I know you’ll make it right
You’re all I need tonight

Bridge:
I believe that you can save me
And you’ll never let me fall
I’ll believe in what you show me
Maybe there’s a hero in us all....

{Lyrics courtesy of DCO}

I think this is going to be one of my favorites. It was the 1st that would play for me, and I immediately liked it.

...Need to let you know
I'm not gonna climb down
Down off of these clouds
All these heroes come and go
You're still standing

You teach me to rise up
To open my eyes up
All these heroes come and go
You're still standing

Guest Guest
Posted by Heliotrope on DCO

Spoiler:

Wow, these lyrics are amazing, I LOVE HEROES, since I saw the name I knew I would love this song, and this lyrics and the snipets just confirmed it. Awww Love

This would be a great song for David to sing during Idol Gives Back next year-hint, hint Wink

Guest Guest

This is my favorite..... Awww Love

This song has definitely grown on me.

I love these lyrics:

"Pull me in like you were made for me
I’m losing faith in gravity"

"When the world’s confusing, I don’t care
I’ll crawl into your atmosphere"

Awww Love

^I love those lines too, Jenn! Very Happy
I wanted to get a dog tag necklace for myself that said "You teach me to rise up, to open my eyes up" because I just love this song, and I can relate to that line. The Wal-Mart here had one of those dog tag machines, but they took it down. Crying

Guest dawtreecookie

I haven't talked about this song enough! It's in my Top 3 with MS and ADAM! cheers

This is another one that makes me really really happy.

This one is in my top 3 too. I LOVE it.

This is the one song that makes me want to sing at the top of my lungs - even more than ADAM - I just can't help but singing out loud everytime I listen to it and that includes when I am in public. I have stopped counting the times I got weird looks from people for this reason (which is something I don't understand, by the way: what is wrong with singing in public?? I love when people do that, it makes me happy).

"You're all I need to know" is my favourite line I think. It's very simple but it means so much. Awww Love

Guest dawtreecookie

I love this part

I believe that you can save me
And you’ll never let me fall
I’ll believe in what you show me
Maybe there’s a hero in us all....

Saying "there's a hero in us all" is something I would find cheesy in any other context, but he somehow makes it beautiful and sincere and inspiring Awww Love

And of course the chorus kicks all kinds of ass. Happy happy happy song Very Happy

This is definitely my favorite song off the album! Here's why...follow me to my little dream world for a moment...

Way back in August at the OKC show I gave David a gift. It was a Willow Tree figurine called "Hero". It was in memory of my dad who passed away right after the AI finale. He was a very unselfish person who lived his life in debt because he was always helping out those around him. I wrote a rather long letter to David to explain the gift and the impact that he (David) had in my life at such a sad time. The full letter is posted in the tour gifts section. You can read it here...
http://wordnerds.omgforum.net/tour-gifts-discussion-f19/my-gift-for-david-in-ok-city-long-post-t4336.htm

So I'm touched by the part that says "you teach me to rise up, to open my eyes up" because I feel like that's what my dad did, he opened his eyes to the needs of those around him and rose up to meet them.
But, the part of the song that gets me the most is the bridge. The same part Dawtreecookie refers to in her post. I told David something like that in my letter. Here is a piece of it.
Quote :
My father was a Vietnam veteran who retired after 20 years of service in the military. He had a service with full military honors, including flag folding and 21-gun salute. While planning the service, I came across this Willow tree figurine “Hero”. I bought 3 of them, one for me and one for each of my brothers. I look at it as a reminder not only of his service to our country, but of his service to others. It is my reminder that there is a little “hero” in all of us, if we look for it. I have seen it in you; it is what draws me to you.
Sometime in July, I realized the last show of the tour was Tulsa. Yay! Then I saw the date, 9/13/08. September 13th was my father’s birthday. My idol experience had just come full circle. I decided that day that I would spend my “hero’s” birthday with you, celebrating and reveling in your joy and success. So on the last stop of the tour, when you dedicate “My Hero” to Adam, know that I will be there (floor2, row N!) dedicating it to my hero as well and celebrating his birthday!
And so, the most unique and thoughtful gift I could give to you is the hero figurine that reminds me everyday to try to be a hero to someone else. I learned that from my dad; your actions this season have reinforced it for me.
Your generous spirit and humble heart will take you far in life. I truly wish you all the best life has to offer. You have worked hard for it, enjoy.

So, I have NO IDEA when this song was written. But in my little fantasy dream world, I like to believe there is a connection. There was an interview with DC in Kansas City the day after the OKC show and he referenced the connection to the show and people's personal lives. I think he said something like "it's gifts like that...that mean so much" (bad memory here , but it was something like that!) That interview convinced me that he actually read my letter that explained the gift.

