Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

IOM and speed questions?

Guest Guest
hey guys just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me. ive heard that there a large sections of unrestricted roads on the isle of mann that do not have a speed limit and therefore you can have a bit of a play, but ive also heard of people getting speeding tickets outside of 30 and 40mph zones witch sounds like they do enforce the standard UK 60mph. can any one clear this up as web searches are a bit contradictory.

The mountain road only, as no speed restrictions, the rest of the island does thumbs

Guest Guest
@Stue11 wrote:
The mountain road only, as no speed restrictions, the rest of the island does thumbs

guess ill just hang round there Smile

If I could just add that whenever and wherever you see a national speed limit sign i.e. the white circle with the black line going through it diagonally, on the Isle of Man, this means that section of road is unrestricted and therefore you can travel at any speed you feel appropriate in the conditions. You will not get a speeding ticket because there are no speed limits on unrestricted roads although you can and will be prosecuted for dangerous or reckless driving.

This might help clarify any queries:

Unlike the UK there is no national speed limit. There are speed restrictions in built up areas, but after passing a 'National Speed Limit' sign there ceases to be any speed restriction, although people driving in a reckless manner may well be stopped by the police.

Source: Driving on the Isle of Man