Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Prissy

Light On performed by a contestant of the Estonian Idol

Guest Guest
ROFLOL

"What I can feel at night, on a naked light?" Shocked

Guest Guest

OK, not that bad of a voice but....Ummm, wow, he needs to learn the lyrics a bit better next time Shocked

Tricia wrote:
OK, not that bad of a voice but....Ummm, wow, he needs to learn the lyrics a bit better next time Shocked

Well, David needs the lyrics to that one taped down for him every night, so I guess we shouldn't be TOO hard on the guy for that.

But, dude, I got a more important tip for you: don't pick a song with glory notes you can't hit. EVERYONE will notice you didn't go for them.

Guest Guest

True...very ture Stacy. David needed the lyrics to a few songs taped down for him, lol.

Yea... those 'so called' glory notes he hit were, well.... uummm...Suspect

Needs to learn the lyrics correctly, but he doesnt have a bad voice. Liked the ending.
Probably he's the David or Michael Johns of his season? haha. He seems to.

I've always considered myself knowledgeable in geography...

But where the hell is Estonia? scratch

And more importantly...geezus he fucked up those lyrics big time. Shocked

Guest Guest
I had to look it up. It's south of Finland, north of Latvia, east of the Baltic Sea, and west of the Russian Federation.

Guest Guest

Well, you asked. Razz

Yeah my great aunt is from Estonia. It's sort of near scandanavia.

That performance was just awkward. I didnt even watch the whole thing.

OMG...that is one hard song to even think about doing..I'll giving him credit for trying it and credit for having a decent voice..but he so messed up the song! Man it should be against the law or something to mess up a David Cook song!

wow. I actually kinda like his "Permanent." Despite slightly mismashed lyrics.

He must be a big David fan!

He has some lyrics issues huh? lol
He's clearly a big fan but some of the notes in both the songs were a little much for him. They aint easy to sing.

I know. I dont know why but I dont really like it when I hear other people singing Permanent. It's just one of those songs so personal to David that it's just not the same when someone else sings it.

Guest Guest
I agree, Mal. I haven't watched the video yet. Kind of hate to, because to me that song is David... no one else.

It's just one of those songs that I dont think should be touched. It's something for David and Adam personally.

yes i'll give him that! he sure loves to sing such challenging cookie songs! Shocked however it was decent although the messed up lyrics cracked me up Laughing hystericall . however, like mentionned before it's LO. a very hard song vocally. i know. i tried to do the LO Challenge and i've been a trained vocalist for years and i had trouble with the song! and i'm saying that candidly. and yes David doesn't always remember these lyrics! i remember at the Ottawa show, i was standing in front of his mic and the tech people before the show were taping LO, Declaration lyrics on the floor for him! Razz

As for Permanent, i so agree! it should not be touched by anyone but David! that's a song so raw and personal that no one could possibly reach the level of intensity and raw emotion that David brings to this song! especially since he wrote it about his brother.

Stephora
Declaration tour '09: 13/03;23/05;03/08;04/08;02/10;03/10;14/11;16/11

We know this song has its own sentiment by David only. But the guy didnt do it on a mean way. He does have a nice voice and did a good job...only needs to LEARN THE LYRICS PROPERLY.

Guest Guest
He doesn't have a bad voice and he's a decent looking guy. So he's probably one of the more popular idols on that show. Those are two difficult songs to sing. I think this showed just how incredible David's voice is. I think it's kind of cool that he's obviously a Dave fan and also that DCTR songs must be fairly popular over there. But ummm yeah he needs the lyrics taped to the stage lol.

justforme wrote:
He doesn't have a bad voice and he's a decent looking guy. So he's probably one of the more popular idols on that show. Those are two difficult songs to sing. I think this showed just how incredible David's voice is. I think it's kind of cool that he's obviously a Dave fan and also that DCTR songs must be fairly popular over there. But ummm yeah he needs the lyrics taped to the stage lol.

I completely agree.

I mean, his voice wasn't terrible, and of course he's good in my book because he's ovbiously a David fan.

But it really does show that David has such an amazing voice because when he sings both of those songs, it seems as though he does so with (vocal) ease. And then this guys struggles and his tone isn't as good when he hits those "glory notes."

And yeah... I only got about 1/4 of the way through the Permanent vid.

OK, the guy's voice is ok, sort of. But he definitely doesn't have the tone quality and range and power that David has. And man, what a mess he made of the lyrics. At first I thought maybe that was just the way he arranged the song, but now I don't think so. It was just a total mess. He was just throwing words in there in the wrong order. Felt kind of bad for him. Maybe the lyrics were extra hard for him cause they were in English? My guess is English isn't his first language.

