Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cjester27

"'American Idol' David Cook Asked to Fill In for Hinder Frontman"

"As for Cook, THR hears he has another offer on the table: a recording contract from Verve, which is owned by Universal Music Group and run by veteran producer David Foster, who also happens to be husband to Real Housewives of Beverly Hills’ Yolanda Foster. Cook is "considering" the terms of the record deal, says a source. "

Fingers Crossed!!! 

I am so happy for David Cook that he turned down the deal to focus on making music for us word nerds fan base. Cool 

How flattering and validating for David to be the #1 pick for Hinder. Now, THATS rock cred!! I'm not at all surprised that he turned it down, however. I don't think he wants to be on stage singing someone else's music. He's an artist first, not a frontman first. I likey that! ll

(haven't posted on this page in a while)

Glad to hear that his name is on people's minds!

Guest Guest

Thanks for posting, Sarah. So, so happy that David was chosen by Hinder! It's logical that he turned them down as he surely wants to continue pursuing his own music. AND let's cross our fingers he can work out a satisfactory contract with Universal Music Group!

At last his talent is being recognized DC Cheerleader

Now that is quite an honor that his name came up - and by an established rock band no less.

I'm glad he turned down the offer though. Smile 

Guest Guest
I'm going to go against the majority here and say that filling in as lead singer for Hinder might have been a good idea. They charted #1 pop 100 and mainstream top 40 in the U.S. and #3 in adult top 40 with a power ballad that I could easily see David writing/singing. Fronting Hinder temporarily would have given David exposure to A LOT of potential new fans.

I understand if he didn't want to take time away from his own music. I just can't help but feel that this was a great marketing opportunity missed.

They admire David since Idol time: http://insidetv.ew.com/2008/07/02/hinder/

Quote :

INSIDE TV
American Idol
Hinder to David Cook: 'We'll write with you'
by Shirley Halperin on Jul 2, 2008 at 2:55AM

Share on Tumblr
   Comments 66

David Cook’s already packed schedule is about to get more demanding. With the American Idol tour kicking off tonight and booked through September 22, the season 7 champ will have to juggle concert dates with studio time in order to make the deadline for an early November album release. But one band is willing, if not eager, to help: hard rockers Hinder, best known for their 2006 hit power ballad “Lips of an Angel.” “I dig David Cook,” says singer Austin Winkler, a native of Oklahoma, where Cook has lived for the past few years. “He shows that the world is starving for a little bit of rock-n-roll. Hopefully we can write some tunes for him.”

According to Hinder, who were in the audience for this year’s Idol finale and met the winner briefly that night, the admiration is mutual. “I heard he’s a fan,” Winkler tells EW.com. “I’m sure we’ll cross paths.” Meanwhile another Hinder member is holding out for a chance at some face time with a female Idol champ: Carrie Underwood. “I love her,” says drummer Cody Hanson (no relation to Tulsa’s Hanson brothers). “She’s my favorite of everything, and probably the hottest chick on the planet.”

Guest Guest
justforme wrote:
I'm going to go against the majority here and say that filling in as lead singer for Hinder might have been a good idea. They charted #1 pop 100 and mainstream top 40 in the U.S. and #3 in adult top 40 with a power ballad that I could easily see David writing/singing. Fronting Hinder temporarily would have given David exposure to A LOT of potential new fans.

I understand if he didn't want to take time away from his own music. I just can't help but feel that this was a great marketing opportunity missed.

Maybe... or maybe not. It didn't seem to help Adam Lambert much when he fronted for Queen. (As far as picking up new fans, at least if album sales are an indication.)

It's very nice that they offered it to him, but I think it just would have taken time away from his own music, and all it would show the Hinder fans was how David could sing Hinder's music. It wouldn't give them any idea of what his music sounds like.

Now opening for them? That might have made a difference. Then he would be presenting his own music, and his own style. But singing nothing but someone else's songs is kind of a step back towards the Idol image, IMO.

