Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Piper

DID YOU SEE THIS AWFUL ARTICLE ABOUT DAVE ?

Hearne: The Rise & Fall of David Cook

Quote :
Hearne: The Rise & Fall of David Cook
Posted on March 6, 2013 by Hearne Christopher Jr.
Not all American Idol winners are created equal…

And there’s no better example of that than Kansas City’s David Cook, winner of the reality show’s seventh season. Unlike past Idol winners such as Carrie Underwood and Kelly Clarkson who have become household names and achieved superstar status, five years after the fact Cook remains basically, “David who?”

As evidenced by a TMZ brief in December to which the gossip site felt the need to later add a pic of Cook singing along with advisory, “We realized you might need a refresher on who David Cook is …You’re welcome.”

Actually, there’s good news and bad news where Cook’s concerned.

First the good.

Cook has made Forbes list of the Top 10 earning Idols every year since taking top honors in May of 2008. While Forbes methodology of totaling earnings “from album sales, concerts, merchandising and other income sources for the past year” doesn’t equate to bottom line bank, it is a good indication that Cook has fared well financially if not artistically following his big win.

Cook came in at No. 8 on Forbes list in 2009 at $2 million, No. 7 in 2010 at $2.8 million and tied for No. 10 in 2011 and 2012 at $1 million per year.

How much of that green actually hit Cook’s bank account remains unknown, but clearly there was enough dough and cache to enable him to purchase what TMZ described as a $1.3 million Hollywood mansion and engage in a high profile romance with second season Idol contestant Kimberly Caldwell.

Cook’s debut album was certified Platinum in 2009 with sales of over one million units and combined with his lucrative deal with Skechers, he was clearly in the chips.

Now the bad news.

Cook’s second major label album, “This Loud Morning” debuted in June of 2011, garnered tepid reviews at best and sold only 130,000 copies its first year. That’s more than an 87 percent drop from his self-titled debut album.

“Poor David Cook,” wrote a reviewer for US Weekly. “The rocker hasn’t really lived up to his American Idol title since his season 7 win. And while his nimble guitar work and gruff voice are still in fine form on his second CD, they’re squandered on yet another homogenous set of songs. Sadly, it’s another forgettable collection of cliche-soaked lyrics”

“Adam Lambert is widely hailed as the most daring Idol performer, but it was Texas-born David Cook, winner of the show’s seventh season, who laid the foundations for him, with risky, loud, left-field versions of classic pop tunes. He shows no such appetite for taking chances on his second studio album, instead channeling wishy-washy, all-purpose emotion and radio-friendly, anthemic pop-rock choruses that are pale imitations of Cook’s professed alt-rock heroes like Chris Cornell and Alice In Chains…” echoed Rolling Stone reviewer Will Cook. “Cook’s voice still hits a sweet spot occasionally, and the music is accomplished enough. But This Loud Morning isn’t worth waking up for.”

Next thing anyone knew, Cook’s label dumped him, he dumped the Hollywood manse (it was only 3,000 square feet anyway) and was off to Nashville to look for greener pastures and work on a third album.

Cook even got a taste of good-old fashioned Hollywood tabloid journalism early on after he broke up with Caldwell.

“Star magazine reported in December that David checked out an extravagant 2-carat diamond and platinum ring from Tiffany’s to be given to Kimberly when he proposes to her,” aceshowbiz.com writes. “The gem reportedly costs $54,000.

“However, last week Star claimed in a report that Kimberly has ‘been caught in a clinch with a handsome bar manager!’ She ‘flirted, danced, drank and made out with Ryan Der at L.A.’s trendy ONE Sunset on December 29,’ the publication revealed.

“Kim and Ryan, according to a source as being quoted by Star, were seen ‘grinding on the dance floor. They started playfully kissing, but that quickly led to long lip locks until they were full-on making out.’ The source continued, ‘Everyone could see she was really letting loose. She and Ryan were laughing together as they threw back beers and vodka cocktails.’ ”

As for the future, who knows?

Cook might be able to make it as a growling country singer, or strike the right alliances and return to his alt rocking days here in KC. Whatever happens, it’s far better to have been loved and lost than never to have been loved at all.

Cook seemed to recognize that in an MTV interview shortly after winning Idol.

