Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
realiTVlover

* 2012 Race For Hope * David's team is open! Discussion Thread

As David's team is already open, this thread is now where you can chit-chat/talk about this year's RFH! Woohoo!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Night for Hope" concert info:

@yiddidea wrote:
Night of Hope details are HERE! Registered RFH participants get access to pre-sale this Friday. Public sale starts Monday. Great

Race for Hope info:

This is the link to the team page:
http://www.braintumorcommunity.org/site/TR/Events/RFH-DC?team_id=49994&pg=team&fr_id=1810#.TygKLoMpQ7E.twitter

We've set a separate thread HERE for you to learn who's going and share travel and hotel plans with other fellow wordnerds. Plan away!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, the 2012 Race is coming up. This year, David has not said whether he's attending or not. I believe he said somewhere that he might have a "family commitment" or something like that, but has not confirmed officially he's going or not. And he's pretty focused on raising money for ABC2 through Crowdrise & the marathon, and has not mentioned this year's RFH at all that I know of. And the last 2 years, he announced involvement, and the team was organized much earlier than this point in the game.

So, we can't assume he's not participating this year, since he hasn't said. But if this other unspecified commitment usurps his public commitment to the Race "for as long as they'll have him," if it does end up preventing him from running the Race, and then walking it with his niece & nephew & whole family, and Grand Marshaling, and meeting with all the survivors to individually give them and their families hope, and giving one of his awesomely inspiring speeches, and allowing the 99.99% of his fans who cannot participate in a marathon the fantastic opportunity to participate in something bigger than themselves with him, and all the other things he gets to do for people only at this Race... I'm wondering: who all will still go?

I personally don't know if I will. I haven't decided. Simply because if he's not there, I don't know how many of my friends will be there. And if the whole DC-community atmosphere is missing, and I don't have people to room with, and all that, not only can I not afford it, but it's not the same to me at ALL going alone, without being part of a team. And how can there be a team without a leader? And only if I race on a team will I be able to get all the contributions from friends and family I did the last couple years. I can only give so much myself. It's the team page I link to f&f that brings in far more than I can give alone, money-wise.

But I will say this: If it is absolutely impossible he be there Race day, if he cannot keep that commitment, that's a shame for the Race and the survivors, but it is what it is and I'm sure he will do what he feels is the right thing to do for everyone involved. But if he can manage to be in DC on the Friday or Saturday night before, and not also break his commitment to the Annual Concert for Hope, and also a team is set up, then I'm all in. For the Concert and the Race and everything. Because I trust that many of our community will be there if there is an official team and he at least does the Concert. I really, really, REALLY hope that happens. Because the Race weekend is so special to me.

So, what about everyone else?
  1. If he races/Grand Marshals/speaks, AND there is a CFH are you in? For both?
  2. If he races/Grand Marshals/speaks, but no CFH, are you in?
  3. If he is not at the Race but there is a CFH are you in? For both?
  4. If he's not there at all, no CFH, but an organized DC team does happen, are you in then?
  5. If he is not there at all, no CFH, & no significant organized team presence are you in?

I edited my previous post to ask some questions, and thought I'd give my answers.
  1. If he races/Grand Marshals/speaks, AND there is a CFH are you in? For both?
  2. If he races/Grand Marshals/speaks, but no CFH, are you in?
  3. If he is not at the Race but there is a team presence at it and a CFH are you in? For both?
  4. If he's not there at all, no CFH, but an organized DC team does happen, are you in then?
  5. If he is not there at all, no CFH, & no significant organized team presence are you in?

1. YES to both!
  2. Yes.
  3. Yes to both.
  4. Maybe. I would have to feel confident there would be a strong team presence.
  5. No.

You bring up some good points Stacey, as a survivor I'm on the fence about the whole thing. I'm so glad I decided to go last year, it was an amazing and emotional experience for me and my family that attended with me.

1.If he races/Grand Marshals/speaks, AND there is a CFH are you in? For both?

Yes

2.If he races/Grand Marshals/speaks, but no CFH, are you in?

Absolutely

3.If he is not at the Race but there is a CFH are you in? For both?

Yes, I'll go to the concert and then go cheer on the survivors in the race. I don't think I would participate being only a team of one.

4.If he's not there at all, no CFH, but an organized DC team does happen, are you in then?

maybe

5.If he is not there at all, no CFH, & no significant organized team presence are you in?

I'll more than likely pass this year if this is the case. I feel good knowing I made my donation to the organization for David's race in march. He's gonna be out there running that marathon for all of us who are fighting, have fought and those who have survived. That's my perspective on the whole thing as a survivor.

