Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoonie

Drop in and say HI Thread

Was jsut looking around
thought Amtraks were decent priced, but seems the trains have increased.
Same dates and locations was like 167 for a train, and 32 hours on the train.

However..... American Airlines, same date and location, $135 dollars, 3 hours.
Might be worth to think about taking that option since the price isnt THAT different.... once you think aobut the food and time you will be wasting in the almost 24 hour difference. : D

How are you today??

Hello Kijo

I'm doing good thanks. How about you?

Yes there will be lots to take into consideration - this was just an idea.
Of course I would rather fly as it's shorter and it will let me spend more time with Mary

I was just looking at coach from Jacksonville to Washington DC and the first stop on that journey is Savannah congratulations

as in oyu have a layover in Savannah??

you could always look at landing in savannah makes a price difference.
you could always ride with with me down to FL, worse case scenario, oyu would have to spend a ngiht in my tiny apartment.

I think there was 15 minutes break in Savannah.

Did you relief get to work on time yesterday and you weren't too late for your "appointment"?

I would be coming from Chicago to Tanya's (or yours) - not sure if/how would that be doable but sounds interesting - no I don't mind spending a night in your apartment. It can't be worse than my room - I have a double bed and just enough room to get around it but not much else (as one UK saying goes - there is not enough room to swing a cat Laughing)

Speaking of cats - yours is absolutely georgeous!

Chicago to Savannah - 22 hours with one change

I didnt have an appointment, per say, just somewhere to be.
she was NOT on time, and I left the hotel at 7:00.
I texted her letting her know, its not my fault she can't be on time.
the management here is AWFUL about these sort of things.
Kind of need to leave on time today as well, but dont wanna push it, will stay til 7:05 at the latest.

The only thing with me, (as of right now...) I can't meet you up like... on a wednesday or something. Friday morning at 7AM would be my vacation starting point (again, this is if everything is still the smae in a year) so you would only have to be cautious about that sort of thing.
If oyu do end up staying in Savannah, I could show you around, its a very beautiful city, and one of the most haunted in the US, if you are into that.
Tanya might meet us up in SAV for a day or something and we could take pics of the city, then take a midnight haunted walking tour, only if oyu are into that sort of thing.

I have a king sized bed that you could sleep on, and I could take the spare, and if TT comes, I think she has a blow up mattress we could set up somewhere as well. tight and cozy.
So its very doable. all up to you and what you would like to do. : D

thanks. My cat is such a brat though, but I love him dearly!!!!

Oh that does sound interesting!

That would be awesome thing to do! I think I will re-plan my travel so I can have a stop over in Savannah. I didn't plan that before because I though you said that there is nothing to see in Savannah.

I have not given much though to when I would come to each place - only thinking that it would all happen in first 3 weeks of June as I know Mary got something at the end of June and the fairs are lower is my travelling happens before 29 June (at least for the flights in and out of country).

Of course I will try to plan everything to make it as easy on you guys as I can - I don't want to mess up with your lives too much. I am very grateful for the generous offers from you to put me up and show me around.

I have a cat back home - he is short hair siamese. He's over 15 years old now but in very good shape, still all his teeth apart from 1 but he's got some kidney problems so need to be fed special food most of the time.
and yes he's also brat - my sister has to deal with him

Siamese.... they are in a class of thier own.
i made him wear a harness the whole weekend, he did not care fo rthat much, and sis not stop him from getting stuck somewhere I couldnt get him out of still!!!

but he had a great time, and did not talk to me for 2 days once getting home

Well, I say there i nothing to see..... but really I guess there is.. alot of history and pirates and ghosts and whatnot. goole it and see if it seems interesting enough for you. wouldnt mind taking you about if it is something that you would like to do.
Dunno if you are into art, but there is a pretty decent art museum here too..... not that it compares to anything you are used to, so might not be worth your time......

alright well time to go, do some research and we will talk more tomoroow!!!

Kijo - I would love for you to show me around! There is only one way to find out if I will like it.

I'm not sure what you think I'm used to when it comes to art - I'm very open minded when it comes to lots of stuff and still trying to find my feet when it comes to what I like and what I don't.

One of the reason I will be travelling to so many different places instead of getting people to fly to one place to see me is that I want to make most out of my time there - I want to see as much as I can because who know when/if I'll come back to US.

hello Tan

out of your bat cave
(sorry bad joke)

yes still here

How are you?

yes, the bat cave is open to the sunlight right now ... at least I think it is the sun ... haven't seen it this early in a while!!

I am good. listening to my cats eat, it is making me hungry... Smile

any joy with re-homing the kittens?

no.. I am actually kind of afraid to. They are wild and I am afraid that someone will not be willing to take the time to tame them and just turn them loose somewhere after a couple of days

last night I held one for aobut 15 minutes and it growled at me the whole time

so what is the alternative? you becoming "crazy cat lady"?

I have some ( obviously ) that need to be fixed, but I am working on it. since they are outside cats, they just dissappear sometimes and I never see them again, dead or alive.

good luck with that!
I've never seen outside cat - just domesticated ones

well, these are domesticated as far as how the look, I just can't catch them. I have several solid white ones, several orange tabby's, 4 solid black, 2 black and white, and a few other assorted colors ....

I love them all and I know that if someone is willing to work with them, they would be great cats, it is just finding the person willing to do that.

yeah I know that's the hard bit.

