Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Queen Maeva

'American Idol's' David Cook and RCA Records Part Ways

Quote :
Season 7 winner David Cook debuted a new song on American Idol Thursday night, but it won't be coming out on RCA Records.

David Cook Tour Diary: The 'American Idol' Winner Talks Life on the Road, TV Show Stigma (Video)
The show alum tells The Hollywood Reporter, "I'm currently without a record deal." He's self-releasing "The Last Song I'll Write For You" to "see how the song does."

Cook reveals that his contract with Sony Music-owned RCA Records was up after his second album, This Loud Morning. "It just felt like the time to try something different," he says. "I love the creative control, so we're going to self-release and see what happens from there." He also parted ways with 19 Entertainment, as THR previously reported, and is currently being managed by Simon Fuller's XIX Entertainment.

As for what happens next? The road is long, as the Hollies once sang, and Cook says, "We're just going to keep doing what we're doing. If someone wants to hop on board and get behind it, then great, let's talk about it. I just love making music and however I'm gonna do that is however I'm gonna do that. But if I keep writing songs like this, hopefully things will turn out OK."

Indeed, the hooky new track wasn't the usual three-month struggle. "The melody was real natural, which almost never happens to me," he adds. "It all came together rather quickly."

The Idol appearance, he says, "became the obvious choice to do and I'm so glad it worked out this way and that we can unveil it on that stage."

Other show alums no longer signed to Sony-affiliated labels include season 7 runner-up David Archuleta, season 9's Lee DeWyze and Crystal Bowersox, season 6's Blake Lewis, season 5's Taylor Hicks, season 4's Bo Bice, and season 2's Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard, among others.

Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/idol-worship/american-idols-david-cook-rca-323176

Thanks, Mae. This is definitely news-worthy enough to be its own thread.

We won't know if this will be good for David or not until Time Marches On (sorry - couldn't resist), but all I have to say right now is that I hope David is happy with this change and different avenues open up for him. Some doors close but some open as well.

How is everyone feeling about this change?

Guest Guest
I think the key words are "creative control".

You just said everything I feel about it, Stacy! I think The Last Song I'll Write For You sounds like a direction he may take from now on, musically speaking, it sounds more... Dave. I don't know any other way to explain than it. But only time will tell if he'll get another deal, he certainly knows he can count on his loyal fans anywhere he goes.

I feel good about it. Especially after reading the article that Jamie posted in the other thread about what Simon Fuller and Blackwell guys (not sure about the name) are creating. It sounds like an awesome way to give the artists they support more control over their careers. I don't know. I just feel good about it.

he certainly knows he can count on his loyal fans anywhere he goes.

I sure hope he knows! We are not going ANYWHERE but with him, along for the ride as always.

And if DCO goes *poof*, since it is run by RCA, well, everyone there is welcome here. We were here for like 3-4 months before DCO was created, and we'll be here if/when it's gone.

@vsteph1 wrote:
I feel good about it. Especially after reading the article that Jamie posted in the other thread about what Simon Fuller and Blackwell guys (not sure about the name) are creating. It sounds like an awesome way to give the artists they support more control over their careers. I don't know. I just feel good about it.

Just bringing that post here:
This was tweeted earlier too. It's from last summer, but it sure makes you go "Hmmm..."

Quote :
LOS ANGELES, June 13, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Two of the world's most influential forces in the global entertainment industry – Simon Fuller and Chris Blackwell – today announced the formation of a new joint venture that will create an independent partnership model for artists and content owners in the music and entertainment industries aimed at putting them in full control of their careers and their businesses for the first time.

The new venture – Blackwell Fuller, Inc. – will take the form of a new content company focused on working with artists looking to develop and nourish the connection points between them and their audiences. Fuller and Blackwell have already identified several opportunities to partner with important artists and iconic brands and will be announcing the first of these initiatives in the coming months.

"In the rush to create new media platforms in this incredibly explosive digital age, the business community generally relegates artists to the role of a mere spectator, often at their own expense," said Fuller. "We believe we have a unique opportunity to create new-media partnerships directly with the creators themselves and build a new model that will define the path for artists and creators for the new digital age."