Guest Guest
Hmmm good questions.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Possibly if there was a strong team presence. The weekend spent with friends sightseeing, laughing etc was wonderful last year
5. No, I would do my local race if that happened. We had a RFH in Philadelphia this past November. Family members formed a team for that one since we lost my father in law to brain tumors. Without a team full of friends there it wouldn't be worth the time and expense.

The only reason for me to travel to DC when they do have a RFH closer is to spend time with my friends(and see a great concert if it happens). If I just wanted to see David, I could watch his speech on youtube later. It's not like I would get or want to say even a quick hello to the man at this event. His time is spent with survivors, family and media which is as it should be.

Guest Guest
You bring up some good points Stacey, as a survivor I'm on the fence about the whole thing. I'm so glad I decided to go last year, it was an amazing and emotional experience for me and my family that attended with me.

1.If he races/Grand Marshals/speaks, AND there is a CFH are you in? For both?

Yes

2.If he races/Grand Marshals/speaks, but no CFH, are you in?

Absolutely

3.If he is not at the Race but there is a CFH are you in? For both?

Yes, I'll go to the concert and then go cheer on the survivors in the race. I don't think I would participate being only a team of one.

4.If he's not there at all, no CFH, but an organized DC team does happen, are you in then?

maybe

5.If he is not there at all, no CFH, & no significant organized team presence are you in?

I'll more than likely pass this year if this is the case. I feel good knowing I made my donation to the organization for David's race in march. He's gonna be out there running that marathon for all of us who are fighting, have fought and those who have survived. That's my perspective on the whole thing as a survivor.

I totally agree with you, Holly. If David decides this year he has to pass on the RFH, I'm OK with it. He's doing the LA Marathon/Mozilla Challenge and numerous other charity efforts every year. Although I've never been able to attend a RFH since I'm like a gazillion miles away, I do understand that David's presence and even an organized team without his presence, meeting friends and all is a great experience and a huge bonus. But the bottom line for me comes down to donating to a cause that is close to his and our hearts. What form, place, or circumstance is not important.

Thanks for being the first to answer, Holly, and also for bringing your perspective as a survivor. Thanks, too Barb, for yours as someone who has been before as a "regular person" lol and expecting to go again, and now thinking about what it would take for you to go. And Made, you saved me the trouble of posting that just because I asked those questions of potential participants doesn't mean those who had/have no plans to go shouldn't weigh in in this thread. Smile

Guest Guest
Thanks for being the first to answer, Holly, and also for bringing your perspective as a survivor. Thanks, too Barb, for yours as someone who has been before as a "regular person" lol and expecting to go again, and now thinking about what it would take for you to go. And Made, you saved me the trouble of posting that just because I asked those questions of potential participants doesn't mean those who had/have no plans to go shouldn't weigh in in this thread. Smile

Hopefully people will still donate. Whether it's to his LA Marathon page, their local RFH or to the DC RFH even if he's not there. Losing a family member to brain cancer gives me that connection which will motivate me to donate whether or not David participates. I think for a lot of people their connection to the cause is David. Because he has given us so much through albums, concerts etc, we want to give back to him by supporting his cause. I think when he is directly involved it does make people feel in a way that they are giving back to him.

I really hope he sets up a team page regardless of whether he can be there or not this year.

Guest Guest

Exactly, Stacy! Lots of David's fans don't live in the US and even people who live in the US and can't financially afford trips/tickets/hotels, etc. are likely to never be able to go to RFH or even one of the tours' concerts. That doesn't mean we don't have a voice. We do and we've contributed to his charities and to buying his music equally (if we had the chance) as anybody else. Sometimes I think we have a more objective, non-experience related faith in him, his music and his charity work overall. Smile

My answer to all of the questions is: "yes"!

The Race for Hope is local for me, and honestly it has come to feel like a rite of spring. I have become attached to it and its cause. It doesn't appear that David is setting up a team of his own this year for the Race (although I could be wrong). For the last two years, my husband and daughter have been members of a team in honor of a deceased colleague of his, and I know my husband has enjoyed spending time with the family. I will join them on that team. My husband went vegan over the summer, has lost weight, and is running like a fiend. He can now kick my a%@ when we run together Evil or Very Mad so it should be interesting. I also think one of the sweetest survivors ever will be attending once again with her family... a little girl I met through work who I adore .

If David cannot attend the Race this year, I'm so glad that he is supporting ABC2 through the LA Marathon. He'll be running longer and harder than ever to achieve this, and I bet he will be thinking of Adam and others who have fought the good fight during every mile. I've made a contribution to his effort.

And Holly, thanks for sharing your feelings. I love your spirit!

