Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

"MAKE BELIEVE" lyrics and discussion

Guest Guest
Here is the place to discuss the NEW song!

When can we go back to the first time we met?
Just a glance in a room
kept us strong through the gloom
I still remember tellin' you that your smile
It could light up the sky
when the night died
You know how we were
but now we're always so unsure...

*Can we MAKE BELIEVE, that we still believe, in anything?
You know that all that I am is in the palm of your hand
So make believe that you give a damn
And make believe

Can't help but wonder if you think of me now
Walkin' barefoot in the snow
you knew just the way to show
me you weren't afraid of living if it made you alive
Just the air and my heart
weren't enough to help
that feeling survive
So tell me where does love go when it dies?

And make believe

*Can we MAKE BELIEVE, that we still believe, in anything...
And make believe

Just dropping by to post you the links to the MP3. I did both of them with the best audio I found of the song, it was recorded by lovethemusic with her MP3 Player--no weird bass on them, as I saw on the videos.

I did 2 different versions of it because I bet some people--like me--just want to put it on the iPod without banter, but the people who went to the concert probably want to keep the version with the banter.

So here they are:
With no banter: bit.ly 2IXAPB
With previous and post banter: bit.ly 1RImPE

Guest Guest
Where can I hear it? Is there a vid of it or something?

The videos are in the tour thread for last night St Louis but here is another one by blounderground-good sound!

Guest Guest
Yeay, new lyrics to decipher/talk about!!! Thanks Mae for the mp3s and Barbs for posting the video!

This is what I have so far:

When did we go back to the first time we met
Just a glance in the room
kept us_____(???) through the moon (???)
I still remember telling you that your smile
In the nighttime _________(???)
But now we're always so unsure.

Chorus:
Can we make believe
That we still believe in anything.
You know that all that I am
It's in the palm of your hand
so make believe that you give a damn
Just (well?) make believe.

I still remember that look in your eye
walking barefoot in the snow
you knew just the way to show me, you
afraid of loving if it made you alive.
Just the air in my heart were
Enough to help that feeling survive.

So tell me ____(???) it's over when it died.

Repeat chorus 2X

I'm sure others are more on top of it, but that's what I could hear!!

LOVE the second verse. Soooo David through and through.

Thanks, Barb, for creating this thread!

Here's the best audio I've found yet. The sound mix is off in a lot of them and it's hard to hear the instrumentation, but in this one it's a lot better:

Posting again with my excessively long analysis of the song -- cross-posting from the DCO music thread (which I encourage you all to visit anyway!).

As I am wont to do by now, I've put on my analytical hat and am ready to dig in. Here goes:

1. The song did remind me of Souvenir, at first. I think Scott mentioned somewhere (on Twitter, perhaps?) that he was hearing Straight Ahead in it, and some have also heard echoes of Honest. Personally, I hear all of that -- as well as some of Searchlights, believe it or not -- the second line of the song has got the same melody as "You make me fall forever." None of this is a bad thing, necessarily. We're seeing the development of a musical style, and that's a pretty cool thing to witness, I think. The melody has enough uniqueness to it and it's catchy as anything -- almost sing-songy in places, but I don't think that detracts. (If anything I think that's possibly what might be reminding people of Souvenir.)
2. Other things I liked -- of course -- include the guitar solo. Good stuff. And the countermelodies in the guitar lines in the song (more on this below).
3. Does anyone else think that an acoustic version of this song would be amazing? I'm hearing this underlying mournful melody that would really come out and shine in that kind of arrangement. Yeah, I know that this would be WAY into the future, but I'm saying it now anyway. I would LOVE to hear this acoustic. I think it would have the same effect on people as Souvenir acoustic did -- i.e. turn the nay-sayers into converts.
4. The similarities to the other songs, especially Searchlights, lead me to think that this might not have been a collaboration. It's enough like the songs in AH, and like Honest, to lead me to think this is a direct progression in his solo songwriting. No idea if I'm right, but I'm throwing that out there. Good luck to our detectives in the Discography world finding out the true story.