I didn't realise you had that many - good thing you live in a house with garden Smile

yes, we have almost 7 acres of land for them to spread out over and we have woods beside of us

plentiful wild life I would imagine then

yes it does - it takes me to your fb page

tyvm ... I wasn't sure if it worked . I fixed it after the mix-up, but wasn't sure if it had been checked yet. and you know how hyper they are here about that ... congratulations

I'm getting so excited about this trip and worried at the same time.
So much needs to be planned, discussed and worked out - so many things could possibly go wrong but so many things will be wonderful

anytime you travel, there is lots to go wrong, but you must think of this trip as visiting relatives.. You will have a great time!! I just wish that I could be with you to see everyone .

yes that would be great if that would be possible.

I'm thinking of taking 2-3 weeks off - that should allow me to spend 3 days with each of you and give some time for travelling in between.

Now I will be adding Savannah to my travel plan - not sure if you read back what Kijo said about the haunted walks etc. That sound like interesting thing to do and it will be another pin on my map

and it would be lovely seeing you in London too. London is a beautiful city with so much to see and so much to do but it's also quite pricey when it comes to visiting atractions Sad

That will be a wonderful vacation.

We had lots of fun with the girls when they came. We did not have time to go to Savannah to see where Kijo's city, but BG and sis had a very limited time here. Kijo and I are happy to share time. I will be the first to tell you that I live in the middle of no where. We have beaches nearby, and other fun things to do. by the time you get to me, you will probably need a good rest .

btw, Speaking for myself and probably Frannie, you are welcome to do laundry at my house when you come. That way you won't take home a suitcase full of dirty clothes ...

I am so excited about seeing London. I will definitely be picking your brain about what to do. I don't want to spend a fortune on this trip, but I also know that it is going to not be cheap.

thank you Tanya - you have no idea how much I appreciate all the kindness and help from all of you.

Just the idea that you are willing to let me - a stranger - to you homes is so overwhelming and heart touching - I will want to re-pay you in some way!

I really don't mind where you live as I don't go to see your place exclusively - the fact that you (and Kijo most likely) are going to be there is the most important factor. I could happily sleep in a tent in a garden if I get to finally meet you

TanyaRC wrote:
I am so excited about seeing London. I will definitely be picking your brain about what to do. I don't want to spend a fortune on this trip, but I also know that it is going to not be cheap.

Iguess that all depend on what kind of things you want to see/are interested in.
If you happy to see famous buildings from outside and don't have the need to go in then it would save lots of cash.

I don't know how the admission prices compare to US but you are looking at average of £15 per person per palce but I'm sure there will be things you might want to give a miss - Madamme Taussauds being one of them (£23 per person) but there are discounts you could use - for example if you take a train (which you probably will unless you stay somewhere in central London) you could get 2 for 1 on some attractions. Went to Tower of London with Mr B like that few moths ago

I think that we can do a bit better than a tent in the garden ... maybe the motor home in the back yard?? Laughing jk ....

I have lots of room for guests and love the idea that you would come all this way to see me!!

I am perfectly happy to look at the outsides of buildings. I need to do some reserch and see what there is that I might want to do in London and then ask you if it is worth while. OH is interested in cathederals (sp). You have so much history there that is so much older than ours.

That's true and yes good idea would be to read up on it on the internet to see what would you like to see when here.

There are some things that most of tourists would do - Buckingham Palace (where the Queen lives), Leicester Square with Nelson's collumn, Big Ben and Westminster Abbey with Houses of Parliament, Picaddily Circus (with statue of Eros), Tower Bridge and Tower of London (need to go inside to see crown jewells). St Paul's Cathedral (never been inside myself). These are things that everyone tell you you must see when in London even though I would give Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus a miss as they are not that intetesting in my opinion.

Lots of museums and some galleris are free to go in though.

sounds fun. I would like to ride one of the double decker busses if the weather permits. I have heard of the crown jewels and think that they sound amazing.

I am very interested in Victorian England. so things related to that would be something that I would like to see. I like free stuff!! congratulations I am also very fond of special offers that you find in travel magazines.

now are you talking about open top double decker? those are used for turists only.

Regular double decker on the other hand is just normal public transport use by millions daily (yes I was too excited taking them during my first few months in Lodnon)

I like free stuff too and could look up some discount deals on sightseeing in run up to your visit - depending on what you like to do and how much time you'll have

I like the enclosed one. but I was thinking maybe it might be a good way to see the sights in a tourist bus like that

we are planning on 3 or 4 days in London. it will probably be Wend-Sat? I would like to find out if there are any festivals around close enough to go to, but that will have to wait till we get a date picked out.

they have the open top one for turists and you have a guide who tells you what you seeing - not sure how much it cost.

The closed ones are running all over London - hundreds of them going different routes and if you know where you going (of someone tells you) you can use them do do your sightseeing at fraction of cost of guided tour - just get "travelcard" - it's a ticket that s valid on all buses, trains, underground and tram in London for a day or how ever long you buy it for ( 3 days, week, month, year) - it's very good value for money if you are getting around a bit.

there will be 2 bank holiday in May - first Monday and last Monday.
Festivals in May? Not sure to be honest - what kind of festival you have in mind?

I like riding the busses. I don't necessarily need a travel guide. As long as the locals won't be upset if my face is plastered to the window.... congratulations

this might give you an idea of what kind of things are happaning in UK in May - this was May 2010 but it's not just London

(http://www)ukstudentlife.com/Ideas/Events/May.htm

TanyaRC wrote:
I like riding the busses. I don't necessarily need a travel guide. As long as the locals won't be upset if my face is plastered to the window.... congratulations

no they are used to it! so many tourist do it every day that none of the "locals" pay any attention