Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirena1

"Let Go" by Matchbox 20 - Confirmed it's NOT David's Let Go

Guest Guest
Wait... is that saying that Matchbox 20 is recording "Let Go" for an album?

Jeannie wrote:
Wait... is that saying that Matchbox 20 is recording "Let Go" for an album?

That's what it looks like. We need more info on this.

Guest Guest
Yes we do. It could be an error on the site... apparently MB20's album "Exile on Mainstream" includes a song called "Can't Let you Go. It's possible this refers to that and it just got messed up somehow.

However, Rob Thomas has supposedly said that they will be releasing a new album... so maybe it is correct.

Time will tell, I suppose.

eta: Adding Lisa's (foolsapril) twitlonger on the issue:

Quote :
[FYI] Noted an ASCAP entry "Weight of the World" (Cook/Meredith/Solomon) made earlier this yr bit.ly b92mHy

Note: While UNconfirmed, it is assumed this credit is DRC and not another artist of like name as Sheppard Solomon has written w/DRC previously (in 2008). Now, whether this was an old co-write recently entered or a new co-write is unknown.

In response to DMs, the entry for UPROAR found on the HFA site is an error (i.e., Uproar, in this instance, is not a song, but a UK-based band whose members are Stuart Henderson, David Cook, Ian Gordon, Barry Gordon), which leads me bring to your attention the disclaimer on that site:
... ... ...
Please note that data contained in HFA's song database has been provided to HFA by publishers, licensees and others. HFA DOES NOT WARRANT THE ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THIS DATA. In some cases, copyright ownership information shown for a song may not reflect actual copyright ownership of a song, or may no longer be current. Songs listed in HFA's database may not be fully represented, or represented at all, by HFA, and may not be licensable through HFA.
... ... ...
I bring this to your attention as I know there's been recent chatter regarding notations to entries, such as "Let Go". In cases such as this, if there is no corroborative evidence to support such notations, I would consider them highly suspect.

Cheers! ~Lisa

Guest Guest
And it looks like Scott has solved the mystery:

Quote :
@wehoscott: Sorry to disappoint everyone, but David Kyle Cook is in MB20. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_Cook

From that wiki:
Quote :

David Kyle Cook born August 29, 1975 in Frankfort, Indiana, is a member of the band Matchbox Twenty. He plays lead guitar, banjo and sings backing vocals for the band.

Quote :
@wehoscott: So it's David Kyle Cook's "Let Go," not David Roland Cook's "Let Go," & Kyle Peek has nothing to do with it at all. *runs for migraine meds"

@sirena wrote:
Yeah, but why does it say CherryLane/AnalogHeart publisher? scratch

I wondered the same thing. It still doesn't make sense.

Guest Guest
Their disclaimer says that they are not responsible for the accuracy of the information posted on the site. I'm not sure how hard it is to get registered there, but someone could have easily "filled in" that info incorrectly.

I suppose there is still a slim chance it's true, but following Occam's Razor, it is most likely DKC and not DRC.

Well, that's one pretty big coincidence if there are two David Cooks who wrote a song titled "Let Go", unless everything on the page is an error.

Not that big a coincidence, really. "Let go" or "Let it go" or the like is commonly heard. And both "David" and "Cook" are common names. Remember that other musician named David Cook who whined in his blog about having the same name as our David and people confusing them?

However... I do remember months ago someone found that both "Let Go" and "Porcelain" were registered with Cherry Lane. Which makes it more possible that another band could have bought the song.

Not that big a coincidence, really. "Let go" or "Let it go" or the like is commonly heard. And both "David" and "Cook" are common names. Remember that other musician named David Cook who whined in his blog about having the same name as our David and people confusing them?

However... I do remember months ago someone found that both "Let Go" and "Porcelain" were registered with Cherry Lane. Which makes it more possible that another band could have bought the song.

NOOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want anyone else to own that song. I want our David Cook to sing it! Just once I want to see HIM perform that song. Just once. well...hopefully a youtube of it as well, of course. So I can watch it over and over and over.....