So, everytime I hear "Heroes", I think of my dad, the gift, and a very special, thoughtful, musician and songwriter who has a way of making us all feel like we are on this ride with him. He really is Mr Sensitive, huh?!

Guest dawtreecookie

Wow, that's beautiful.... SmileCrying

I don't doubt at all that David read your letter and internalized it. You can tell it's gifts like that that mean the most to him.

I absolutely love that line in the song, and yeah, there are so many more stories like yours behind it too.

What a wonderful story! I remember you posting your letter after you met David. It made me cry. And it's really amazing how David can make us feel such a connection to his music, and to other people. Awww Love

Awwww cryinb, that is such a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

This is one of my favorites off the album. When I first heard it, I misheard the chorus as "All these heroes come and go, BUT you're still standing." And I thought that was a very powerful lyric, suggesting that you've stood the test of time and really are a true hero.

Guest dawtreecookie
Awwww cryinb, that is such a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us.

This is one of my favorites off the album. When I first heard it, I misheard the chorus as "All these heroes come and go, BUT you're still standing." And I thought that was a very powerful lyric, suggesting that you've stood the test of time and really are a true hero.

I wish they were saying "but" too!! That's sort of the way I decided to take it, since I like it more that way. I sort of injected the but in Razz

Wait, they don't say "but" ??? How did I not know about this? I was sure they did and I do sing it all the time!

Cryinb , your story is so moving. I remember reading it and your letter during the AI tour. Beautiful letter and present. And David probably was inspired by it for Heroes.

This is hilarious! I read the post about the "but" and I thought...huh? I had to listen this morning on my way to work REALLY loud. I always sing the but! Hee Hee Your definitely not alone. I knew some of you had read my letter way back then. I get laughed at by the family, but I can't help but feel there is a connection! (even if it's only in my fantasy world!)

This is my fave song (ah heck I love all of em) because of its simple lyrics and its huge potential to be a soundtrack (I'm a sucker for songs in movies). Makes me feel I can do anything.... Like lift a bus or something... Very Happy

ETA: There's a but????? I never notice one....

Guest dawtreecookie
This is my fave song (ah heck I love all of em) because of its simple lyrics and its huge potential to be a soundtrack (I'm a sucker for songs in movies). Makes me feel I can do anything.... Like lift a bus or something... Very Happy

ETA: There's a but????? I never notice one....

Haha that's so cute! I agree. It really pumps me up! I think this would make a great single..

Funny Heroes moment / Cookifying my family moment from yesterday. I was just kind of singing the chorus of Heroes to myself - I'm not gonna come down, down off of these clouds, all these heroes come and go. And then my mom randomly sings "you're still standing" cheers

Tehehehehe it was too cute! I love cookifying my family. My mom is totally learning all the songs - just from me listening to them when I'm on the computer or whatever.

Oh Dawtree, I love the story with your mum.

Dementor, I absolutely love what you say about this song making you want to lift a bus or something, this is exactly how I feel.

I sing along to all the songs on the album but, this one, I really sing it LOUD. It might sound corny but I feel so alive when I listen to it, I don't know how to describe it better.

I am building a reputation of complete freak around Montreal, because of that song. Because when I say I sing it loud, that includes in public, walking in the streets, in the shops, on the bus..

But do I care? Mmm..Now, let me think....Oh no, that's right, I don't give a flying Censored

Yay Salome! cheers I blast this one and sing loud too. How can you not? LOL. I also do it with ADAM and Breathe Tonight. Although it gets interesting when I try to do that last "aliiiiiiiiive!" Shocked

Guest dawtreecookie
@Salome73 wrote:

I am building a reputation of complete freak around Montreal, because of that song. Because when I say I sing it loud, that includes in public, walking in the streets, in the shops, on the bus..

But do I care? Mmm..Now, let me think....Oh no, that's right, I don't give a flying Censored

Hopefully no one is going between Ottawa and Montreal, because they might find you and me doing the same thing. Shocked And they'd be all horrified, like "there's more of them?"

I haven't gotten up the courage to sing it loud on the bus yet. That would be an interesting thing to do though.... Maybe you should come here and we can do it together. And we'll both get taken away by a little white bus. And it'll be wonderful. Heart

Aw, I really hope this song becomes a single eventually.

