Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

David's 2014 Race For Hope Team is up!

Guest Guest
Dave's team has been set up and is accepting donations and registrations HERE.

As always, fans are making donations to his personal page in honor of his birthday, which was yesterday. Belated birthday gifts will gladly be accepted, of course! You can follow the Link above to make a donation. While many are donating $31 for his 31st birthday, any amount will be appreciated.

Also at that same link, you can register to become a member of the team. We have such fun every year as we help out this great cause by running, walking, or volunteering to help with the race. Registration costs $40 to be an untimed runner or walker, $45 to be a timed runner, and is free for volunteer workers.

The race will be held on Sunday, May 4, 2014 in Washington, DC. It truly is an amazing experience to be a part of this, and I am looking forward to participating for my 4th year this year. It is a great opportunity to help David's charity of choice, spend time with other fans, and help to make a difference in the fight against brain cancer. Please join us if you can!

(If you can't make it to DC, but want to be a part of the team and help, you can sign up as a virtual runner for $40 as well.)

Guest Guest

This is wonderful news! Hope the team is as successful in all aspects as the previous years Very Happy

Hope that 2014 RFH is even more successful than in previous years. It's such a great cause!

DEBRA  Smile 

Some of you may know that one of the many reasons I participate in the RFH every year is that I have an old friend who developed a brain tumor just after the turn of the millenium. She had surgery and radiation and went into remission for many years. She had the BEST spirit and attitude. She actually named her tumor - Timmy, after the South Park character. We all had to pronounce it the way Timmy did (Timmeh!). We all got t-shirts with a picture of Timmy, head half-shaved on it after her surgery.

Timmy was in the part of her brain where language and memory is centered. When they removed the tumor, they had to wake her a number of times during the 12-hour surgery to ask her questions and see if removing that section would take away too much of who she was. After removing as much of the tumor as they could safely, half Carrie's vocabulary was gone. But she wasn't the slightest bit bitter about it all. She would simply ask once every sentence or two something like "then the... people who put out fires" and we'd supply the word firemen; that word would be re-learned and she wouldn't skip a beat.

Thanks to the great doctors she had, a few years later I got to be part of her beautiful wedding. Then she and her husband had a baby boy, Sam. The doctors gave her many incredible years. But on this last New Year's Eve, Carrie lost her battle with her brain tumor. She was a shining light brightening every day of everyone around her before, during and after the diagnosis. To say she is missed now is a gross understatement.

This year, I am going to get in shape enough to run the race instead of walk it, in her honor. Carrie donated to my team when she was still with us. I hope to have my biggest donations year ever in her honor. It's past time to find a cure from this horrible disease that takes the best of us away from the rest of us.

I am really hoping to raise $1000 this year now that I am racing in her honor. If anyone wishes to contribute to RFH in Carrie's honor, please visit my RFH page.

Guest Guest
((Stacy)) I'm so sorry to hear that Carrie lost her battle. Sending good thoughts to her family and loved ones. Wishing you strength and peace.

Guest Guest
Hug Stacy, I am so sorry to hear that Carrie lost her battle. I hate this disease! As someone who has lost several people I know to it, I can say that being a part of the race in someone's memory really helps with the pain of loss. I hope you can make your goal! My thoughts are with her family and friends.

Guest Guest

Stacy, thanks for sharing Carrie's story with us. Her strength and attitude will surely inspire many. Hope you, her family and other friends find comfort and peace. It's a great thing you will be doing by running and fund raising in her honour Hug

Guest Guest
Stacy-I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Carrie. It is a terrible disease & I hope you meet your goal & we come closer to a cure.

Guest Guest

If you plan on going, and have not registered yet, now would be a very good time.

David is going to do an acoustic set/Q&A session on Saturday for registered team members only. Once you register, you will receive an email from Deana with details on how to order your ticket. If you are registered and get the email, Deana asks that you NOT share the purchase link with anyone else, as the event is just for team members.

There are also new team shirts for this year, designed again by David. This year, they will not be shipping them to anyone, so if you aren't going and want a shirt, you will need to have someone who is going order you one, and then work out shipping arrangements with them.

And LOL, the tee shirts remind me of teenage mutant ninja turtles - grey and green, the lettering is similar to TMNT lettering, and the emblem on the back looks like a turtle shell with the cancer ribbon on it. So David! LOL Face

Can anyone who is going post a picture of the shirt and how much it is? I'd like to order one but I'm not attending so I'm contemplating asking a friend to order for me.

Guest Guest

The shirts are $15 each, are pre-shrunk, unisex, and come in small, medium, large, extra large and 2X.

dcshir10.jpg

Guest Guest
They are... and so very David, lol.

BTW, if you want a friend to order one for you, you need to let them know right away. All orders are due by next Monday, April 14th, so they can be ready for delivery in DC.

Will do! I'll have to think about it for a day. I have to figure out expenses for this month. Thanks again!

I wish I was able to go this year, but again I'm a broke vet student at the mercy of student loans. Very Sad (I'm so desperate for money I actually pulled my signed Dave guitar out of its safety case and contemplated selling it....then put it back up once I realized the neck of it has cracked slightly.  Crying )

The tshirts are awesome. I hope everyone going has a great time at both the race and the team event with Dave! I miss everyone!

think I'm gonna ask someone for a t-shirt. wanted to go this year so bad but airfare is so expensive! even if I'd go by bus, it would be too long and I'd missed the team member event on saturday. Very Sad

P.S so sorry for the loss of ur friend Stacy. Cancer sucks. thoughts and prayers are with you and Carrie's family. *hugs*
Stephora

Loud Tour '11 : 02/12;09/12 RFH '12: 05/05;06/05
Tour '13: 25/10;26/10;06/11;09/11

Stacy, I'm so sorry about your friend losing her battle to cancer. Reading your story broke my heart. Ugh, this disease just sucksssssssss! As I suck at asking people to donate money to anything, every year I do small donations to various people's pages, so this year I will use your page to donate to this cause.

BTW, nice to see you. Smile

LOL at the tshirt. It really is just soooo David. How cute that he tries to make things fun, even when they are serious subjects such as this.

well since my plans to go to NYC are kaput, gonna save that money for RFH weekend! just registered! Smile will work through travel arrangements the best I can. I'd rather spend my bday weekend doing something meaningful for brain cancer this year. Smile

I wanted to know if some people are still looking for roomates, can you please let me know. thank you. Smile

Guest Guest

Found two pics David posted Heart

Guest Guest
Well he certainly went with the Ninja Turtle green theme didn't he! The most amazing thing about that second photo is seeing that little girl grow up. I believe that is the same child walking with him as the last couple of years.

Guest Guest
I love the Ninja Turtles theme, so cute! The same goes for him to be walking with this girl each year ♥