And here's where I get critical, but I don't think I'm being out of line. 'Cause here's the thing -- I think it's a good song. I think we're also at the mercy of video sound and the sound mix, and just like I've learned from IDIYA, I've also learned to hold back from deciding if I finally dislike a song until it's been performed at least 5 times, lest I eat my words yet again, lol.

I've listened to about 4 different versions of the video, and this one makes my point. This particular video, by astepp11, was positioned off to the side, but far back enough that the speakers don't mess up the sound quality. The result is that, unlike the earlier versions I listened to, the recording doesn't sound like it's being overtaken by rhythm guitar. I had been reading back in this thread, and I apologize if I'm misattributing, but I think it was YaminaC who at some point mentioned that a lot of DC's music is a little thick in the middle -- you hear the rhythm guitar coming through more strongly than anything else. The result here is that any backup vocals (I didn't hear any), countermelodies, and bass lines all get drowned out, and personally, I find that the disparate elements of DC's songs are what actually make his songs great, and that they have the potential to become mediocre in my eyes if I don't hear these elements. Hence my not loving Souvenir when it first came out, until the sound mix was tweaked enough that I could hear everything else going on in it. But in the version I linked to above, you can hear all the other elements of the song, and I found myself really really liking it. Since the camera position was not in the optimal location for the best sound mix, though, I have to wonder if that's really what the song sounds like -- because if it doesn't, I think it would benefit tremendously from some tweaks to the mix. There's a lot more going on that's a little hard to hear otherwise, and it's worth listening to. Before I heard this version, I was actually in doubt as to whether there were any underlying riffs to the song, or if it was just all being played in chords. (This confused me, too, as it seems like his compositional process is to start with a riff of some sort, and if there's no riff, then what exactly was he hearing when he started writing the melody, yk?) But there are riffs -- you can hear them, albeit in the background -- and I'd love them to come to the fore. It's all the countermelodies and the complexity that really attracts me to the music and I *want* to like this song more -- it's just not being shown in its optimal light at the moment, to me anyway.

And with that, I leave it to the rest of you, and to our lovely friends over at the Lyrics thread, who apparently have their work cut out for them. (But I will say that it's actually kind of interesting to be able to analyze a song purely for its musical qualities without the lyrics coloring our perceptions... not something that I expect to happen often, but for once I'm not quite so annoyed with not being able to hear the words off the bat. I expect that to change soon, lol.)

Who's next? Smile

Wow, Cimorene. You've given me a lot to think about. I do agree with you that we need to hear the guys "flesh out" the song more. I'm sure they were all nervous with this first performance -- it was obvious that David was, and his voice wavered more than once.

From the arrangement and also the amount of lyrics that I've been able to decipher, especially the second verse, it sounds like David to me. More similar to his AH music and Honest than anything on DCTR. It's not as sing-song-y and catchy as some of his DCTR music and contains more complicated arrangements to me. What I really would have LOVED is a bridge! There really isn't one in this song. It's verse, chorus, verse, chorus, chorus. The bridge is often when the brilliance of a song really comes into play and a song can really soar (see Anodyne), and I feel that there is a hole in the middle of the song.

That being said, I really can't offer any more in depth interpretations or anything like that until I hear it a few more times in a few different situations, hopefully live on Thursday. I really hope they will put it into a regular rotation to work out the kinks and to keep trying it out. Anything new is really exciting, though, and I hope to see his work continue on this path.

Also, Cimorene, an acoustic version of this would be amazing. I think it would really change the interpretation.

Guest Guest
Great insights, Cimorene! I agree with you... my first thought on hearing was an AH, Souvenir mix, with a little bit of Honest tossed in for good measure.

And I agree, the guys tend to play with and improve the songs as they go along, so it's hard to tell from this first performance... but I really, really like it so far.