"There has been a need for a new business approach for artists and content owners for many years," said Blackwell. "As the entertainment industry and media companies struggle to find new financial models, the arrangements struck with artists have become more and more restrictive and onerous. Our new approach will give artists the freedom to explore new paths to market with the kind of support and resources it takes to create real scale, control, and reach."

Blackwell Fuller will operate from Fuller's XIX Entertainment offices in London, New York, and Los Angeles.

Chris Blackwell is renowned as the founder of Island Records, and the guiding light of many of the world's most successful music acts of the last fifty years including Bob Marley, U2, Cat Stevens, Melissa Etheridge, Roxy Music, Free and many others. Simon Fuller is one of the most powerful and successful entertainment entrepreneurs in Hollywood as the creator of "American Idol," and the manager of a diverse range of star talent in music, sport and fashion. Fuller launched XIX Entertainment earlier this year to work in partnership with star talent that includes Annie Lennox, Jennifer Lopez, David Beckham, Lewis Hamilton, Roland Mouret, Andy Murray, Carrie Underwood, Sir Michael Caine, Lisa Marie Presley, and The Spice Girls, among others.

Thanks for bringing the other article to the thread, Stacy, I hadn't seen it.

I sure hope he knows! We are not going ANYWHERE but with him, along for the ride as always.

And if DCO goes *poof*, since it is run by RCA, well, everyone there is welcome here. We were here for like 3-4 months before DCO was created, and we'll be here if/when it's gone.

I'm not sure if DCO how long is gonna take to DCO go *poof*, Lee DeWyze left RCA months ago and only recently his website was taken down (now it redirects to his Facebook page).

Guest Guest
justforme wrote:
I think the key words are "creative control".

That is exactly what I was thinking!!! Every time I listen to TLSIWFY..... Analog Heart keeps running in my mind! AH was ALL DAVID! No major label and it is (IMO) his best work! TLSIWFY fits right in there with that! I think this move will actually be good for him

Tricia wrote:
Every time I listen to TLSIWFY..... Analog Heart keeps running in my mind! AH was ALL DAVID!

That's what I mean when I say it sounds Dave, Tricia! High Five!

Thanks for bringing the other article to the thread, Stacy, I hadn't seen it.

I'm not sure if DCO how long is gonna take to DCO go *poof*, Lee DeWyze left RCA months ago and only recently his website was taken down (now it redirects to his Facebook page).

Hopefully it will stay up long enough for any threads that are important to people to be transcribed and saved somewhere.

ETA: And maybe there is some way for David to buy some server space and transfer it all there.

Agreed, Stacy! But, dude, he better get a good one, you know how we crash it easy LOL flag

Trying to remain hopeful that this works out for David but this whole thing is making me feel sick with worry. I just want him to be able to continue to make music and for us to be able to hear it. I vote for this site to be made his official site..you guys have always done a better job at keeping the DC news updated then the official one anyway..this place rocks!

I think it's great that David parted ways with RCA. I always thought they should have released more songs from DCTR and he didn't get enough support with TLM. I'm sure he'll do great on his own, with our support! Very Happy

I'm genuinely happy for David. He will do juuuust fine Smile

What makes me sad is the industry. I know making cash and profits is everything an industry cares for. But they could not have invested it on ones who were clearly better than what's on screen nowadays? I'm not just talking about David but many other talented forgotten artists. This makes me sick to my stomach.

I just read the news on Facebook and buzzed over here for the first time in ages to get the full scoop.

At first I was concerned but the more I think about it, it might actually be a great thing. They never really did support Dave very much, then they wondered why he only had mediocre success. Yeah, DCTR had a lot of sales but that was because of us buying 10 or more copies per fan but singles, not so much.

Besides didn't Idol itself part ways with Sony/RCA this year? (I know, I'm so out of the loop.) But if that is true, then they are likely cutting ties with all things Idol, thus this is no bad reflection on Dave. As others said, new doors open, new opportunities.

