Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoonie

April Chitter Chatter - Part 3

okay.. will just be tossing items back and forth so Mark can get another room, I knew if anyone could compact the info for me it would be you

We have two chambers in Parliament, the elections are for the MPs in the House of Commons who form the actual government, although their bills have to be referred to the House of Lords (who were originally hereditary peers, but are these days also ex politicians who are created lifelong peers by the government - as a reward and also to help ensure the government's bills get a good reception in the Lords)

We have 3 main political parties in England, plus regional national parties in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
Main parties are Labour (our last ruling party, who are traditionally left) Liberal Democrats - evolved from the old Liberals and Social Democrats, and Conservatives (Tories) who are traditionally right in their policies.

LOL, I'm giving it my best shot.

Our electoral system is called First Past the Post, which means the first party to have a majority of MPs, who couldn't be outvoted by all the others put together, will win.

Currently there're 646 constituences (sending one MP each) which includes Scottish and Welsh members, even though they have their own Parliament and Assembly (respectively)

Sinn Fein do not send their MPs to attend the Houses of Parliament and never vote.

One constituency has yet to vote as one of the candidates died during the campaign.

Labour lost MPs and 258 were elected (29% of the vote) the Lib Dems have 57 (23%) and the Conservatives now have 306 (36%) which is quite a convincing lead, but not enough to form a majority government...

so - since Friday, the big question has been, what would happen next?

ok that's a bit clearer. So this constituency which has not yet voted... can they swing things?

Sorry Frannie, was also opening a parcel (more of that in a mo)

Historically, the Lib Dems have only ever sided with Labour, but this time
a) their lead Nick Clegg (now our Deputy Prime Minister) said he couldn't work with the Labour Party Leader (ex Prime Minister Gordon Brown, who has now resigned both as PM and as Leader of the Parliamentary Labour Party)
b) A Lib/Lab pact still wouldn't have a majority (can't recall if they needed 323 or 326, we could do the maths if we cared)
c) the Tories offered a full negotiation on policy and also cabinet posts for Lib Dem MPs

the C is what's happened (last night) with a strong revision of policies and 5 Lib Dems now with senior Government posts.

The name of our Prime Minister is David Cameron, but he's not a Scot.
Both men are 43, Nick Clegg has 3 young sons and David Cameron had a son who died just over a year ago, a daughter and a son, and another on the way (could be September)

*now I need a drink, where's Wish when I need her? rofl

I'll pour while you type about the parcel and any more government happiness...
G & T for you?

Nope it's all been decided and new ministers appointed. Although, interestingly, both of the coalition parties are fielding candidates.

Also now the Labour party will be holding their own campaign and election to see who will be their new leader, and whoever that ends up being, will become The Leader of the Opposition, and will appoint his own Shadow Cabinet (opposition MPs for each department who effectively 'shadow' the Goverment minister in power)

I say 'he' as it seems unlikely there's going to be a female candidate.

moving as we speak... this made me need a smoke LOL

27th May for the constituency yet to vote, just seen not only a Lib Dem candidate but also a Liberal (as in old Liberal) one too.
It's been a Tory seat and the last MP is seeking re-election, so we shall see.

It's 326 seats in the House that make a majority btw, I checked.

How do you think I did there Frannie?

And perhaps, another time you can explain the Senate and the House of Representatives to me congratulations

I think you did well.... I will have to read a few more times to fully comprehend. I think our system is easier... but just as fraught with old hangings on

you do know I'm talking politics and not the election of a Pope, hey?

ROFL!

I suppose it's a bit like cricket, when you know it, you rattle things off the top of your head, but there're so many things you don't mention, because, to be fair, then we'd be here all night!

Thanks, of course I completely ignored the role of the Sovereign (it's 'Her Majesty's Government and each Parliament starts with the Queen's Speech where she sets out what the intentions of this session of Parliament are to be, i.e. the policies the Government will be working to implement)
and the Speaker...but I figure I don't really need to go there.

Many years ago, I went to the Houses of Parliament, had a tour (invite only) and drinks out on the terrace at the side of the Thames - it was lovely and very interesting.

on a lighter note.. i bought a new mouse in Chicago. I can't use the track pad, it cramps my hand.

this one has some blue ray tech in it. It's so awesome, doesn't require a pad and can work on any surface

the transceiver for it only sticks out about 1/4 inch from the usb port

how's that for getting your mind off government?

and while I am at it.. are we saving for anyone besdies Sharon this week?

Sounds great, not seen those - but then again I don't use a mouse with my laptop.

I was going to conclude on a lighter note to the political lesson I was going to say that (in my opinion only) we now have a better looking cabinet than the last lot! congratulations

and that's oue latest news in the States... the immigration problem

so you can manage visits with the track pad? I don't even know how to do that

I haven't even had time to type up the list, or even familiarise myself with all the items, but no I don't think so, and frankly, hardly anyone posts to C&G any more, so unless they donate (like Zog and Novia, Dot and DM) I'm not too fussed about it.