I hear David, in both the lyrics (as far as I can tell what they say) and the music. I hear AH with some "progression" as David loves to put it. I'd love to know who wrote this... David and Neal? David alone? David and someone else? All I know is that I'd be shocked if David wasn't part of it. You can just hear him in it too clearly.

Guest dawtreecookie

Aw... I haven't read any replies yet... Just watched cimorene's video.

My face looks like a little this right now --> Awww Love / Crying I'm all mushy...

I'm just so happy to hear a new song, and from what I've made out of the lyrics and what I can hear of the music, it sounds like a winner. Smile

Guest Guest

The one line sounds like~

"So tell me where does love go when it died."

Great discussion!! Awww Love

ShookByCook wrote:
The one line sounds like~

"So tell me where does love go when it died."

Great discussion!! Awww Love

It look like thats what he is saying too if u look at his lips

I can't analyze like most of you can, but I freaking love this song. It is sooooooooo David, it does remind me alot of his pre-idol stuff. If this is any indication as to what the new cd will be like then I am even more stoked for it. THIS IS DAVID COOK..it is much more rocking then the stuff on DCTR! Can't wait for more. This was the first time he played it I am sure if(please let it) makes it onto the record it will be tweaked more. The song rocks!

This is the lyrics that I could decipher with help of others deciphering but it's a little shaky still

When do we go back to the first time we met
Kept us strung through the gloom
In the night time
Oh though how we were
But now we’re always so unsure

Can we make believe
That we still believe in anything
Is in the palm of your hand
And make believe

I still remember that look in your eyes
Walking barefoot in the snow
You knew just the way to show me
You weren’t afraid of living if it made you alive
Just the air in my heart
Weren’t enough to help that feeling survive
So, tell me where does love go when it dies.

Can we make believe
That we still believe in anything
Just make believe

Guest Guest

I'm loving this song! Can't wait to hear it on the next album! Fingers Crossed!!!

I have just listened it for the first time - a few minutes ago....
And I Awww LoveAwww Love ...

I'm not a music expert like Cimorene - who made an amazing analysis of the song !!! Congrats dear !!! ClappingI'm Not Worthy!

But it seems for me something like a mix of Straight Ahead (specially the guitar notes at the beggining) and We're only Honest/Souvenir !!!

Fingers Crossed!!! it could be at his next album !!!

I loved this verse... it's so beautiful !!!

I can just imagine the look on David's face the next time they play the song and half of the audience is already singing along. Awww LoveAwww LoveAwww Love

I really want to know who wrote it. It's obvious that David is all over it, and I would LOVE if it were just David and Neal, but there could be someone else in there, too.

Thanks for filling in some of the lyrics for me... makes more sense now! I'm sure there are still to further clarify, but I think we're 99% there!

Guest dawtreecookie

From the lyrics, I don't really see Neal in there.

So it does remind me a bit of Souvenir, in sentiment and structure and lyrics somewhat. But I don't really like Souvenir, and MB sounds more pleasing to my ears. Smile

I like the music. Guitar solo Drool

I'm not sure if the part at 3:15 would be considered the bridge, but that's one thing I think he needs to change up in his songs. Practically all the songs on DCTR have that point near the end where it's just mostly vocals and light drums and light picking but all the instruments mostly go away. I don't know what he could do in place of this "element" of his songs (people have mentioned Anodyne.. which doesn't follow any conventional song structure at all and that's one of the things that makes it amazing), but that "no music" point in the bridge of all his songs makes his music sound sort of repetitive to me. I feel like he needs to do something really different rather than always following that formula.

The lyrics aren't bad. I like "I still remember that look in your eyes, walking barefoot in the snow" and wish that type of creative imagery was more prominent. It's specific and vivid and unique, something that you can't just plop down into any song as filler. It really means something to the writer and has a reason to be there. Some of the other lines, while they may be genuine, just come across as a little cheesy to me. Only a little. I still believe in general that he's taken a step back from how he used to write, and that's just frustrating. I mean when I look at the lyrics for Honest, they're fantastic. Out of this world. I cried when I listened to the song for the first time after knowing the full complete lyrics.