Guest Guest
Bringing over my thoughts from the other thread:

Quote :
He's definitely still with XIX. I saw an article just yesterday about a new show Simon Fuller is working on, and it listed a lot of his artists. David's name was right there next to Carrie's.

Plus Michelle was with him at the RFH.

I'm with Barb, I think this may be a good thing. Other than the lack of money to back him up. But I'm not worried. He's obviously known this for awhile, and he seems really happy and relaxed. As Shirley said, the road's wide open.

WOW, I'm just now reading about the Dave/RCA parting of the ways. IMO I really feel that this could be a good thing for him. RCA never seemed like they fully supported him like he should have been supported. David is a very smart individual and I believe that he'll come out for the better because of this. Heck, the group GRO left their record label and went independent. They are out touring and such. Seems if it can work for them it can work for David.

DEBRA

Guest Guest
I just read the news on Facebook and buzzed over here for the first time in ages to get the full scoop.

At first I was concerned but the more I think about it, it might actually be a great thing. They never really did support Dave very much, then they wondered why he only had mediocre success. Yeah, DCTR had a lot of sales but that was because of us buying 10 or more copies per fan but singles, not so much.

Besides didn't Idol itself part ways with Sony/RCA this year? (I know, I'm so out of the loop.) But if that is true, then they are likely cutting ties with all things Idol, thus this is no bad reflection on Dave. As others said, new doors open, new opportunities.

Actually, Sony and Idol split last year. But I would imagine that since they are no longer associated with Idol, they aren't bending over backwards to keep the former Idols that they have. Idols have always tended to be (with a few notable exceptions) cash cows who bring in a ton of sales right after the show. But Idol fans in general are fickle, and they tend to move on to the next Idol when a new year rolls around.

Not defending RCA, but I have to say that I thought they did a good job on the release of TLM. Where things fell down was right after the initial drop. There was too long of a time between when the album dropped, and when he started to tour. However, that was when he was in the process of switching management over to XIX, and that may well have had something to do with it.

As for RCA - they are a business, and like any other business they are only in it to make money. And right now, the money makers are the ones who sing the auto-tuned, hands in the air, electric pop songs. The ones who are consistently at the top of the charts with the songs that all sound the same. If that's what is selling, then from a business perspective, that's where they need to put their money. I can't fault them for that... the music industry is a mess right now, and if they want to stay alive, they need to market what is selling at the moment.

David is who he is... and he's not going to change to satisfy a corporation or just to make money. He wants to make music that matters to him. He wouldn't be happy any other way. So for him to go the independent route is a smart move. Plenty of indie artists are doing fine. Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know" hit number one on the US billboard charts in April... and he's independent. Lots of indie artists get radio play. Lots of them make a good living and tour. David will be fine, and more importantly, he'll be happy, doing what he loves and in control of what he's doing.

Having just seen him on Saturday night - he's relaxed, happy, and confident. I'm not worried... he'll be around making music for us for a long time. (And hey - if he wants to go the Kickstarter route like GRO did on their last album... well, we'll be there supporting him and I have no doubt he'd get plenty of money to fund future ventures.) One thing I think he knows is that we, the hard core fans, are permanent.

I've been saying for such a long time that I can't wait for David to be through with his Idol contract, that when it's done he'll be able to have more control and put out the kind of music that he wants to make and that we've all been waiting for.

But now that the moment has actually arrived, I don't know how I feel: sad, nervous and excited for him all at the same time.

We know he's got the talent to do whatever he wants to do, but in the music industry it's more difficult than ever to make a career, let alone sustain one. Talent isn't enough. He has us, and he has Simon Fuller backing him, so let's all just keep our fingers crossed!

Excited2 I am THRILLED that RCA is out of the picture. I've not been super happy with them from the start. I've always felt that they were trying WAY too hard to make David something that he's not. I can't help but feel that now, the world will finally get to see the real David Cook! I would imagine that he's gonna be strapped for cash for a while, but all he needs to do is buckle down and do what he does best - be David Cook. The rest will follow. And I know we will all be there every step of the way!

Can we claim him as a dependent on our taxes next year??? scratchLOL flag

I thinks that it's good for David. RCA never supported him as he deserved it. Now he will have more control over his work. If he is going to create new material like the last song I'll write for you, I'm happy... because it is just awesome.