Guest Guest

I felt (for whatever it's worth) the guy was trying to pay tribute to David, especially with Permanent. I sorta liked it. Maybe not the right songs for him, but I don't think he did bad at all....on the contrary...I think he did the best he could given how difficult those songs are..

I know how we all feel about Permanent, from a very viceral place..but I'm gonna cut the guy some slack, he obviously was touched by it...and they had to get clearance to use it, right? So, clearance must have been given..Don't think David would have allowed it cleared if he wasn't thankful that others found it as touching as he did.

Just my 2 cents worth is all. I hope he wins the thing. (and get's English lessons for his album, so he doesn't sound so...Estonian?)

ETA: As far as LO goes....even though he screwed up the lyrics...he kept going on, didn't stop, made the best of it..and hey, maybe most people didn't even realize it since the song was in English!! ROFLOL

Overall, I think he's a great singer and I wish him the best in the competition!!! I bet David is flattered that someone would want to sing HIS songs on Idol..amazing (mistakes and all IMO)

Huntwork, good point about people might not have noticed the lyric mess because the song was in English. We know these songs backward, forward and inside out, but people over there might not. I thought of him not knowing the lyrics because of English might not be his first language, but I never thought about everyone else.

David's voice is sooooooo amazing on those songs, it really is hard for me to hear others sing his songs. But I bet he feels honored that they would even want to. Now, what will be really hard for me is if American's try to sing his songs on our Idol show. I can't help but compare to his version.

Being a Super fan of someone is such a weird and strange experience for me. Smile

I have to agree with Huntwork and Viv - Here's my take on Permanent:

Yes, David wrote it from his heart, but as an artist and a songwriter, I think he appreciates seeing how his music and influence touches other artists. I agree no one will ever sing it with the emotion David has, and knowing the story behind it, I do kinda feel like it's David's and Adam's song. But from a professional standpoint, I have to appreciate that David's music is touching people around the world.

As for the lyrics, I think the songs being in english is the issue. Obviously not the local language - there is definitely an accent and the pronunciation of some of the words is evidence of a language barrier there. The guy has a good voice, and I think he was going for the emotional performance to make "THE" impression. Remember, this IS an Idol competition.

On LO - I kept thinking - Wow - David can mess up these lyrics just as badly! lol I wondered if this contestant listened to one of David's performances from early in the tour, before they taped down the lyrics for him! I actually got a kick out of that!

I just think, messed up lyrics and all (David will probably think "Wow, I'm not the only one"!), David will be very pleased to see how his music is impacting other artists, and he'll appreciate their interpretation of his music from an artistic standpoint. And I do think the singer has a good voice, a good stage presence, and I hope he wins! And he's no doubt cookified! That already makes him a winner in my book! LOL flag

Despite the lyrics error (poor guy !!!)
It's amazing the David have been remebered so far from th US !!
Yahoo!Yahoo!
Seasons Greetings

I agree with everyone who said LO was pretty good apart from the obvious lyrics mess up. I don't know if I can watch Permanent.

If the guy picks easier songs, he would shine since he has the voice.

I always get the chills when i hear permanent especially when i hear David Sing it . It is for sure Davids song but i have to say that guy is not so bad and when any one sings, dances to any David song I Love it. It shows that he has fans all over the world . Awww Love

all I will say is that guitar player is no Neal Fucking Tiemann....

Here are my thoughts on this performance!
First off, I did not like the performance at all because the guy forgot the lyrics to the song . I also thought the guy sounded a bit Karaoke. I would wonder what Simon Cowell would say if this guy was a contestant on AI . The only person that can sing Light On better and that is David Cook. I know everyone knows that David Cook can sing Light On the best. Those are my inital thoughts after watching the video.

I give the guy credit, he has a decent voice. I listened to all of Light On but couldn't make it through Permanent. Given the personal nature of that song, I'd rather not hear anyone else sing it.

Oh man *major cringe*

I started watching the Permanent one and legit couldn't even. It's too personal and close to David, and only he can sing it.

As for the Light On performance, he doesn't have a terrible voice, but nobody is David.

Guest Guest
@vsteph1 wrote:
Huntwork, good point about people might not have noticed the lyric mess because the song was in English. We know these songs backward, forward and inside out, but people over there might not. I thought of him not knowing the lyrics because of English might not be his first language, but I never thought about everyone else.

