Please do not use an email address as your username. If you have, please change your username. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
richg

tile drilling

I am fitting a new toilet tomorrow and need to drill through the tiles to fit the pan to the floor and the cistern to the wall. I believe that you drill holes through tiles with a masonary bit not on hammer, slowly and stepping up in size until you reach the right size. is this correct as i have no spare tiles after i had to retile under my sink when i fitted new taps last week.

If the tiles on the floor are the same glazed ceramic type of tiles that you get on a bathroom or kitchen wall, you will need tungsten carbide bits to do the job,(will also drill glass & mirrors) keep the bit well lubricated with water, if the floor tiles are the terracotta type a masonry bit should be ok

@richg wrote:
I am fitting a new toilet tomorrow and need to drill through the tiles to fit the pan to the floor and the cistern to the wall. I believe that you drill holes through tiles with a masonary bit not on hammer, slowly and stepping up in size until you reach the right size. is this correct as i have no spare tiles after i had to retile under my sink when i fitted new taps last week.
spot on m8 thumbs you may want to stick a piece of tap where you want to drill just to stop the drill bit from jumping across the tile till it has gone through thr glaze

dont listen to dave,use tape instead,it is easier to drill through Laughing

cheers for that. i will let you know how many tles i manage to crack later. just about to start.

good advice there,yep ive always used tape placed in an X fashion and always managed with a masonary drill bit start with a small one then go up a size thumbs

don't forget to knock the plug heads through the tile or they can crack when you tighten the screws in Surprised

turned out that the numb nuts who fitted the toilet before we lived here had not bothered to tile behind the cistern or under the crapper. so i had to but an MFC panel behind the cistern (to cover the lack of tiles as the new cistern was smaller) and a new tile under the loo (again new one smaller) but I left a bit where the toilet pan brackets fitted with no tile so i could screw straight into the floor.
just got the bath and sink to fit now. white toilet and beige sink and bath is not the best look.
cheers for all the advice it will be usefull for the next stage of bathroom refurb.