Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chirstain

Xray texture packs?

well i have some friends on this server once and they were using xray texture pack >.> and it was a faction server but anyways they said it was blocked

so what exactly is wrong with x-ray besides being able to find anything valuable really easily?

tgrosson wrote:
so what exactly is wrong with x-ray besides being able to find anything valuable really easily?

Where to begin, well as you mentioned it gave players a unfair advantage over others by being able to find resources instantly. Meaning they could have stacks of diamonds in just mere minutes. Besides that, it allows them to find players that are behind hills, underground and find any of there hidden underground bases instantly, giving them the ability to kill them or loot there stuff in non-LWC servers. Other xrays come with various other cheap tools that gave them countless advantages over other players which are more known as hacks. Some which give them PVP advantages like being able to hit them from farther distances, having knockback without even having the enchant, etc.

Other then that no, I don't see anything wrong with it.

DemonicD3 wrote:
tgrosson wrote:

Where to begin, well as you mentioned it gave players a unfair advantage over others by being able to find resources instantly. Meaning they could have stacks of diamonds in just mere minutes. Besides that, it allows them to find players that are behind hills, underground and find any of there hidden underground bases instantly, giving them the ability to kill them or loot there stuff in non-LWC servers. Other xrays come with various other cheap tools that gave them countless advantages over other players which are more known as hacks. Some which give them PVP advantages like being able to hit them from farther distances, having knockback without even having the enchant, etc.

Other then that no, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yeah, other than all that stuff, they seem fine.

Not going to lie, I did think about using X-Ray pack on our SMP, but I thought "Nawh that'll just get me in deep shiz" so I just went to another PvP/Faction server and as Demonic said, I have atleast 4 stacks of diamond, and over 5 stacks of iron blocks.. So it really does have a big unfair advantage to the other players that're legit.

So there's no question as to whether or not we would prevent it if we could. After all, it's practically the same thing as the Xray mod. I tried one myself on AITM (to test if it would work) and it worked pretty well, not as well as the mod, but enough to where it would definitely give players an unfair advantage.
My question is, is there a way to prevent people from using xray texture packs, or no?

chirstain wrote:
So there's no question as to whether or not we would prevent it if we could. After all, it's practically the same thing as the Xray mod. I tried one myself on AITM (to test if it would work) and it worked pretty well, not as well as the mod, but enough to where it would definitely give players an unfair advantage.
My question is, is there a way to prevent people from using xray texture packs, or no?

The current anti-xray which puts random fakes ores everywhere, I assume that works with texture packs as well. No reason it shouldn't. While that does not stop xrayers as they can just move from different resources to resources and maybe they will get lucky it does slow them down. Addition to this there are various mod plugins that allow you detect xrayers through various ways. Not saying what plugin AITM uses so any xrayers that check this topic can't use those details to try to work around that plugin but there are lots of ways of detecting xrayers and dealing with them.