Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maltese

I'm afraid going to the elevator!

This is how my phobia started

I went to a hotel with my parents and it's our first night staying there, so we want to take the elevator up there....
Everyone entered the elevator and i'm the last
when I step in my body is just trapped.... squishing me...
II = elevator door, 0 = me
he condition:

>>II0II<<

Luckily my mom pressed the open button quick, so I can escape into the elevator....

That gives me a scare!
Now when I walk to an elevator at malls or hotel
I just zooms in first and quickly and I don't care if others make it or not as long as Im safe... but in the end they always get in

Any tips or suggestions to make this phobia go away....
This is really uncomfortable because my family is teasing me "village girl" because i'm afraid of going in the elevator!

bunnyfuzzyness wrote:
Do you have a fear of small spaces too? Or just the elevator ?

just the elevator, because I'm afraid i'm going to be squished again..

-Serenity- wrote:
elevator right? or escalator?

elevator!

I'm afraid of going into the elevator

But i'm comfortable with escalator...

Guest Guest

Seems like you have a small case of claustrophobia. That is the phobia of small areas and some people are seriously afraid of them.

Don't be afraid, next time you are planning to get into the elevator, enter fast, and you will be safe and sound Smile

>

Keep us updated

I really dont like elevators. Iv watched to many movies when they break....and had to many dreams that it has broken down and im in there for weeks!!.

But i know thats just a dream/fear etc and i got over it by just walking in there....I still go all stiff and if anyone moves in there then i go crazy....Weither they are with me or not.

I had this child jumping up and down in one once and i told him to keep still!! his mother started mouthing off at me so we had a full blown argument in the elevator haha...Was quite funny cause as she was walking away from me...We where yelling from oposite sides of the mall and it was funny to see people stop and look at the person who was speaking...Like owls HAHA...

Anyways back to you! Keep your finger on the bitton on the outside.... Iv seen manuy people do this if there are lots of people in the lift.... It WILL always open back up if your trapped.

Something on the inside of the door has to interlock to close shut...and until it is....it will NOT shut... So please dont be frightend about getting stuck...All you have to do is keep that button pressed and the door will not shut...

Lazar wrote:
Seems like you have a small case of claustrophobia. That is the phobia of small areas and some people are seriously afraid of them.

Don't be afraid, next time you are planning to get into the elevator, enter fast, and you will be safe and sound Smile

>

Keep us updated

Thanks!!! I will try....

When I was little I was afraid of escalators, but after using them over and over again, I got over my fear. That's my advice. Just keep using elevators and sooner or later you'll lose your fear, or when you see an elevator start thinking about something nice to calm you down.

I'm not sure what the elevators are like wher you live...so my advice is only based on the elevators here in the UK Ashamed

There are sensors in the doors which mean that they will not actually close fully on you...once the sensors pick you up then the doors will open (hope they have this where you live lol)

My piece of advice though...do you have a button in the elevator to hold the doors open, it might have a symbol like this on it
If you do then could you get someone to go in before you and hold this button down so you know that the doors wont close?

It doesnt sound like you are clautrophobic as you are fine once you get into the elevator so have no problems with enclosed spaces, its more of a problem getting in and out

Hope you manage to find a way to get over this hun xx