Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
poleman1

Damn Honda electrics

Hi guy`s, over the cold winter months my 30 amp main fuse blew, everything was damp with condensation so thought that could have been cause, dried and sprayed seemed to have solved it. Was out at weekend and bike stalled on me, but re-started immediately so thought I had just been in wrong gear but on arriving home could smell something was hot. On removing seat found same fuse had blown but had also melted the fuse holder but she would still start and run ok. Cleaned holder up and fitted a new fuse and have been out for a good run again this morning and bike ran ok, hate leccy problems, any ideas ??? Alan

If a fuse goes quickly due to short circuit, the only damage normally is to the fuse itself. If you have heat damage, I'd go for a prolonged period of excess current being drawn culminating in the fuse being blown. It sounds like you may have a poor earth or more likely something is drawing sufficient current to generate heat. That can be a number of things such as faulty alternator or light circuits. Given that it's a VFR, and I know the old ones were worse for this, I'd suspect the regulator/rectifier. You really need a workshop manual to be able to check it properly, otherwise all you could do is replace it anyway. Smile

By ohms law volts times amps equals power this power dissipates as heat
sorry couldnt resist Very Happy still at it Smile seriously
I would suspect high resistance connections caused by corrosion around the fuse holder
undo all the connections and clean with wire wool or similar abrasive to give good electrical contact
give the easy bits a look first then look at more expensive items
and ohms law still applies

agree perhaps I should have been clearer in my reply. Always remember the KISS acronym. I just kind of assumed you'd realise what I was getting at.
Whereabouts in the UK are you mate? I bet someone local would offer you a bit of help Smile

agree perhaps I should have been clearer in my reply. Always remember the KISS acronym. I just kind of assumed you'd realise what I was getting at.
Whereabouts in the UK are you mate? I bet someone local would offer you a bit of help Smile
Hi think might have sorted problem guy`s. one of the wires to fuse holder had a short (2inch) length of wire from a connector(why it was there have no idea, other wire went straight to fuse holder),found this short length of wire plus connector was so hot as you couldn`t touch it, so have cut both wires back to fresh wire and connected a new fuse holder, now , even after a good run both wires are ok to the touch. Touch wood hoping this has sorted it, thanks for replies Alan. Am in Boston Jack m8

@poleman1 wrote:
Hi think might have sorted problem guy`s. one of the wires to fuse holder had a short (2inch) length of wire from a connector(why it was there have no idea, other wire went straight to fuse holder),found this short length of wire plus connector was so hot as you couldn`t touch it, so have cut both wires back to fresh wire and connected a new fuse holder, now , even after a good run both wires are ok to the touch. Touch wood hoping this has sorted it, thanks for replies Alan. Am in Boston Jack m8

well done m8 like I said high resistance generates heat
Im in Spalding by the way

thumbsthumbs

That may be an accessory lead you're referring to. I've got one on my Kawasaki which is also a convenient point to fit a connector for Optimate or similar. Glad you look like you're sorted. Smile

thumbsthumbs

That may be an accessory lead you're referring to. I've got one on my Kawasaki which is also a convenient point to fit a connector for Optimate or similar. Glad you look like you're sorted. Smile
This short piece of wire was corroded looking inside the connector , another reason thought it was suspect. Was out Spalding/Wisbech way yesterday, bike is in black with red vfr vfour decals, Alan

Funnily enough Alan I can remember riding my VFR800 past Boston/Spalding one night without lights-the reg/rec was being a t**t & I was trying to save enough battery to get me home from Yarmouth. Made it in the end, but not my idea of fun Shocked Even worse, at the time I didn't know what was wrong (thought it might be the alarm) and it finally expired, stopping the engine at 100mph on the M1 near Luton affraid
I'm over in Nottingham, if you ever want a guided tour of the Peak District or WHY let me know. Smile