I Can't Let You Go has it's own page and it also lists Kyle Cook as a writer (along with Paul, Rob and Brian the other members of Matchbox). I honestly had never heard of Kyle being called David before, because he always shows up as Kyle on their albums and such.

Also, if they were referring to that song, why wouldn't they have Exile On Mainstream listed as the album? I'm not saying it's a certain thing, but there are a lot of holes on both sides. Either way, I wish it'd get cleared up, lol.

I know, Viv, you and I are on the same page. I'd give my first-born (should one ever be born, lol) to hear David sing "Let Go" just once... I don't want to hear anyone else sing it. But I'm also torn... if another band records the song, maybe then David will sing it. Can't you just hear him banter about this song being a big hit and he's the one who wrote it and recorded it years ago and then, "I've got a happy trigger finger..."
love plodelove plodelove plode

Really, it would be great for him if his song were a hit by a very popular band. AND... I think it would make it slightly more likely that he would sing it himself.

And you know what? Damn David for being so tight-lipped, lol. Any other musician, hearing the clamor, would have said whether it's his song or not. But not David. He sits back and laughs at us trying to figure it out. No-no!

ETA: One of the reasons I love Let Go so much is that it's maybe his hardest song. I can't imagine it'd be half as hard-hitting if Matchbox 20 did it. It'd be Let Go Lite, which is kinda just wrong. Sigh. BUT, that would make it all the more dramatic when people got to hear David's fucking kick-ass version of it, and Neal's sublime solo.

I know, Viv, you and I are on the same page. I'd give my first-born (should one ever be born, lol) to hear David sing "Let Go" just once... I don't want to hear anyone else sing it. But I'm also torn... if another band records the song, maybe then David will sing it. Can't you just hear him banter about this song being a big hit and he's the one who wrote it and recorded it years ago and then, "I've got a happy trigger finger..."
love plodelove plodelove plode

Really, it would be great for him if his song were a hit by a very popular band. AND... I think it would make it slightly more likely that he would sing it himself.

Oh God, Stacy. I have fantasized about him being on stage, grabbing his mic, and then out comes "I've got a happy trigger finger....", in which my next move would be me passed out on the friggin floor.

And yes, damn him for being so secretive. He's made it into an art form!

I do love the way we amuse him though, and I love the way he teases us. *giggle*

Okay, I'm kinda wigging out now. I refrained (barely) from wigging out when "Let Go" was listed on Cherry Lane. And this is FAR from verified. But I'm wigging out nonetheless. And VERY conflicted.

Yea, me too Stacy. My heart lept when I saw Let Go and Porcelain listed with Cherry Lane. I felt hope, *sigh* that these songs (and hopefully more from AH) were going to see the light of day. I do not want :"Let Go" lite. That song is just....I don't know how to word it. It just Rocks! And it Rocks Hard. kwim?

I love Rob Thomas. And it would be interesting to hear what he would do with it. But....I WANNA HEAR DAVID DO IT! lol

Also, if someone else records it, do you really think David would sing it? I don't think he would. Out of respect for the other musician who recorded it, I just think it would make it even more absolute that he wouldn't sing it.

I hope I'm wrong.

On the other hand, like you, I'm torn. Because the song is amazing and if Rob could make it a hit, and David refuses to, then it would be good for David and his career. So I'm torn.

Either way, Let Go is one of my favs and it would be awesome to see it get out to the public.

Does anyone remember someone (I wish I could remember who) on DCO said that some DJ in her town was saying that David Cook was a poser. And she told the DJ that if he would listen to a particular DC song, AND if he didn't like it she would go on his show and say that David is a poser?

Anyway, she sent the DJ Let Go. After he heard it, he said something like "why wasn't this shit released? It would have been a hit"

I apologize that I'm telling someone else's story, and I wish I could remember who said it. I would give them credit. But it fits in this discussion.

@vsteph1 wrote:
Yea, me too Stacy. My heart lept when I saw Let Go and Porcelain listed with Cherry Lane. I felt hope, *sigh* that these songs (and hopefully more from AH) were going to see the light of day. I do not want :"Let Go" lite. That song is just....I don't know how to word it. It just Rocks! And it Rocks Hard. kwim?
Yeah, it fucking ROCKS. And a pop band would not make it rock half enough.