As I had already commented at the other thread, I think this "change" will be very positive for him, his career, his creative process... Jump

IMO Sony/RCA totally failed to promote him,TLM, his singles. They never gave him the proper value and attention he so deserves. Dead Horse!!!

I agree with Tricia that TLSIWFY has a AH vibe... a real DAVE vibe.... Music Makes me HAPPY And THIS IS AWESOME !! Awww Love

By his last appearances/shows, he seems me to be relieved, happy, loose, in peace with himself and with the path he chose to tread. Great

With Simon Fuller support and the freedom to be HIM, create the kind of music he believes in, and choose to co-write his songs with the people he identifies personal and musically AND OUR HUGE INCONDITIONAL SUPPORT AND LOVE... I'm sure he'll do great !! Yahoo!

We won't know if this will be good for David or not until Time Marches On (sorry - couldn't resist).

Don't apologize! After hearing the news, one of my first thoughts was "the life that he knew is through and he's gonna need us more than ever". LOL flag

We won't know if this will be good for David or not until Time Marches On (sorry - couldn't resist).

Don't apologize! After hearing the news, one of my first thoughts was "the life that he knew is through and he's gonna need us more than ever". LOL flag

Complementing your LOTM thoughts DP..... I couldn't avoid to think about this.....
"Here are my terms - Have some faith in me..."

Guest Guest
LOL Face

Well Dave was leaning on the edge of jumping of the ledge, and now he has. And as he explained at the Night of Hope, that represents letting go of the past and moving forward. So he has taken his own advice, it seems. Wink

I'm glad to see people being so accepting, and not getting overly worried. The truth is that we don't know what all went on that lead to this. Did David drop RCA? Did they drop him? Was it a mutual decision? We don't know, and maybe we never will. But all I see is a guy who appears to be in a really happy frame of mind right now, so who am I to get too worked up over it?

He's had a few good years with them. He got two major label releases, he made a ton of important contacts (and it would appear that everyone who has ever met him loves him,) and he's a smart guy. He's made that jump, and I'm confident he'll land on his feet.

Guest Guest

^^^what she said! Great

And bringing what I wrote in the other thread:

Made wrote:
Anywho, to make it short. RCA parting with David or David parting with RCA only gives you a shot of what the music scene is nowadays. We were saying that anything that's not auto-tuned, electro-pop doesn't make it to national radio stations (JLo just lipsyched through her performance on AI Rolling Eyes and she sells millions).

So, I'm thinking Bob Dylan, Janis, Jimi Hendrix, etc., etc., etc., would have been nobodies today. Well, I'll stick with those "nobodies" and David rather than the crap we have to listen on the radio."

I woke up this morning having very mixed feelings about all this! But having thought about it with my hot coffee in hand, lol, I'm at peace with it. David is happy, he's doing the right thing by immediately releasing a self produced song, he is taking the right steps to lower living and band costs, made lots of important contacts everywhere, etc. Another thing that seems encouraging is that David is still with XIX, so he may be included in the new Fuller/Blackwell venture.

As fans we need to understand that David's kind of music is not what's popular today and that not everyone will get him. On the other hand, he has one of the strongest fanbases I've ever seen who will back him up and support his music no matter what!

Group Hug1

Made wrote:

As fans we need to understand that David's kind of music is not what's popular today and that not everyone will get him. On the other hand,
he has one of the strongest fanbases I've ever seen who will back him up and support his music no matter what!
Group Hug1

High Five! Ditto MADE !! I couldn't have said it better ! Hug

Quoting him.... "Out here on my own I know I'm not alone"... Group Hug2

I want to say one thing: in this moment David need to sell at best and it's strange because it is my second day on this site I ask someone there in US if can buy ,by my part,few copies of his song and no one say me " I can". I 'll send money via Paypall.
The fact that I can't buy more copies fell me bad.
I want give to David real support and in this moment is: BUY HIS SONG.

Sorry.