Anyway it's hard to judge a song from a youtube video,..

I think someone will print it out and make him fix it... We had that done with honest why can't we do it with this song. Smile

Guest Guest

Just inital observation:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! DroolGreatMega Rock

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT! Hope it's on the next album...New single or whatever!! Will have to delve deeper into full meaning later...but gut reaction....instant hit!!!

Guest Guest

Thanks all for this first analysis of the song! Very insightful thoughts there Very Happy

I'm not by any means as musically versed as some of you and only listening to videos and mp3s doesn't help much towards an informed opinion, lol, at least in my case.

Gut feelings, as Vikki puts it:
1. Glad to see it totally rocks!
2. I think it's middle of the road between AH and Honest with a "progression" thrown in. I can definitely see David in there, anyways.
3. I would very much like to see it in his next album, which by the way, I'm begging to be less produced, more raw material.
4. ITA with Sarah regarding song structure. In another thread, I was saying that too many "choruses" are kinda overkill. I would like to see more verse, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus structure in David's songs or some other "unexpected" structure to them. Not that I'm complaining but I truly believe it'll work better in building up the song.
5. I think either David's voice was straining 'cause the song was a notch higher than needed or he felt the instruments were overpowering him or plain nerves scratch
6. Lyrics-wise, I really like it. Don't feel they are cheesy at all! Maybe they are not the most profound lyrics David (if they're his) has written but definitely not cheesy, IMO.
7. Anywho, overall I think it's a good song that needs some tweaking here and there and a "cleaner" listen, methinks Very Happy

Ok so I have listened to every bit of clear audio I can find, and like Cimorene, I am going to wait until the boys flesh it out a few more times before making my final say on it, because it tends to take them about 5 live runs of tweeking, till they get the final product.

So as for now I am not in love but in somewhat like with the song. Daina hit the nail on the head for me last night when she said, "It's like Straight Ahead and Souvenir had a love child and named it Make Believe." I love Straight Ahead, and hate Souvenir, so hence my middle ground with this song so far.

Musically I love many parts of it. The guitar solo is incredible. The music is very Analog Heart structured, with a darker, edgier vibe. Which I was craving and missing in DCTR so I am happy to see it reappear here in some new music. However, the opening notes sound almost identicle to SA, only in a different key. Which kind of bugs me. However, the bridge and slow section after the guitar solo to the next chorus is well "hot" so to speak. The song slows down there to a raw emotional stop, with just Dave's grunting vocal over a stripped down drumbeat and soft guitar.

Lyrically, from what I can understand off the videos, is where the song is lacking for me. Again, we get another "lost love song" and well it would be great to get a song that was about something besides a chick dumping him. Souvenir, Honest, Make Believe....all about the end of a love relationship. Same lyrical vibe. I am beginning to wonder who pissed on his heart recently. You can take the lyrics from Souvenir, Honest and Make Believe and interchange them from song to song and not have it change the lyrical structure all that much, and that just irks me. I will wait until I can hear a full clear version of lyrics though before saying I don't like them outright. I do like the use of more imagery, but the regurgitated plot devise is getting repeatitive.

So as for now, I don't love it, I don't hate it, I am just in the middle. We'll see with time, but still it's nice to get new stuff.

Guest dawtreecookie
Note to self: Listening to Analog Heart immediately after hearing new song was a bad, bad idea. Yikes for the new song.

@CCforDC wrote:
Lyrically, from what I can understand off the videos, is where the song is lacking for me. Again, we get another "lost love song" and well it would be great to get a song that was about something besides a chick dumping him. Souvenir, Honest, Make Believe....all about the end of a love relationship. Same lyrical vibe. I am beginning to wonder who pissed on his heart recently. You can take the lyrics from Souvenir, Honest and Make Believe and interchange them from song to song and not have it change the lyrical structure all that much, and that just irks me. I will wait until I can hear a full clear version of lyrics though before saying I don't like them outright. I do like the use of more imagery, but the regurgitated plot devise is getting repeatitive.