“I actually walked into this with no expectations and I’m walking out of it with no expectations, and I think this show is a springboard, but it’s still a crapshoot,” he said. “I could easily walk out of this arena and just be a regular Joe tomorrow. I hope that’s not the case. That’s kind of up to everybody else.”

Maybe they have an axe to grind? Meh. Some of this sounds personal.

I would agree that the article could have been worded better, but I can't disagree that some of the points are correct.

Like Viv, meh. Maybe I'm just past that negativity, I don't know. But I would say that the way it was worded means there were expectations and in some ways, I'd rather have "them" (or us, for that matter) expect something than nothing at all, if you know what I mean, 'cause that means that they still care?

Guest Guest
Meh is my thought too. It's his opinion, and as my dad used to love to say, "Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, and everyone thinks theirs doesn't stink." And I suspect that a part of that is personal. But he has his right to say it. *shrugs* I don't know if that's a legit news source or a blog or what, and I am not giving him a site hit by clicking the link to find out. For all we know, he's trolling for hits and hoping to stir up controversy in the comments section. Why feed into that?

I just can't get worked up over stuff like that. It's not worth it to me. We know Dave is doing fine, he is happy, he's working on a new album, and he's free to do what he wants with his life. That's what is important to me. JMO.

I would agree that the article could have been worded better, but I can't disagree that some of the points are correct.

Like Viv, meh. Maybe I'm just past that negativity, I don't know. But I would say that the way it was worded means there were expectations and in some ways, I'd rather have "them" (or us, for that matter) expect something than nothing at all, if you know what I mean, 'cause that means that they still care?

I agree... sadly, there is some truth in the article. It bites.

This line (being faux wistful rather than factual) in particular strikes me as a backhanded compliment meant to kick him right in the teeth:

"Whatever happens, it’s far better to have been loved and lost than never to have been loved at all."

It kind of makes him sound a cliche character from a satire about a reality show. Like from that old movie with Hugh Grant and Mandy Moore. American Dreams or something like that?
And his public relationship with Kim kind of lent itself to a cheap and fabricated "circus stardom".

All this of course is just my opinion! Popcorn

He's a beautiful, talented guy and I hope the life he is forging now brings quality music, renewed success, and happiness in the heart.

A lot of people commented.. I found this one that really says a great truth (and also sad one) about Real Music X Success:

Quote :

KLK75 says:
March 6, 2013 at 8:30 pm
I despise “journalists” like you because you couldn’t be further from a real journalist.
You want to know why David Cook hasn’t seen the success he so richly deserves?
It’s because real music is no longer relevant and that is sad! He and his band actually sing, write their own songs and play real instruments. You rarely hear real music and vocals on the radio or on a stage today.
Today’s “music” is based on people who know how to use a computer and make noises and help “singers” sound good.
Today’s “singers” use auto-tuned technology to perform live and on recordings.
When you add the choreographed dancing, the costumes and the stage show, no one is paying attention to what is coming out of their mouths.
With David Cook, you get real music, real lyrics and real vocals. He gives a damn about what he records and releases!!!!
Not many in the music business can say that!!!

ClappingClappingClapping

Guest Guest
That's a nice comment, Chris. But as I said, I am not about to give him site hits. Who cares what he says, and how many people are actually seeing it? I suspect very few beyond fans who had it brought to their attention. It certainly isn't going to hurt him. If he is a troll, responding to him and defending a guy who truly doesn't need our defense is playing right into his hands

I am not telling anyone what to do, as folks can certainly respond if they want. But in my opinion, an article like this is best ignored. Spreading it around doesn't change what it says, but it definitely brings it to the attention of many who wouldn't even see it or know it existed otherwise.

@Piper wrote:
A lot of people commented.. I found this one that really says a great truth (and also sad one) about Real Music X Success:

Quote :

KLK75 says:
March 6, 2013 at 8:30 pm
I despise “journalists” like you because you couldn’t be further from a real journalist.
You want to know why David Cook hasn’t seen the success he so richly deserves?
It’s because real music is no longer relevant and that is sad! He and his band actually sing, write their own songs and play real instruments. You rarely hear real music and vocals on the radio or on a stage today.
Today’s “music” is based on people who know how to use a computer and make noises and help “singers” sound good.
Today’s “singers” use auto-tuned technology to perform live and on recordings.
When you add the choreographed dancing, the costumes and the stage show, no one is paying attention to what is coming out of their mouths.
With David Cook, you get real music, real lyrics and real vocals. He gives a damn about what he records and releases!!!!
Not many in the music business can say that!!!

