Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gaiamaiden

R.I.P. Rue McClanahan, 76

31078010.jpg
For anyone who has watched Golden Girls, Its a sad day today as Rue (Blanche) from the show has passed away.
McClanahan, remembered by many pop-culture junkies as the Golden Girls' Blanche Devereaux — TV's most-beloved retirement-community maneater — had had several health scares in the last year. The actress underwent heart bypass surgery in November 2009, and had a minor stroke while recovering from the operation.

Her Golden Girls co-star, Betty White, who is now the sole surviving star of the 1985-1992 sitcom, had been in touch with McClanahan following her health scares, and told reporters in an April 28 conference call that the last time she heard from McClanahan, her condition was hopeful. "She's just doing fine," White told reporters. "I talked with her. She's home and doing better and better and speech is all cleared up. She's in great shape."

McClanahan was born in Healdton, Okla., and began her acting career on the New York stage in the 1950s. In addition to her role on the Golden Girls, McClanahan also played several other memorable TV characters, including her role as Vivian Harmon on Maude, the best friend of the show's lead character — played by Bea Arthur, also her Golden Girls co-star. In 2005, she returned to the New York stage, playing the role of Madame Morrible in the Broadway production of Wicked.

oh my goodness I didn't recognize her name, but as soon as I saw your picture I couldn't believe it. I just adore the show golden girls and I always watch it when I catch it on tv. It's sad that she's past away.

its very sad Sad there is only one golden girl left now, Betty White who played Rose

That is sad, they all seemed like wonderful ladies! Betty White is so wonderful too, funny talented woman.

RIP

I watched a comedy act she and Betty White did once.....Actually I think they were caught off guard in a small desert town lol

it was the best and my dad even took his hands off my ears for a few moments congratulations

RIP Rue McClanahan

I loved the show and watched it through my teenage years with my mom. I can't believe Betty is the only GOLDEN GIRL left.

ive bought the Golden Girls series so i can always watch them, when i was ill with my legs for those 5 weeks, all i watched was the Golden Girls, they kept me laughing when i was in pain xx

Guest Guest
This was such sad news. There is only 1 actress left form the show now.

As so many actors and singers that I've loved gorwing up are passing away, it reminds me that I too am growing older... so I should enjoy every moment of life!