Quote :
I love Rob Thomas. And it would be interesting to hear what he would do with it. But....I WANNA HEAR DAVID DO IT! lol
I keep torturing myself thinking how they would sound on David's song. And came to two conclusions:
1) I would hate it. HATE it. I would hate anyone but David singing it. It would be torture every time I heard it. And...
2) I would suffer anyone else singing it, destroying it even, just for the chance to hear David sing it. I would suffer the friggen Jonas Brothers singing it 1,000 times to hear David sing it once.

Quote :
Also, if someone else records it, do you really think David would sing it? I don't think he would. Out of respect for the other musician who recorded it, I just think it would make it even more absolute that he wouldn't sing it.
David covers songs that are 100% belonging to others. Why wouldn't he sing a song that isn't even a cover, it's HIS song? Not to mention he loves taking songs that we know of in the "lite" version and rocking the shit out of them. Which is what would happen with Let Go if this is true. I really believe that the song becoming known to the general public makes it more likely he will one day perform it.

Quote :
On the other hand, like you, I'm torn. Because the song is amazing and if Rob could make it a hit, and David refuses to, then it would be good for David and his career. So I'm torn.
It would be great for his career. Heck, Rob Thomas is his friend and when performing it would probably mention that David wrote it.

Quote :
Either way, Let Go is one of my favs and it would be awesome to see it get out to the public.
Yes, I want everyone to hear Let Go. Even if they hear a "wrong" version of it. Never thought I'd say that, but yes.

Guest Guest
Rob Thomas has been tweeting lately about MB20 and studio time. I'm dying to know if the Let Go info is true or if it's all a mix up. I was just talking to my son about how odd Let Go would sound in mellow/MB20 mode. Right after our conversation I got a text from Stacy about it lol. She must have been reading my mind!

Stacy, first off. lmao at the image of Jonas Bro's singing Let Go.

Second, I think if someone else recorded Let Go, I don't think David would sing it because, lets face it, if he sang it, it would put any other version of the song to shame and he wouldn't do that to another artist.

Listen to me. HA! I've already decided that any other version would suck! That's right guys, Vivian knows all and can see all. lmfao.

LMAO, Viv! You know what, I don't think Matchbox 20 singing a David song would be a bad thing. It's just that Let Go is maybe his hardest rock song, except maybe Feed Your Ego. And they would not do the rock of that song justice, much as they are great in a pop context. And that it rocks so hard is the essence of what is great about it. But... I actually can, surprisingly, kinda hear them doing it. It would not be anything at all like the REAL Let Go, but it might not be bad at all either.

And Viv, I totally disagree about the likelihood of David singing it if Matchbox records it. (Can you believe it? I disagree with you about something about Let Go! ShockedROFLOL ) Because I don't think David's ego works that way. I don't think he'd ever think of him putting Rob to shame. Now, that doesn't mean I don't think Dave has an ego, by any stretch, lol. Just that I don't think his works that way.

Katie, looking at your Word Nerd title, you must be in heaven!

I can sort of see Rob doing Let Go too. But the song soooooo Rocks and Rocks hard, that it is hard for me to imagine a pop version of it. kwim?

As far as you disagreeing with me, all I can say is: from your lips to God's ears. Smile

in other words I hope you are right!

Maybe our David will be "featured" on the song. They are all under Matt Serletic's wing right now.

@sirena wrote:
Maybe our David will be "featured" on the song. They are all under Matt Serletic's wing right now.

Now there's a thought! Of course if that is so Neal has to play lead guitar. hee hee.

Another thing, if this is a mistake then yet another coincidence that "Porcelain" and "Let Go" have been registered with ASCAP. For what reason?

Yeah, to me, that Let Go WAS registered with Cherry Lane months ago is really the primary thing that makes me think it MIGHT possibly be the real thing, not just a clerical mistake.

Has anybody tried tweeting Rob Thomas to ask him? He'd be much more likely than tease-meister Dave to actually answer a burning question.