I'm with you here. Though I feel like Honest has a lyrical depth that the other two don't, meaning that for me, even if it is about a relationship falling apart, it's not as straight forward so it can be applied to different things.

I agree Sarah with Honest. It is stronger lyrically and less straight forward. I love Honest.

datar164asa wrote:
I think someone will print it out and make him fix it... We had that done with honest why can't we do it with this song. Smile

I think your lyrics look really good, definitely very close if not perfect. I will print it out and bring to Friant and if I see him, I will ask if he can look at it and correct then will bring back to share obviously! I don't know though since it is a casino show, he probably won't come out to buses and I have never been to a casino show but I don't want to bug him if I see him out & about at the Casino. We'll see.

@CCforDC wrote:
I agree Sarah with Honest. It is stronger lyrically and less straight forward. I love Honest.

With you both on this as well. As you said earlier, Sarah (I think?) I like the presence of the bridge there, too -- you all probably have noticed that I am completely in love with its lyrics. Still waiting for something to knock me off my feet lyrically like that song does.

I do, however, also agree with you, Sarah, with regards to the specific imagery -- the line about walking barefoot in the snow also stood out to me as well. If he's going for direct writing, this is a good way to do it. Vivid and not pandering. I like that.

Thanks Jane I will update because I keep hearing new things ugh ... why would he use drunk in a lyric sounds weird and I think it's When do not When did.. because that lyric is sounds like when do we go back to the beginning of our relationship

I like his imagery I miss that... Like Honest there is a lot of imagery and irony in the song... Gah I can't stop thinking about that song I need it... Ok but to the situation at bay... Yes Make Believe is good structural what we are used to with Analog Heart. He definitely tried that with DCTR but moved away from it just a little. I do like the old school Dave vibe! Smile

I remember reading somewhere that someone said this is more "vintage David Cook." That kind of makes me laugh and kind of makes me sad... I mean, the guy's only nearly 27, so how could he have anything vintage, but then again, it also implies that he has veered so far away from his prior self that we feel that we need to label it that way.

Hmmmm. This song is middle of the road for me. Not on par with Honest, for sure, but a hell of a lot better than CBTM and IDIFY. Of course, we have absolutely no idea what a fully polished studio version of this would sound like, either, so it's hard to make comparisons based only on one live performance.

I'll also print out the lyrics to bring with me to Friant just in case (fat chance) I see him somewhere other than on stage. Maybe I'll just make a paper airplane and fly it onto the stage so he can fix it and fly it back to me. Great

OHHHH! I think I figured out one more line!!!

First verse:
When do we go back to the first time we met?
Kept us strung through the gloom.
In the nighttime.
Oh, how young we were,
But now we’re always so unsure.

What do you guys think?
scratch

Wow, there's a lot of in-depth discussion going on here... I gotta admit, I learn a lot from reading Cimorene's and Chele's posts, and I understand what they're saying, but I could never voice my opinions about a song that clearly. Hell, I can't even put my finger on what I like and don't like about a song, or use the same descriptive language. Y'all are awesome. Great

But as for my opinion....I think I might like it. I want to read all of the lyrics (as written by Dave) before I pass judgement, but I like the concept. I've been in relationships before where I've just wanted to say to the guy, "can you just fuckin' pretend that you give a damn about me?", so I can kinda relate to the lyrics (as we understand them thus far). But I agree with Chele, I wonder who in the world pissed him off so much in the past? Honest, Souvenir, and Make Believe all sound as if they're from the same era- the David Got Shit On By a Bitch And He's Gonna Write Another Song About It Era. Not that I don't like the songs; I love singing along to Honest, and I'm still learning all the words to Souvenir (don't judge me- I'm a little behind! SuspectLOL flag). Basically, I love anything that's just "David". When I heard this in soundcheck on Saturday, my first thought was (after I shit myself when I realized it was the new song), "Omg, it sounds like Analog Heart", and that's definitely a good thing in my book. His voice singing his own words is just so....soothing? Gritty yet soothing? So....real? Does that make any sense?