Guest Guest

ITA with Jeannie. Fronting the band would not have done him any favours. Opening for them as DC and band is a totally different story. That would be cool Smile

Guest Guest
True, Adam wasn't helped much by singing with Queen. Part of it was that Queen is iconic, a legend with a fan base that for the most part is older. Hinder is a band that sounds like David. They sing power ballads. I just have a feeling that Hinder's fans would like David if they heard his voice.

As soon as I read that Hinder approached David, I started thinking...HMMM how cool would it be if Dave filled in and had the chance to add a song or two of his own to the set. It would introduce his voice and his music to a whole new potential fan base.

justforme wrote:

Exactly what she said......I agree 100%!!!!!!

justforme wrote:
True, Adam wasn't helped much by singing with Queen. Part of it was that Queen is iconic, a legend with a fan base that for the most part is older. Hinder is a band that sounds like David. They sing power ballads. I just have a feeling that Hinder's fans would like David if they heard his voice.

As soon as I read that Hinder approached David, I started thinking...HMMM how cool would it be if Dave filled in and had the chance to add a song or two of his own to the set. It would introduce his voice and his music to a whole new potential fan base.

Still agreeing here!!!!!!

Guest Guest

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm convinced that David could front the band quite successfully and even gain some new fans. But it's not like Hinder is a huge thing right now. I mean, for David, to add a song or two to their repertoire wouldn't change much for him and I don't know either if this kind of band is his cup of tea. He seems quite adamant on pursuing his own path, not compromising with what's "hot" in the music business or joining a band just for the sake of gaining a few more fans. JMO Smile

@dc122082 wrote:
justforme wrote:

I agree with you both. Who is to say that Hinder wouldn't have let David perform some of the songs he has been working on. And even if he hadn't gotten that opportunity, Hinder fans may have seen what he has to offer and followed him when he does perform his own music with his own band.

It's one thing to stand your ground regarding your artistry. It's another to have maybe not have considered all of the benefits there were to working with a band like this on a temporary basis.

He would have sounded great fronting Hinder for a short stint and I'm happy they thought of him. I'm even happier that David has his eye on his current goals though.

Just now reading about Dave being approached by Hinder to front for them. As for what he should do, I can see pros and cons to both decisions. The main thing (JMO) is that Dave's name and his talents are out there and being noticed by people in the industry. This means nothing but pluses to me!

DEBRA Popcorn 

So many good points brought out here...

Will say it was exciting to hear he'd been considered for the fill in job.

Adding, from the moment I heard Hinder's cover of Wham's song "Careless Whisper"...
I wished David would have sung it! Although... they did a great job at rocking out the tune!

Guest Guest
Shelley, I'll have to check that one. Seems interesting and I'm sure David would have done an awesome job with it.

So many good points brought out here...  

Will say it was exciting to hear he'd been considered for the fill in job.  

Adding,  from the moment I heard Hinder's cover of Wham's song "Careless Whisper"...
I wished David would have sung it!    Although...  they did a great job at rocking out the tune!

I think this is the video...

that is a video of Seether, not Hinder.  

I posted from my Iphone, maybe I picked the wrong link...I'll post the right one as soon as I arrive home... sorry Flower Bouquet 

Guest Guest

I couldn't find the Hinder video but Seether did a great job with the song too. It could be in the line with what David did with "I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight". David's version of the latter is soooo sexy, IMO Thud 

Doh...   y'all are right!

It was Seether who covered "Careless Whisper"...  well,  I stand firm with my belief
David would have done an awesome job with it.!  

Sorry for the confusion!  

Hey guys, haven't been here in a while...I'm just happy to see any legit offers on the table for David and his career. I have confidence that he knows what is, and isn't a good choice for him personally, and professionally. DC Cheerleader ~Wendy Hi!

@dc122082 wrote:
justforme wrote:

Joining this band wagon. I think this would have been an opportunity to expand awareness of David's artistry to a much wider audience beyond the Idol bubble, or at the very least he could have made this a stepping stone to having his own band later on playing completely his own music. JMO.