Has anyone found other songs listed by Kyle David Cook? Does he register them as Kyle Cook? David's sure as hell never going to tell us anything so it's up to the CSI to figure it out. Let's go get on the case! Scott got some good info pointing towards a no answer earlier, but it's not nearly enough for me to consider it a closed case. Suspect

lol, Daina. Thanks for the understatement. Smile

What's funny is it would take David 10 seconds to clear it up. But he won't. Razz

Sorry... Came into this conversation a tad late... I read through everything and I'm conflicted. On one hand I'm all, "that's dave's song and no one else can touch it!" while on the other hand I'm curious to hear another interpretation of the song, and I like matchbox 20, and if it's a single and does well, Dave can put himself in tee shirts for another year... But... It's Dave's song and no one else should touch it.... But it might not be Dave's song... Ok, giving myself a headache now... Backing away slowly to get ready for a Halloween party.

Ps... Dave is a jackass. He loves letting us suffer. As if waiting for the album wasn't torture enough. Sigh. He's lucky he's sexy.

lol, Daina. It's good to know Viv and I aren't the only ones TOTALLY conflicted about how we feel about the possibility. Enjoy your party!

And P.S. Yes, he's a total ass. And DAMN lucky he's so fucking hot. How much does he get away with for being so damn hot and charming?

I'd let him get away with anything, personally... Unless he sold "Makeover." I'd peobably disown him for an hour or so. All he'd have to do to get back in my good graces is tweet something cute, or leak another new picture. He kinda has me wrapped around his little finger. (doesn't he know how good...wink wink... He'd have it with me? Lol!)

Guest Guest
He's so busy attending a football game and probably following a few others that he may not even be aware of this confusion lol. Did anyone tweet @ him yet to see if he could clear it up? Not that he would. I think he enjoys our confusion and angst.

Been a while since Ive seen David related action/drama...haha.
And Jonas Brothers singing Let Go??? Bahahaha, Hey Archie, why dont you sing some Rob Zombie while theyre at it...haha sorry they just dont go...
And it might be kinda cool for someone to cover it I think...thats just me...Analog Heart would get more attention

LMAO, Viv! You know what, I don't think Matchbox 20 singing a David song would be a bad thing. It's just that Let Go is maybe his hardest rock song, except maybe Feed Your Ego. And they would not do the rock of that song justice, much as they are great in a pop context. And that it rocks so hard is the essence of what is great about it. But... I actually can, surprisingly, kinda hear them doing it. It would not be anything at all like the REAL Let Go, but it might not be bad at all either.

And Viv, I totally disagree about the likelihood of David singing it if Matchbox records it. (Can you believe it? I disagree with you about something about Let Go! ShockedROFLOL ) Because I don't think David's ego works that way. I don't think he'd ever think of him putting Rob to shame. Now, that doesn't mean I don't think Dave has an ego, by any stretch, lol. Just that I don't think his works that way.

Katie, looking at your Word Nerd title, you must be in heaven!

I'm actually just as torn as you guys. I love Matchbox, but I'm not sure I want anyone but David singing Let Go. It could be great for the publicity but I'm afraid that I won't like they way the do it, lol.

Guest Guest
I'm conflicted over the whole thing for all the same reasons, Daina. It would be great for Dave, but not sure how I'd feel about anyone else touching that song. I go back and forth, back and forth.

To add more fuel to the "not our David" side of the fire, when not with Matchbox 20, David Kyle Cook is also in a band called "The New Left." In 2004 they released an EP... the title of which was - you guessed it - "Let Go." There was not a song on it called Let Go however, that was just the EP title.

We know Dave's Let Go is registered, and they have that information listed with the MB20 name as artist. Did someone confuse things there? It's happened before, and there are lots of errors on that site. Including the fact that they apparently listed a song called "Uproar" with a David Cook as a co-writer... but Uproar is in fact a band from England, with a member named David Cook, not a song at all (and the other "co-writers" were the other band members.)