I dunno. Wonder if we'll ever get full studio recordings of Make Believe, Honest, and Souvenir?

Quote :
You know that all that I am is in the palm of your hand.
So make believe that you give a damn.
And make believe.

I can resume a love story trying to find a hopeless opportunity.

Okay, finally piping in here - didn't get to hear this til I got home from work tonight and have only listened a few times yet, but also read the stabs at lyrics here (a big THANK YOU to everyone posting lyrics), and so my initial thoughts, in line with a lot of thoughts I've seen so far:

The music - the first one I couldn't hear any instrumentation at all hardly so thanks for the video in here that's much better sound. I think I like the tune but I need to listen to it more times, and I need better quality audio still than that to really say anything.

I personally prefer a lyrical bridge but the guitar solo kicks ass so I'm happy.

The lyrics... as much as I love the barefoot in the snow part, it's the smile lighting up the sky that's cliche to me and if that were changed I think the lyrics overall would work for me. I like the theme and yes it seems he's maybe still not over someone with this & Souvenir being his newest songs, but this is a totally different perspective than Souvenir for me and I find it unique and I like it.

Guest Guest
Well, it's a hell of a lot better lyrically than singing about magic rainbows!!!!

I've been waiting all day to hear the new song! And I listened to it twice. But I don't feel like being too articulate, so I'm going to cheat and say I agree with Sarah and Chele. Wink I like it so far. Didn't blow me away like Honest, but didn't make me gag like the One Second song. I definitely could hear remnants of Straight Ahead, and even Souvenir. Love the guitar solo! And I agree about this line:

The lyrics aren't bad. I like "I still remember that look in your eyes, walking barefoot in the snow" and wish that type of creative imagery was more prominent.

It's like I can see him getting to that honest, beautiful point in his lyrics, and then he retreats back into the "safer" semi-cliched stuff. It's like I just want to keep pushing him, lol. Because I know he can do it, I know what he's capable of. I don't know. Can't really explain it. So basically I'm somewhere in the middle. The true test for me would be hearing it live, or even recorded. Like someone else said, I think it needs fleshed out a little more. I'm curious about the writing credits, as it doesn't sound like Neal to me at all. But I'm confused about something. Is this a possible song for the next album, or something that was left off of DCTR (i.e. Souvenir)?

There's some talk going on on Twitter that Zac Malloy has a song with this same title registered on ASCAP but no one knows if it's the same "Make Believe". I will be curious to find out who wrote/co-wrote this song. It seems like David to me, but I will be interested to hear for sure as well as get all the correct lyrics.

Guest Guest
If you haven't seen it yet, Prissy posted a new article up in DC discussion...sorta links this discussion to that, in a way.

I'd have to say that David is growing and he needs that freedom to be able to make hits, make history...and even make mistakes. I love the song only because of him. It sounds much more like him than anything since AH or a couple of the other ones.

I for one will give him a safe place to fall. Mistakes, Miracles and all!!!

So here are my thoughts; I don't absolutely despise it, but I don't like it.

I've listened/watched three different videos and at first I didn't like it at all because what stuck out to me was how David didn't seem to be showing much vocal range, IMO. Also, it kind of seems like he's almost shouting the whole song, which bothers me.

After I read the lyrics, I liked it a little better... I like how the imagery is becoming more present and more creative. But honestly... I'm sick of the reoccuring theme that seems to be in this song along with Souvenir, Honest, ect. I loved Analog Heart and I still do because David took the whole idea of heartbreak and twisted and warped it many different ways so it seemed new and fresh every time. But with these new (some old, like Honest) songs, it's just getting repetitive. I just don't want him to become like a lot of popular musicians today who write about heartbreak after heartbreak.

I just don't connect with the vibe of this song.