ClappingClappingClapping

Give KLK75 a Word Nerd #. Awesome post. Thanks for bringing it over here. Smile

Ouch. Coming from his hometown? Just....ouch.

I know that my opinions here are not always popular, because if I criticize something about David that has nothing to do with his music, I get "I don't care about [whatever it is]. If he's happy, I'm happy. Nothing else matters."

Well, clearly these little things that drive me crazy about him DO matter. How many times did I say that associating with a trash bag like Caldwell would come back to bite him? How many? So many times that even I got sick of hearing myself talk about it, that's how many. And yet, here it is, five friggin' years later and the whole thing is being dug up again, making it much bigger than it ever was, and worse, making David look like as big a joke as Caldwell is.

I will grant you that "journalists" like the guy who wrote this article don't care about the truth, don't care about anything, really, except getting a lot of "hits". My God....he even dug up the stupid engagement ring rumor and the "Kim cheated on David" story, both of which were just momentary blips on David's radar. And we can say that it doesn't matter, that it's nothing....BUT IT'S OUT THERE. It's out there now, for everyone to see. Not just people like us, who know it's crap, but people who are just perusing the website, happen upon the article and say, "Oh, David Cook....I kinda remember him. What's he been up to?" And they walk away with the impression that David is has-been and a loser.

Redsoxmom and I do a lot of chatting about David with another friend of ours. It would be great if he would ask our opinions on things. I don't think we've ever steered him wrong in our armchair quarterbacking. But he will do what he will do, and apparently will pay the price....even five years after the fact.

Guest Guest

I do get your point, Dorothy. It is out there. And yes, things from the past can be dredged up on just about anyone. It's the price people pay for the things they do. And the whole Kim thing happened, so what can you do? Too late to shut the barn door. (Off topic, but I had almost forgotten the whole Kim thing until I read that. LOL)

The point I was making was that this guy writes this article looking for hits. Fans see it, they respond to him, they spread the word on twitter and boards like this, hoping to "rally the troops" and it ends up getting so much more attention than it would have had. And more people see it. I know if it hadn't been posted here, I most likely would never know it was written.

I'm sure some people will chance across it, but I doubt that site is a very popular one. But if he writes about Dave and gets a lot of hits, he'll likely do it again. That's why I recommend ignoring stuff like that. By responding and spreading it around, it becomes much bigger than it would have been. Just my opinion... Which along with five bucks will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Wink

Oh, I have no intention of commenting on that website; which, as you point out, doesn't seem to be a very popular one anyway.

But that brings me to item #2 on tonight's bitchfest (while I'm on a roll):

David has taken some sort of a hiatus, trying to regroup/reinvent himself/whatever. And that's all very fine and good. But he still needs to keep himself out there, be more visible. The other day, someone tweeted him, saying, "pls tweet something besides “I’m writing a song” or “My thought are with (insert tragedy)? Snark is welcome. Go."

While I think that complaining because he's sending his thoughts to victims of tragedies is kind of a low blow, I do take her point. How does it help him to stay so completely under the radar for such long stretches of time? He's a smart, funny, clever guy. Surely he can come up with something smart, funny and clever to tweet now and again, or do SOMETHING to let us know that he's still breathing. If it weren't for that chick who saw him at the sushi place, I'd have my doubts.

I know that men are simple creatures, so David, if you're out there, I'll make my advice simple for you:

1. No more trashbags.
2. Show yourself.

@redsoxmom wrote:

He's a beautiful, talented guy and I hope the life he is forging now brings quality music, renewed success, and happiness in the heart.

I'm just gonna Amen this.

And for the "show yourself" idea, I have lots of things to say about it too, but right now I don't have the time to write.

Mods, are we allowed to discuss about it here, maybe in another section/thread? What do you think?

Guest Guest

Not sure what you are asking , Dinna. scratch so long as it falls within the forum rules it can be discussed. i.e. Respectful to Dave and his family and friends, and not invading his privacy. Or are you asking where it fits?

