Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Guest

Go Over the Edge With David Cook (ABC2 charity event) 11/2/13

Guest Guest

David will be literally going over the edge - rappelling down the outside of the Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego - on Saturday November 2nd. Proceeds from this charity event will benefit ABC Squared to help in the fight for a cure for brain cancer.

Read More Here!

Quote :
Want to help?

DONATE - Support Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure by making a donation to David's team. The process is fast, easy, and secure... and you can be sure that it will benefit a great cause!

JOIN - if you want to be a real rock star, join the team! Just click the join button above, take a couple minutes to set up your page, and you'll be the newest member of Over the Edge with David Cook.

As a thank you for your efforts we have created some exciting
fundraising/donation incentive levels including:

$50+ = autographed 'Thank You' postcard

$250+ = autographed "I helped David Cook go Over the Edge for Brain Cancer" t-shirt.

$500+ = everything above, plus an autographed 'edger helmet"

$1,500+ = everything above, plus an "Over the Edge" slot on November 3rd to do the rappel yourself! To help you celebrate at the completion of your rappel, David Cook will be there to meet you at the bottom for a special meet and greet! You will also receive two (2) GA tickets to Saturday's show at The Griffin!

$2,500+ = everything above, plus two (2) VIP PASSES to Saturday's show at The Griffin.
That's a 365 foot building he'll be rappelling down... Yikes

image11.jpg

Guest Guest
Shocked Me and heights don't mix well.

Guest Guest
You are hooked up in ropes and harnesses and lower yourself down the wall. I have a fear of heights... I could NEVER do that.

Never say never, Jeannie Wink

I'm also afraid of heights (I get sweaty when I look down from the top floor of the mall, for example) but I'm really intrigued and I want to try. At least this sounds a lot safer than bungee jumping (in my mind, heh).

The thing I'm most concerned is my weight tho, it would weigh me down when rappelling.

Guest Guest
 image11.jpg

That!s the hotel he'll be coming down.

I would have preferred that he release a song that you can download for a $10 donation. I think a lot of people would participate. The list above tells me that there isn't much interest in donations less than $50. Many people want to help others, but not everyone has $50 plus to donate to their favorite cause.

Guest Guest

A song for charity would be nice, and maybe he'll do it someday. I think it would be a great fundraiser!

This isn't something he came up with though. ABC squared is having the event, and many people have teams and will be doing the rappelling. It's similar to the Race for Hope in that way. I am sure they happily accept any size donation, but they offered incentives to try and up the donations, which I am fine with.

I will probably make a $10 donation just to support the cause, but I focus my giving on the RFH, which I actually participate in. Plus, he's kind of got my extra money right now with the shows I am going to. Wink

But it should be a fun event with proceeds going to a great cause. Deana tweeted that they are "working on" trying to get some sort of video stream so everyone could watch from home that can't be there. I hope that works out... It would be fun to watch (if a bit nerve wracking, lol). If nothing else, I hope some of the west coast fans get out there and video it.

If we go I will try to get video, when I'm not praying for his safety. I agree with Jamie. That boy is crazy!

Haha, I'm surprised many of you think he's crazy Wink

Deana says rappelling is totally safe and I imagine all the equipments will be new (at least well-maintained), unlike the old ropes and harnesses we have here Razz

Guest Guest

I don't think he's crazy... Just not something I would do. Wink My sons, on the other hand, would be completely pumped to do it.

I have no doubt it will be safe for him. There is no way they do an event like this if it wasn't. They have done this at this hotel for other charities before. You can search YouTube and find videos.

It's not face first, right? THAT I'm 100% sure I can't do.

Btw, I thought it was endearing, the way y'all think he's "crazy" Wink

Guest Guest
LOL Face No, it's not face first.

Guest Guest
Jeannie wrote:
I don't think he's crazy... Just not something I would do. ;)My sons, on the other hand, would be completely pumped to do it.

I have no doubt it will be safe for him. There is no way they do an event like this if it wasn't. They have done this at this hotel for other charities before. You can search YouTube and find videos.

My son jumped out an airplane. So I'm pretty sure he would think climbing down a building would be fun.

Just so that everyone knows, I sent this info to my half sister Colleen [whose a San Diego based lawyer...and also a HUGE David fan]. She's thinking about going to this.

My boss at my last job did this last year for Special Olympics New York! It was a 13-story building, I believe. He invited any of us to do it with him, but I was a little wary, lol. It's totally safe though, and they give you a quick lesson beforehand. And the best part is your back is to the ground so at no point do you have to be aware of exactly how far you are from the ground!

Guest Guest

OMG, though I know it's totally safe, this totally freaks me out Run

Does anyone know what time this event is supposed to take place? I want to see if we can be there on time to watch.

Guest Guest
Per Deanna, sometime between 3:00 and 4:00 in the afternoon. For those of us not close, she says they are taking video, and it will be posted on Sunday.

Fun! I haven't done it in years but rappelling is GREAT fun IMO! You are hanging off a rope, feet on the surface, leaning way back, and you kick out so that you are kinda flying, and fall a little ways and land again a bit lower than where you kicked off. You just keep doing that from top to bottom. I've only ever done it where 1) it's a giant rock not a building and 2) I actually climb UP it before rappelling down but the principle is the same. I find it tremendous fun - I hope he enjoys it.

If it were $15 instead of $15 hundred, and in my area, and I could escape without doing the M&G afterwards, I'd be all over it!

Guest Guest

All of that sounds amazing, Stacy! Hope he'll be alright, I'm kinda freaked out by these kind of adventures.  Freaked!

Coward me LOL Face

Thanks Jeannie. Hopefully my Sis and I can find where we need to go for this. 3-4 Sounds good.

Saw him before he did this. We told him to be safe we need to see him tonight. Then some people walked over with two beautiful Springer Spaniels. One was a puppy. we were talking to them and petting the dogs when I heard this guy say Can I pet your dogs. I looked up and it was Dave. He's such a sweetheart. It was cool seeing him up close and personal again. Been a few years for me. Gotta be honest I didn't recognize him. I saw this guy with a beard and I was like is that him? I don't think so. But my sis just started talking to him. lol

Guest Guest

Aw Viv that's a great story. He really does change his looks often. When he walked past me at tennis last year I told him I didn't recognize him with a bandana around his head. He told me he was going for the "Alan Thicke" look LOL Face

I had seen him in Tampa two months before but that was when he was growing it out because of the bet with MTV guy. I love that he does all these charity events Smile

Thanks for the Ustream tonight. Listening & watching right now!

Guest Guest

From the OTE people...

image12.jpg

Also, not only did Dave meet his personal goal, he exceeded his team goal of $30,000 before he started down the building. Way to go, people!

Guest Guest
 image13.jpg

Another to with thanks to OTE.

Guest Guest

One more from his interview at the top...

image14.jpg

Guest Guest

Thanks to everyone who provided video and photos!

Viv, I'm glad you had a great weekend Very Happy 

Enjoyed the pics and vids! Thanks! Great 

DEBRA

So happy for you Viv I know it was great for you to see him again after all these years and to be that close when petting the pupps must of been great for you I can only Imagine your face when you realized it was him Great Great Great Shocked Shocked Shocked 

I'm sure it was a funny look. because I thought he'd gone inside to get ready for his rapple. apparently not. lol

Wait, Aida? You were there???? Damn, I would have liked to have met you.

Lol! Yes, I was there, Viv!
On the video it was posted I was the one who yelled "Almost there, You can do it!" and lots of nonsense, HAHAHA.
Was a GREAT day!!! And the concert...can't even Smile.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.