Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Piper

A quick important survey - about Dave's Interview at Broken Records Mag

If Broken Records Mag decides to print a short run of a hard copy issue featuring the Cook article, and it cost $12 or a bit more, would you still order it?

The on-line edition is still on track, but BRM is still trying to determine if there is a demand - or not - for a print issue.

Scott of Broken Records Mag doesn't seem to think DC Fans would pay 12 to 15 dollars for a Printed Magazine...

A friend told him he is underestimating DC Fans... Isn't she right?

Guest Guest
I have to be honest... I would not. I wouldn't have any use for it. I did buy the last one, and I have no idea where it is right now. Plus that is IMO a lot of money for one article, since I am not interested in reading the whole thing.

Overall, I prefer online magazines. They don't take up space, and I rarely retread them.

So for me, the answer is no. Sorry.

Guest Guest
I'm not a collector of memorabilia so I would have to say no.

Guest Guest
As I've said in the other thread, I'm sure some fans would be willing to pay that amount but, to be honest, I don't think they would even cover the cost of printing a hard copy.

Guest Guest
The answer is no for me also.

On a side note: It is a great article written by Cindy (Dudwalt here ) & Longlensgypsy on twitter!

Probably not for me either. Do people pay that much for magazine articles?

I would have to say to include me in the no buy group.

DEBRA

Guest Guest
ShookByCook wrote:
The answer is no for me also.

On a side note: It is a great article written by Cindy (Dudwalt here ) & Longlensgypsy on twitter!

Kudos to Cindy! It is a very well written, enjoyable article Very Happy

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks about my article.  I have one full article and an...article-ette that appeared with the David interview.  (i also wrote an article about a country group, Lantana, but of course, no one cares about this)  I really loved interviewing Andy Waldeck and Chris Reardon. I spoke to them for two hours and about half of the discussion concerned David.  They were fascinating guys.   I wished I could have written a longer article because their musical experiences and associations are so vast, but unfortunately, I had a restricted word count for the article.  Even though the article was to promo them, I made sure I got some David references inserted!  They adore David -- of course they do!

Regarding BRM, I agree with all of you - the articles are published on-line - enough.  I don't need a hard copy either, but I'll probably get one because it holds three of my articles and seven of my photos. Scott wasn't going to publish a hard copy,  but many fans hounded him for such an animal.  I spoke to him on Sat morning and he agreed to produce a very short press run. Of course a short run hikes the price exorbitantly.  Plates still have to be made for the production, whether there are 50 issues or 5000 issues.  The plates are the costliest part of the production, ergo economies of scale are not in effect = a very expensive mag.  Some, however, don't mind paying for this.  He asked me to pose the question for an assessment of press run quantity.

P.S. The hard copy referenced above is the FULL issue of Broken Records Magazine - not just the David article. It will hold many articles. The full issue will also be available on-line as a download and at a fraction of the hard copy cost. I just wanted to clarify this as there seems to be some confusion as to what the hard copy is.

Guest Guest

Cindy, thanks for the clarification. I'm in editing and graphic design myself, so I knew that making the plates alone would be a huge part of the printing cost / final price, more so if the run is small. In your case, getting the hard copy is part of building your portfolio but as fans, many of us will be happy to have either the on-line or the downloadable version Wink

You must have a very interesting and cool job, girl! How wonderful is it to be able to talk to artists like David, Chris and Andy? I love that all the people who have worked with Dave have such a high esteem for him Very Happy