My husband and I just listened to it and i think he figured out the one word that was bugging me in the first verse - he thinks it's not strung or drunk but "strong" so the line is

Kept us strong through the gloom

What do you guys think? I'll print out Amanda's version with that change and a couple other minor ones I thought of and if I get the chance to talk to him tomorrow, I'll try to get him to look at it! Not getting hopes up though since with a Casino show, likelihood is no coming out to buses, etc.

I might be the only one here who hasnt totally picked this apart. I dont normally do that with songs lol I'm way too lazy.

I like it. I think the lyrics are very David and I really reminds me of AH. At first I thought it had a very similar feel to Straight Ahead. It has very nice lyrics and it's catchy. It was totally stuck in my head all day.
I'll be honest...I really really like DCTR. Most of the time I feel like I'm the only one that actually does since it gets picked apart as not being his best or on certain occasions, not good at all. Sure it's a little commercial and stuff, but it still makes a lot more sense then pretty much all the songs on the Top 100 on Itunes. Same goes for this song.
If the direction he wants to take for the next record is like this...I'm good. I like what I hear already.

I'm so glad you said that Mal. I was beginning to wonder if I'm the only one that actually like DCTR. Sure it's different from AH but it doesn't make him a bad album. I completely agree with everything you said.

As for Make Believe, I like it. I hear a mix of Honest and souvenir in it and I love both songs. I also don't normally picked apart songs. it's either I like them or I don't, I don't feel the need to Analyse them. And honestly I don't think I know enough about music and song structure etc to do so.

Anat, Mal, & Barb -- you are not alone. I <3 DCTR, too. Smile

However, I have a habit of analyzing everything -- so if there's something I like or don't like I always have to figure out why. It's a curse. Very Happy

And I do like MB... I'm just very auditory, and if I can't hear things well, that often means I don't like them as much, I'm discovering. I also think that DC tends to improve all of his songs after performing them a few times, so part of what I was writing about was what I hope he'd be able to tweak, because those particular audio issues were what were hampering me from completely loving the song.

ETA: Do we need a support group? DCTR Lovers R Us? LOL flag

^I totally agree with everything you said. I do like DCTR for what it is and I love some of the songs (ADAM, Mr. Sensitive, Kiss on the Neck, Permanent, & Bar-ba-sol). But as I've said before, there isn't an album that has affected me or made me think more than Analog Heart has. It's just...I don't even know how to explain it.

Now, on to Make Believe. My first thought was that it reminded me of Straight Ahead, especially in the beginning. I like the music, it's definitely one of those songs that you can't sit still while listening to. The lyrics are just okay to me. I think it could use a lyrical bridge because it feels a bit repetitive. I really like the second verse, though. So overall, yeah, I like it. I just feel like I've heard the story before and it makes me want to kick whosever ass it was that inspired these songs, lol. Razz

i realllyyy love this song .

whoever wrote this song , and i hope it was david that wrote it , they are a lyrical mastermind .

that lyric "I still remember that look in your eyes , Walking barefoot in the snow, You knew just the way to show me, You weren’t afraid of living if it made you alive" its just so heart-wrenchingly beautiful . it makes my heart stop everytime , not sure why .

I'm totally with Yael on wanting to hear this song after he's sung it at least 5 times to see what I really think of it and where it's gotten to be then. And I really need better audio.

And as for IDIFY, I like the guitar ending, but I still find the song monotonous, sorry, Dave and Raine. The tempo is too plodding for my taste and musically, while it's important to come back to a note to, IDK how to put it, ground the song?, I find that IDIFY comes back to the same note in the verse and the same higher note in the chorus way too many times, and every time, drag it out. It feels like 90% of the song is those 2 notes. I don't know what note it is but it's like Aaaa, B, C, Aaaa, B, C, Aaaa, B, C, D, CB Aa, repeat ad nauseum, emphasis on the ad nauseum. My mind drifts away from the monotony of the song, every time, even live I'm sorry to say.