I have the stuff for Sharon am fairly sure. Anyway, Kitty's rooms 1& 2 have it all.

then I will not donate this week, unless you come up with a need. So many items and missing that week of visits caught up with me. Though I made a good deal yesterday for CC

That's a good cartoon.
Immigration policy was a big area for the two governing parties to negotiate over.

Yes, no problem at all using the track pad and arrow keys.

Good evening!

Very cold here, the weather is depressing...
But other then that, I'm doing fine, just had a fun day (went shopping this morning and in the afternoon Mom & I worked on a pressie for a friend)

Still waiting for my best friend to have her baby congratulations

hi BG... glad you're well.

My neice has made it past the first trimester. We've all been holding our breath. She had two misses last year, one in March and one in Sept, so fingers crossed. she will have this baby

She told me in march when I was there that she was pregnant. I'm honored because I knew even before my brother and his wife, but only by 1/2 hour.. and only because I wake up early. She used her birthday to announce

Hello BG mwah mwah x
It's really cold here, brrrrrr.

Aaaw baby news, Marie will soon be having her baby, remember Marie?
I remember as she's due around our YD's birthday (which is a week tomorrow)

and also Chip's wedding!

yes. Chipsters pet has been wearing her wedding gown all week. Can only imagine her excitement right now

Oh her birthday to announce it, that is really awesome!

Yeah, I've had it with this weather, I mean... it's May, we are supposed to be having spring, not fall weather! But then again, we have something called the ice saints (or something like that) which basically means that once these days are gone, it should be getting warmer. I hope.

Yes, I wonder how Marie and her bun are doing! I've been thinking about her a lot!

Oooh speaking of weddings, IMOM is going to buy me a new ring to celebrate our 30th anniversary, that's exciting (looking and choosing as much as getting)

did you just finish 30.. or is that coming next year? Our 31st is the 26th of this month

We need new wedding bands... I've not worn one in ten years... have not found it since we moved here. I just can't decide what I want. My stone was barely visible, but at the time we had decided we'd rather have a house than rings and we got into our first house 3 months after being married

Really snow, yes! I can remember one year having snow in June though - bizarre.

Frannie, 30 years married 26th of last month, 34 years together last November.
We were very measured, 2 years together - engaged/2 years later married/ 4 years on, a baby, nearly 4 years later another one ... we really do pace ourselves rofl.

and now. well just can't find one I like. I only want a band, no stone

I keep seeing one in the airplane magazine, then forget to tear the ad out when I see it. It has the date on it in roman numerals... very unique, but it's yellow gold and I want platinum or at the least white gold

Ha...I am here and so are you !

How is everyone ?

Snow ??? where ? OMG

Hiya BG / Frannie - how are you both ?
Frannie - thanks so much for the monster and stuff - the size of that thing made me LOL

Gill - how's the house ? Oooh a new ring - exciting and a lovely way to mark 30 years ! Anything in mind ?

Snow in June? Now that is crazy!

Sorry, got distracted by emails

WISH!!! How are you???
I'm fine thanks, just dreading this awful weather
(I actually can feel it bothers me by my teeth, where they got pulled out, strange huh)

Hehehe, BG - we've had snow in June last year I think !!
Bizarre on the teeth front - I guess your gums are still sensitive there.
It's raining here now and my mum's golf competition was halted yesterday due to heavy hail storms !!

I'm doing good an grateful to be at home for the first time in AGES!

hugs to you Wish.... yeah that's a huge plushie. Yesterday I left the PS window open, when I came back to look Misha was on the floor sleeping and it appeared that the giant plushie was laying on top of her. I was too slow in getting a pic though

Frannie, I was SO tiny when we married. I haven't worn my wedding ring for years as it's very heavy and it has a carved relief pattern all round, so it can't be resized.

I saw a ring I really liked, but it's on a USA website (for an English made ring) and I can't find it anywhere here, plus people seem to report problems with the website, so it's a bit of a non starter really, unless I could get it copied.

BBL, just have to go and check paint colours *sigh*

Yeah I was much tinier when I got married as well. happy to say he loves me no matter my size! but I have to start working on that again

Right back atcha Frannie I ran out of space and had to put the plushie in the garden.

Gill - see you later maybe. Re: the ring - get it copied for sure.
My engagement ring is a hybrid made from my Grandmothers solitaire and 2 Ceylon sapphires - mum saw a deisgn and took it to David Robinson who made a look-a-like - I love it

I was actually bigger than I am now when I got married - had to have my rings made smaller a few months ago Laughing

I guess they still are sensitive. Hurts badly when I brush my teeth, wish that would stop too, but I'm not going to complain as I am very happy I had them, or at least the first part, removed!

I think the plushies are getting bigger, you've seen the dalmatian already? Or the golden bear? Those are a lot bigger then the usual size

that golden bear, seems not right that they have been sold out right from the start. Did the UK folk even get theirs?