Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LAinCT

Unlucky lyrics and what it means

Does anyone have any idea what this song means, or what is your interpretation of it? It's a beautiful song.

Unlucky

1 2 3 4 5 6 .....

No fools eye to recognize
Where growth is preferred
My growth is deterred
If I could find an alibi
Then I might find something good
No blood can be seen
Yet it still can be shed
Know these words that you speak
Are like nails in my head

Here's the last words I'll write for you
From the start I'd lost step with you
Now you'll see
You're far too unlucky for me

A warning shot hits the air
In the form of a child
How immense for another to raise one of its kind
No reason to scream
Seems its all in my head
Know these words
That you speak now wash off with the dead

Now you'll see

Where's the time go when walking blind
Where's the love when you never mind
Seems to be

I also love the song Unlucky - thanks for starting a topic on it.

David generally doesn't share the meanings of his songs, leaving it up to us to interpret what they mean to us. That's part of what, IMO, makes him a true artist - that the same song, the same lyrics, can evoke totally different associations in different people. I have my own interpretation that I don't feel comfortable sharing with everyone. Though you can see in some song threads I do. But I'd love to hear what it means to you. There is no "wrong" interpretation to a David song. I've heard some very different from my own on some songs, and love to hear those even more than those that are similar to mine.

Guest Guest
It is a very emotional song. I have a theory about the lyrics but I'm not sure exactly how to put it into words. To me this is a story about unplanned pregnancy and how it changes lives. I don't know what David intended the lyrics to mean. He's said many times that he leaves his songs open to individual interpretation by not telling us what the lyrics mean to him.

I think along the same lines as you Barb, as far as my interpretation. It could be about choices people have to make when things happen that they didn't expect/want, and how those choices affect others. But no matter what it means, I LOVE this song. The music & lyrics are beautiful.

I agree with it being possibly about an unplanned pregnancy mainly because of these specific lines:

In the form of a child

Guest Guest
LOL, I've always thought it was "if I can find a "lullaby" instead of "an alibi"! It didn't make much sense in the phrase but it did with the whole meaning of the song, as I also associated it with pregnancy, especially because of that part Kristen pointed out.

The other parts of the song are more confusing to me, though, because it really sounds like he's angry and is planning to leave her. I don't see a decent man leaving his pregnant girlfriend just because he was not anticipating becoming a father. To me, there is much more going on under the surface in this relationship. Perhaps she is pregnant with another man's child? Perhaps that is why he is so angry. It's like this is the last straw for him; she has always been unlucky, and these are the last words he will devote to her. Plus, comparing her words to "nails in his head" and having the words "wash off with the dead." It's a pretty heavy and heartbreaking sentiment.

Guest Guest
"Plus, comparing her words to "nails in his head" and having the words "wash off with the dead." It's a pretty heavy and heartbreaking sentiment."

Kristen, I always thought those two phrases might mean that the woman either miscarried or chose to terminate the pregnancy. The way I see the story is....

Boy and girl end up with unexpected pregnancy. The boy isn't ready for that because he realizes it's life altering and scary to raise a child. The girl either miscarries or chooses to end the pregnancy. The boy is conflicted angry, sad and at the same time resolved to end what has become a bad relationship. He realizes that the relationship was not good from the start and this all just brought it to a head.

^^ That's been one of my thoughts, too. I have even considered that she ended the pregnancy without telling him, and now he has to come to terms with all of this at once. It's almost like this is his reaction after she has said, "I was pregnant, but I'm not anymore," and he just decides that he simply cannot have her in his life.

Guest Guest

I can totally see the anger, the disappointment and the need to move on from that "unlucky" or maybe destructive/negative relationship. Love to read all of your interpretations Very Happy

justforme wrote:
I always thought those two phrases might mean that the woman either miscarried or chose to terminate the pregnancy.

That's what I take from it. More along the lines of her terminating the pregnancy possibly without him knowing. It's a heavy song, yet shows Axium's maturity even at their young age. I like when music actually has meaning, and can talk about difficult subjects and emotions. A nice break from some of the radio fluff.

One line always bugs me, though, because I'm not sure what it means. Maybe it's the way it's worded.
"Where's the love when you never mind"

Could it be referring to her not caring how he felt?

Guest Guest
I always thought the line "Where's the love when you never mind" meant that there can't be love or a relationship if there is no communication. Like when your partner wants to talk about something important with you or asks you how you are feeling and your response is "never mind".

Guest Guest
That's my take on the line Jen.
"Where's the love when you never mind"

That she never really cared about him. That she never cared to talk things over about the unborn child before she terminated the pregnancy or even miscarried. That she never even told him she was pregnant to begin with.

It could also be taken as a communication failure. Like the "Whatever....never mind" type of deal. How can you work on a relationship when you don't communicate.

What teamwork we have! I see the whole song as:

He's been with her for a long time and as long as he's with her, he cannot grow as a person because she holds him back. He knows this but still can't seem to let go of her. Then the "last straw" occurs, whether it is a miscarriage, abortion, or another thing entirely, and it truly opens his eyes to the time he has wasted being with her. How could she treat him like this? Thus, he writes her these "last words" to say goodbye finally and to move on with his life.

Here's my take on the entire song Smile

Quote :
No fools eye to recognize
Where growth is preferred
My growth is deterred
If I could find an alibi
Then I might find something good
No blood can be seen
Yet it still can be shed
Know these words that you speak
Are like nails in my head

The first part of this verse is sorta like what you guys said. He wants to grow as a person but the girl is holding him back. However, "no blood can be seen, yet it still can be shed", to me, is like he's thinking about something wrong with her, and from the rest of the song, he's wondering if she's cheating on him. "Know these words that you speak are like nails in my head" might be that she still claims she's been faithful and she only loves him, etc., but he's not so sure.

Quote :
In the form of a child
No reason to scream
Seems its all in my head
Know these words
That you speak now wash off with the dead

This verse, to me, basically states that she confirmed that she was cheating on him, because she was pregnant with some other guy's baby. So the words she said about her being faithful and everything, "washed off with the dead"

and the chorus:
Quote :
Now you'll see

This is basically his good-bye to her and "from the start I'd lost step with you" sorta means that he figured form the beginning she wasn't going to last very long. And then the whole premise of being "unlucky" is that she was doing a good job of hiding something, but she ruined it with the child, so she's "unlucky" because he finally figured out.

and then

Quote :
Where's the time go when walking blind
Where's the love when you never mind
Seems to be

is basically like saying he spent so much time on her, but she never really cared. She never minded him at all, and she never minded her own faults (i.e., cheating)

That's basically what I get from the song Smile