Also, looking at Rob Thomas' website... yes, I'm home sick and bored so I did a little digging... it doesn't appear he's ever recorded anyone else's work. He's a very prolific songwriter, and he's won awards for it:

Quote :
In 2004, the Songwriters Hall of Fame presented Thomas with its premiere “Starlight Award” – created to recognize a composer in the early years of his or her career who has already made a lasting impact. He has won numerous BMI and ASCAP Awards, and has earned the Songwriter of the Year crown from both Billboard and BMI for two consecutive years.

For their early records, it seems he wrote all their songs himself.It sounds like with Matchbox 20 now he's willing to write with them, since he also has his solo career, but it seems pretty clear he's talking about collaborating with the other members:

Quote :
Moving forward, Thomas will continue to toggle between his solo career and Matchbox Twenty. “Over the years, the other guys have evolved as writers,” says Rob. “Now that I have a solo outlet, we can be more creative together; we can be a band and really explore what Matchbox can become – the best of what it can be – without my ego as a songwriter getting in the way. The reason I do what I do is because I have all these songs that are always building up in my head, so it’s really cathartic to get a load of them out into the world and start over again. And the solo career is a really important way for me to do that.”

He loves to write his own music, and he's got band members that write as well. It seems kind of odd that they would record a song written entirely by someone else. He also talks quite a bit about his songs coming from meaningful moments in his life.

I'm definitely leaning towards it being an error now, but won't dismiss it entirely, unless we get word from either Rob (who knows if he'll answer Barb's question) or David (not bloody likely, as we know.) But it does sound kind of unlikely to me at the moment.

Quotes above from this link:

Rob Thomas biography

*sigh* no answer yet. Dammit David. Put us out of our misery on this one. You have NO idea how much we love Let Go. No friggin idea.

Sorry. Just got home from work. I was hoping this would be answered by now.

Aw, sorry, Viv. But you know, waiting for David to tell us anything he doesn't have to is like, well, waiting for him to sing "Let Go." *sigh.*

Aw, sorry, Viv. But you know, waiting for David to tell us anything he doesn't have to is like, well, waiting for him to sing "Let Go." *sigh.*

Yea, I know. But sometimes hope springs eternal. At least it creeps its ugly head up once in a while. lol

@vsteph1 wrote:

Yea, I know. But sometimes hope springs eternal. At least it creeps its ugly head up once in a while. lol

Yup. Eternal. Ironic how you and I can't let go of our need to hear him sing Let Go. Isn't it?

@vsteph1 wrote:

Yup. Eternal. Ironic how you and I can't let go of our need to hear him sing Let Go. Isn't it?

Yes it is ironic. What's wrong with us?

@vsteph1 wrote:
@vsteph1 wrote:

I don't know. But I do know it's all his fault. Damn him. Or I thank him. Or I don't know Banging head lol.

@vsteph1 wrote:
@vsteph1 wrote:

I don't know. But I do know it's all his fault. Damn him. Or I thank him. Or I don't know Banging head lol.

lmao. I was just thinking the same thing. I was thinking: I blame David! Smile

I missed a lot while I've been busy! Late to the party yet again!!

I have to agree that I'm conflicted over this. I'm not sure Rob Thomas is angry enough for Let Go (our David's song) I wouldn't mind some other band covering Davids music, but I want said band to do his songs justice. Let Go Lite would be like The Truth Hard done by Tool!! UGH!! David would be flattered if ANYONE covered his music and he would never say if he liked the cover or not. We are not so tight lipped!! LOL I still want to hear David do Let Go live, and see Neal rocking that solo - want it BAD!!!! If someone doing a good or bad cover would prompt him (or Neal) to add Let Go to the setlist, I'd buy multiple copies of the single!! I'm not saying I'd actually listen to it, though.... Rolling Eyes

Question answered, and put to rest.

Quote :

Dani_Menezes
@ThisIsRobThomas: There are rumors MB20 is recording a song written by @thedavidcook... Can you confirm or deny it?

Quote :
ThisIsRobThomas
@Dani_Menezes: no, we write our own stuff.

Wheew! Thank you, Sirena, now we don't have to worry any more. And thanks to the one who got an answer!