Dorothy, I hear you on that. I love his sense of humor, so he could toss some goofy tweets out there and I would be very happy. And it's always nice to know he's there, busy as he is with what he is doing. Tweets don't take much time. (As to your first suggestion, let's hope he's happily settling in and has outgrown that particular stage.) Wink

Jeannie wrote:
Not sure what you are asking , Dinna. scratch so long as it falls within the forum rules it can be discussed. i.e. Respectful to Dave and his family and friends, and not invading his privacy. Or are you asking where it fits?

Both, lol.

Why pick on one contestant from Idol. Kelly Clarkson was the first winner and Carrie Underwood went country (a complete different genre) Why be so hurtful in writing a 'article' about someone unless you have a personal vendetta. I bet if someone checked this guy out would find he is has some past history to David. I do agree with Jeannie, I won't post this anywhere and will not make any comment on his article anywhere else.

I just checked and Hearne Christopher, Jr. is a Kansas City columnist Here is his picture he is on the left.

photo p10203481-e1355984454343_zps10effa79.jpg

Why pick on one contestant from Idol. Kelly Clarkson was the first winner and Carrie Underwood went country (a complete different genre) Why be so hurtful in writing a 'article' about someone unless you have a personal vendetta.

Why would he write about people like Kelly and Carrie? Yes, Kelly was the "first" winner....more than a decade ago. Hardly newsworthy anymore. Carrie "went" country? Not really. She was "country" from the moment she auditioned. She didn't shock the world by going country after she won.

I don't know if this guy had anything personal against David. He probably just wanted a "juicy" story. What's juicy about two hugely successful winners whose personal lives are, for the most part, squeaky clean? Nothing. But take a hometown boy who tasted success but couldn't hold onto it and who had a public dalliance with Idol's town bicycle, and Terry\'s fav word ......you've got a winner.

Just to let you know that when I said Carrie went 'country' I ment she came as one of the first contestants to be country.. No doubt in my mine the guy (iHearne Christopher, Jr) 1s as green from jealousy as a lime. hehe

* I think David has been a great example of someone who is here for the music and not the attention. After 5 years the only gossip is 4 year old news. I am proud to be a fan!!!

Oh, I have no intention of commenting on that website; which, as you point out, doesn't seem to be a very popular one anyway.

But that brings me to item #2 on tonight's bitchfest (while I'm on a roll):

David has taken some sort of a hiatus, trying to regroup/reinvent himself/whatever. And that's all very fine and good. But he still needs to keep himself out there, be more visible. The other day, someone tweeted him, saying, "pls tweet something besides “I’m writing a song” or “My thought are with (insert tragedy)? Snark is welcome. Go."

While I think that complaining because he's sending his thoughts to victims of tragedies is kind of a low blow, I do take her point. How does it help him to stay so completely under the radar for such long stretches of time? He's a smart, funny, clever guy. Surely he can come up with something smart, funny and clever to tweet now and again, or do SOMETHING to let us know that he's still breathing. If it weren't for that chick who saw him at the sushi place, I'd have my doubts.

I know that men are simple creatures, so David, if you're out there, I'll make my advice simple for you:

1. No more trashbags.
2. Show yourself.

High Five! 100% agree !! Fingers Crossed!!!

I don't know that the guy is jealous. There are performers who are much more successful; why be jealous of David?

No, I think the guy is just a mean-spirited douchebag.

Hmm...who knows - maybe the guy has a wife who is so hung-up on David she adoringly regales him about David's "wonderfulness" all day long! Razz

I just think the guy is WAY out of touch. I mean... Kimberly Caldwell??????? That is soooo old it decomposed a couple of years ago. And if TMZ is a source.... I don't see the credibility in that at all. That's equal to The National Enquirer and stories of alien / human hybrids! I mean, seriously? Once again the press shows it knowledge and class. Or is that the lack of same? It goes back to any press is "good" press. This kind of crap only has life because people keep reading it and responding to it.

I really wish that we could finally put Kim the Skank to rest. It's been 4 years!

Dead Horse!!!

DEBRA

I agree that it was stupid of the guy to bring her up; she's old news. They didn't even date that long.

But I said from the beginning that if you associate with trash, the stench clings to you for a looooong time. And apparently I was right.

I'm surprised he didn't bring up the Kim Johnston article from the Enquirer. I guess he's not as good at digging up old dirt as he thinks he is. Or maybe that will be his next "breaking story".

Same goes for Kim Johnston! Dead Horse!!!Dead Horse!!!

DEBRA