@cryinb wrote:
This is hilarious! I read the post about the "but" and I thought...huh? I had to listen this morning on my way to work REALLY loud. I always sing the but! Hee Hee Your definitely not alone. I knew some of you had read my letter way back then. I get laughed at by the family, but I can't help but feel there is a connection! (even if it's only in my fantasy world!)
Oh No, i don't think it's a fantasy world i think he might have used your words i believe that there is a connection i can feel it. Very Happy Your story touched me so much it's reminds me of my grandpa. Crying non-stop

@Salome73 wrote:

Hopefully no one is going between Ottawa and Montreal, because they might find you and me doing the same thing. Shocked And they'd be all horrified, like "there's more of them?"

I haven't gotten up the courage to sing it loud on the bus yet. That would be an interesting thing to do though.... Maybe you should come here and we can do it together. And we'll both get taken away by a little white bus. And it'll be wonderful. Heart

Aw, I really hope this song becomes a single eventually.

LMAO. We should totally get on a bus together and sing the song together!

I just did my little singing on the bus a few hours ago. My stupid MP3 player refused to work and I really wanted to hear Heroes so I decided to sing it. Ok, it's not even comparable to when David sings it in my ears but at least, that's that. LOL Face

So I'm in this weird sappy mood tonight. Partly PMS I'm sure. LOL. Anyway, this song has grown to be one of my favorites on the album. It puts the biggest smile on my face. He opened the show Friday night with Heroes, and I love when he does that. Your heart is already racing, waiting for him to come on. And then they go right into this song. AHH! It's almost too much. I feel like my heart will explode. Wow. I need to chill out. Or cry.

Guest dawtreecookie

PMS, me too.

This is one of my faves too. And it made me happy to hear Dave include it as his favourites/the "cornerstones" of the album - Permanent, BBS, ADAM, and Heroes. Good Dave. Smile

This song makes me feel like I can lift a bus. Maybe that was the effect he was going for with the whole super hero thing.

Guest dawtreecookie

Only have one thing to say.

AC in 2 days.

Crying non-stopHeartCrying non-stopHeartCrying non-stop

*runs over like a madwoman to the ADAM thread to say the exact same thing*

Guest dawtreecookie

This song is so fucking amazing live. Awww Love

I have a cheesy Heroes-related moment from my AC trip though. On the plane ride on the way there, the plane was climbing into higher altitudes, and I was listening to DCTR.

Then, as the plane pulls above the clouds, and all you can see is a sea of white, fluffy cotton ball clouds and blue sky, Mr. Cheeseball David sings "I'm not gonna come down... down off of these clouds."

*facepalm*

It was one of the cheesiest, "movie" moment of my life. I think I laughed out loud, shook my head, and skipped to the next song. Really David? Really? Suspect

It was pretty funny though.

Awww!! *loves cheese*
I smile extra hard hearing this song, because it makes me think of his shows. I love how he opens with it usually. They come out onstage and you can't see them unless someone flashes a camera or something. And you hear the music starting, and the lights come up, and HEROES!!!!

Awww LoveAwww LoveAwww Love

Guest dawtreecookie

AHHHH!!!!! *heart fluttering* SO EPIC! It just makes my heart/chest swell. Awww Love

This song makes me smile. Very Happy
Me too Very Happy It's a really great concert song, I love how he loves it when we sing the "you're still standing" part back to him Awww Love

^ Me too Jess! I always point to him, haha. Heart

And I'm glad to see you found the Music & Lyrics section. Great It's nice to come in here and talk about the songs when other things seem to distract us from it.

Yes it is!! I just discovered this folder and I love it! Not that I don't like discussing all the other stuff too, but sometimes it's nice to just talk about the music.

Guest dawtreecookie

^ I like to point at him in Declaration at "the only thing I see is you, it's yooooooooou!" In between singing and bouncing around...

But I guess I'm in the wrong thread for that. Wink

This is my song of the day. Awww Love I hadn't been listening to DCTR much lately (oops), but I put it in on the way to work. And this song never fails to touch me, to make me smile, and sing as loud as I can. I love it so damn much. Very Happy

Guest dawtreecookie

This made me so warm and fuzzy. Heart

Isn't it amazing? Awww Love I have chills right now. Such a beautiful, uplifting song and I LOVE it. Always makes me feel happy and hopeful. Very Happy

Guest dawtreecookie

This song = the love of my life. Well, one of them. Very Happy

Nothing beats the feeling when I see it live. Like I'm invincible.

Sigh... I loved this in Charlotte. The opener of the last show.

Awww Love

I got emo during Heroes in Charlotte! The first damn song, LOL. But I just love it so much, and I thought to myself "this is the last opening I'll see for a long time". The beginning of the show, yet also an ending. It was just special. Plus I love singing "you're still standing" to Dave. Heart

Guest dawtreecookie
Oh yeah, it was such a love fest, all the pointing and crowd singing. I'm surprised he didn't break down earlier, lol.

All these heroes come and go, but you're still standing. Sigh.