Glad you have a team to join and go with this year, Chrissie! Hug

The only team I have is David's and if he doesn't set one up this year, I probably won't race and it won't be like past years where friends and families donated hundreds to my race page. I have donated to ABC2 more than once (3 times in fact, I think) through David's Crowdrise / Mozilla Firefox challenge pages and I feel great being able to continue to support the cause that way, but I'd love for the charity to get many times as much by having a page of my own on David's team page for them to rally behind.

If there's a team and a concert, I think a LOT of people will bring in all those additional donations from friends & family through their team pages, and we'll get to gather and bond with each other as we do SO strongly at these races. They're so special to me and I just hope there's a team as well as a concert and/or David as Grand Marshal so there will be a lot of people. Including me. Smile

Guest Guest
Made, I hope he sets up a team page even if he can't be there. That way fans near and far can donate.

Guest Guest
Made, I think you're right. It's hard to remain objective once you've experienced a RFH weekend. I wonder if people who haven't attended feel the same way about RFH that I feel about the LA Marathon. I think it's great that he's participating. I donated and I hope he has a good run and raises lots of money. But I'm not emotionally attached to the event.

I think it's just hard for me after seeing it to envision it without him involved. Having seen him speak about the cause and watched him interact with the survivors etc it's just something I want for the organizers/survivors every year.

In a perfect world people would donate or participate even if David is not there. Unfortunately I think the lack of team page will cause a drop in the money raised and the amount of people running. Charities use celebs to draw in people and donations because it works.

Guest Guest
justforme wrote:
Hopefully people will still donate. Whether it's to his LA Marathon page, their local RFH or to the DC RFH even if he's not there. Losing a family member to brain cancer gives me that connection which will motivate me to donate whether or not David participates. I think for a lot of people their connection to the cause is David. Because he has given us so much through albums, concerts etc, we want to give back to him by supporting his cause. I think when he is directly involved it does make people feel in a way that they are giving back to him.

I really hope he sets up a team page regardless of whether he can be there or not this year.

Not only he has given us so much through albums, concerts, etc. but he's actually brought to our attention the need to fund cancer research through all of his charity efforts. Whether we donate to RFH, the LA Marathon or whatnot... it really doesn't matter in the end. I sometimes wonder... are we giving back to him or are we giving back to a cause he's enlightened us about?

Maybe we should all think about this.

Oh, I know I am giving to the cause, and I have faith in everyone else that they are, too. The difference for me is that, without participating in the race, I can't also be a part of an incredible moment, being a part of something bigger than me, experiencing an electric energy that makes even the Irving Plaza concert pale in comparison. (Really. It's maybe the only thing that can one-up that incredible concert.) And without a team, I can't bring in the many times as much money to the cause as I can when I have a page my friends and family can donate to.

I'm beginning to think that the incredible feeling of actually taking part in something so much bigger than you, with a team of community members, that is something that those of us have done cannot express adequately to get it across to those who have not. I just wish we ALL could experience it.

Guest Guest
Made, I think it's a little bit of both. It's just human nature to want to do things to please people who give to us or who make us happy. It's not that the fans expect or need him to know that they gave because he asked. It's more that it makes them feel good to donate for him and for the cause. To be completely honest, there is only so much extra money that people have to donate to charity. They are going to give that money to a cause they are drawn to. They could be drawn to it because they are personally affected, or because someone they admire or respect has drawn their attention to it.

Guest Guest
Barb, you make an excellent point when you say, "It's just human nature to want to do things to please people who give to us or who make us happy." This is why charities align themselves with celebrities whenever they can.

With limited dollars to donate, you have to make choices where you give the money, and giving the money to a cause that someone you admire supports is a good "push" to get people to donate.

Brain cancer research is an important cause to me, because I have lost five friends and/or co-workers to this terrible disease, and have a sixth who is in remission and still fighting the battle. David bringing this cause to my attention was a great thing, because we don't have (that I know of) a local fundraiser that is specifically for brain cancer. I have participated in our local Relay for Life to raise funds for all cancer research for years, and I continue to do so. But finding out that I could support a cause to search for a cure for brain cancer was a great thing for me.

I gave money to David's team the first two years, and last year I was finally able to go - the first two years the weekend conflicted with my company's trip to Las Vegas, and I wasn't able to attend. Being there last year, walking through DC with my friends and team members was an indescribable feeling. Seeing all the survivors gave me so much hope. Being a part of it was an absolutely amazing feeling.

If David has an active team and there are friends going that I could room and hang out with, I want do it again - if not this year, another year in the future. If not, I will still donate - and I have already donated to David's marathon team for ABC2, and plan on making another donation today. This is a cause that has affected my life; I have seen firsthand how it has ravaged families of people I am close to... so for me this is a cause I will always support. And I'm grateful that Dave brought it to my attention.