I would take your offer, Marina, but I'm international fan too and relying on iTunes gift cards (plus I cannot buy from Amazon) to buy music, so your money will be of no use for me.

But trust me, I know many of us are buying more than one copy, some even buy five copies each, so I hope we got it all covered to sustain the song on the chart for at least a week Smile

thanks Dinna.
I know many of yours are buying more than one copy :YOU ARE ALL GREAT FAN.
I'm disappointed because other times I bought more mp3 on itunes without problems and this time, that is the most important, I can't. Pulling hair

No worries Dinna - I'm helping Mariana - Do you need some help too?

@pn112 wrote:
No worries Dinna - I'm helping Mariana - Do you need some help too?

I'm good, Peggy Smile I have a US iTunes account (thanks to NannaWolf) and already bought a gift card awhile ago so I was able to buy the maximum number allowed Wink

Guest Guest
Marina, I think part of the problem is that from what we understand, once you buy more than 5 copies, there is a possibility that additional purchases don't count towards sales numbers for charting, etc. At least that's the rumor. And many of us are buying and gifting copies already, so we can't take the money from you - although it's very nice of you to offer.

Can you gift through your itunes? Or do you have an Amazon there? If you can gift - gift them. Even to people you know who don't necessarily know or like David. Maybe the song will make him some new fans if you do, and he'll get the credit for the sales.

I gifted a copy to my son last night. I know it's not necessarily his style, but it counts as another sale and he will at least listen. He really liked Light On, so maybe he'll like this one too. He has a pretty open mind about music.

I have a US iTunes account too and I bought a gift card awhile ago so I was able to buy , in the past, the maximum number allowed . this time they let me buy only one . If I want buy another I have this message:
"You have already purchades this item. Would you like redownload this for free?"

Guest Guest
Are you trying to gift it though? If you go to the page for the song, there should be a drop down box on the purchase link that lets you gift it.

I haven't tried to download another copy for myself, but it would make sense that if you've already paid for it, they would let you download free. That would save you having to repurchase something that you lost.

I tried to do a gift but when I go to "edit payement information" I'm lose because I have $ 48,26 credit on iTunes by gift card; so obviously I don't chose credit card. i chose itunes gift cards and certificates, click on the redeem a code (because is the only option) and they ask me gift card code (?) if I write the last gift card code I bought they say "it is already redeem". So what I have to write or to do?
Uffffff....... Crazy

Guest Guest
Oh, you can't gift from a gift card, only from a credit card. That's why they won't let you do that.

His contract was up after TLM and either he or RCA decided not to renew it. (see the Shirley Halperin article from last night).

That's the problem with gift cards. If I was able to gift, I would already have done it.

Guest Guest
Quote :

@thedavidcook Thx everyone for the kind words re: the new single! Let's keep the momentum! Get "The Last Song I'll Write For You" on iTunes and Amazon!!!
35 minutes ago

Awww, we'll be there supporting you always, Dave!

Jeannie wrote:
Oh, you can't gift from a gift card, only from a credit card. That's why they won't let you do that.

The same happened to me... I tried to gift Made but Itunes don't let me use the gift card... Very Sad

Made wrote:
Quote :

@thedavidcook Thx everyone for the kind words re: the new single! Let's keep the momentum! Get "The Last Song I'll Write For You" on iTunes and Amazon!!!
35 minutes ago

Awww, we'll be there supporting you always, Dave!

Awww LoveDC CheerleaderGo WordNerds!Awww Love

I'm not worried about this news, to be honest. If Dave continues to put songs like the one he debuted last night... I'm really not worried about him.

Keep doing exactly what you're doing, David. We're here for you no matter what!

I really believe that David is going to be just fine. His fanbase is amazing and very devoted. We will always be there for him and he knows it. It may take awhile but he will be successful.

I know that I'm a fan forever and I've never been this way before about another musician.

DEBRA Joy dance

My thought is that he needs to get away from them. I think it's probably nerve wracking, but he knows he's got a massive amount of people behind him. He's going to be just fine. Just look how the new song has already done, sans RCA...

Plus you notice how much happier he's seemed and the self promo thing is awesome.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.