for the numbers on the ticketmaster tickets, they are just for tracking. They do that all the time. I've bought GA standing room only tickets for Springsteen and they still put seat numbers even though there were no seats. Their computers need seat numbers. And tickets do say GA Standing Roo
m.

Fri 10 Oct 2008, 1:02 pm Topic: Re: more info....
just keeps getting better....from .org

The new rumor is that David's set will be 45 minutes long.
That is great if you consider that his set with Idols Live was only 25 minutes!
It could be as many as 10 songs. We'll have to see... I'll keep my ear to the groun
d!

I have some info to share with you. I talked with someone at the Foundation.

I asked about cameras. He said cameras were allowed and seemed surprised that I would ask. I said well it doesn't hurt to ask, some venues don't allow photography. He said "well is David Cook going to want pictures taken of him while he is on stage? I don't know." I asked him about the red carpet. He said the celebrities may or may not use the red carpet and that people congregate outside for that but he couldn't really tell my anything about the specifics of how that will wo
rk.

Wow. Thanks for the info. That's great. It somehow makes it all the more exciting when you have this kind of prior information. I wonder if David will be going off into the VIP area to schmooze with those guys at some point, or what. Not that we even had the option to buy VIP tickets. At one point, before the market started going south, I envisioned buying VIP tickets and said so in an email I sent the Wright Foundation. You know, where they say: "For information on ticket sales, email us here." or some such clap-trap. They never did email me anyway! Go figure.

That is some great info!! 45 minute set is more than I expected and I would be absolutely thrilled if that is the case! It's almost longer than the 2 AI shows I went to combined =) (Cook's set rather)

So. freaking. excited. !!

So it looks like there ARE VIP tickets after all, they are just not for sale, at least not yet, perhaps going to sponsors or something. I have to admit, when I saw no VIP tickets for sale, I got my hopes us that they nixed VIP tickets entirely and it was only GA and David might mingle with the masses. I guess not. Very Sad

But we get a 45-minute set - that is SO awesome!

GIRLSSSSSSSSS!!!! I just bought my tickets!!!!! Yahoo!

I'm going with my friend from work who LOVES David Wright, and I got her semi-hooked on Cook back in May. I was a little iffy about the price, but all my overtime this week pays for my ticket, and I'd be kicking myself forever if I passed this up. I'm so excited!!! Smile

I Know. Unbefrickkinlievable. I'm so stoked. 45 min is a fantastically long set for us who are used to what...25 min? And I'll never have been so close to him while he's singing.

Guest Guest
@dukedoll wrote:
I want to know when he is coming to NC

Add Florida to that list too! He did do the promo saying he was going to Disney World!!!
Hope he does come when they open the American Idol attraction!!

for those of you that know NYC...how far is 68th & Amsterdam from the Hard Rock Cafe?

It's about 25 blocks or so, but as long as you're not wearing painful heels, it's walking distance.

For anyone who is familiar with the area that the HRC is at, the entrance to the room where it'll take place is on the side of the main entrance (which I think is 44th or 45th Street, something like that), so I would assume they may close off the street to do the red carpet there.

I've been in there without the tables, and it still isn't very big on the floor. Very Happy

I'm thinking since VIP was never offered on the website that it is for actual VIP, not fans with money to burn. Laughing We'll see though.

As for the 45 minute set rumor...Please let this be true! I've been in that Hard Rock as well and was posted above, it is small. And with only 450 tickets sold it will be a good view regardless, but I'm hoping to manuevor my way to the front.

Oh and Stacy, are they hard tickets or email ones? Are we just going to meet up with you to get them?

They are email tickets. I can give everyone theirs when we meet up, or I can snail-mail them to anyone who PMs me their address if you're worried about meeting up.

Our group is up to 29 people now! Yikes Cool!