David's voice is sooooooo amazing on those songs, it really is hard for me to hear others sing his songs. But I bet he feels honored that they would even want to. Now, what will be really hard for me is if American's try to sing his songs on our Idol show. I can't help but compare to his version.
Being a Super fan of someone is such a weird and strange experience for me. Smile

On this I agree with you. It's gonna be really weird, but also, really flattering that people would even WANT to try to sing his songs..I'm a superfan too..and it is strange, but I'm trying to see it from other's perspectives. Can you imagine something you wrote and sang inspiring so many to want to sing it too?!?!?! THAT'S got to be a great feeling, even if they sound nothing like our guy and mess up the lyrics...to us, He'll always be the best at his own music..that's just how we roll...but for those who are learning about him, or just discovering him and really like him, I can't think of a more sincere way of showing how much they appreciate him than by singing his songs. I think he's completely flattered and knowing him, humbled, by the whole thing. Smile

Guest Guest
@cjester27 wrote:
Bit OT-ish here, but...this singer WON the recent edition of Estonian Idol. More about the songs he's performed is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ott_Lepland

YAY!!!! cheerscheerscheerscheers HE ACTUALLY WON THE COMPETITION!!!!! AND HE SANG DAVID'S SONGS!!!! I'M GETTIN' CHILLS ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!! INCREDIBLE!!! STUPENDIOUS!!! SUPERCALFRAGLISTICEXPIALADOCIOUS!!!!! Yahoo!Yahoo!Yahoo!Yahoo!Yahoo!Yahoo!Yahoo!

Simply amazing...THAT is the power of Cook in action..I see it as David won all over again....only in another country!!!! YES!!!! Yahoo!Yahoo!Yahoo!

Guest Guest
@SV4DC wrote:
all I will say is that guitar player is no Neal Fucking Tiemann....

ROFLOL Yes, I do agree with that too!!! Bwahahahahaha!!!!

Guest Guest

It is an honor that he chose to sing a couple of David's songs, and it's nice that he won. He has a pretty decent voice, but he was definitely stretching it trying to hit some of the notes in Light On (which is an extremely hard song to sing.) And if he's going to sing the songs, he needs to learn the lyrics... or use cheat sheets, LOL.

I still haven't listened to Permanent, and I probably won't. While I agree that it's an honor to have people singing David's songs... that's one I personally just don't want to hear anyone else sing. To me, that song is David's song to Adam, and I can't imagine hearing anyone else sing it. Nor do I really want to... but as I said, that's just my personal feelings.

I do agree that David is probably both happy and humbled to hear others' sing his songs, and it's very cool that those songs got that exposure. Smile

Guest Guest

The one thing I noticed on this rendition of Permanent...he rearranged the wording a bit...doesn't have original intent.

Yes, that will always be David's song for Adam to US. But I think that for those who either don't know the back story, or maybe, don't realize just how personal it was to DC, they are trying to pay tribute to him...All I can think of is that if David didn't want the song out there, he would never have recorded it and then never have given permission for it to be used. I understand peeps feelings though, it makes me cry everytime I hear it. But I guess, for me, I celebrate it as a brother's love and ultimate victory over something so hard. Ack, I should say this in the lyrics section...I'm just giving my personal view on it. Smile I got a new perspective on the song since I've been going through some health issues..David was also giving Adam a voice..saying "I'm permanent, even though I'm sick and my body won't last...I WILL". I guess, for me, its a song about lasting joy in the face of pain. Of strength, of love and ultimately, of victory. For someone to want to express appreciation for that song by paying tribute to DC through using it? I'm cool with it....different story if it is recorded by someone as a cover...then I might get a little upset...but for this competition, I'm seriously cool with it..And the funny thing is, I thought I wouldn't be. Weird.

Anyway!!!! Glad he won, now, hope he writes his own stuff. (and learns English a bit better!! LOL!!!)

Guest Guest

I just love that other people are already singing David's songs and using them for singing/dancing contests, sports music and whatnot Very Happy

Having said that, I agree with you, Jeannie. I don't think I will ever be able to listen to someone else singing "Permanent".

Guest Guest

I get what you are saying Vikki, and I can agree with you... I just don't want to hear it myself. Doesn't mean I don't want other people to hear it - though I admit I'd rather they hear David's version. Wink

I agree with your interpretation... but to me, I don't personally care to hear anyone else sing it. Their rendition just wouldn't be right to me... that song more than any other I just can't imagine being sung by anyone else, and I don't care to hear someone else interpret or rearrange it. But that's just my own feelings, and why I didn't click play on the video. Wink

I'm sure there are people out there who could do a lovely rendition of the song... but for me that song is David's, and his is the only voice I can imagine hearing singing it. And I really don't want to change that for myself. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't feel that way though, and that's cool. Smile

Tricia wrote:

Well, David needs the lyrics to that one taped down for him every night, so I guess we shouldn't be TOO hard on the guy for that.

But, dude, I got a more important tip for you: don't pick a song with glory notes you can't hit. EVERYONE will notice you didn't go for them.

Yeah, he kind of sucked compared to David, but this guy wasn't awful. I mean, for foreign Idol standards, he's not THAT bad. I think we're just spoiled because David has such a great voice. LOL Face

Interesting, I looked it up and this guy Ott actually WON Estonian Idol. Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ott_Lepland