Just FYI I split this from what was temporarily a 2011/2012 thread and the other thread is back to being only a 2011 thread. This is for discussing plans for the 2012 Race, and what it will take to get everyone who had planned to go to it after last's years, to still go even if David doesn't.

Hi all. I was nudged on twitter and asked to pop in. Just wanted to let everyone know that I am still waiting for word from ABC2 about the 2012 team. I did tell them that if David is unable to attend for whatever reason, I do believe that the fans would still want to have an organized team, and they are passing that information along. As soon as I have anything official to share, I will let everyone know. I will be heavily involved in the Race, regardless, so I will see everyone there who chooses to come. Smile

Thanks for popping in Deana! Do you think there will be a hotel block whether or not there is an official team in DC's name?

Deana, let me know if I can help in any way. If David is unable to do any of the Race day activities himself, but can endorse a team and continue the "annual" concerts, it still won't have the participation level or be quite like the last 2 amazing years were (3 for you!), but I think we can salvage a lot that would be lost otherwise.

ETA: I'd really like to hear more from people that are or were considering going this year. My list of questions in the OP or just in general: What will it take for you to go this year?

Guest Guest
@yiddidea wrote:
Hi all. I was nudged on twitter and asked to pop in. Just wanted to let everyone know that I am still waiting for word from ABC2 about the 2012 team. I did tell them that if David is unable to attend for whatever reason, I do believe that the fans would still want to have an organized team, and they are passing that information along. As soon as I have anything official to share, I will let everyone know. I will be heavily involved in the Race, regardless, so I will see everyone there who chooses to come. Smile

Thanks for keeping us updated, Deana! Count on us for anything you need.

I've never attended but have donated which is what I'll do again this year. Thanks to David brain cancer is now on my radar as something to be donated to and supported. As a breast cancer survivor I do tend to support and work for that cause alot as I also do ovarian cancer because my SIL passed in 2006 after a 2+ year battle with that silent killer.

DEBRA

Quote :
@DeanaRFH
Good news! David's 2012 Race for Hope Team should be open in a few days! I will let everyone know as soon as it is up and running!

Guest Guest

YEAY!!! Go WordNerds!DC Cheerleader

And on top of that, David has 100+k donation towards ABC2 through the Mozilla Challenge!!!

Excited2

YEAH!!!!! cheers

I'll definitely be going now that we have a team! It was such an amazing and emotional experience for me last year, I'm glad I'll get to be apart of that again.

I loved that video. Awww LoveAwww Love

I'm so happy to hear this news! I was starting to think how sad it would be not to be there this year. It's become one of my favorite days and I couldn't imagine not going.

I had no idea about it until now, but I'm glad there's going to be a David Team.

I'm in, and I'll do all I can to be there this year. I moved a little bit before the race last year and wasn't able to go. There's also a chance hubby will race it this year with me, his auntie organizes some events to raise funds for brain cancer research in our area, and he said he'd love to go with me, if he can. He has not been to DC yet, so it would be great to go with him, be part of the Race again, and meet the Word Nerd friends one more time! We probably won't be able to go to a CFH, if there's any, because we won't be able to take time off work to fly earlier, but we're going to do our best to be at the Race.

I would be willing to go if I know there is someone I can stay with and we are unit. I want to go either way. As long as I can stay with someone.

Guest Guest
I'm going to register this weekend. So happy we have a team again. Participating in this last year was so amazing... Can't wait to do it again!

I'm going to register at some point next month and start talking to friends and family here to see if they can donate as well.

Guest Guest

Wow... Cookie Nookie's tribute video to the Race... what a beautiful, beautiful video set to "We Believe."

Beautiful tribute for such a warm cause!
Hope everyone going have fun and enjoy this event, giving the best support possible. Smile

Guest Guest

I didn't wait for the weekend... I started my page today. Smile

Guest Guest
Excited2Excited2Excited2

This is AWESOME NEWS!!!

We'll have to see what happens as far as my vet school plans go....but if I CAN go, I will. I loved last year and can't wait to do it again Very Happy

Guest Guest
Jamie, I really hope you can make it!

Guest Guest
I hope you can make it too Jamie! We had so much fun last year!

Aw, Ashley, I'm sure if you search ardently enough you'll find someone from your area going with room in their car & hotel & such. Don't give up hope! Hug

my best friend is going to texas and nyc with some family at the end of may and it's one of our goals but with her trip we can't this year. we want to eventually. maybe next year or the year after. i'll probably do what i have been doing the past three years and ask friend and family to donate to david's team. i've already donated today and i plan to do so again soon.

It would be awesome to actually be able to attend his event in person someday. In the meantime I will just have to send what I can and cheer from the sidelines (home).