Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
XS1100

Bandit 1200 Mk1 front end

How much of the fork stention should I have showing when its sat on the side stand and as the top adjuster screwed in to the 1st line? I have 116mm?
where should I have the screw adjusters set? std springs may be toasted by now? V reg Mk12

It's called 'static sag'.

With the front wheel OFF the ground, ie. forks fully extended, wrap a tie wrap around the stanchion so it touches the rubber seal.

Now let the front wheel carry the weight of the bike, the forks should compress & move the tie wrap.

Take the weight OFF again & measure the distance from the tie wrap to the seals ie. how much the forks have compressed.

A good result is 20-25mm.

Do the same again only this time let the bike carry its full normal weight ie. the rider or rider + pillion + luggage etc.

A good result is 30-40mm.

Use the preload adjusters to achieve a sag of approx 35mm with the bike carrying its normal weight.

THIS WILL NOT MAKE YOUR BIKE HANDLE ANY BETTER !

Thanks for that Chas thumbs
It will give me some thing to do in the morning. As for handling any better any things better than riding the old 70s XS tea trolly handling.My Bandit could totaly worn out and still handle better then any thing I have been use to Laughing

@XS1100 wrote:
Thanks for that Chas thumbs
It will give me some thing to do in the morning. As for handling any better any things better than riding the old 70s XS tea trolly handling.My Bandit could totaly worn out and still handle better then any thing I have been use to Laughing

I never had an 'excess' 1100 but I did have several other lardy, litre+ bikes of 70's/80's design. F#cK me, we used to call them Superbikes?

Kidz today, tut, they don't know what it was like to throw a 2ton bike with an elastic frame + swingarm, tyres with no grip (Avon Roadrunners Very Happy), brakes like blocks of wood etc. into a corner at 100mph & still come out on the back wheel with one finger in the air.

agree and with derry boots waxed cotton riding gear and Stadium full face lid!!!!! affraid

@XS1100 wrote:
agree and with derry boots waxed cotton riding gear and Stadium full face lid!!!!! affraid

I had a 'Kangol' lid, C/W press studs to fasten down the Bob Heath visor.

Move your head at anything above 60 & the visor would flip (I think BANG is more correct) open, catch the draught, & damn near rip your head off.

Pah, kidz today don't know they're born.

i had a kangol at one point ;absolute rubbish thumb down then moved on to stadium achilles thumbs

Hi Chas, I followed your instructions and with some slight adjustment with the pre load I now have 27mm so I will call it a day.& have a look at the rear shock which set to the middle setting.
cheers
Any thing to keep up with Dave Sad

Funny thing Dave is my missis had a similer artical in vogue magazine Twisted Evil
Thanks Dave reading that I can get my sag to with in there limit by backing off the pre load,
just need to top the Noz up now Smile